D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
TMS didn't mess with my expectations, it just confused me, I didn't understand why promote it as a crossover and let it sit for so long to present that. I was waiting for a Devil Survivor skin but I didn't care that much either, although I'm a big fan of both sagas, the idea of the crossover and its possible stories didn't interest me much. So with the fact that it went well in gameplay I was happy.

Btw, this is a Megaten thread and we haven't talked about our favorite demons, obviously my favorite is Sonic Lucifer Frost, our lord and savior.
It's simply impossible for me to choose just one favorite demon. Pretty much every demon is fantastic. If I have to choose, though, it's Jack Frost. Hee's just perfect, ho.

Ee5
And a great salesman.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ringo and MellowAvenue
MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
I really don't know who my favorite is, though Black Frost is up there. I was trying to add this pic to my initial post on this thread but images weren't uploading properly at the time.

6E75CB45 1F04 4237 B78C F971BAAC8CAF

Also started on SMT III Nocturne. Still super early into it though because I haven't really been able to get a long term session of it in yet.

Reactions: DynamicDepression and Ringo
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I really don't know who my favorite is, though Black Frost is up there. I was trying to add this pic to my initial post on this thread but images weren't uploading properly at the time.

View attachment 92831

Also started on SMT III Nocturne. Still super early into it though because I haven't really been able to get a long term session of it in yet.
Black Frost is king. Hope you'll like Nocturne!

So let's do something bigger, a whole demon party.
Here's my dream team (no Jacks included, because that simply isn't fair):
  • Agathion
  • Sudama
  • Alice (fascinated by the story behind her and how they tied it in with Alice in Wonderland)
  • Adrammelech (who can say no to a drag queen peacock donkey?)
And if we include Personas, Milady is badass.

That being said, just these four(five) don't do it justice.

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Ringo
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Well, you don't necessarily have to choose just 4, I said it because we can usually carry between 10 and 14 demons with us in most games.

Kohryu / Long Huang. The golden dragon that rules over the earth element and all the great celestial beasts, wise but fierce, is a mythological figure that I love and his representation in megaten is no less, I also earned him a lot of respect because, apart from being a very good addition to a party, the guy is a very difficult optional boss Celestial Ray flashbacks.

Alice, I always try to have a fiend in my party and she is my default option, she earned a lot of my respect in Raidou Kuzunoha and Devil Survivor 2.

Black Frost 'cuz FROOOOOSTY DeSe1 spoilers

Some MVPs or good bosses

Cybele
Shiva.
Loki
Thor
Baal
Angra Mainyu
Cleopatra
Masakado
Ame no Uzume
Kresnik
Sonic

Even mentioning so many daemons still many are left out. If we count the atmas from DDS I really liked Varna, Cerberus, Vayu and Agni. As for Persona... Uhm, I'd say Tsukuyomi, Messiah, and Magatsu Izanagi.

Messiah particularly interested me because it is a representation of the concept itself and all the design of it comes from elements of Personas associated with Minako and Minato.

Reactions: MellowAvenue and DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Well, you don't necessarily have to choose just 4, I said it because we can usually carry between 10 and 14 demons with us in most games.

Kohryu / Long Huang. The golden dragon that rules over the earth element and all the great celestial beasts, wise but fierce, is a mythological figure that I love and his representation in megaten is no less, I also earned him a lot of respect because, apart from being a very good addition to a party, the guy is a very difficult optional boss Celestial Ray flashbacks.

Alice, I always try to have a fiend in my party and she is my default option, she earned a lot of my respect in Raidou Kuzunoha and Devil Survivor 2.

Black Frost 'cuz FROOOOOSTY DeSe1 spoilers

Some MVPs or good bosses

Cybele
Shiva.
Loki
Thor
Baal
Angra Mainyu
Cleopatra
Masakado
Ame no Uzume
Kresnik
Sonic

Even mentioning so many daemons still many are left out. If we count the atmas from DDS I really liked Varna, Cerberus, Vayu and Agni. As for Persona... Uhm, I'd say Tsukuyomi, Messiah, and Magatsu Izanagi.

Messiah particularly interested me because it is a representation of the concept itself and all the design of it comes from elements of Personas associated with Minako and Minato.
I kept Ame no Uzume way too long when playing SMT V. She starts at level 22 and I kept her all the way into the 50s. I also kept Black Frost (level 44) until the end of the game. Even used him against the final boss (which went down in two turns but that's neither here nor there).

I notice a lot of your favorite demons are high-level deities. I'm more a fan of the low-to-mid-level demons, myself. Makami, Jack-o'-Lantern, Pixie, etc. I never got to use Cleopatra because she's DLC. Her Frolic animation sure is something though. I'm a gay man, but damn.

I love that Minako/Minato had a whooping four Personas associated with them (Orpheus, Orpheus Prime, Thanatos, and Messiah). I wonder if future Persona games will try that again or if they'll keep the two + remake addition?

Do you know if it's possible to get Sonic and other event demons in Dx2 or are they gone now after the events? I was considering starting Dx2 again.

MellowAvenue

MellowAvenue

👻
Nov 5, 2020
Some of my other favorites are probably Chernobog, Orobas, Thor, Neko-Shogun, Cat Sith, and Probably Arsene far as Persona goes. I think Smash is why I like Arsene so much though… Wish I hadn't sold my Switch.

Reactions: DynamicDepression
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Some of my other favorites are probably Chernobog, Orobas, Thor, Neko-Shogun, Cat Sith, and Probably Arsene far as Persona goes. I think Smash is why I like Arsene so much though… Wish I hadn't sold my Switch.
One thing I genuinely love about Persona 5 is the cast's Persona designs. They're all incredible. I mean, we have a UFO based on a Lovecraftian grimoire and a motorcycle based on a popess.

O

Okami

Student
Mar 16, 2018
The only Persona game I've finished is Persona 5. To be honest, I watched a playthrough instead of playing it myself since I knew I'd never be able to complete it on my own. I lack the motivation to actually stick with games or anything else that takes longer than a few hours. Thanks, ADHD.

Overall, I think Persona 5 is slightly above average. I really enjoyed Joker as a protagonist with his style and joke replies, and I also thought Akechi was really interesting. The majority of the characters were pretty fun in general, though they also felt fairly barebones and not many stood out as particularly engaging. I especially feel bad for characters like Ann, who just felt shoved aside after the second major fight or so. And poor Haru really suffers from a lack of screen time in comparison to the others.

I don't think the gameplay is personally for me, but I can see why it's so loved by many. The soundtrack is really great, too, though that can be said for the entire series.

For the other games, I actually tried a bit of Persona 1 for myself but quickly gave up because of the gameplay. I've also started watching playthroughs of 2, 3, and 4. I'm the furthest in 3 and have about the same opinions on it as a I do P5. Minato and Yukari are cute.

In terms of other Megami Tensei games, I watched a playthrough of Devil Survivor 2 and enjoyed it. Daichi and Alcor are real gems.

Also, Persona 3 has the best opening in the series (the PS2 version) and P5s and P4s are pretty weak (though the second opening of the anime is a bop). Fight me.

Reactions: DynamicDepression and MellowAvenue
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I kept Ame no Uzume way too long when playing SMT V. She starts at level 22 and I kept her all the way into the 50s. I also kept Black Frost (level 44) until the end of the game. Even used him against the final boss (which went down in two turns but that's neither here nor there).

I notice a lot of your favorite demons are high-level deities. I'm more a fan of the low-to-mid-level demons, myself. Makami, Jack-o'-Lantern, Pixie, etc. I never got to use Cleopatra because she's DLC. Her Frolic animation sure is something though. I'm a gay man, but damn.

I love that Minako/Minato had a whooping four Personas associated with them (Orpheus, Orpheus Prime, Thanatos, and Messiah). I wonder if future Persona games will try that again or if they'll keep the two + remake addition?

Do you know if it's possible to get Sonic and other event demons in Dx2 or are they gone now after the events? I was considering starting Dx2 again.
I think it makes sense, when I just question myself about why I get attached to a demon, most of the ones that have relevant roles or are imposing bosses are deities. Of course, there exist exceptions, like the fiends, most of them being grim reapers that represent different visions of death, the powerful Wendigo in DeSu1, FROOOOOSTY from that same game I also love it, he literally becomes a Black Frost adopting the philosophy of a magical girl hahaha, Yama/Enma was cool too.

In Megaten it is somewhat difficult to keep demons for a long time, beyond fusions, several games make it difficult to make minor demons stronger and many times it is not worth it due to their innate resistances and weaknesses. Of course there are exceptions like the fiends, in games DeSu is an exemple, certain skills patch that, that's why I reached the 8th day with demons that you get at lvl 40 like Hecate, Kulad, Kresnik or even lower like Odin, Wendigo and Shuvu.

The Raidou Kuzunoha or in general the Devil Summoner games give you a lot of opportunity to appreciate them, because of how the special skills work.
In P5R all the characters have 3 personas, but only Ren and Akechi can switch between them by having the Wild Card if I remember correctly, but they are more of an evolution or second and third awakening rather than a completely different persona.

Minako and Minato's personas were independent of each other except for Orpheous and Orpheos Telos. Messiah and Thanatos were from different arcanas, Messiah represented the role of the protagonist and -according to PQ- the fullness of the World Arcana, because in P3 it was Judgment arcana, right?

And Thanatos, according to my vague memory, owed his existence to the protagonist's close connection with death, since the thirteenth shadow was inside them
As I understand, you have to wait for the reruns. I'm glad to have Sonic in a Megaten, but it also makes me laugh because, looking back, Sonic has fought around 30 deities and like 50 mystical beings.
I never got to use Cleopatra because she's DLC. Her Frolic animation sure is something though. I'm a gay man, but damn.
Did I forget to mention this, did they make her DLC again? Damn Atlus. Going back to the topic, pfffffff, that's funny, when I read that I spit out the milk I was drinking haha. I'm bisexual but that wasn't really a reason, I really liked her boss fight and she kicked my ass several times so I stayed with that impression. In general, no megaten character really interests me in that way, except Naoya, I want him to stare at me with those red eyes all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: DynamicDepression and MellowAvenue
D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I especially feel bad for characters like Ann, who just felt shoved aside after the second major fight or so.
Me too. I hate that Ann got sidelined so badly after the first arc. I thought she was the most interesting character in the game and hate how she got reduced to pure fanservice. Speaking of, the scenes where she is sexually harassed that are played for comedy are really disgusting. She deserved better than that.

Also, Persona 3 has the best opening in the series (the PS2 version) and P5s and P4s are pretty weak (though the second opening of the anime is a bop). Fight me.
raises fists

I disagree about P4 and P5 having weak openings, but I do agree that P3 has the best opening in the modern series (Persona 2 still has the best openings in the series overall).

I think it makes sense, when I just question myself about why I get attached to a demon, most of the ones that have relevant roles or are imposing bosses are deities.
That makes sense. I think I get attached to lower-level demons because at that point it's more a fight for survival than later in the game. Makes the bond stronger in a way, you feel me?

FROOOOOSTY from that same game I also love it, he literally becomes a Black Frost adopting the philosophy of a magical girl hahaha
Seriously? I'm a huge magical girl fan so I guess Dx2 is on hold till I've played DeSu1.

As I understand, you have to wait for the reruns.
Well, damn. Hopefully, there'll be a rerun soon enough then. Do you know if they count towards compendium completion?

Did I forget to mention this, did they make her DLC again? Damn Atlus. Going back to the topic, pfffffff, that's funny, when I read that I spit out the milk I was drinking haha. I'm bisexual but that wasn't really a reason, I really liked her boss fight and she kicked my ass several times so I stayed with that impression. In general, no megaten character really interests me in that way, except Naoya, I want him to stare at me with those red eyes all day.
Nah, me neither. I did have the hots for Kanji when I was younger though.

Speaking of boss fights, what is your favorite MegaTen boss? My favorite is probably Shadow Mitsuo because of all the old JRPG references. The actual fight isn't anything to write home about, but the stylistic choices more than make up for it, in my opinion.

Reactions: MellowAvenue and Okami
O

Okami

Student
Mar 16, 2018
Persona 2 still has the best openings in the series overall

I used to dislike the Persona 2 openings, but they've grown on me a lot over time. I really like the vibe of both of Eternal Punishment's, and the PSP version of Innocent Sin has really nice visuals and a catchy song. Even though I didn't grow up with those games, I can practically feel the nostalgia from them, if that makes any sense. I'm still not a fan of the original PS1 version of Innocent Sin's opening, though.

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Nah, me neither. I did have the hots for Kanji when I was younger though.

Speaking of boss fights, what is your favorite MegaTen boss? My favorite is probably Shadow Mitsuo because of all the old JRPG references. The actual fight isn't anything to write home about, but the stylistic choices more than make up for it, in my opinion.
That's a difficult one, because there are games where I like almost all the bosses like Nocturne, Desu 1 and 2, SMT IV, DDS1 and more.

But if I had to choose just one, I would stay with Stephen in SMT IV: A, atmosphere aside, you along with 4 messiahs trying to survive the onslaught of a calm sir who, based on knowledge, surpassed any capricious avatar of the Axiom, the battle it is very lively, it is one of those that forces you to exploit the systems and be attentive with the modifications of stats, items and others, that is my type of battle in Megaten.

To mention others, Huang Long in DDS1, Satan, Shiva and Vishnu in DDS2, Jezebel and Susano-o in DeSu1, Alice in DeSu2, Raidou and Raido in Soul Hackers...
Well, damn. Hopefully, there'll be a rerun soon enough then. Do you know if they count towards compendium completion?
Well, the ones from DMC, Bayonetta and Sonic are probably due to the relationship Sega has with those franchises or their developers, I don't know much about the others, because I don't know how things move in the manga industry.

Technically yes, their information is recorded but the collab characters do not fuse, they are obtained through events, also you can only re-summon 1 to 3 stars demon from the compendium.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
That's a difficult one, because there are games where I like almost all the bosses like Nocturne, Desu 1 and 2, SMT IV, DDS1 and more.

But if I had to choose just one, I would stay with Stephen in SMT IV: A, atmosphere aside, you along with 4 messiahs trying to survive the onslaught of a calm sir who, based on knowledge, surpassed any capricious avatar of the Axiom, the battle it is very lively, it is one of those that forces you to exploit the systems and be attentive with the modifications of stats, items and others, that is my type of battle in Megaten.
This battle is DLC, right? I don't remember it being in Apocalypse and I've played it a couple of times.

Well, the ones from DMC, Bayonetta and Sonic are probably due to the relationship Sega has with those franchises or their developers, I don't know much about the others, because I don't know how things move in the manga industry.

Technically yes, their information is recorded but the collab characters do not fuse, they are obtained through events, also you can only re-summon 1 to 3 stars demon from the compendium.
Alas. Thanks for clarifying!

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
This battle is DLC, right? I don't remember it being in Apocalypse and I've played it a couple of times.
Yup, it's part of a DLC about YVHV erasing souls from the reincarnation cycle.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Yup, it's part of a DLC about YVHV erasing souls from the reincarnation cycle.
Remember when the whole game was included when you bought it? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• Love
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I consider the cases of DeSu 2 RB and the Nocturne remaster worse, how the hell do you prelease DLC to a definitive version?

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I consider the cases of DeSu 2 RB and the Nocturne remaster worse, how the hell do you prelease DLC to a definitive version?
Just Atlus being Atlus. That is the precise reason why I refuse to buy their DLC. It's so scummy.

PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

Mar 20, 2022
I finally played p5r last years and it was very enjoyable. I'm currently playing p3r and it's amazing in my opinion. I plan to try MegaTen 5 when I'm over with p3r. What should I expect from it ?