• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

E

Endless

Sep 25, 2018
I read a lot of people here knocking psychs and psych medications and I totally respect their opinion. However, it has me often questioning if I am the only one who has had good experiences with these things (don't get me wrong it's not all been good) and sees value in them?

A bit about me. I have bipolar disorder and have taken some form of psychiatric medication since I was a teenager. I think I have a really good psychiatrist who does a good job, when I have been in hospital and heard horror stories about other patients doctors I've realised he is the exception not the rule.

My illness is lifelong and episodic and statistically speaking has a high suicide rate. I've accepted that one day I probably will tire of the episodes and ctb even though that's not right now, I want to be prepared. I know that sounds at odds with me saying I am appreciative of my treatment... But I can't be 'cured' just managed to some degree.

So, anyone else in a similar situation or am I the only one here? Would love to hear from anyone who can relate

onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
I read a lot of people here knocking psychs and psych medications and I totally respect their opinion. However, it has me often questioning if I am the only one who has had good experiences with these things (don't get me wrong it's not all been good) and sees value in them?

A bit about me. I have bipolar disorder and have taken some form of psychiatric medication since I was a teenager. I think I have a really good psychiatrist who does a good job, when I have been in hospital and heard horror stories about other patients doctors I've realised he is the exception not the rule.

My illness is lifelong and episodic and statistically speaking has a high suicide rate. I've accepted that one day I probably will tire of the episodes and ctb even though that's not right now, I want to be prepared. I know that sounds at odds with me saying I am appreciative of my treatment... But I can't be 'cured' just managed to some degree.

So, anyone else in a similar situation or am I the only one here? Would love to hear from anyone who can relate

Hi Endless.

I think I'm in a very similar situation to you. Bipolar since I was a teenager, originally diagnosed with major depressive disorder. Been trying treatments for around ten years (I'm 30 now) and so far I haven't found anything. But many people take years of trying medications before they find something that works for them. And I have had horrific experiences with medication, had a manic episode at 19 when I was prescribed an SSRI and experienced full blown psychosis ending with a suicide attempt.

Been on lithium for around a year and just started a new medication, quetiapine, and I'm hopeful that it'll help. Only been on it two days and so far it's hard to say if I feel better mentally but it has reduced my nausea (caused by the severe emotional pain) to the point where I am eating solids again so that is a good sign. Fingers crossed.

There are times when I am suffering so badly that I really want to ctb, but I have made a personal resolution to try every available treatment first. I need to know that I have no chance of living a pain free life before suicide is justified. If that day comes though I want to be ready to go painlessly so I have started making preparations even though I will probably have to tolerate living this hell for another year or so. Unless I find something that works :)

So now I have a strategy to get well, and if that fails I have a solid exit plan too.

BlackDragonof1989

BlackDragonof1989

Mage
Jul 12, 2018
Yeah I think they can help, seems hit or miss kind of but celexa helped for awhile, risperdal made me zombiefied, and dxm though its otc has given me euphoria or at least increased empathy but also varying degrees of psychosis in a panicked way so hard to say, there are a lot I haven't tried.

Reactions: lv-gras
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
Actual psych meds have been hit or miss for me, but even when they worked out okay, I've always had to quit because the side effects were too much.

The best meds I've had good experiences with aren't psych meds per se: I take propranolol for physical symptoms of anxiety and baclofen for exaggerated startle response related to trauma.

Retched

Retched

I see the chaos in your eyes.
Oct 8, 2018

I was on waaay too many and then did something stupid, stopped taking them all. 6 months later, I'm back on two that seem to be helping. It's better then being in psychosis- but it took me three different meds before I found two that were "OK" going to wean off of one of them soon though, I don't like the side effects. Nothing wrong with taking them, but there are a lot of bad experiences with them as well. Pharma destroyed my life. But I'm still using it as a tool now. Works or not works, I don't know. All I know it is better than how I was feeling, but I think I'm on a pharma merry go round. So don't worry, if it works for you, then hey, it works for you. My psych dr was a quack who just pushed pharma and I just listened (my bad) so I am glad you have a good one.