• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

S

SodaBaconWeed

Jul 22, 2020
Like do you live alone and have no family or friends? How do you cope?

I live with my parents but I'm dreading the day they are gone. Loneliness already is painful but I can't imagine a day when they're not here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to find coping strategies for the day that I am truly alone and if someone here has experience that would be great.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I used to live alone a few months ago but tried to CTB, failed and now I'm a prisoner living in hell (with my parents)

I don't have many friends left but it's my own fault because I'm not interesting in having any kind of relationship with anybody. I've isolated from the world, even social networks!
Let's say this website is the only place in which I interact with others apart from my family members.

How do I cope? Thinking of death every day and having hobbies (videogames, learning languages, music, etc)

My hope is to die next year and end this suffering once and for all and remember:

"We live together but we die alone"

toseeyousmile

toseeyousmile

Nov 23, 2020
Though I live with my family I've felt pretty alone for the most part and for that I guess distractions would be the best way to cope with that, be it a hobby(video games, movies, cooking), or doing something productive.

Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I live alone. I have family, but I rarely see them. I only have 2 real friends left, but the distances between us are too great, I rarely see them, either. I like living alone, but I am lonely. It gets a little easier with time, age and experience, but the loneliness is always there.

D

Desi

Student
Aug 16, 2019
I feel very lonely, too. Specially right now. I've always felt there was an invisible wall between me and the rest of the world, somehow, that. A communication problem deeply grooved in my brain that i can't get over. I've always had very difficult communication with my mother, she would't interact with me, since the very beginning. Sometimes i feel mentally handicapped.

degeneratewaste

degeneratewaste

dressed for the grave.
Aug 24, 2020
I live alone, around 80 miles away from all of my family. and I hate it. the loneliness consumes me every single day. it's so painful, and I have to constantly distract myself to keep afloat. the silence is deafening.

Rn110bg101

Rn110bg101

I want to go home
Apr 18, 2019
I live with my mom because of mental disorders and I don't want to bother moving out. I have no real friends, only acquaintances I talk with to pass time. Eventually the loneliness just becomes emptiness instead.

botanormal

botanormal

Mage
Nov 9, 2020
I haven't had friends I can interact with irl in many years, and I do feel really lonely sometimes. I try to distract myself with other things, like work and youtube, but those moments where I have nothing to do, the loneliness really sinks in. Sometimes being lonely can drive me to talk to people I know are no good for me, just to try and fill the emptiness in my heart. But I'm able to use this site to distract myself from it too, so that's something that helps.

I'm sorry you feel this way, and so many others too. I wish there were an easier fix, but if it's impossible to make new friends, what else can be done? I guess you just have to try and find things to pass the time, like maybe some hobbies you might be interested in. I hope it gets easier for you, nobody deserves to feel this way. Sending hugs to you, and everybody else who feels the same way. :hug::hug:

newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
My mother died 10 years ago and I have lived alone ever since. I really don't mind it and I do get lonely sometimes however loneliness is not even a contributing factor to my mental state. Recent physical ailments have thrown me into a severe depression.

S

SodaBaconWeed

Jul 22, 2020
My mother died 10 years ago and I have lived alone ever since. I really don't mind it and I do get lonely sometimes however loneliness is not even a contributing factor to my mental state. Recent physical ailments have thrown me into a severe depression.

do you have other family or friends? If not, how do you get through the day with no human interaction? Do you work?

• Love
Reactions: botanormal
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
do you have other family or friends? If not, how do you get through the day with no human interaction? Do you work?
I do not work. I have lived in nyc my whole life and am tired of crowds. I have a brother and nephews that I do not see very often. My only human interaction is saying hello to people in my crowded ass building and in all the crowded ass stores. That's enough human interaction for me. Fuck zoo dork city.

• Hugs
Reactions: x~Sophia~x
J

JustABunchOfAtoms

She/they
Jul 23, 2020
I'm a very popular person. I have this a quality were after talking to someone for about a day, I become their favourite person. And I'm not exaggerating.

And I hate it. It makes ctbing hard, both because when I "go missing" people go out of their way to look for me and increases the chances of me getting "caught".

Also, I'm a "people person", in that case meaning that I like most people and am more empathetic that most so knowing they will be upset by my death even a tiny bit makes me feel guilty.

Also thinking about it, I'm white, a woman and a "vulnerable adult". If I ctb it will likely make the news. There are people who get upset when people ctb in general, even if the person who ctb was a stranger.
To anyone feeling lonely, I will be your friend **virtual hugs**

B

Bigpink

Warlock
Oct 12, 2020
I live with ma but am to all intents and purposes alone. I think I prefer it, not so good around people, always feel inadequate and second rate but I can pass myself off as a normal human being (whatever that is!) In social/work situations

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I live alone and don't have many friends who I stay in contact with in rl which never used to bother me.
Until my physical disability got a lot worse.
Like I said I'm usually a pretty solitary person who only needs company once every few months.
But since I need more and more help I have to involve my family more and more - which sucks because they are so different from me. And around people who don't really understand me I feel incredibly lonely and isolated.
So my feeling of loneliness and being all alone in the world exacerbated through closer contact (with the wrong kind of people) which is kinda contradictory - but how I feel.

Last edited:
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Sorry to hear you're feeling so lonely.

I live alone and have a few close friends, but I'm estranged from family despite being the "victim," in the situation. Most often I'm alone, even working alone/remotely for my jobs.

I find I don't feel so lonely when I fill my days with activities or hobbies. Don't know if this can help, but I hope you find something that works for you. :)

it'sokaytowishtodie

it'sokaytowishtodie

Dec 1, 2020
I live with my family and currently I have 3 people I potentially spend a couple hours with every couple weeks. I do feel lonely a lot mainly since I've never experienced what being loved feels like. Sometimes it physically hurts and keeps me up at night.

I bought a weighted blanket a couple weeks ago and it seems to help somewhat actually. It feels a bit like a slight hug for your whole body. It's not going to replace physical contact, but I think it's quite nice for what it is :)
Watching series and movies doesn't really help me, but listening to the right type of music does.

There are also times when I want to isolate myself and want to avoid everyone, my family included.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
Even when your surrounded with loved ones mental illness tend to make you feel alone.

Reactions: newave3
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'm alone with my parents and I have distanced myself from my friends because I'm really negative all the time. I personally like being alone and I don't feel lonely. One of the reasons might be because I have a lot of hobbies.
I like to watch YouTube, shows, movies
Make jewelry like earrings or rings
Drawing or painting
Listening and exploring new music
Sculpting, sewing etc
Playing games

I guess doing stuff with my hands and combining that with visual distraction makes me feel good. That sounds very wrong but what I'm thinking is making jewelry while I watch a YouTube video or playgames while watching something.
I enjoy being alone because if I had to keep up with friends and people I wouldn't have time to do my hobbies and those are the only things keeping me alive so I'm putting them forward plus I have anxiety and get panic attacks
20F942F6 D58A 4686 AFD6 31928DB41398
296F0361 7733 477B 8EFC E152BD9D13F0
3511D33C 357E 44CA B651 F061BE8A662F
you can always start being more creative even if you weren't born with a passion to create or with a drive to do stuff like this. Maybe it will help you. Some people also prefer exercise and stuff

D

Desi

Student
Aug 16, 2019
Being around here is kind of one, don't you think ? It's something

yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019

I live with my parents but I'm dreading the day they are gone. Loneliness already is painful but I can't imagine a day when they're not here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to find coping strategies for the day that I am truly alone and if someone here has experience that would be great.

There are no coping strategies to loneliness. In fact all of the people die alone. There is no exception to that

Echo

Echo

Easily Forgotten
Oct 28, 2020
I'm alone with my parents and I have distanced myself from my friends because I'm really negative all the time. I personally like being alone and I don't feel lonely. One of the reasons might be because I have a lot of hobbies.
I like to watch YouTube, shows, movies
Make jewelry like earrings or rings
Drawing or painting
Listening and exploring new music
Sculpting, sewing etc
Playing games

I guess doing stuff with my hands and combining that with visual distraction makes me feel good. That sounds very wrong but what I'm thinking is making jewelry while I watch a YouTube video or playgames while watching something.
I enjoy being alone because if I had to keep up with friends and people I wouldn't have time to do my hobbies and those are the only things keeping me alive so I'm putting them forward plus I have anxiety and get panic attacks
View attachment 53606
View attachment 53607
View attachment 53608
you can always start being more creative even if you weren't born with a passion to create or with a drive to do stuff like this. Maybe it will help you. Some people also prefer exercise and stuff
I just wanted to say i love your wire wrapped rings!! :hug:
I created in the same vein, until my spark went out just before covid hit. Haven't created much since-

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I just wanted to say i love your wire wrapped rings!! :hug:
I created in the same vein, until my spark went out just before covid hit. Haven't created much since-
Aw thank you, and sad to hear that. I hope you get some creative muse soon:)

• Hugs
Reactions: Echo
Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
I was living on my own for a while, was going to university, dropped out, and lived off of my tuition for a while. I was alone all day every day for months. I didn't really have anyone close for most of my life; I keep everyone at arm's length. So I suppose it wasn't as huge as an adjustment for me as it was for most people. I didn't interact with anyone IRL except for a couple of words with the checkout lady at the grocer, or the cashier at the gas station. I coped with a lot of acid and cigarettes. I was very alone but I miss it. It was much better than growing up with my parents and moving back in after all that. To be alone is not a bad thing. A lot of development can come from it. But there's a difference between being alone and being lonely. I feel very lonely with my parents, but when I was living on my own I was not lonely too often, even though I was very much alone.

Reactions: Spitfire
Echo

Echo

Easily Forgotten
Oct 28, 2020

I live alone, my bf works long shifts and i barely see him, and i don't see my extremely few friends anymore due to covid.

My parents are still around and i do have a sibling who has a little white picket fence family and they have little to do with me, the childless black sheep of the fam jam.

I know that if i lived longer than my parents, i would well and truly have no roots, even the toxic ones i currently have feel better than none.

It's yet another factor in things for me- another layer in the onion...

I get so anxious about it at times that it overwhelms me. Does it do the same to you?

Things you might consider doing, if these things are available in your area right now during covid as much is cancelled or postponed...

- one can reach out to your local volunteer organizations such as the food bank etc. By even going to help out an hour or two each week you could build friendships and develop a link with your community. This fosters and builds a future connection
(Many years ago i used to volunteer with dementia patients in an old age home. It was so rewarding to help.)

-look up local community centres. See if there are any adult drop in style groups being run and attend. (Some of these are currently bring held online)

- if you are religious you could start attending a church service- sing in the choir if you want- singing can be uplifting.

-search local gifting and community groups online and see if anyone needs any help with anything.

These are just ideas... of course in a Covid world, you must take all precautions and see if any meetings are being done perhaps on zoom etc etc-

In my area we are in a red zone- so i couldn't volunteer in an old age home now even if i was well and strong to do it etc. Church services are online, as are drop in groups-

I hope this was helpful? When i was better able to function it's how i kept a foot in the community and felt connected.

(((hugs))) OP,

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
I've cut off all my ties except my parents (and one stubborn friend). It get painful and sometimes I find my self staring into space. Making a list of things i have to do kind of help. Like chores (groceries) and hobbies (like gaming and such), even just thinking of eating snack really. So next time i feel lonely, i'd check the list. Searching for communities dedicated with your hobby also helps. Like for example: draweveryday gives you a theme to draw... erm everyday.

It's another story if you feel apathetic though.

Reactions: Belaya Noch
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I rather live alone than be reminded daily how flawed or how horrible I am as a husband because I'm not a millionaire yet.

I'm better off getting a dog or cat than ever being married again.

Reactions: Desi
ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
I live alone now. Cut out my family for reasons... And now am actively trying to cut out the couple of friends that try to connect with me. It's working. I haven't seen anyone 3 weeks.

I used to have many hobbies and projects, all going at once. I used to care to learn and get better at things, learn and do new things - there just wasn't enough time in the day to do everything. But now I can't get myself to do anything. Though I know if I cared enough to invest my time into anything then I wouldn't feel so lonely or depressed. But just the idea of doing anything depresses me. I did things because I cared and looked towards the future. Now I don't care for anything and there seems to be no hope for the future.

Sitting alone here staring at the wall is most of my time other than trying to fall asleep. All my waking moments are just loneliness and hopelessness.