Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
I was diagnosed with irritable bowel years ago (although no test was done)

I have times of very strong abdominal pain, I have spent tonight in the hospital for it. It's really horrible, the pain doesn't allow me to sleep, the last time I was like this I was for a month and a half.

Anyone else with the same problem?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Deleted member 19276, maybepossiblyithink and 7 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
Does eating certain foods irritate your bowels more?

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44 and Eren
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
Does eating certain foods irritate your bowels more?

It is independent of what I eat, I have been two days without eating absolutely nothing and it remains the same.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Buffy5120 and Chupacabra 44
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Jul 9, 2020
That doesn't sound fun at all. Have doctors done any other tests like a colonoscopy to check that it's not something else?

Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
That doesn't sound fun at all. Have doctors done any other tests like a colonoscopy to check that it's not something else?

no, they haven't run any tests on me.

Also, I have asked for a 3-day sick leave, and my doctor has told me "don't you think you are asking too many sick leaves lately?" since I was also on sick leave due to my hand problems

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Chupacabra 44
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Jul 9, 2020
That's ridiculous they're not doing any tests on you. If you're in the hospital because you're in so much pain, they need to check it's not something more serious than just IBS.

Did you manage to get in touch with the seller about your order?

• Love
Reactions: waived, Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44 and 1 other person
Giraffey

Giraffey

Your Orange Crush
Mar 7, 2020
I've lost count of the number of IBS cases I've treated, a horrible, debilitating condition that is shrouded in misconception and often dismissed as an 'old lady' condition. I agree with the above, you should at least have some routine tests to rule out other conditions - although I say that with considerable ignorance; the doctors having examined you and taken a history; I simply commenting on an anonymous post. If you're able, I would ask them to explain their reasoning and why they don't believe it to be a similar condition - to ensure you understand the diagnosis.

A good first step may be to think about trying probiotics, there are some good posts on here about the subject and information is readily available by Google. Some people recommend keeping a symptom diary, but I would try to avoid that if possible as it tends to encourage focusing on symptoms and can amplify them in a sort-of feedback loop.

I would also recommend trying out some mindfulness techniques - short meditation and relaxation exercises. You can find these on YouTube or follow a written guide, they're no substitute for proper treatment but can be a useful adjunct in the meantime. As for your doctor querying the number of sick notes, I would calmly and polite reply with something along the lines of: "unfortunately doctor, my illness doesn't follow a neat schedule".

Reactions: sufferingalways, stygal, Deleted member 94 and 4 others
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
That's ridiculous they're not doing any tests on you. If you're in the hospital because you're in so much pain, they need to check it's not something more serious than just IBS.

Did you manage to get in touch with the seller about your order?

The pain is not extremely intense, it is moderate-high, but 24 hours a day, I cannot concentrate on anything, sleep etc ...

Yes, I called this morning, the order was canceled due to not paying for it, as other users in the thread told me. Thanks for asking, you are very kind.
I've lost count of the number of IBS cases I've treated, a horrible, debilitating condition that is shrouded in misconception and often dismissed as an 'old lady' condition. I agree with the above, you should at least have some routine tests to rule out other conditions - although I say that with considerable ignorance; the doctors having examined you and taken a history; I simply commenting on an anonymous post. If you're able, I would ask them to explain their reasoning and why they don't believe it to be a similar condition - to ensure you understand the diagnosis.

A good first step may be to think about trying probiotics, there are some good posts on here about the subject and information is readily available by Google. Some people recommend keeping a symptom diary, but I would try to avoid that if possible as it tends to encourage focusing on symptoms and can amplify them in a sort-of feedback loop.

I would also recommend trying out some mindfulness techniques - short meditation and relaxation exercises. You can find these on YouTube or follow a written guide, they're no substitute for proper treatment but can be a useful adjunct in the meantime. As for your doctor querying the number of sick notes, I would calmly and polite reply with something along the lines of: "unfortunately doctor, my illness doesn't follow a neat schedule".

I was diagnosed based on my symptoms and that my grandmother also suffered from the same disease, and it is hereditary.

Thank you, I just started taking a probiotic today as the doctor told me to.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44, Deleted member 19654 and 1 other person
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Sorry to hear you have to deal with that. I also suffer from bowel issues. I don't experience much pain, but my body often refuses to cooperate nonetheless. I don't know if it's IBS or what, but it makes me really, really depressed. Probiotics haven't helped, and I have no motivation to exercise either, so I'm just going in circles. Currently I'm trying to change my diet.

• Hugs
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I've had 'IBS' all my life. In reality I think that was a catchall diagnosis for me just drinking too much and eating badly. In the later years I developed IBSc and have been to A&E with it (to no avail, long story).
'IBS' is to me a kind of 'We don't know, so we'll guess it's down to mental health and call it a syndrome' diagnosis.
Mental health does, I believe have an influence on your gut action, as seretonin acts as a form of communication in your gut as well as your head, I believe. I've no doubt there is some connection here with the gut/brain axis.
However, I'd say the connection is nebulous and not understood and it's dismissive to just lump it all in as 'idiopathic' and a 'syndrome.'
A huge amount of things can effect your gut, all the way along it's length. One of the most obvious is the crap carb laden diet we invariably gravitate towards. Many people will be suffering from dysbiosis, whereby their gut biome is destroyed. Antibiotics and medical scans don't help this.
Personally, I'm taking a good quality probiotic and also an inulin supplement as a prebiotic adjunct, as well as eating a good balance of prebiotic vegetables. This hopefully helps in the production of butyric acid which can then provide the colon cell walls with sustenance in an effort to maintain gut health.
I think if you take a probiotic then it's also worth ensuring your diet contains enough prebiotic material (a mix of good quality soluble and insoluble fibres) so the little guys have enough to feed on.
I do also take medication, which I alter the dose of myself as required.
Personally I do not believe that exercise has any direct effect on 'IBS' or colon health whatsoever, but ofc it has an indirect effect by promoting general health.
And hydration is necessary with a diet rich in prebiotics too. I struggle with this due to other medical concerns.

• Hugs
Reactions: sufferingalways, Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44 and 2 others
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
I've had 'IBS' all my life. In reality I think that was a catchall diagnosis for me just drinking too much and eating badly. In the later years I developed IBSc and have been to A&E with it (to no avail, long story).
'IBS' is to me a kind of 'We don't know, so we'll guess it's down to mental health and call it a syndrome' diagnosis.
Mental health does, I believe have an influence on your gut action, as seretonin acts as a form of communication in your gut as well as your head, I believe. I've no doubt there is some connection here with the gut/brain axis.
However, I'd say the connection is nebulous and not understood and it's dismissive to just lump it all in as 'idiopathic' and a 'syndrome.'
A huge amount of things can effect your gut, all the way along it's length. One of the most obvious is the crap carb laden diet we invariably gravitate towards. Many people will be suffering from dysbiosis, whereby their gut biome is destroyed. Antibiotics and medical scans don't help this.
Personally, I'm taking a good quality probiotic and also an inulin supplement as a prebiotic adjunct, as well as eating a good balance of prebiotic vegetables. This hopefully helps in the production of butyric acid which can then provide the colon cell walls with sustenance in an effort to maintain gut health.
I think if you take a probiotic then it's also worth ensuring your diet contains enough prebiotic material (a mix of good quality soluble and insoluble fibres) so the little guys have enough to feed on.
I do also take medication, which I alter the dose of myself as required.
Personally I do not believe that exercise has any direct effect on 'IBS' or colon health whatsoever, but ofc it has an indirect effect by promoting general health.
And hydration is necessary with a diet rich in prebiotics too. I struggle with this due to other medical concerns.

I should eat better, maybe that's part of the problem. Also, I think mental state plays a role, years ago when I was not so bad mentally I wasn't so bad about "IBS". Although the times with more IBS lately seem to be quite "random" and I do not associate it with anything.

I have also started taking prebiotics.
Sorry to hear you have to deal with that. I also suffer from bowel issues. I don't experience much pain, but my body often refuses to cooperate nonetheless. I don't know if it's IBS or what, but it makes me really, really depressed. Probiotics haven't helped, and I have no motivation to exercise either, so I'm just going in circles. Currently I'm trying to change my diet.

Thanks, and I'm sorry for you too, it's really debilitating.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Chupacabra 44 and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I should eat better, maybe that's part of the problem. Also, I think mental state plays a role, years ago when I was not so bad mentally I wasn't so bad about "IBS". Although the times with more IBS lately seem to be quite "random" and I do not associate it with anything.

I'm also not going to dismiss that sometimes stuff genuinely IS idiopathic. we are really complex creatures and sometimes stuff just doesn't work and we never know the reason. However, I do feel doctors are often too quick to apply that label (or any damn label TBH).
Whatever the cause, without a good foundation you won't get much relief. And I personally believe that foundation is diet.
I really hope you do get some short term relief and also move towards a more sustainable treatment.

M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I have suffered horrible bowel pain for many years to the point I can't do anything. It's constant. Just had a colonoscopy but basically had to beg to get to this point. I have inflammation.

when they diagnosis irritable bowel that is just a guess. It can mask so many problems, for years I was dismissed as just having it but now I've found out the truth. If you don't push them they won't bother investigating.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 94, Deleted member 1465 and 2 others
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
The pain is not extremely intense, it is moderate-high, but 24 hours a day, I cannot concentrate on anything, sleep etc ...

Yes, I called this morning, the order was canceled due to not paying for it, as other users in the thread told me. Thanks for asking, you are very kind.

I was diagnosed based on my symptoms and that my grandmother also suffered from the same disease, and it is hereditary.

Thank you, I just started taking a probiotic today as the doctor told me to.
Hey I have ibs one sure non medical way of self diagnosis is having a glass of milk and see if it has you running to the toilet.

Probiotic are good for me. I make my own probiotic 24 hour yogurt with yogurmet probiotic sachets, the yogurt helps my mood as well.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Eren
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
I'm sorry your struggling too. I have horrible dibilitaing ibs. It cost my jobs, social life and I spend so much time in pain from it. Drs did nothing to help..they were rather dismissive. I wish there was a cure. I have tried diets, probiotics...nothing :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
I'm sorry your struggling too. I have horrible dibilitaing ibs. It cost my jobs, social life and I spend so much time in pain from it. Drs did nothing to help..they were rather dismissive. I wish there was a cure. I have tried diets, probiotics...nothing :(
Hi
If you have Crohn's disease there is supposed to be a vaccine coming out called antimap vaccine, please Google antiMAP vaccine. Perhaps this might solve all Crohn's disease type IBS.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Worthless_nobody
W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Hi
If you have Crohn's disease there is supposed to be a vaccine coming out called antimap vaccine, please Google antiMAP vaccine. Perhaps this might solve all Crohn's disease type IBS.
I often wonder if it's crohn's I have never had a coconoscopy because I can't afford it so drs keep telling me it is ibs. Thanks for the info though I'll check it out!

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's worth noting that there is a huge variety of helpful bacteria in the human gut. Probiotics come in many different combinations. From the crappy useless yoghurt drinks you get in Tesco to the stuff that NHS tertiary care will prescribe if you are lucky, that costs 50 quid on ebay for 10 satchets.
If your microbiome is deficient, the only way to see if probiotics might work is to try lots and lots of different good quality strains, which can be expensive and time consuming. Also, probiotics will require the correct prebiotic mix of soluble and insoluble fibre to work well, which means either a wide variety of vegetable matter or supplementation.

I can't help but be suspicious of many IBS diagnoses. It's a catchall lazy attitude to what may be an underlying problem. Anything with the words 'idiopathic' or 'syndrome' in the title usually really means 'we don't know or can't be bothered to find out.'

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 94
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I have Crohns disease and was told me a long time I had IBS, it was all in my head, I was doing it for attention etc. I had to see several different doctors and push for more rigorous testing. Eventually I got diagnosed and had to have 30cm of bowel removed since then I've been on everything, even done clinical trials.
I hope you can find more answers. Keep a diary of what you eat, how it makes you feel etc. Get a second, third or even fourth opinion. If you think its something else, keep pushing. On the flip side though, IBS can be pretty serious and debilitating. I hope you find some answers.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 94 and Deleted member 1465
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018

If you are not well physically your not well mentally and this can be a vicious cycle to break. The ancient Greeks had a saying that a healthy body leads to a healthy mind. Perhaps this is your situation, try to get your body healthy, have you tried any of the diets like scd diet.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Eren
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
If you are not well physically your not well mentally and this can be a vicious cycle to break. The ancient Greeks had a saying that a healthy body leads to a healthy mind. Perhaps this is your situation, try to get your body healthy, have you tried any of the diets like scd diet.

Completely agree, it is impossible to be mentally fine if I still have purely physical problems. I have not tried any particular diet.

Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
Completely agree, it is impossible to be mentally fine if I still have purely physical problems. I have not tried any particular diet.
I know one guy who said he cured IBS by scd diet, also he was juicing for a long time like three months while supplementing with vitamins and minerals.

The pdoc I attended told me there are more neurons in the gut and that the gut is like a second brain in the body, you feel horrible if it is inflamed with IBS.

Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
I know one guy who said he cured IBS by scd diet, also he was juicing for a long time like three months while supplementing with vitamins and minerals.

The pdoc I attended told me there are more neurons in the gut and that the gut is like a second brain in the body, you feel horrible if it is inflamed with IBS.

But from what I've read is it for people with celiac disease, right?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I heard the low FODMAP diet touted a lot for IBS symptoms. I looked into it, but it seemed really inconsistent depending what guide you read.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 94
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
But from what I've read is it for people with celiac disease, right?
No IBS, Crohn's colitis and other forms of IBS even psoriasis. Just watch some YouTube videos about people claiming diets curing them.

Last edited:
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
I often wonder if it's crohn's I have never had a coconoscopy because I can't afford it so drs keep telling me it is ibs. Thanks for the info though I'll check it out!
Is a colonoscopy really that expensive it was 500 Euro here and I had it done privately. But that was the only way to find out as they removed biopsies and examined them.

Sorry your struggling.

W

Worthless_nobody

Enlightened
Feb 14, 2019
Is a colonoscopy really that expensive it was 500 Euro here and I had it done privately. But that was the only way to find out as they removed biopsies and examined them.

Sorry your struggling.
I'm in the US with no health insurance. Yes sadly it's very expensive. :(

• Hugs
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
I heard the low FODMAP diet touted a lot for IBS symptoms. I looked into it, but it seemed really inconsistent depending what guide you read.
That's a diet I've been given a leaflet on by my consultant when I told her sugar gives me a flare, she is a medical consultant but she doesn't have much faith in diets rather than medicines.
I'm in the US with no health insurance. Yes sadly it's very expensive. :(
Sorry to hear that, some procedures are expensive here as well but my family members go abroad to get those type of treatments.

Last edited:
R

Risa

Sep 17, 2020
I was diagnosed with irritable bowel years ago (although no test was done)

I have times of very strong abdominal pain, I have spent tonight in the hospital for it. It's really horrible, the pain doesn't allow me to sleep, the last time I was like this I was for a month and a half.

Anyone else with the same problem?
Or

I had ibs for about 10 years between 6 and 16. I was always in pain, had flatulence, at some point I started to have diarrhea every evening for almost 2 years, I often felt like vomiting and sometimes I would faint, I also had chronic sinus infection and a lot of pimples what often does correlate with ibs. When I was 17 we did allergy testing not the prick test (didn't show anything) but blood analysis because my mom got me to a alternative working doctor. She was a doctor but mixed it with natural treatments. So the results came in and I was allergic to milk and egg, so at first I stopped that and after about 3 months all my symptoms were gone even the pimples. I write that because your body has to heal from the damage first so even if you don't eat the triggering food for 2 days you can still have symptoms for months depending on how much your gut is screwed over. Then I also started eating healthy (paleo) and I really benefitted from that in various ways. My mum is not allergic to anything but got some kind of ibs anyway 5 years ago. So the doctor did a colonoscopy didn't find anything and said it's ibs. Then the naturopath doctor ran tests and diagnosed sibo, I can't exactly explain what it is but you can Google it. She treated her and after 6 months she was fine. There's also leaky gut syndrome and it's treated with diet, supplements and probiotics at least by naturopaths because doctors don't acknowledge it you can also Google that . Of course you could have something like crohn's disease but then a normal doctor should find something, you should really get a colonoscopy. Sibo treatment worked for my mum and online are enough people who got rid of their ibs symptoms through that or that leaky gut treatment . And it takes time it doesn't just disappear in 2 weeks. I don't know if it's that but if I was you I would try. It's better than feeling like shit all the time.

Reactions: Eren and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Or

I had ibs for about 10 years between 6 and 16. I was always in pain, had flatulence, at some point I started to have diarrhea every evening for almost 2 years, I often felt like vomiting and sometimes I would faint, I also had chronic sinus infection and a lot of pimples what often does correlate with ibs. When I was 17 we did allergy testing not the prick test (didn't show anything) but blood analysis because my mom got me to a alternative working doctor. She was a doctor but mixed it with natural treatments. So the results came in and I was allergic to milk and egg, so at first I stopped that and after about 3 months all my symptoms were gone even the pimples. I write that because your body has to heal from the damage first so even if you don't eat the triggering food for 2 days you can still have symptoms for months depending on how much your gut is screwed over. Then I also started eating healthy (paleo) and I really benefitted from that in various ways. My mum is not allergic to anything but got some kind of ibs anyway 5 years ago. So the doctor did a colonoscopy didn't find anything and said it's ibs. Then the naturopath doctor ran tests and diagnosed sibo, I can't exactly explain what it is but you can Google it. She treated her and after 6 months she was fine. There's also leaky gut syndrome and it's treated with diet, supplements and probiotics at least by naturopaths because doctors don't acknowledge it you can also Google that . Of course you could have something like crohn's disease but then a normal doctor should find something, you should really get a colonoscopy. Sibo treatment worked for my mum and online are enough people who got rid of their ibs symptoms through that or that leaky gut treatment . And it takes time it doesn't just disappear in 2 weeks. I don't know if it's that but if I was you I would try. It's better than feeling like shit all the time.
I concur. when the doctors don't find pathology, head to a naturopath and seek a more holistic and realistic solution. Doctors deal in illness, not severe unhealthiness.