Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
To pay tribute / respect, the following development is the courtesy of @HelensNepenthe who imagined it. The idea is evident, simple, yet foolproof. Everybody should consider it, prior to leaving the site (including CTB but not only) in order to protect the whole community with absolute certainty, against the eventual investigation of history trails, especially if PMs were exchanged and not cleared (you can "leave conversations" and should do always, once done with communication)

within any PM, at the top right
BF3F2AFC 03BF 4982 BADC 58625C38F02E

Explanation : 2FA security is the activation of a secondary password as a layer on top of the main one which is vulnerable (due to cookies stored not cleared, or password manager used and not uninstalled), which is tied to a physical device (mobile or computer) and only temporary. In fact, the 2FA codes cycle every few seconds to be new and unique permanently.
In other words, even if somebody would find out / retrieve your main password to access your account, they then would be asked to input the 2FA digits' code as an extra unlocking step. We will take care that it won't happen so that your account remains inaccessible forever without a single concern to fear.

It occurs that 2FA security is available at SS. It just seems that almost nobody is aware of its existence and/or make use of it, which is a shame. You should change your habits and make the effort to use it immediately after this reading.

It can be found here
94ADA1B4 4086 4488 81C8 0D9FCEACDAEF

Then there
B38879F9 273A 48CD ACAC 371D9E0CF853

In order to activate 2FA, please follow the tutorial exposed here
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/two-factor-authentication-2fa-guide-step-by-step.39353
(if you're lost, ask questions)

In the end, you'll have a 2FA app, generally Google Authenticator, either on your phone or tablet, that you will need to dispose of the display of the cycling codes to login to your SS account during the time you're around.
Without this app, without 2FA codes, your main text password won't be sufficient. You could be locked outside of your SS account forever, hence a backup of the QR code or secret key when activating the 2FA is strongly recommended initially, as mentioned inside the previous guide. These would serve to reinstall your Google Auth "account" on the same or another device of your choice (even as duplicata, you can have it on multiple devices concurrently)
NB: this 2FA process is not routinely painful. This can't be an excuse to avoid. SS can apply cookies which prevent you to login at each visit, so you don't have to input 2FA codes each time but only occasionally. As a byproduct, please clear cookies when quitting SS, or the same leak of "opened session" could derail our goal. Some browsers do it automatically for you, like Epic browser, or perform the action manually within your usual browser's settings

Final word / concept to apply

When ready to leave SS for good (not in advance), to either CTB or any other reason that would be final, aside clearing your browser's data and notably cookies, history and saved passwords notably, we will maintain 2FA security ON at SS but get rid of both the 2FA app that gives codes as well as any 2FA account backup that you stored. In concrete, just uninstall Google Auth from where it is installed plus discard the backup QR code / secret keys (it should not be a screenshot image saved in the first place, but if it is, just erase the file / send it to the bin and empty ...or tear apart / burn the printed piece of paper on which it appears)

That's it. We're done. We just achieved complete and sealed unreachability for of your SS account (the private part at least), towards the scrutiny of any surroundings (family/relatives and LE at the same time). You can have peace of mind of zero consequences and the Community can thank you for your sense of care towards the ones who remain. Cheers!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brokensaddle, canihavepeaceforonce, Mixo and 14 others
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
I received feedback about the above instructions. Some of it is interesting, so I'll address the concerns now.

Question : What if I have activated 2FA at more sites than SS ? When I leave SS, I want to continue to use these other sites but I'll lose their 2FA codes if I uninstall the Google Authenticator app

Answer : In that precise case where you are leaving the internet partially (only SS), then you shouldn't uninstall the Google Auth app entirely but keep it and only delete the 2FA "accounts" (plus destruct their respective backups that you printed on paper) that you want to secure against retrieval. This is done on the app itself, by deleting the targeted accounts

1C2C6BD6 7DEC 46B3 8627 6D24C349E914

22E083E7 30FE 497E 9D3B 689195838CFD

Question : When I activated 2FA at SS, I forgot to backup the recovery memo (QR code and/or secret key). How to retrieve these info now ? Is it too late ?
Answer : No, head over to your profile > Password & Security menu, since you've got the cycling codes at disposal. We will just edit the setup. During the new activation, saving the backup consists of printing the screen containing the QR code and secret key below it. This is what you can either scan (QR code) or type (secret key) again on a new Google Auth instance, if you ever delete the app, lose or are stolen your device, or on secondary devices

4644C001 AFE8 48BE 885E C93E2E17953B

663F5431 B124 460A 8C9F E51157FE6250

F0CF9C8D 96C2 4428 B82B 1BA4CA77CE30

NB : at other sites than SS, it's possible that you cannot "change" per say the 2FA. In such event, just desactivate the previous 2FA and re-enable it again just after, during when, you'll just think at printing the recovery info

Last edited:
Reactions: Deafsn0w
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Bump

• Love
Reactions: Viro_Major and Life_and_Death
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
@Meretlein @Hasssssuùuu @Marquis @angel-of-the-night @RainAndSadness

Would you consider to make this topic a sticky ?

• Love
Reactions: Despondent, BitterlyAlive and LetzteAusfahrt
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
Is signing out and clearing cookies and history not sufficient?

Reactions: GoneGoneGone and Viro_Major
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
It could do the trick be if you're certain your login credentials wouldn't be "hacked" any other way

For the purpose you described, Epic browser clears all sensitive data at each closure of the program (by default, without touching any settings), so is recommended for those who have their heads in the stars rather than grounded. It prevents to intervene manually (and mess around) during a stressful time, if planned in advance

Last edited:
Silver

Silver

Aug 8, 2020
I see, thanks for your reply. Hadn't come across that browser before.

Reactions: Viro_Major
xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
This sounds too complicated to me, maybe I'll just throw my phone into a river before I ctb lol

• Hugs
Reactions: Meditation guide, canihavepeaceforonce, deleted and 4 others
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
The trick is really manageable.
Most importantly, it is cruelty-free to the fate of your phone and no creature in the Atlandid could choke to death falling on your pollution. :sunglasses:

Reactions: GoneGoneGone and xLosthopex
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
@Viro_Major thank you so much for putting all this together. I guess for someone who is not super tech-savvy, this could be a bit complicated. Also, there are a bunch of us who will likely ctb impulsively. If I use private browsers all the time, and always log out from SS, is there any way to be found after? it would be worth mentioning that my internet service provider is prohibited by law from revealing which websites I use.

• Hugs
Mixo

Mixo

Blue
Aug 2, 2020
Thanks for this in-depth, detailed tutorial on 2FA. I didn't know it was there. I can't help but wonder if this site wouldn't be under such fire if the users who left had followed the necessary steps to clear their tracks before going, but I can't judge because I know the mindset people are in before they go.

Silver

Silver

Aug 8, 2020
For the purpose you described, Epic browser clears all sensitive data at each closure of the program (by default, without touching any settings)
I downloaded Epic on my ipad because I wanted to try its proxy/ VPN service. When I checked, my IP wasn't being obscured. When I tried to find out how to turn it on, I saw a post that said it's now user-controlled and to get the extension from the Epic browser extension store. I couldn't find that either...

Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
I downloaded Epic on my ipad because I wanted to try its proxy/ VPN service. When I checked, my IP wasn't being obscured. When I tried to find out how to turn it on, I saw a post that said it's now user-controlled and to get the extension from the Epic browser extension store. I couldn't find that either...

Confirmed. Epic is limited on mobile. To my knowledge, the VPN feature is available with Android as module.
As a free VPN replacement for iOS, you could give a go at Windscribe. For Android though, you shall prefer RiseUp. If paid, Mullvad is trustworthy.

@Viro_Major thank you so much for putting all this together. I guess for someone who is not super tech-savvy, this could be a bit complicated. Also, there are a bunch of us who will likely ctb impulsively. If I use private browsers all the time, and always log out from SS, is there any way to be found after? it would be worth mentioning that my internet service provider is prohibited by law from revealing which websites I use.

On computer, if you use the browsers Tor or Brave (private tabs proxied with Tor) or Epic, on closure, they will automatically clear your data out of preying when reopened, leaving no accountability.
To self-ban, then especially clearing your data (cookies, cache, saved passwords, etc) remains the utmost priority, in front of considering 2FA. The action takes away out of sight your public trail.
2FA permits an extra layer of guaranty to lock the private part of your SS account, where the full history of your activity is archived whereas if stuck outside the account, it would require fastidious research (through search engines).It almost makes sure your PM stay out of reach if you didn't bother to "Leave" each and everyone.

NB : Similarly to Epic browsers, there are restrictions on mobile. The official Tor is available for Android but not iOS (there are unofficial alternatives but less efficient). The Brave tabs proxied with Tor are not yet available on mobiles again, but planned to be at a later stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoneGoneGone, Silver and Busdriver
PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
I appreciate this but it depends on each individual. I will do the standard clearing of my devices but my siblings are not going to be snooping around for answers. My final note makes it clear why I'm CTBing to give them peace of mind. Though they will be very surprised they won't dwell on the reasons and think they have to do a deep dive. For those who are in similar situations as me, I believe clearing search histories and passwords, and resetting phones and tablets to factory settings should be enough. But if you think your family and authorities will be actively reviewing your online life, then you may need to do more.

D

Donewiyhitall

Sep 5, 2020
This sounds too complicated to me, maybe I'll just throw my phone into a river before I ctb lol
Same here! Wiped my computer to factory, kindles and old phones are under the tires & in the washtub. My main phone is all that's left. I also added every word expected, on my FB block list. Will delete my phone passwords in a few days. Anything I forgot, won't bother much on the bus.

Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Quick resume.

Do not forget that :
1) conversations (PMs) left on your side are not erased on the side of your recipient
2) conversations left by your recipient without chosing the option to "Ignore futur messages", can reappear in whole on their side as soon as your account messages them again
3) self-banning does not condemn the ability to log in to your account
4) self-banning prevents further new PM creations but gives access to previous conversations that were not left, for both consultation and interaction
5) access to your account

In other words, self-banning doesn't protect fully private information you would have left behind, and neither does it protect your list of recipients to have traces / proofs remotely triggered from the control of your machine, because there is no such thing as erasing PMs for good
In concrete, only the 2FA trick blocks your account's access for proper safety

Last edited:
Reactions: Busdriver and LeMhur
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Additional worthy actions to undertake before you leave

Go to your account > "Privacy" tab, and set these

2951A3E5 4C4E 4230 97C2 90253FFE4617

Thus, on one side, the remaining community will have the information whether or not your account is consulted past your departure (this is especially valuable if you don't do the 2FA tip, but unnecessary if you proceed with it), as well as enable the ability to monitor where the eyes are looking

And on the other side, about the other options, we'll block some traces of sensitive information that could be investigated from inside or outside of the account. Do these steps BEFORE dumping your 2FA codes or there is no going back

Last edited:
Reactions: Busdriver