T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm excited to apply for college and finally do something. I'm nervous as well but I'm trying to keep a positive headspace currently, while simultaneously not putting too much pressure on myself.

I plan on filling out the FAFSA tomorrow and hopefully applying for the college soon. I don't have much else to say other than, while I do feel a lot of stress and anxiety, it's exciting to have something to look forward to, something that should better my life and increase my earning potential in the future.

Im planning on doing a fairly difficult STEM major (computer science) but I'm gonna try my best to succeed. I also want to make a goal to make new friends.

Either way I can't really decide whether I'm happy or scared, it's probably both though. I feel that at least I'm lucky enough to go to college, whereas some people cannot.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: kvheeo, redisblue, charlotte_ and 24 others
catastrophix

catastrophix

and my nightmares will have nightmares every night
Feb 20, 2023
In my experience, college is far more enjoyable than high school, so I'm happy to hear that you're excited for it! So far I've been doing online classes only (trying to get all the prerequisites done), and it's a source of motivation for me to continue to do good things for myself. Your positive outlook will definitely help you! Good luck with your school adventures :]

• Love
Reactions: slugcat, Unhumanly., 6MillionWaystoDie and 3 others
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
In my experience, college is far more enjoyable than high school, so I'm happy to hear that you're excited for it! So far I've been doing online classes only (trying to get all the prerequisites done), and it's a source of motivation for me to continue to do good things for myself. Your positive outlook will definitely help you! Good luck with your school adventures :]
That's a relief, I've been slightly worried it may be worse but I tend to overthink a lot. I think it will be a motivation to get me to do more things as well. And Thanks! I hope my positive outlooks stays and continues to help me! I also wish you luck on your classes!

• Hugs
Reactions: Unhumanly., 6MillionWaystoDie and aSilentVoice
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I'm happy for you that you're feeling some optimism!

Reactions: 6MillionWaystoDie, ThatStateOfMind and aSilentVoice
Coldpizza22

Coldpizza22

Crafter
Apr 2, 2023
College is fine just don't party or work (a part time job) too much. Focus on the studies, some students spend too much time on a part time job and then they fail on the test. If you have the final stability i wouldn't advise spending to much time working.
Attend all the lectures you can (even the non mandatory ones, the professors really appreciate it, even if they don't say anything).
I'm in my second, last year of my vocational college. Struggling a little with C language programming, bcs i suck at it. Some classmates practiced it before in their free time and it's a lot easier for them.

Reactions: Source Energy, Unhumanly. and ThatStateOfMind
Toriinbed

Toriinbed

Apr 1, 2023
Good job! applying to colleges is a really big step so take everything one tinier step at a time to finish those applications. Also consider community college for your general ed classes if you want to save some money :). Either way I'll be sending you luck ⭐

Reactions: ThatStateOfMind
manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
Hi. I am really happy to hear that you're excited for college! It's a great place to make new friends and meet new people! I studied CS for a few years and it's very challenging. But if you put in the time and effort you'll do great! Go in with an open mind and have fun!

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
It's good that you're excited for college, good luck to you! The people I've met that had problems in college usually spent too much time on "the college experience" instead of classes. It's also a fresh start, not like k-12 school. I have no facts behind this but it seems that the profs notice who does/doesn't show for class and it can bump you up on a grade (depends on size of school I guess). Don't be afraid to ask for help! You're paying for this so get the most out of it you can.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
College is fine just don't party or work (a part time job) too much. Focus on the studies, some students spend too much time on a part time job and then they fail on the test. If you have the final stability i wouldn't advise spending to much time working.
Attend all the lectures you can (even the non mandatory ones, the professors really appreciate it, even if they don't say anything).
I'm in my second, last year of my vocational college. Struggling a little with C language programming, bcs i suck at it. Some classmates practiced it before in their free time and it's a lot easier for them.
I have quite a substantial savings account that I transferred into my aunt's name (I trust her and I didn't want it on the FAFSA) so I think I should be good without a part time job, I might still get one for some extra pocket money but I have that option of not needing to do it.

Also I plan on attending the lectures because I'm horrible at remembering some things so the more chances I get to take notes, the better. I'm going to a community college so I'm unsure of how that differs from Uni. I think the language the college I'm going to mainly focuses on is C, but I don't know for sure. I plan on using free time to work on something after I have a good enough knowledge, maybe even put together a Git page if I have projects I feel are worthy of it lol.
I'm happy for you that you're feeling some optimism!
Thanks!
Good job! applying to colleges is a really big step so take everything one tinier step at a time to finish those applications. Also consider community college for your general ed classes if you want to save some money :). Either way I'll be sending you luck ⭐
I'm definitely going to a community college, then transferring to Uni, the community college I'm going to has a transfer pathway to a pretty good university (it's good and not too expensive, money is definitely an issue here so I try to think budget-friendly). Thanks for the luck, I'm gonna need it!
Hi. I am really happy to hear that you're excited for college! It's a great place to make new friends and meet new people! I studied CS for a few years and it's very challenging. But if you put in the time and effort you'll do great! Go in with an open mind and have fun!
Thanks, I'm completely prepared for a difficult time, but it definitely seems to be rewarding in the long run. The career is something I think I'll like, it pays great, career advancement can be pretty fast, WLB is good (depending on the company), there are obvious cons, like the insane interviews but I think I'll like it.
It's good that you're excited for college, good luck to you! The people I've met that had problems in college usually spent too much time on "the college experience" instead of classes. It's also a fresh start, not like k-12 school. I have no facts behind this but it seems that the profs notice who does/doesn't show for class and it can bump you up on a grade (depends on size of school I guess). Don't be afraid to ask for help! You're paying for this so get the most out of it you can.
Thanks! I plan on utilizing the free tutoring if I need it, maybe the mental health resources if depression gets too bad, hopefully the FAFSA pays for it all, it's an in state community college, and I calculated tuition, it's about 10K altogether for the associates degree, and my family's income isn't good (<40k) so it should pay for the majority. I want to go to classes, I don't like being at home much (not a bad home life I just enjoy being out of the house), so I'll have no issue going to everything I can.

SO, this is an update for everyone, I've applied and filled out the FAFSA, hoping to go in the summer. All that's left is to wait and see if I'm accepted, and I've never seen them deny anyone, my ACT and GPA was above average I think so I assume I'm gonna get accepted. After that, I'll have to send my ACT scores to the college, immunization records or a waiver, and my high school transcripts. The only thing that costs money is sending the ACT scores ($18), so I'm ready to venture into this journey, fearful, but determined. I want a good future for myself, I really do, and I think college can help provide that for me. My depression hasn't been affecting me as much and I think it's because I feel that I have a purpose, and direction in life.

I'll keep this updated on if I'm accepted, and my steps following that. I've decided screw being afraid of seeing my ex and her boyfriend, I could care less, I'm gonna take the high road and be friendly. If he tries to start anything, I'll report him to the college.

If all goes well, I should be starting around May I think? In the meantime, I'm gonna get things in order and prepare myself mentally, maybe study some coding in my free time to get a small head start to it isn't a huge shock.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ultracheese and Coldpizza22
Coldpizza22

Coldpizza22

Crafter
Apr 2, 2023
I'll add this. Do project related to what you do in class (or what you're interested) and save them, it helps when you wanna get a job or some programs have mandatory minimum practice work (at least here in my country) where you have to work at a company for a few weeks. If you can show the company what you're working on and what you can do, its easier to get picked, if theres a lot of interest to work for that company.

pharma

pharma

Mar 4, 2023
I wish I had your optimism when i started college lol. As others said, don't party and study hard. CS is pretty hard and you should focus on completing your coursework is high marks and waiting your junior/senior to get internships. Good luck! : )

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'll add this. Do project related to what you do in class (or what you're interested) and save them, it helps when you wanna get a job or some programs have mandatory minimum practice work (at least here in my country) where you have to work at a company for a few weeks. If you can show the company what you're working on and what you can do, its easier to get picked, if theres a lot of interest to work for that company.
i plan on it! I mainly want to do some projects and hopefully land an internship so getting that first job will be easier.
I wish I had your optimism when i started college lol. As others said, don't party and study hard. CS is pretty hard and you should focus on completing your coursework is high marks and waiting your junior/senior to get internships. Good luck! : )
Thanks! I'm not gonna lie, some of this optimism is a fake it til you make it mindset but I'm doing it so much it's actually convincing me lol. And I can't promise high marks but I don't like the whole party scene, it seems immature and I'm anti-social. I hated alcohol when I tried it and I don't do weed because I feel it's unnecessary most times. I say this to describe how I'd probably dislike going to parties anyways.

sadstuffie

sadstuffie

Student
Aug 11, 2020
good luck! i admire your mindset. when i attempted college, i knew i was not ready & wish i could have waited. no one tells you how quickly you can become consumed by loneliness among other things, so be careful. proud of you !!🩷🩷 wishing you so much success !!

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
good luck! i admire your mindset. when i attempted college, i knew i was not ready & wish i could have waited. no one tells you how quickly you can become consumed by loneliness among other things, so be careful. proud of you !!🩷🩷 wishing you so much success !!
Thanks! I took a year after high school because I was unsure what I wanted, and I realized that it's okay to not be sure of it. I'm still not entirely sure but I'm more sure than I was before so that's good enough for me! And thanks, I might just need all the luck I can get, I performed pretty good academically-speaking in relation to high school, but I fear that college, even community college, will be a whole different beast, buuuut, with enough dedication, I'm sure I can do it :)

• Love
Reactions: sadstuffie
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
One nice thing about post-high school education is that a lot of the school garbage isn't there. People are new and strangers so less of the clique stuff. The profs I had were always open for questions and most of them liked it; they felt a lot of college work was "high school +". I was a history major so asking them about their area of interest resulted in good conversations. Even my CS prof (I was a 2 week CS major, then back to History) was fun, nothing like a 730am 5 credit calculus class. Remember you're paying for them to teach you so don't be put off asking questions, they're there to explain it. I was thinking of going to tech school just to learn something and this thread is pushing me more towards that. Either database or culinary, have to look at the offerings.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
One nice thing about post-high school education is that a lot of the school garbage isn't there. People are new and strangers so less of the clique stuff. The profs I had were always open for questions and most of them liked it; they felt a lot of college work was "high school +". I was a history major so asking them about their area of interest resulted in good conversations. Even my CS prof (I was a 2 week CS major, then back to History) was fun, nothing like a 730am 5 credit calculus class. Remember you're paying for them to teach you so don't be put off asking questions, they're there to explain it. I was thinking of going to tech school just to learn something and this thread is pushing me more towards that. Either database or culinary, have to look at the offerings.
Yeah that's a definite plus, meeting new people. And yeah I'm definitely going to ask questions if I need to. Not looking forward to the 2 calculus classes that are required.

I'm trying to do a tight squeeze, and get into the college this summer. The deadlines are very close so I hope I'm doing everything right.

Edit: I'm not gonna lie the stress of all this is getting the better of me. I feel sick at my stomach due to stress and I've cried a bit today just because I feel so stressed :(

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Zetsubou
Zetsubou

Zetsubou

Friend of Despair
Mar 16, 2023
Edit: I'm not gonna lie the stress of all this is getting the better of me. I feel sick at my stomach due to stress and I've cried a bit today just because I feel so stressed :(
What's stressing you out? The deadlines or the idea of going to college? Either way, I think this is a normal feeling to have.

Like others have said, focus on studying and you'll do fine. But if you do find yourself struggling, then don't be afraid to seek help. Most colleges offer tutoring centers, and if you can, try to form study groups with the other students in your classes so you can help each other out.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
What's stressing you out? The deadlines or the idea of going to college? Either way, I think this is a normal feeling to have.

Like others have said, focus on studying and you'll do fine. But if you do find yourself struggling, then don't be afraid to seek help. Most colleges offer tutoring centers, and if you can, try to form study groups with the other students in your classes so you can help each other out.
I don't quite know. Probably both. I'm just so nervous right now, I guess because I had a lot of paperwork to fill out today. The college does have tutoring for free on campus and online.

I'm so scared and I don't know why though. I hate this feeling though, I feel it when a big change happens in life, I have identified that much. When I have a job interview, or something new and big. I suppose it's because college is a big change. I've since calmed down slightly but not much.

stermc

stermc

libertas quae sera tamen
Nov 24, 2022
I totally understand that you are feeling stressed about it. It was a very stressful time for me as well, because I was too afraid it was going to be just like high school (and high school was the worst).

But it was so much better! Probably the best time of my life. I had no idea I would make so many friends and live so many nice experiences.

I do agree with everyone saying that you should focus on studying, but also don't forget to let yourself simply enjoy this moment. Allow yourself to have fun!

This stressful moment will pass. If you feel anxious about it, try to just accept and enjoy the fact that there are an infinite world of possibilities ahead of you.

If you need anything, I am here!
Happy for you! ♥️

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I totally understand that you are feeling stressed about it. It was a very stressful time for me as well, because I was too afraid it was going to be just like high school (and high school was the worst).

But it was so much better! Probably the best time of my life. I had no idea I would make so many friends and live so many nice experiences.

I do agree with everyone saying that you should focus on studying, but also don't forget to let yourself simply enjoy this moment. Allow yourself to have fun!

This stressful moment will pass. If you feel anxious about it, try to just accept and enjoy the fact that there are an infinite world of possibilities ahead of you.

If you need anything, I am here!
Happy for you! ♥️
Yeah, it's a super huge change. I was conversing with my ex very briefly earlier and she pointed out that I was like this with changes so I suppose it boils down to a fear of change, and an anxiety disorder (I'm almost certain I have one, just not diagnosed).

High School wasn't too bad for me so if college winds up being better, I'm probably going to be so happy.

I also really want to immerse myself in studies if I like the classes and the major, like really try and get into the headspace of the study. I'm going during the summer and I plan on also going for the fall and spring, so I don't know if I'll take the summer after all that off (if I did, it would mainly be to avoid burnout), or if I'll go and hopefully apply to university in the fall. Either way I'm going to the same university in a fall or spring.

That being said, I definitely want a life outside of college and computer science, so I'm going to make an effort to hang out with my friends since 8th grade, they're the only ones who stuck by me after high school. Neither are going to college. One lives on the way to and from the college I'm going to (a town away) and I'll probably hang out with him more when possible. I also hope to make more friends, and maybe even find love again.

I do hope this anxiety passes, it did every time it's happened before. I think filling out like 10 papers today for financial aid and college really amplified it. Me missing my ex also probably amplified it slightly, well, not my ex, but more so the comfort she provided.

And thank you! I might take you up on that offer if I need help or someone to talk to.

Sorry this post droned on a bit, I tend to get off on my own little tangents sometimes lol.

Ultracheese

Ultracheese

Arcanist
Dec 1, 2022
Good luck! I hope to potentially attend college as well sometime in the fall.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Good luck! I hope to potentially attend college as well sometime in the fall.
Ooo, I wish you luck. I hope I don't regret attending during the summer. I have nothing better to do besides maybe getting a job but I figured if I do it during the summer, I could get ahead and hopefully graduate around the same time I would've graduated if I went immediately after High School, I took a gap year.

• Hugs
Reactions: Grav and Ultracheese
Unhumanly.

Unhumanly.

Recovery are not the winner.
Feb 24, 2023
Good luck on entering your college life and hopefully you reach your goal to make new friends

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Good luck on entering your college life and hopefully you reach your goal to make new friends
Thanks! I hope I can as well.

• Hugs
Reactions: Unhumanly.
J

JealousOfTheElderly

Everything's gonna be OK
Aug 28, 2020
I'm excited to apply for college and finally do something. I'm nervous as well but I'm trying to keep a positive headspace currently, while simultaneously not putting too much pressure on myself.

I plan on filling out the FAFSA tomorrow and hopefully applying for the college soon. I don't have much else to say other than, while I do feel a lot of stress and anxiety, it's exciting to have something to look forward to, something that should better my life and increase my earning potential in the future.

Im planning on doing a fairly difficult STEM major (computer science) but I'm gonna try my best to succeed. I also want to make a goal to make new friends.

Either way I can't really decide whether I'm happy or scared, it's probably both though. I feel that at least I'm lucky enough to go to college, whereas some people cannot.
High School is rough and operates on a strange reality.
College is different! You will have the best four years of your life! You will forge lifetime friendships and have awesome experiences.
I grew up in a strict and oppressive household rife with abuse. College was my way out. I look back fondly on those four years.
You will kick ass! Computer science is a great major and will land you a great job. It will be tough at times but don't give up! You got this!

Reactions: Unhumanly.
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
High School is rough and operates on a strange reality.
College is different! You will have the best four years of your life! You will forge lifetime friendships and have awesome experiences.
I grew up in a strict and oppressive household rife with abuse. College was my way out. I look back fondly on those four years.
You will kick ass! Computer science is a great major and will land you a great job. It will be tough at times but don't give up! You got this!
Yeah High School was very strict and people say college is much more lenient and you're actually treated like an adult. I hope to forge some pretty good friendships, and maybe a relationship if I can manage it. I miss companionship sometimes lmao.

I've looked into majors and STEM is growing, not much in terms of jobs really interest me, I do enjoy technology and I think I'll like coding. I also understand it'll be tough but I'm sure I'll find motivation somehow.

I hope I can finally move on from my ex and grow as a person in college.

HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
Glad to hear that you're excited! I know many can't relate but I'm really enjoying college! Just remember it's all about balancing work load. Stay on top of class work/ homework and you'll do great. The majority of it is showing up and doing your work. I also recommend only having a couple of classes each semester if you can. My biggest advice when it comes to friends is if you're on campus look for flyers about clubs/ events and go to them even if they might be out of your comfort zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grav and ThatStateOfMind
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Glad to hear that you're excited! I know many can't relate but I'm really enjoying college! Just remember it's all about balancing work load. Stay on top of class work/ homework and you'll do great. The majority of it is showing up and doing your work. I also recommend only having a couple of classes each semester if you can. My biggest advice when it comes to friends is if you're on campus look for flyers about clubs/ events and go to them even if they might be out of your comfort zone.
I was always somewhat decent at staying ahead of deadlines (except essays, I hate those and finished them last minute haha). Also what do you mean with the couple of classes each semester? And yeah I plan on hopefully joining at least one club and trying it out.

HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
I know for my school if a student has financial aid they're required to have a certain amount of credit hours which usually means 5 to 6 classes per semester. Being a full time student is really hard and everyone I know who's doing it is struggling at least a little bit. I usually do 3 classes per semester and I personally think it so much easier that way!

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I know for my school if a student has financial aid they're required to have a certain amount of credit hours which usually means 5 to 6 classes per semester. Being a full time student is really hard and everyone I know who's doing it is struggling at least a little bit. I usually do 3 classes per semester and I personally think it so much easier that way!
Oh yeah, I don't know if there's a requirement where I'm going, but I think full time is the way I'll have to go to get full financial aid. Obviously if the pressure gets too much, I can always go to the guidance office and ask if I could reduce classes.

Just looked at the course program, looks like 2 semesters will have 5 classes, and the other 2 (community college so I only go for 2 years, then transfer) semesters will have 4 classes.

I suppose I'll just wait and see how I do, especially since I'm almost completely reliant on financial aid, the school I'm going to doesn't even accept federal student loans either.

Reactions: HyenaRadio