• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I know that I haven't been enough time on citalopram (3 months now), but the side effects are horrible. I talked with my doctor about it today and she told me I'll be gradually lowering it during december. This news are incredible!! I'm never taking antidepressants ever again. The only thing that scares me is pssd (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). SD (sexual dysfunction) has been extremely stressful, so it not going away would be devastating. Do you guys know how common is pssd? And how long should it take for SD to stop?

Scattered-Soul

Scattered-Soul

It was an indescribable pain
Oct 2, 2023
Hi, I'm replying as someone who's been left with severe brain damage and a progressive neurocognitive disorder from an SSRI.

3 months is more than enough time actually, both to see any positive effects from it and to have your brain permanently changed by it. There are a lot of people who get irreversible side effects just from a single pill. I really don't wanna scare you by the way and the best advise I could give is to not panic and dwell on it no matter what the outcome is. People's reactions to these meds, including the after-effects of them are strictly individual so anything could happen. It's a good thing that your doctor listened to you and isn't forcing you to continue taking them.

PSSD isn't super common if we were to take into account the statistics and while SD is one of the most common side effects, it usually gets resolved once the person quits their medication. Even I, who was left with permanent damage from it, got my sexual function back almost immediately (which tbh I personally don't care about one bit and would gladly trade to get my cognition back but this post isn't about me). By "almost immediately" I mean a week or two by the way, some people have it for decades so a few days is nothing compared to that, you'll see how it goes after you quit your antidepressants, no one can say anything or make any predictions while you're still taking them. Good luck with your tapering and I'm hoping for the best!

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I don't think we know the exact risk because these drugs are so poorly researched for long term effects. It should be uncommon though; here is the only estimate I've seen on the risk: https://annals-general-psychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12991-023-00447-0

Their assessment is very limited but indicates a small risk of PSSD. Certainly something people should be warned about before trying antidepressants, but in any case, it is very likely you will regain functionality when you go off of the drug. SD is a very common (30-70% prevalence) side effect like @Scattered-Soul said and normally clears up.

Last edited:
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Didn't ur doc warn you about that fact? I hope you can recover and meds are not a solution to the actual problem causing MH issues in most cases. That's my personal opinion.

• Aww..
Reactions: raltsrover
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
Didn't ur doc warn you about that fact? I hope you can recover and meds are not a solution to the actual problem causing MH issues in most cases. That's my personal opinion.
My doctor didn't even mention it 😞. I know I could have researched, but I was really desperate due to insomnia.
I don't think we know the exact risk because these drugs are so poorly researched for long term effects. It should be uncommon though; here is the only estimate I've seen on the risk: https://annals-general-psychiatry.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12991-023-00447-0

Their assessment is very limited but indicates a small risk of PSSD. Certainly something people should be warned about before trying antidepressants, but in any case, it is very likely you will regain functionality when you go off of the drug. SD is a very common (30-70% prevalence) side effect like @Scattered-Soul said and normally clears up.
Thanks! This really makes me calm down a whole lot. SD should be warned BEFORE taking the medication. For some people it even worse than the problem they wanted to solve initially. Even if the statistics say it's not common, I cant help but feel a little anxious tho. What if I'm the minority? Hahahaah
Hi, I'm replying as someone who's been left with severe brain damage and a progressive neurocognitive disorder from an SSRI.

3 months is more than enough time actually, both to see any positive effects from it and to have your brain permanently changed by it. There are a lot of people who get irreversible side effects just from a single pill. I really don't wanna scare you by the way and the best advise I could give is to not panic and dwell on it no matter what the outcome is. People's reactions to these meds, including the after-effects of them are strictly individual so anything could happen. It's a good thing that your doctor listened to you and isn't forcing you to continue taking them.

PSSD isn't super common if we were to take into account the statistics and while SD is one of the most common side effects, it usually gets resolved once the person quits their medication. Even I, who was left with permanent damage from it, got my sexual function back almost immediately (which tbh I personally don't care about one bit and would gladly trade to get my cognition back but this post isn't about me). By "almost immediately" I mean a week or two by the way, some people have it for decades so a few days is nothing compared to that, you'll see how it goes after you quit your antidepressants, no one can say anything or make any predictions while you're still taking them. Good luck with your tapering and I'm hoping for the best!
Thanks! I'm so sorry that you suffer from those effects :(. Did they start immediately or gradually?

Last edited:
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
I have the same fear.
I'm using SSRI max dose for a while. Along with a lot of other pills.
My libido disappeared and I hate it. I already had problems with it, and now on medication is worse
I really fear having this forever. And I also can't see my psych removing the SSRI, I'm already 3 years on it.
Part of what drives my motivation is my libido, and without it I'm left with little to no motivation

raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I have the same fear.
I'm using SSRI max dose for a while. Along with a lot of other pills.
My libido disappeared and I hate it. I already had problems with it, and now on medication is worse
I really fear having this forever. And I also can't see my psych removing the SSRI, I'm already 3 years on it.
Part of what drives my motivation is my libido, and without it I'm left with little to no motivation
Yea. Sexuality is one of the most important aspect of being human for most people. Gladly I'm not "rock bottom" with my libido, but it has decreased about 70%. May I ask what SSRI are you taking?

Reactions: lachrymost
Scattered-Soul

Scattered-Soul

It was an indescribable pain
Oct 2, 2023
My doctor didn't even mention it 😞. I know I could have researched, but I was really desperate due to insomnia.
To be honest, there are like 200 different side effects when it comes to these meds and if doctors were honest with their patients about them, the number of people taking them would decrease drastically. I don't get why they don't mention the sexual dysfunction at least, it affects more than half of the people who take these drugs and even people who aren't that familiar with those meds know about that specifically. Also I don't understand why they'd prescribe you Citalopram aka an SSRI for insomnia, there must be way better options out there with less risks, I know that doctors push these meds for everything (including stuff like IBS and chronic pain) but it'll never stop being weird to me.
Thanks! I'm so sorry that you suffer from those effects :(. Did they start immediately or gradually?
(This is gonna be super long which I apologize for, I just tend to overexplain stuff especially when I'm asked about it, feel free to not reply to me, I'm simply offering it as information)

I'd say they started immediately and then worsened gradually. This started in Jan 2020. One hour after I took my first pill I got a straining feeling on the surface of my brain, as if something was physically prodding at it, it was unlike anything I had experienced in my life but I told myself that it was probably just a headache side effect. That was in the morning, then in the evening something weird happened, I remember standing in front of the mirror, looking at my face and it was as if reality was falling apart, the muscles on my face felt weird and a bit paralyzed, I couldn't move my tongue as I wanter, it became harder to speak, I couldn't think properly.

During basically the first 2-3 days I suddenly lost access to most of my memories and vocabulary, it was hard for me to form any thoughts and keep them in my heads, to visualize anything, to speak, I got depersonalization and derealization in the form of a thick fog, I felt extremely detached from everyone and deeply sedated, my emotions were severely blunted and my visual and auditory processing were really off, like for example days prior to that I'd listen to certain music and watch certain things and they'd make me cry, laugh, feel fuzzy inside etc. But after I started the meds I felt numb both in my body and in my head and I couldn't even properly process what I was seeing/hearing. Those were my most debilitating side effects but I also got all kinds of pain and burning throughout my body, pressure, anger issues, chills, disorientation, extreme fatigue etc pretty much anything you could think of.

As for the sexual dysfunction, I've never had much of a libido so that didn't change much but I felt something like a blockage in my genitals? Sorry if this is TMI, basically any orgasm would be way harder to achieve and wouldn't be nearly as intense. Doctor kept me on the meds for 9 months thinking they would work at some point or that I'd feel better but after even few weeks of living like that I started feeling like a complete shell of my former self, like my life had never even happened, I'd only deteoriate further and further, my brain felt like it was splitting apart, I tried to CTB twice during those 9 months because of it and long story short, even after I stopped taking the meds, my brain stayed the exact same and has only been falling apart more and more, it's been more than 3 years since then and I'm almost completely non-functional. I really hope that all of your side effects lift once your stop the meds and you don't experience much of a withdrawal.

goodnightmiku

goodnightmiku

Feb 21, 2023
Not to concern you at all but I struggled with this as well and even though I haven't been on any meds since around a year I still have it unfortunately. I really hope you are luckier than I was <3

• Aww..
Reactions: NumbItAll
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
Not to concern you at all but I struggled with this as well and even though I haven't been on any meds since around a year I still have it unfortunately. I really hope you are luckier than I was <3
Man that must suck :(. I took citalopram in the past for about a year and got my libido back. Idk if the same is gonna happen this time, but I'm definitely not taking this medication ever again
To be honest, there are like 200 different side effects when it comes to these meds and if doctors were honest with their patients about them, the number of people taking them would decrease drastically. I don't get why they don't mention the sexual dysfunction at least, it affects more than half of the people who take these drugs and even people who aren't that familiar with those meds know about that specifically. Also I don't understand why they'd prescribe you Citalopram aka an SSRI for insomnia, there must be way better options out there with less risks, I know that doctors push these meds for everything (including stuff like IBS and chronic pain) but it'll never stop being weird to me.

(This is gonna be super long which I apologize for, I just tend to overexplain stuff especially when I'm asked about it, feel free to not reply to me, I'm simply offering it as information)

I'd say they started immediately and then worsened gradually. This started in Jan 2020. One hour after I took my first pill I got a straining feeling on the surface of my brain, as if something was physically prodding at it, it was unlike anything I had experienced in my life but I told myself that it was probably just a headache side effect. That was in the morning, then in the evening something weird happened, I remember standing in front of the mirror, looking at my face and it was as if reality was falling apart, the muscles on my face felt weird and a bit paralyzed, I couldn't move my tongue as I wanter, it became harder to speak, I couldn't think properly.

During basically the first 2-3 days I suddenly lost access to most of my memories and vocabulary, it was hard for me to form any thoughts and keep them in my heads, to visualize anything, to speak, I got depersonalization and derealization in the form of a thick fog, I felt extremely detached from everyone and deeply sedated, my emotions were severely blunted and my visual and auditory processing were really off, like for example days prior to that I'd listen to certain music and watch certain things and they'd make me cry, laugh, feel fuzzy inside etc. But after I started the meds I felt numb both in my body and in my head and I couldn't even properly process what I was seeing/hearing. Those were my most debilitating side effects but I also got all kinds of pain and burning throughout my body, pressure, anger issues, chills, disorientation, extreme fatigue etc pretty much anything you could think of.

As for the sexual dysfunction, I've never had much of a libido so that didn't change much but I felt something like a blockage in my genitals? Sorry if this is TMI, basically any orgasm would be way harder to achieve and wouldn't be nearly as intense. Doctor kept me on the meds for 9 months thinking they would work at some point or that I'd feel better but after even few weeks of living like that I started feeling like a complete shell of my former self, like my life had never even happened, I'd only deteoriate further and further, my brain felt like it was splitting apart, I tried to CTB twice during those 9 months because of it and long story short, even after I stopped taking the meds, my brain stayed the exact same and has only been falling apart more and more, it's been more than 3 years since then and I'm almost completely non-functional. I really hope that all of your side effects lift once your stop the meds and you don't experience much of a withdrawal.
I'm so sorry for what you've been through. What have the doctors said about this? Also, it's not TMI, literally the same is happening to me. I have a sex drive but orgasm takes forever because my genitals feel kinda numb, as if they had anesthesia. Anyways, I hope you get better from this, I'm sure it's pretty horrible :(.
Update: I'll start lowering the dose on the 11th of december and properly stop taking it the 17th.

Last edited:
Reactions: lachrymost
nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
This. I was completely numb until I started taking it in tandem with my prozac
Wellbutrin/ bupropion is a really helpful medication. I was on it for a few years until I tried psilocybin.

raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I'm taking half dose since friday and things have gotten better, not perfect, but better. I guess I'm not gonna have pssd?I'm gradually stopping it to prevent a relapse or abstinence symptoms. I'm actually feeling happier now that I'm taking less of it... I'm feeling my emotions and expressing them to those I love. :)

M

marcowiz

Jul 30, 2023
I know that I haven't been enough time on citalopram (3 months now), but the side effects are horrible. I talked with my doctor about it today and she told me I'll be gradually lowering it during december. This news are incredible!! I'm never taking antidepressants ever again. The only thing that scares me is pssd (post SSRI sexual dysfunction). SD (sexual dysfunction) has been extremely stressful, so it not going away would be devastating. Do you guys know how common is pssd? And how long should it take for SD to stop?
my first antidepressant was Escitalopram. as soon as i started taking 20 mg, so after like 5 days, i lost the ability to have an orgasm in a reasonable time. After 4 more days i realised that its not just an exception but it was getting worse and worse. First day of full dosage it took 45mins, second day no orgasm possible, 3rd day like 70mins, 4th day 90mins. So I talked to my therapist and reduced back to 10mg. After 2 more days everything was back to normal (5-10mins of jerking). Then i tried Wellbutrin, but there was no helpfull effect and on 300mg i wasnt able to sleep anymore. So now i dont take anything. :ohhhh:

I am 100% sure that the SD is underplayed by therapist like crazy. There were many people with me in the hospital that also had SD on Escitalopram.

were you informed by your doctor or therapist that there is a high chance of that happening?

i was so mad at them not warning me. jerking off is sometimes the only time where i am happy for a few minutes. the Doctor just decided for me, that I dont need to be involved in that decision. One more System that doesnt matter, who cares? And when i complained, they asked if i have a girlfriend and if not, it didnt seem important that it caused issues.

Last edited:
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
People that get PSSD often have their symptoms go after starting a new anti-depressant, oddly enough. Or you can wait.

raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
my first antidepressant was Escitalopram. as soon as i started taking 20 mg, so after like 5 days, i lost the ability to have an orgasm in a reasonable time. After 4 more days i realised that its not just an exception but it was getting worse and worse. First day of full dosage it took 45mins, second day no orgasm possible, 3rd day like 70mins, 4th day 90mins. So I talked to my therapist and reduced back to 10mg. After 2 more days everything was back to normal (5-10mins of jerking). Then i tried Wellbutrin, but there was no helpfull effect and on 300mg i wasnt able to sleep anymore. So now i dont take anything. :ohhhh:

I am 100% sure that the SD is underplayed by therapist like crazy. There were many people with me in the hospital that also had SD on Escitalopram.

were you informed by your doctor or therapist that there is a high chance of that happening?

i was so mad at them not warning me. jerking off is sometimes the only time where i am happy for a few minutes. the Doctor just decided for me, that I dont need to be involved in that decision. One more System that doesnt matter, who cares? And when i complained, they asked if i have a girlfriend and if not, it didnt seem important that it caused issues.
They didn't warn me!!! And I do have a boyfriend 😞. I never lost the ability to orgasm at all, but it took me like 40 minutes to do it myself and I wasn't able to if my boyfriend was doing it. He isn't bad at it either, it's just that I was the only person that could understand the little sensibility that I had left. Now that my dose has been lowered it has gotten better, now he can achieve it and I feel much better. It's not perfect, as It's not as it used to be, but I guess I'll have to wait until I stop taking it completely. NEVER TAKING AN SSRI AGAIN.

• Hmph!
Reactions: marcowiz