Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
Even though I have no prospective spouse in my sight (and am highly unlikely ever to marry, since I am now 53), I like to look at wedding gowns online and watch TV shows like Say Yes to the Dress. (What can I say? I am a very girly girl :wink: ) One of my favorite wedding gown websites is Latter Day Bride. I like the styles there (although I am a Catholic and not a Mormon) because I prefer to dress modestly. Many wedding gowns sold elsewhere are strapless. My favorite wedding gown silhouettes are A-line and ballgown. I like sleeves that do not fit too closely to the arm (at least in part because I have flabby biceps — even when I was a size 12, they were larger than average for that size — and I have had many experiences of trying on clothes that fit everywhere except the too-tight upper arms). Also, I like lace wedding gowns. My current favorite wedding gown is Latter Day Bride's style Calabria:

I would wear it with a matching fingertip-length Spanish style lace mantilla veil (kind of like this), a crystal sash, and a pair of bridal shoes. I suppose if I had a couple of thousand dollars lying around, I would buy this dress (and sash, and veil, and shoes) to be buried in. Although $1315 is not too exorbitant a price for a wedding gown, I still think that is too much for something that is worn only once, whether for a wedding or a funeral. Ah well!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: RM5998, Brick In The Wall, mattwitt and 3 others
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
I love to look at things I have absolutely no need for and just to muse on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

It's a very pretty dress and if you want to spend $1300 on a dress to get married (or buried in) and it's your money, then do what brings you joy that's what I say! Why not go to the bridal shops and try some dresses on just for fun. There's no harm in that whatsoever.

Reactions: Cevapcici, goomsoom, Brick In The Wall and 2 others
Maravillosa

Maravillosa

Господи помилуй — мир в Україні!
Sep 7, 2018
I love to look at things I have absolutely no need for and just to muse on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

It's a very pretty dress and if you want to spend $1300 on a dress to get married (or buried in) and it's your money, then do what brings you joy that's what I say! Why not go to the bridal shops and try some dresses on just for fun. There's no harm in that whatsoever.

Thanks for the comment and the compliment on the dress. In order to try on dresses at a bridal shop, one usually has to make an appointment and state the date of one's wedding. It would seem quite weird for a customer to come to an appointment at a bridal shop by herself. It might make the staff suspect that there is no actual wedding planned. Often a bride will bring a few members of her wedding party to a bridal shop appointment: her mother and/or maid of honor and/or sister et al. And unfortunately, I do not have $1300 laying around :meh: I am on SSI and receive a bit less than $600 a month: I seldom have more than $700 to my name.

• Hugs
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
You may not have a potential husband right now but that doesn't mean you never will. It's good to keep some hopes and dreams alive. People get married at all ages so keep your eyes on that perfect dress, you just never know!

Reactions: goomsoom
G

goomsoom

M - 30
Jan 17, 2020
offtopic - I sometimes watch that show Say yes to Dress and I am guy with no interest in wedding dresses, I find it easy to watch some random show in which story ends in every episode and I don't have to think much while binge watching. Someone in chat said I am like their grandfather who watch shows he doesn't like lol I am no where close to become grandfather. Although I have worked with people who makes these dresses for a short time but it was more in administrative department.

Reactions: Cevapcici
C

Cevapcici

Student
Dec 30, 2018
I'm also guilty of spying on the newest wedding dresses ( mostly on Chinese websites, so they're probably not as good irl than on the websites ) , and generally speaking, dresses that I will never buy in general. I'm even guilty of taking pictures of stuff I'd like to buy and wear but I'm not confident enough to in stores.... I enjoy window shopping wedding dress boutiques...I guess it's a "girly girl" thing ;)
$1315 is, in fact, expensive, cheap me is triggered...you could buy a car with this money.