Bianka

Bianka

No longer human
Jan 16, 2024
I just looked at what I enjoy and am good at. I like math and programming so IT it is. And I love it. Probably going to specialize in cyber security, get a CEH certificate and I'm set for life

Reactions: sserafim
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
im independent maths studying (poorly) rn to catch up on credit courses for school so i can be some kind of physicist far down the line. i dont know enough to know what ill want to specialize in - particle physics is just as fun to study as black hole radiation or orbital dynamics

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
What about materials engineering, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, and biomedical engineering?
Chem, biochem, and materials are all for people who hate themselves

Chem and biochem dont belong in the engineering department but are there anyways. See mechE section but subtract the constantly drunk part and replace with "saltine cracker eating puritan".

Materials are a loose collection of terrifying individuals not to be trusted.. stay away

Biomeds are people who wanted to be doctors but somehow ended up in engineering, no one knows how... its not really something you choose like the other ones you just materialize one day in the biomed cult.. you'll know when it happens..

• Wow
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Chem, biochem, and materials are all for people who hate themselves
Chem and biochem dont belong in the engineering department but are there anyways. See mechE section but subtract the constantly drunk part and replace with "saltine cracker eating puritan".
Biomeds are people who wanted to be doctors but somehow ended up in engineering, no one knows how... its not really something you choose like the other ones you just materialize one day in the biomed cult.. you'll know when it happens..
Why are they all for people who hate themselves? Lol why don't chem and biochem belong in engineering? Lmao "saltine cracker eating puritan" what is that supposed to mean 😂

Last edited:
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
I speak only facts.

• Informative
S

SMG08ABUSER

I got no iPhone
Dec 20, 2023
I'm actually going back to college very soon and my semester starts next week. My program is for a bachelor's in software engineering. Despite the tech layoffs happening in the industry currently, I feel very optimistic about this field. They won't last forever, and I'm sure that I'll be successful as long as I put the time in and truly give it my best effort.

Just 3 years ago, I was absolutely aimless in life and had no idea what I wanted to do. Working 3 years of crappy jobs and having to deal with the customer service industry gave me a much needed sense of direction in life. I'm 24 years old, and I finally feel a sense of hope for the first time in a very long time.

Last edited:
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
I would go with nursing if I was healthy. Unfortunately I have fibromyalgia and CFS which is limiting.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I've already majored in animation and business. Failed the former and only Chegg'd my way through the latter. I don't think I have the mental acuity to want to major in anything else.

The problem with college is that no matter how excited you are to learn something, they'll make sure you'll still be bored or stressed out from other subjects you have to learn as part of general education or maybe the very thing you want to learn itself is too difficult or something about it can be worse than you imagined. All that only for the major you chose to either be hyper competitive forcing you to work your ass off even if your major is good for jobs or maybe the major you picked ISN'T good for any job people pay highly for so now you wasted all that time and money and nobody wants to hire you. But then even if your major seems fine for a job those jobs still aren't hiring either.

Reactions: sserafim and reclaimedbynature
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
You should take this test. I took it for fun and got materials engineer.
https://ikigaitest.com/

Here are the fastest growing occupations/ones with the best outlook:
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm

Here are the highest paying ones:
https://www.bls.gov/ooh/highest-paying.htm

Personally, if I could re-do college, I would choose to major in computer science, data science, economics or engineering. I think that for career, you should aim to be a doctor and go into medicine.
I'm majoring in underwater basket weaving.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: CuriosityAndCat and sserafim
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
baking/cooking (i want to take the courses at 2 local CCs even if that means taking some of the courses twice 🤓🤓)

untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
Some sort of naturey thing. Entomology, ecologist, meteorologist, botanist ect. I don't even want to be rich doing it, id just want enough money to live comfortable. Unfortunately, it can't and won't ever happen though. No money, no brains, no way.

JordanF

JordanF

Sep 21, 2023
Accounting is in high demand, especially if you are a CPA. Anything in the medical field is also usually worth it.

A lot of people talk about compsci, but the tech field is oversaturated and it has high rates of unemployment when the economy takes a downturn. If you want stability, I believe becoming a CPA is much more worthwhile.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Accounting is in high demand, especially if you are a CPA. Anything in the medical field is also usually worth it.

A lot of people talk about compsci, but the tech field is oversaturated and it has high rates of unemployment when the economy takes a downturn. If you want stability, I believe becoming a CPA is much more worthwhile.
What's the best in the medical field?

JordanF

JordanF

Sep 21, 2023
What's the best in the medical field?
There are a lot of different options depending on how long you want to go to school for and how much money you want to make. Nursing is a popular choice, but there are more specialized things that you can also study like radiology which usually doesn't require as many years in school.

CNA is another good program which you don't have to go to school for, you just have to get a certificate. However, the pay isn't very good and it's very hard work.

I don't know about all the programs so I can't give details on all the different possible options in the medical field, but you could probably talk to a school counselor and get advice there.

• Informative
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
There are a lot of different options depending on how long you want to go to school for and how much money you want to make. Nursing is a popular choice, but there are more specialized things that you can also study like radiology which usually doesn't require as many years in school.

CNA is another good program which you don't have to go to school for, you just have to get a certificate. However, the pay isn't as good as most other options. It is very hard work as well.

I don't know about all the programs so I can't give details on all the different possible options in the medical field, but you could probably talk to a school counselor and get advice there.
What if you already have a bachelor's degree in a related field? Should you just go for MD then?

JordanF

JordanF

Sep 21, 2023
What if you already have a bachelor's degree in a related field? Should you just go for MD then?
From what I've heard, you'll make a massive amount of money but every step of the way will be extremely hard. Personally, I would rather just make less money for not having to deal with all of it. You can easily make a liveable wage off of being a nurse.

• Informative
Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
The degree is less important than the connections you make. Focus on work that doesn't make you want to kill yourself and talk to people, doesn't even matter if they are in your field. Join clubs that you feel empowered to participate in, try shit out of your comfort zone and grow not just academically/vocationally. If you approach your future holistically, your chances of "success" are far greater. And take advantage of the school's mental health services. They can be hit or miss, but if you are willing to try and fail then you may gain at least an iota of benefit.