Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
My ocd is a little asshole that interferes with everything, so I don't know what to do.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and WhatPowerIs
B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
I was supposed to go to college this fall. My major was marine biology, and I was also planning on getting a certification in diving at the same time. I found out in June that I'm going to lose my vision by next year. Now I can't do any of what I love anymore. I was finally going to move to my dream city, go to school, and start my life. This my dream for many years and I was so excited to finally live it out. I won't be able to do that anymore. My future is not something I want to be around to see. I hope to ctb in the next week or two. Sorry for the vent, but to answer your question, I would major in marine biology and live out my dream to the fullest.
My advice to you would be to find something that you truly enjoy doing and find a way to make it profitable. Dealing with ocd is tough, I've dealt with it on and off for a few years. And you also don't have to go to college to be successful. I have many people in my life that never got a formal degree, or never used the degree they had, and they have amazing lives. ( wish you the best of luck and I hope you are able to live the best life possible. Love and peace,

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: _Broken_alice, XdragonsoulX, ImpishIndulgence and 10 others
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I was supposed to go to college this fall. My major was marine biology, and I was also planning on getting a certification in diving at the same time. I found out in June that I'm going to lose my vision by next year. Now I can't do any of what I love anymore. I was finally going to move to my dream city, go to school, and start my life. This my dream for many years and I was so excited to finally live it out. I won't be able to do that anymore. My future is not something I want to be around to see. I hope to ctb in the next week or two. Sorry for the vent, but to answer your question, I would major in marine biology and live out my dream to the fullest.
My advice to you would be to find something that you truly enjoy doing and find a way to make it profitable. Dealing with ocd is tough, I've dealt with it on and off for a few years. And you also don't have to go to college to be successful. I have many people in my life that never got a formal degree, or never used the degree they had, and they have amazing lives. ( wish you the best of luck and I hope you are able to live the best life possible. Love and peace,
Why are you losing your vision?

I don't really enjoy much which makes it harder.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and sserafim
B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
Why are you losing your vision?

Genetic condition, it starts showing up in young adulthood. I am only 19 and I have no interest in living in darkness.
I understand how you feel, I find it hard to enjoy any of the things I used to anymore. Is there anything you used to enjoy at some point in your life?

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: SoulCage, sserafim, FormerlyFe(IV) and 1 other person
inanna

inanna

nervous Dom
Aug 12, 2023
Mechanical engineering so I could learn to build useful things like carbonators or whatever.

Reactions: sserafim, FormerlyFe(IV) and HighFlight
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
@bluebus - I sorry you're losing your vision and is having a major impact on your life. I was unable to follow my college major / career path dreams because of poor vision. Disappointing, but nothing like what you must be going through. I wish you all the best, and hope you can find a way to turn this around into something positive. (I'm sure this doesn't sound possible right now, but please don't give up so quickly.)

My advice to you would be to find something that you truly enjoy doing and find a way to make it profitable. Dealing with ocd is tough, I've dealt with it on and off for a few years. And you also don't have to go to college to be successful. I have many people in my life that never got a formal degree, or never used the degree they had, and they have amazing lives.
Great advice! (You may have a career in helping others dealing with their disabilities.) Also, keep an eye on the technology advancements in AI. Old careers are going away and new ones are being created. If you're curious about this, try going to ChatGPT or Bard and tell it the things you enjoy doing. Then ask it for a list of jobs that don't exist today but could in the future based on your preferences.

What types of things interest you? What do you do well? Start here, and keep questioning and exploring options.

Wishing both of you all the best. :heart:

• Love
Reactions: ImpishIndulgence, sserafim, heavyeyes and 1 other person
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Genetic condition, it starts showing up in young adulthood. I am only 19 and I have no interest in living in darkness.
I understand how you feel, I find it hard to enjoy any of the things I used to anymore. Is there anything you used to enjoy at some point in your life?
What's it called?

i'm analytical and enjoy that, but I don't know what to pursue that won't be affected by ocd. Some things are worse than others such as accounting.

One idea is get the degree and if I can't get a job then ctb so that gives me 2-3 more years of life. Hopefully by then I'd be burned out enough by suffering that ctb is easy.
@bluebus - I sorry you're losing your vision and is having a major impact on your life. I was unable to follow my college major / career path dreams because of poor vision. Disappointing, but nothing like what you must be going through. I wish you all the best, and hope you can find a way to turn this around into something positive. (I'm sure this doesn't sound possible right now, but please don't give up so quickly.)

Great advice! (You may have a career in helping others dealing with their disabilities.) Also, keep an eye on the technology advancements in AI. Old careers are going away and new ones are being created. If you're curious about this, try going to ChatGPT or Bard and tell it the things you enjoy doing. Then ask it for a list of jobs that don't exist today but could in the future based on your preferences.

What types of things interest you? What do you do well? Start here, and keep questioning and exploring options.

Wishing both of you all the best. :heart:
So if I can't figure out what Im passionate about, do what I somewhat like and am good at? That means an English degree. English class in grade school destroyed reading for me. I hate analyzing texts and reading a 100 pages a night sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
Thank you for your kind words. I wish I could say that I am strong enough to face this challenge but I would rather not be alive at all than be forced to live a life that isn't mine. It may sound a tad dramatic but it's true. I have no interest in living this way.
What's it called?

i'm analytical and enjoy that, but I don't know what to pursue that won't be affected by ocd. Some things are worse than others such as accounting.

One idea is get the degree and if I can't get a job then ctb so that gives me 2-3 more years of life. Hopefully by then I'd be burned out enough by suffering that ctb is easy.

So if I can't figure out what Im passionate about, do what I somewhat like and am good at? That means an English degree. English class in grade school destroyed reading for me. I hate analyzing texts and reading a 100 pages a night sometimes.
Retinitis Pigmentosa- I have an aggressive version. Not much left to do but ctb as peacefully as possible.
I don't know you personally so it is difficult to give you good advice that isn't generalized. I am so sorry that you are struggling, you seem to be in a lot of pain. If you are analytical there are many paths you can take, and not all of them are obvious. There are so many different ways to make your way through the world. Your ocd definitely seems to be holding you back, is that right? Is that the main cause of suffering? If so I would try and work on that first, obviously it's much easier said than done. Then I would say to try and focus on the good if you can. You can really do something wonderful in the world, all of us can. It's just a matter of actually doing it. Sometimes the pain is so overwhelming that nothing else seems to matter. But try to do something that you are proud of and that makes you happy in some way. Helping others is the best way to do that in my opinion.
You don't seem ready to ctb yet, which is great. You still have a chance. You still have so many opportunities waiting for you. Don't let yourself keep suffering for 2-3 more years, use those 2-3 years to do something great, to make a meaningful impact on the world. It'll be much more satisfying, trust me. You don't have to be Mother Theresa or Ghandi or Mandela. Just taking care of the people in your life and doing good to those around you is enough. It sounds cheesy but it's the truth. The world would be a much better place if we all treated people the way we want to be treated. This sort of turned into a vent I'm sorry. This is not targeted specifically at you, I hope others can take something away from this as well. If English is something you are good at then that is definitely something worth pursuing, but don't do it because you feel obligated. I love to read and write but English class was never my favorite either.

Last edited:
HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
I wish I could say that I am strong enough to face this challenge but I would rather not be alive at all than be forced to live a life that isn't mine. It may sound a tad dramatic but it's true. I have no interest in living this way.
I believe that you are stronger than you think. Keep in mind that with or without your vision, it's still your life. And only you get to choose what you do with it.

O

olearius

wannabe polymath
Jun 25, 2023
I did a science degree and kind of fucked about while dealing with chronic illness. I always wanted to go to medical school. Medicine is my special interest and as a hobby it's kept me alive.

So when my illnesses got more controlled, I got a MA license and a patient care tech license. I even took the MCAT. But my depression and chronic suicidality have gotten much worse so now I'm not sure. I still work in a hospital though.

You mentioned being very analytical. Basically all medical jobs fit someone with autism, ADHD or OCD (I'm autistic w/ ADHD).

So if you enjoy science you can look into: nursing (lil less science more human caring pieces), medicine (Dr/PA, more science), clinical laboratory sciences (working with tissue, blood, etc) - or if you want science with more physical demands paramedic and emergency medical responder is good.

Tangentially, if you like animals, vet medicine is much the same way and has all different options and specialties for exotics like handling raptors etc.

Reactions: sserafim and FormerlyFe(IV)
B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
I believe that you are stronger than you think. Keep in mind that with or without your vision, it's still your life. And only you get to choose what you do with it.
Thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. You are absolutely right, I have a choice and I can choose to live. I just don't think I want to anymore

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and HighFlight
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
I go to college for Computer Engineering, but I want to transfer to Computer Science. Here a Computer Engineering degree is a glorified Electrical Engineering degree, and boy, did I learn that I don't give a damn about Electrical. It's hard, obvious stuff isn't intuitive for me, and I don't like the topic at all. Other than programming FPGAs using Verilog I (like how the miners do) and making my own basic CPU, I regret going to computer Engineering.

Computer Science is less calculus-y and more discrete mathematics-y which I do prefer. I did a one and a half year vocational (técnico) course in computers during High School and learned that I really do like programming. I have already been employed in the field and I indeed wish to continue working as a developer in the future.

@Ambivalent1, to address your thoughts, I'm not sure as to how bad your OCD is, but have you considered jobs that are more friendly to your condition? Maybe jobs that are largely available to work from home, so you have control of your surroundings at all times? You said you are analytical and enjoyed English, would you consider working as an Editor or even a Copywriter? Writing corportate fluff can require knowing your audience and pays OK I think. How do you deal with math? Accounting, business analyst, data scientist, or programming might also be options if you are technically inclined.

Reactions: narayana0121 and sserafim
themisfell

themisfell

May 31, 2023
i'm majoring in political science and i honestly have my career plan pretty much mapped out, just a matter of like... not being suicidal haha

Touhou

Touhou

2hu
Mar 9, 2023
Architecture.
i'm majoring in political science and i honestly have my career plan pretty much mapped out, just a matter of like... not being suicidal haha
Poli-sci? Nice! Anyways, could I get some extra whipped cream with my frappe, please?

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and Ambivalent1
themisfell

themisfell

May 31, 2023
Architecture.

Poli-sci? Nice! Anyways, could I get some extra whipped cream with my frappe, please?
there are plenty of well-paying jobs in political science, especially if you're passionate about it and pursue your masters (which i plan to get my MPA). No need to be a prick.

Reactions: Anxi0usandDepressed and sserafim
Touhou

Touhou

2hu
Mar 9, 2023
there are plenty of well-paying jobs in political science, especially if you're passionate about it and pursue your masters (which i plan to get my MPA). No need to be a prick.
It's a joke. Sorry if you found it offensive.

themisfell

themisfell

May 31, 2023
It's a joke. Sorry if you found it offensive.
It's still not very kind on a site where we're all just struggling people. I didn't really ask for your joke and I'm sure you wouldn't really appreciate people making jokes about your passions, either.

• Aww..
Reactions: Anxi0usandDepressed, sserafim, WhatPowerIs and 2 others
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I did a science degree and kind of fucked about while dealing with chronic illness. I always wanted to go to medical school. Medicine is my special interest and as a hobby it's kept me alive.

So when my illnesses got more controlled, I got a MA license and a patient care tech license. I even took the MCAT. But my depression and chronic suicidality have gotten much worse so now I'm not sure. I still work in a hospital though.

You mentioned being very analytical. Basically all medical jobs fit someone with autism, ADHD or OCD (I'm autistic w/ ADHD).

So if you enjoy science you can look into: nursing (lil less science more human caring pieces), medicine (Dr/PA, more science), clinical laboratory sciences (working with tissue, blood, etc) - or if you want science with more physical demands paramedic and emergency medical responder is good.

Tangentially, if you like animals, vet medicine is much the same way and has all different options and specialties for exotics like handling raptors etc.
I'd do healthcare, but I won't get the covid vaccine. It's not required anymore, but I suspect covid will re-enter the news during flu season bringing back mandates with it.
I go to college for Computer Engineering, but I want to transfer to Computer Science. Here a Computer Engineering degree is a glorified Electrical Engineering degree, and boy, did I learn that I don't give a damn about Electrical. It's hard, obvious stuff isn't intuitive for me, and I don't like the topic at all. Other than programming FPGAs using Verilog I (like how the miners do) and making my own basic CPU, I regret going to computer Engineering.

Computer Science is less calculus-y and more discrete mathematics-y which I do prefer. I did a one and a half year vocational (técnico) course in computers during High School and learned that I really do like programming. I have already been employed in the field and I indeed wish to continue working as a developer in the future.

@Ambivalent1, to address your thoughts, I'm not sure as to how bad your OCD is, but have you considered jobs that are more friendly to your condition? Maybe jobs that are largely available to work from home, so you have control of your surroundings at all times? You said you are analytical and enjoyed English, would you consider working as an Editor or even a Copywriter? Writing corportate fluff can require knowing your audience and pays OK I think. How do you deal with math? Accounting, business analyst, data scientist, or programming might also be options if you are technically inclined.
AI will put you out of work. I'd do accounting but my ocd interferes a lot. Is economics good?
President of the world?

• Yay!
Reactions: sserafim and Touhou
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
AI will put you out of work. I'd do accounting but my ocd interferes a lot. Is economics good?

I like to think of AI as a calculator. Before we actually had jobs of people doing math but now we have calculators. That means that mathematicians and physicists can work on more abstract and deeper work while computers do the menial work. Programming or Writing won't go anywhere soon. We might have tools that makes some of the more tedious process go faster but humans will always be a step ahead in seeing the bigger picture. I wouldn't base my career choices out of a fear of a newfangled "AI" buzzword.

As for Economics, I don't have much of an idea, I haven't worked with people with econ degrees but I can imagine that they can lead to people/relationship-intensive careers.

J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
I like to think of AI as a calculator. Before we actually had jobs of people doing math but now we have calculators. That means that mathematicians and physicists can work on more abstract and deeper work while computers do the menial work. Programming or Writing won't go anywhere soon. We might have tools that makes some of the more tedious process go faster but humans will always be a step ahead in seeing the bigger picture. I wouldn't base my career choices out of a fear of a newfangled "AI" buzzword.
Well said. It's my experience that only laypersons claim that AI will put programmers out of a job. Most professional SWEs or CS academics put like you do. It'll change the industry, sure, like calculators changed math and Excel changed accounting, but the work it'll replace will be the elementary sort that didn't require much thought in the first place.

LLMs generate text. They don't solve problems— and that's ultimately what a programmer is— a problem solver. In the words of one of my professors:

LLMs are great at continuing patterns and a lot of simple coding is just that pattern continuation. However they have no real understanding of the problem domain. Think of them rather as natural language interfaces to the semantic space defined by the dataset / corpus. They are a tool. You can get them to generate complex systems by carefully designing a series of prompts to get them to generate code for components of the solution then refine and integrate those outputs into an overall system. However to get useful output you need to understand the domain to produce the meaningful prompts which basically means you have to have a model of the solution in your head. That is the hard part. Not the code. Prompt based programming is going to be a thing going forward but in the same way that you can't just replace a mathematician with Wolfram Alpha an LLM is not enough to be a computer scientist (which is why both mathematics and computer science education still requires you to understand their respective languages). Mathematicians aren't paid for integrations. Computer Scientists aren't paid for code. Both are paid for solutions.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, HighFlight and FormerlyFe(IV)
P

pinemarten

Aug 18, 2023
It's worth mentioning that simply having a degree, any degree, will open doors for you in the future. Be that in applying for jobs (some of which specifically only hire graduates) or when you're in work you might find certain promotions / positions are only open to those with degrees.

Some degrees you're pretty much guaranteed a job. Stuff like medicine, nursing, accountancy. Back in the day smug me would have turned his nose up at a "boring" degree like accounting but you can make a very decent living doing just that. These days the prospect of a boring but stable job that pays well sounds much more palatable than struggling to make ends meet working minimum-wage without a degree. Don't overlook tradionally boring, but employable, degrees.

To answer your question, what would I have chosen? Knowing what I know now, I'd have applied for Software Engineering. What held me back was worrying that because I hadn't taken computing in school I wouldn't have the prerequisite knowledge for it. In hindsight that was wrong, really anyone can get in at the ground floor as we see today with coding bootcamps and dozens upon dozens of online beginner tutorials. I often wonder how different my life might have turned out if I'd gone in that direction all those years ago. If you're considering a certain degree but having similar doubts, don't. Trust that if you apply and get accepted that they'll teach you what you need to know within the degree itself.

UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
I did an English degree. Not the kind that's geared toward education. I haven't even finished but my experience in college alone in that field makes me valuable to jobs, apparently. It seemed really rigid while I was studying it but I actually find that most fields value someone who can communicate and comprehend above the average level. Not only that, the things I learned in uni have actually been beneficial in real life. Critical thinking is a godsend of a skill.

Not sure how OCD would affect this path, in my experience being really particular and extra analytical about things actually helped but I feel like if it's an obsessive compulsion, you might have a terrible time trying to get things to be perfect and become disappointed when you are left to the whims and preferences of different professors with different interpretations, interests, specialties and world views. But if you enjoy analyzing texts and writing, it's not bad at all.

HighFlight

HighFlight

Global Mod
Jun 28, 2023
LLMs generate text. They don't solve problems— and that's ultimately what a programmer is— a problem solver.
Correct, for now... the field is constantly changing and when combined with other types of AI, it will solve problems. However, it will take a lot of young, bright engineers with new ideas and perspectives to make that happen.

And like the calculator or Excel, it won't mean an end to jobs, it will simply create new ones.

@Ambivalent1 , here are some ideas for you based on some of the information you shared in this thread, courtesy of ChatGPT. Do any of these sound interesting?

Considering your analytical skills and proficiency in English, along with the challenges posed by your OCD, here are some college majors to consider:

1. **Library Science or Information Studies:** These fields would allow you to work in libraries, archives, or other information-focused environments where attention to detail and reading comprehension are essential.

2. **Data Science or Analytics:** If you're comfortable with data analysis and enjoy working with numbers, a major in data science or analytics could lead to remote or flexible work opportunities.

3. **Online Journalism or Content Creation:** Leverage your strong reading and writing skills to pursue a career in online journalism, blogging, or content creation, which often offer flexibility in work arrangements.

4. **Digital Marketing or Social Media Management:** These fields require analytical thinking and writing skills. They often offer remote work options and can be adapted to accommodate your specific needs.

5. **Academic Research or Writing:** Pursuing a career in academic research or writing allows you to delve into your interests deeply, and many aspects of this work can be done remotely or with flexible schedules.

6. **Graphic Design or Visual Communication:** If you have an interest in design and aesthetics, these fields could provide opportunities to work independently on creative projects.

7. **Online Tutoring or Teaching:** Your analytical skills can be put to use in online tutoring or teaching roles, which can often be done from home or in flexible environments.

8. **Technical Writing or Documentation:** Technical writers create guides, manuals, and documentation for various industries, often involving remote work possibilities.

9. **Freelance Editing or Proofreading:** If you have a keen eye for detail and strong language skills, freelance editing or proofreading could be a suitable choice.

10. **Virtual Assistance or Project Management:** These roles often involve organizing tasks, coordinating schedules, and managing projects from a remote location.

Last edited:
LSDXMT

LSDXMT

Aug 17, 2023
Probably mathematics for personal enjoyment or actuary science if i want a good job. I have been finding calculus very interesting, but maybe its just all of the dextroamphetamine i take haha. I would pick mathematics just to maybe one day learn higher level math like beyond real analysis, while for actuaries they focus more on statistics, which i sort of enjoy (on d-amph). If only that feeling lasted forever..., instead i must overdose it to feel alive which makes me feel more dead after, since i clearly am incompetent at feeling motivated sometimes. i dont know haha.

J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
Correct, for now... the field is constantly changing and when combined with other types of AI, it will solve problems. However, it will take a lot of young, bright engineers with new ideas and perspectives to make that happen.
Oh, for sure. AGI by definition will be able to problem-solve. But LLMs aren't AGI. And to be fair, AGI will take a lot more jobs than just programming— that's something the entire world will have to contend with.

(my first sentence in my original post should've probably read that current AI— or LLMs specifically— won't be taking programmers' jobs.)

Last edited:
Blimp

Blimp

God hates me
Jun 27, 2023
I'd love to study social psychology someday and maybe qualify as a psychologist/psychoanalyst. I find the field really interesting and I'd love to get into a career where I can help improve people's lives. But unfortunately I'm a neet fuckup with no motivation to do anything and instead I'll just rot at home.

• Aww..
Reactions: Ambivalent1
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Last edited:
Reactions: Ambivalent1
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
Have you considered making a list of what you want to do, then choosing major(s) to get your there? College is just a stepping stone.

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Civil engineering if you want a stable 9-5 and a fun side gig building tiny houses, likely love life
Environmental/Petroleum if you live for the controversy and like gambling with your whole career
Mechanical engineering if you like doing things, are constantly drunk but likely to immediately settle down, get spouse + 2 kids with middle class house in the suburbs, looking forward to retirement from the same company in 50 years.
Automotive/aerospace eng. if you didn't like designing the washing machine with the mechE's
Mechatronics if you want to be special but kind of feel sad sometimes
Electrical eng if you hate yourself
Comp eng. if you hate yourself but would like to make loads of money while at it
Computer Science if you like making loads of money, hating self optional but encouraged

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Civil engineering if you want a stable 9-5 and a fun side gig building tiny houses, likely love life
Environmental/Petroleum if you live for the controversy and like gambling with your whole career
Mechanical engineering if you like doing things, are constantly drunk but likely to immediately settle down, get spouse + 2 kids with middle class house in the suburbs, looking forward to retirement from the same company in 50 years.
Automotive/aerospace eng. if you didn't like designing the washing machine with the mechE's
Mechatronics if you want to be special but kind of feel sad sometimes
Electrical eng if you hate yourself
Comp eng. if you hate yourself but would like to make loads of money while at it
Computer Science if you like making loads of money, hating self optional but encouraged
What about materials engineering, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, and biomedical engineering?