TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
The law work so great doesn´t it, if you are diagnosed with a mental illness before you try to get a gun permit you will be rejected but what about if people want to get a diagnosis after they have obtained a gun permit? They simply can´t because we are not idiots we know that if we get diagnosed we get our guns taken away forever.

Several things are very bad about this to me the first being that my last hobby is firearms and if it was possible for me to get a good life I would like to start hunting with my dad which I can´t if I legally can´t own or shoot guns.

The second reason is the most obvious to this forum discussion which is right now I could technically just put the gun to my head and pull the trigger i.e. exit button and if I get "help" I will for the rest of my life look back on this time with regret and think why didn´t I just shoot myself when I had a gun. I know I will feel this way because I regret every day not killing myself 6-7 years ago between the ages of 18-19 back when I planned it by moving out from home in my own apartment for the sole purpose to ctb that was back when I had depression and could cry and feel sad and back then I was still a teenager so my teenage hormones that was racing through my body along with my depression was a huge emotional drive to kill myself which is by the way, WAY easier to commit suicide by emotional drive contra a rational one like now that is also why many teenagers are lucky to kill themselves because they act on their emotions because their brain (frontal cortex hasn´t fully developed yet).

So anyways I feel like I´m in a pickly right now because it would be nice to talk to a shrink mostly just to talk out and get everything off my chest and hopefully get a diagnosis but I know I will regret it for the rest of my life since the goal of getting a diagnosis would be to get pension or welfare for the rest of my life since I can´t work because of physical problems that ruins my life so even with money I would eventually ctb I am sure of it.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Yup. That's a big factor for me: I talk, they take my guns. So no talking. I don't know if I actually would seek out a shrink if I weren't worried about the legal repercussions, but I know that with the repercussions, talking to a therapist is 100% off the table.

Sorry, @TheGoodGuy. It sucks, I know.

• Aww..
Reactions: TheGoodGuy
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't know about your laws, but I'd imagine Denmark and most European countries are MUCH stricter when it comes to firearm acquisition and ownership. In the US, particularly in NC (and most states), as long as you meet the federal guidelines (not adjudicated mentally defective, not a felon, US Citizen, not dishonorably discharged, not a fugitive, no domestic violence charge/restraining order, etc.) then you can acquire one.

Yup. That's a big factor for me: I talk, they take my guns. So no talking. I don't know if I actually would seek out a shrink if I weren't worried about the legal repercussions, but I know that with the repercussions, talking to a therapist is 100% off the table.

Yeah sadly, more and more states are having similar red flag laws and what not. Even in my state of NC, there was a time or few where similar laws shown up in the legislature, but luckily it never passed or was vetoed. It really sucks and as a gun owner, I often have to control my emotions and temperament. I will admit, I do sometimes get angry, mostly at how society is run or react to others' reactions (not smart, I know...). Anyways, I always have to remind myself, I got a gun, I could take myself out anytime, don't lose it by doing anything rash or stupid.

Also, I haven't seen any therapist or doctor and if I were ever asked, I'll just have to act as though I don't own a gun (pretend that I don't own). In fact, ever since I've had my gun, I've only taken it out to dry fire it a few times every other month (within the privacy of my bedroom of course). I am also careful of how I rack the shotgun so it doesn't give off a distinct sound as I don't want anyone to know that I own a firearm.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018

See so it isn´t just me! I wonder how many gun owners would talk to a shrink or just consider it at least if they knew they wouldn´t have their guns taken away against their will.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
I know a guy who has a gun and it was required of him to give it to someone else. It wasn't actually confiscated. He now has it back. He's in the PNW.

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
I know a guy who has a gun and it was required of him to give it to someone else. It wasn't actually confiscated. He now has it back. He's in the PNW.
That is a good point I suppose I could just give them to my dad since he also has a license for handguns but of course it would take weeks or even months to get them registered.

Also it wouldn´t help me because if I would talk to a shrink and get diagnosed with a mental illness like bipolar or borderline then I would never be allowed to own guns again.

S

spanishguy22

Enlightened
Apr 9, 2019
Wait I got medicated several times for depression by my psychologist, does than mean I don't have access to guns in my country? (Spain)
I read that medical records aren't asked for the hunting permit...
i fucking hope so because thats my method...

tomz323

tomz323

Walking to the bus stop
Mar 29, 2019
My father owns a firearm, so I don't think they'd take his gun if I got help. Quick and easy way on the bus.

S

spanishguy22

Enlightened
Apr 9, 2019
Wait I got medicated several times for depression by my psychologist, does than mean I don't have access to guns in my country? (Spain)
I read that medical records aren't asked for the hunting permit...
i fucking hope so because thats my method...
i just researched and this doesnt seem like it, they will just test me psychologically with questions but they cant see my medical record, so its all good.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I'm in the PNW (WA), but the laws are getting tighter and tighter. One way or another, you cannot posess a firearm if you have been involuntarily committed, you must hand off your guns to someone else and it then becomes a felony if you're found with one. One nervous shrink, one 72-hour (about to go up to 7-day minimum!) involuntary hold, and you're screwed. While you can petition to have your right restored, it's pretty well understood that no shrink is going to go out on the legal limb and risk the liability to declare you safe to own firearms.

So if you live in WA, keep your mouth shut and stay away from shrinks.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
I'm in the PNW (WA), but the laws are getting tighter and tighter. One way or another, you cannot posess a firearm if you have been involuntarily committed, you must hand off your guns to someone else and it then becomes a felony if you're found with one. One nervous shrink, one 72-hour (about to go up to 7-day minimum!) involuntary hold, and you're screwed. While you can petition to have your right restored, it's pretty well understood that no shrink is going to go out on the legal limb and risk the liability to declare you safe to own firearms.

So if you live in WA, keep your mouth shut and stay away from shrinks.

Thanks for the info. The person I was talking about wasn't committed, even though he did admit to having suicidal thoughts to the therapist.

While the authorities are concerned about preventing suicide, I imagine they are more concerned about preventing murders or mass shootings.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
While the authorities are concerned about preventing suicide, I imagine they are more concerned about preventing murders or mass shootings.
I suspect you're right. It's a pity that homicidal and suicidal are lumped together, when all recent studies show no link between the two. That's not to say violence isn't a mental problem that should be watched for, only that therapists need to not conflate it with the desire of someone to end their own life.

I wonder if the person you mentioned spoke to the therapist and the therapist strongly recommended/ordered/ blackmailed the person into giving up the gun or else be committed.

W

WaterUnder

Student
Apr 27, 2019
I wonder if the person you mentioned spoke to the therapist and the therapist strongly recommended/ordered/ blackmailed the person into giving up the gun or else be committed.

That's a good question. I don't have the answer. I suspect he was coerced in some way, whether veiled or outright.

Reactions: TiredHorse
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I suspect you're right. It's a pity that homicidal and suicidal are lumped together, when all recent studies show no link between the two. That's not to say violence isn't a mental problem that should be watched for, only that therapists need to not conflate it with the desire of someone to end their own life.

I'd like to think that if I were put in such a situation that I would (lie or try to) convince them that I was going to 'sell' or give up my firearm but not actually do it. Or give up over my dead body (literally), in other words CTB and they can confiscate it after I'm dead (which of course wouldn't matter and pretty much defeats their agenda). I don't know, but it's just some food for thought. In all seriousness, I'm avoiding the shrinks like the plague and even if I ever seek one (for very very specific purposes) I would never mention firearms nor suicide.