new2blue

new2blue

Student
Dec 11, 2023
I am curious. Say you had an off switch. Once you flipped the switch, non existence forever follows. No one can switch it back on. It would be quick. Lights out, no pain. Part of me thinks I'd switch it immediately. Another part thinks knowing the way out is there if I need it, would help me stay around for longer. When I start doubting my ability to CTB, that's when I feel the worst. Knowing it's an option, believing it will work, helps me try out another day (if only to spend some more time with my loved ones before my patience expires)

What about you?

• Hugs
Reactions: eternityvoid, Return2themoonlight, pthnrdnojvsc and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I couldn't use it yet. I do want to wait for my Dad to go first but, I'd be so grateful knowing it was there. Imagine if everyone knew they wouldn't have to suffer at the end. It would be incredible. Reckon I will just need to do it myself though eventually. Passive ideation isn't going to help.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Return2themoonlight and new2blue
new2blue

new2blue

Student
Dec 11, 2023
I couldn't use it yet. I do want to wait for my Dad to go first but, I'd be so grateful knowing it was there. Imagine if everyone knew they wouldn't have to suffer at the end. It would be incredible. Reckon I will just need to do it myself though eventually. Passive ideation isn't going to help.
It seems there is quite a few people here holding on for others they care about. The things we do for love. I wish the love I had for my family and partner was stronger than the suffering I feel. For me it's not a matter of if but when. I doubt I will hang on for longer than six months unless a miracle happens. But I am taking it hour by hour, day by day. Holding on as long as I can, for my family, for her.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Return2themoonlight and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It seems there is quite a few people here holding on for others they care about. The things we do for love. I wish the love I had for my family and partner was stronger than the suffering I feel. For me it's not a matter of if but when. I doubt I will hang on for longer than six months unless a miracle happens. But I am taking it hour by hour, day by day. Holding on as long as I can, for my family, for her.

Yes, I think you're right. I also believe that each of us hang on for as long as we can. Like you say- it's almost like a balance- I think when our pain becomes too great- we just can't sustain it any longer. I know that people that have gone didn't love those around them any less but they just couldn't take it any more. I'm so sorry for your situation.

• Hugs
Reactions: Return2themoonlight
new2blue

new2blue

Student
Dec 11, 2023
Yes, I think you're right. I also believe that each of us hang on for as long as we can. Like you say- it's almost like a balance- I think when our pain becomes too great- we just can't sustain it any longer. I know that people that have gone didn't love those around them any less but they just couldn't take it any more. I'm so sorry for your situation.
Thank you for the kind words. That is so true. I love those around me, and if I leave it is not because they weren't enough. What makes the situation hard is that either way there's a price to pay. I just hope the note and video I leave behind helps them find closure.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Return2themoonlight and Forever Sleep
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I'd leave immediately

Y

Yaffle

Life’s a bitch
Nov 9, 2023
I've dreamt so many times of just this switch or laid in bed imagining my hand on the invisible switch and philosophised about flicking it off.

Purely because I'm not ready I haven't done so yet but if I was ready I'd switch off in a heartbeat.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Return2themoonlight
new2blue

new2blue

Student
Dec 11, 2023
I'd leave immediately
Depending on the hour of the day, I might choose the same. I am constantly flipping between holding on and nope let me get out. XD Right now is a let me get out hour.

• Hugs
Reactions: Return2themoonlight
sadslime

sadslime

broken shut-in
Jul 17, 2023
I wish i had something like that, i would use it immediately, no mess or trouble just "off" it'd be nice if everyone had that option i think

• Hugs
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Oh how much I would have liked that, I would use it in a heartbeat!

Reactions: raindrops, new2blue and Return2themoonlight
D

DinoDaAltaTCPCacaRt

Dec 27, 2023
I wish i had something like that, i would use it immediately, no mess or trouble just "off" it'd be nice if everyone had that option i think
Would be the best thing ever

Reactions: new2blue
Pidgeons_Sparrows

Pidgeons_Sparrows

-flying rat
Apr 16, 2023
wouldnt take me long, give me a day or two

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my case I would never prefer to delay the inevitable in this futile and undesirable existence, having access to an eternal and peaceful offswitch would be such a relief as right now I feel trapped in this existence because suicide is cruelly made so inacessible. No matter what I'd see it as preferable to not exist and the fact that non-existence is permanent is exactly why it appeals to me, I envy those who no longer exist as they now lack the ability to suffer, they are at peace instead and the peace of eternal nothingness is all I wish for.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: raindrops and new2blue
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I would hit that switch to turn off this horror today.

The only thing holding me up is that I don't have a method that is at least 99.5% reliable.

Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering and new2blue
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Right now I wouldn't switch myself off immediately and probably not in the coming weeks but there could be situations where I'd do it immediately.

Reactions: new2blue
M

mintgreendolphin

Nov 14, 2023
A post I commented on a few days ago about ctb via drowning has had me thinking if I should seriously consider that as my way out cause there are so many hoops I have to jump through in order to obtain a firearm legally (or illegally). Not to mention the cost of saving up for a suitable gun and bullets (but I only need one bullet so maybe I can get it at a discount? Lol)

Anyway if I drown at sea, I won't have to worry about my lifeless body being found (and traumatizing someone) if I make some preparations to ensure I sink to the bottom of the ocean so I find it quite appealing.

However...

My issue with drowning is that people say it's a painful method but your "switch" would guarantee the instant loss of my consciousness so pain wouldn't be an issue!

As for when I'd ctb with your switch, I'd probably do it asap: After a quick price check for available one way tickets to the coast within my budget right now, I can get one for Friday morning. And I wanna ctb under the stars so I'd probably be fishfood by this coming Friday night. Since the sun goes down around 20h00 (GMT+2) along the coast, I'd be in the water around that time.

R

Readytogohome

May 25, 2023
Research shows that when people are hospitalized who need IV pain medication... if they are given personal control over their IV "switch", they tend to delay pushing it, they wait as long as they possibly can. Because they know it's totally available whenever they really need it. Whereas people who are dependent on a nurse/doctor feel more desperate and less able to wait because they don't trust when (or whether) they'll actually get it. In other words, giving people autonomy to manage themselves is a good thing.

Reactions: raindrops and new2blue
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Depending on the hour of the day, I might choose the same. I am constantly flipping between holding on and nope let me get out. XD Right now is a let me get out hour.
I'm like that too actually. Right now I'd press it immediately. However, sometimes, I'd instead choose to go all out before I press it. If I fail or if I'm still unable to try, then I press it. If not, then I'll press it at a later date when things get unbearable or, at the very least, I'll always press it before I reach old age

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
This makes sense:
Research shows that when people are hospitalized who need IV pain medication... if they are given personal control over their IV "switch", they tend to delay pushing it, they wait as long as they possibly can. Because they know it's totally available whenever they really need it. Whereas people who are dependent on a nurse/doctor feel more desperate and less able to wait because they don't trust when (or whether) they'll actually get it. In other words, giving people autonomy to manage themselves is a good thing.

Would probably do it along the same lines. Not delay indefinitely but add a couple of things to the to do list, then switch off.

Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering
Painfu.Ll.suffering

Painfu.Ll.suffering

My D
Sep 17, 2023
I would press it immediately i guess... Maybe i would call some people and tell them in person "hey i found a solution, please see this as tragic but best for me and do not mourn"..
and i would stuff some chewy sweet in my mouth to have a good feeling or taste in my last moment

F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
I have a switch, I call it a trigger. It's comforting knowing it's there when I'm ready to execute my plans. Or if I decide to or need to use it.

Reactions: Arachno, FloopZee and raindrops
exiled

exiled

i gave so many signs
Jun 17, 2023
Absolutely. I would probably be able to push for quite some time; its the control and knowing the peaceful exit is at my fingertips.

Reactions: raindrops
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I am curious. Say you had an off switch. Once you flipped the switch, non existence forever follows. No one can switch it back on. It would be quick. Lights out, no pain. Part of me thinks I'd switch it immediately. Another part thinks knowing the way out is there if I need it, would help me stay around for longer. When I start doubting my ability to CTB, that's when I feel the worst. Knowing it's an option, believing it will work, helps me try out another day (if only to spend some more time with my loved ones before my patience expires)

What about you?
I'd probably accidently flip my switch while I'm having the time of my life/enjoying life. just my luck that....but yeah, i would of turned my life off by now

Reactions: FloopZee
PathtoDie

PathtoDie

Nov 20, 2023
If I get into a situation where I'm unable to escape, unable to bear, unable to recover, I'd then flip the switch without a second thought. Maybe one of my loved ones died, maybe I got extreme fever, headache, dizziness, etc. I wouldn't keep pushing through these issues just because I have the option to flip the switch IMO.

Reactions: raindrops
dreambound

dreambound

Student
Dec 14, 2021
'if everyone knew they wouldn't suffer in the end'.....many people's outlook on life would change overnight & the effect on society in general would be profound.....its sad that society creates such a situation of fear.
When you imagine the off-switch scenario it makes you wonder how the present system has survived this long,
maybe the off-switch would be like returning to the 1960's when N was available as a prescription drug .

Reactions: Forever Sleep
E

Endofit

Get me out of here
Jan 19, 2024
I think it would dramatically change society. If there was a switch, a lot of people would switch it, and I think life would have a whole new value. People's welfare would be far more important because it would be constantly questionned, and I believe it would lead to better values in society. Unfortunately in nowadays society, suicice is paired with violence. The violence in the act, in people's mind, in how common people talk about it. I mean we are all here discussing terrible ways to go, it souldnt be that way. The modern world is sacralizing death and making it absurdly violent to ctb, or to get treated (cold psych ward, "there is worst than you" speech...). With an off switch, the discussion would immediately come down to actively resolving people's reasons to ctb.

ThymeToLeave

ThymeToLeave

Adventurer
Dec 12, 2023
An off switch like that would be the greatest gift anyone can give me. I would wait and use it when the time is right.

pfuxx1

pfuxx1

Sep 19, 2023

What about you?
Yes, its the reason i bought myself a gun. It basically is an off switch. Most of the time when you shoot yourself you dont come back, so thats how i look at it. I feel way more better about myself knowing i can just kill myself at any time, literally it just gave me so much more confidence. If the times comes, whenever, ill pull that trigger, but i have to really think about if its worth it because it takes no planning, prep or anything. it feels really good when u feel like u cant control anything else.

Reactions: Arachno
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I'd have flipped it years ago. Child dead at 10, more news at 8.

Reactions: throneofdispair03