• I hate my job

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Bonus questions:

Has your enjoyment (or lack thereof) affected your suicidality?
If you could get a different job with the skills you have now, would you?

As for me, my job isn't the worst or best I've had. Since I need a flexible position for school, this is probably where I will stay until that's completed. I really, really don't want to go in today though. Had some run-ins with both coworkers and management in this department recently. I wish I could just work in my main area.

Basically, it pays the bills. Really bad days push me into greater suicidality, but they are not overly common.

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
my job is close to being the best I ever had, it's the best paying and the best company I've ever worked for, but I am on call and hate it. I get burnt out every month and rarely do my assigned tasks because I am trying to manage my mental health. my manager is not very good at managing me and handling my neurodivergence. I beg for documentation / more things in writing and essentially get told "no" "write it yourself". My boss admitted that he commits to doing stuff then doesn't follow through. I need therapy, specifically someone who can help me learn to cope with full time employment with a dissociative disorder, and figure out what accommodations I need. And then I need to follow through with officially asking, in writing, to HR.

my job makes my suicidality worse. I keep saying that the job won't kill me, but being too burnt out to work in tech anymore will. I have become dependent on having a high salary, which will make it hurt a LOT if/when I lose it. The job I have affects my mental health so much that I don't feel capable of looking for another job. Quitting without another job lined up would throw me into a depression/anxiety spiral and I would almost certainly kill myself then. My working relationship with my boss has been so strained that I am afraid to bring up the possibility of me switching to another team.

• Love
Reactions: Monique696
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
my job is close to being the best I ever had, it's the best paying and the best company I've ever worked for, but I am on call and hate it. I get burnt out every month and rarely do my assigned tasks because I am trying to manage my mental health. my manager is not very good at managing me and handling my neurodivergence. I beg for documentation / more things in writing and essentially get told "no" "write it yourself". My boss admitted that he commits to doing stuff then doesn't follow through. I need therapy, specifically someone who can help me learn to cope with full time employment with a dissociative disorder, and figure out what accommodations I need. And then I need to follow through with officially asking, in writing, to HR.

my job makes my suicidality worse. I keep saying that the job won't kill me, but being too burnt out to work in tech anymore will. I have become dependent on having a high salary, which will make it hurt a LOT if/when I lose it. The job I have affects my mental health so much that I don't feel capable of looking for another job. Quitting without another job lined up would throw me into a depression/anxiety spiral and I would almost certainly kill myself then. My working relationship with my boss has been so strained that I am afraid to bring up the possibility of me switching to another team.
What industry are you in? Just wondering if it's medical.

It sounds to me like you need a good job. To drag out that tired normie cliche, you work to live, not the other way around. This job is not serving you at all. I have to wonder about how awful your past jobs must have been for you to regard this one so highly.

Kind of odd to say this on SS, but no job is worth your life.

Reactions: western_heart and abyss
abyss

abyss

Jul 13, 2022
Not very much, looks like I am about to go into a job that will have much higher expectations and be much more stressful. I think it will make me a lot worse. I always seem to change jobs when I am very depressed which hasn't been a good idea.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Not very much, looks like I am about to go into a job that will have much higher expectations and be much more stressful. I think it will make me a lot worse. I always seem to change jobs when I am very depressed which hasn't been a good idea.
Damn, I'm the exact opposite. I become unhirable and suck at interviewing when depressed.

abyss

abyss

Jul 13, 2022
I don't think
Damn, I'm the exact opposite. I become unhirable and suck at interviewing when depressed.
I don't think my depression comes through well on video, I think interviewers would feel my negative aura and body language in person and so I am much more likely to be hired while everything is done online. Which is a good thing and a bad thing.

Reactions: Celerity
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Wow, they have a reputation for being very cushy jobs where I live. I feel like there are better jobs out there for the picking since you have experience. What keeps you in this one?

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
Wow, they have a reputation for being very cushy jobs where I live. I feel like there are better jobs out there for the picking since you have experience. What keeps you in this one?
A friend got me this job, applications with my background (six year gap in experience) would usually be filtered out. I am a diversity hire, only woman in the department. I am smart but mediocre. I don't handle stress well and this job has a lot of it. Outside of the on call shifts (one week a month) it's flexible and pays well enough and my boss likes me despite my emotional instability and inconsistent performance
Fear of changing jobs keeps me here.
I don't have any trendy skills, am not good at selling myself, have severe anxiety, and am afraid of discrimination. I can learn fast but only when directed to do so
my employer tolerates a lot from me, but the work itself isn't very good for my mental illness

I could use more drugs and push myself to find another job, but I don't think my brain and body can handle it, I am unpredictable when I don't have someone to hold my hand in stressful situations, so I endure the job I know.

• Aww..
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
lets see, my job not only allowed someone to harass me, but like every other bully/victim time in my life I GOT IN SHIT and while he was suppose to be in trouble too, he was still parading around like he owned the fucking place. why does the victim always get in shit, im getting fucking sick of this goddamn bullshit (literally not the first time me, the victim, had to apologize/got in trouble as well. ive also been repeatedly ignored as the victim, by school, cops, friends).
and now more recently they literally cut our pay in half as if there arent enough money problems and whatnot. this is literally the place that you have to get a second job to afford to work at this one (talk about fucking backwards).
so yeah, HATE it

• Hugs
Reactions: western_heart
Monique696

Monique696

Aug 31, 2021
Bonus questions:

As for me, my job isn't the worst or best I've had. Since I need a flexible position for school, this is probably where I will stay until that's completed. I really, really don't want to go in today though. Had some run-ins with both coworkers and management in this department recently. I wish I could just work in my main area.

Basically, it pays the bills. Really bad days push me into greater suicidality, but they are not overly common.
Hmm good question. I published some coloring books these past 9 months and since then I often buy author copies for a third of the costs and give them out as gifts to cute kids I meet at the store or outside. Really makes me happy to see them smile.
Luckily I get a pension so I don't have to worry about rent or food money. It's tight but absolutely fine and others have it way harder.
I have been writing on a kids book for a while and will publish it soon. So that's kinda "changing jobs" I guess. Or adding to the portfolio.
Taking life one day at a time trying to not let my disability screw me too much.
It really improved my suicidal plans and gave me perspective. Not to mention an ego boost to be able to introduce myself as an author and artist instead of unemployed and sick 😅
It really helps. And who knows maybe one day I will be able to truly understand deep down inside that I am doing well and that I am not a screw up.
Who knows

Reactions: Celerity and western_heart
Inkling

Inkling

Mar 10, 2021
How Much Do You Like Your Job?
I hate it, detest it, but it would be the same with any other job.
No, I don't think the type of work itself is the factor here, the people I meet during it do affect it though, or maybe the amount of people.
I do not have skills, hell I'm not even qualified for my current job.

Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
My last day will be Sept. 1. I'm hoping to go on "medical leave" as I know we have something like that, but am waiting for my manager to get back to me with the details. Hoping to not go broke in the interim, I plan to use the time to look for more meaningful work that better suits my current (dis)abilities, ie. not standing up for several hours and hopefully a wfh component.

Problem is I have a pretty good amount of general and transferable skills with some specialties in several fields, but I have minimal credentials and "marketable" type stuff. There's just too many other people out there who want to do the things I want/can/would be good at. I also feel guilty about the idea of starting with some small organization that might lose out if I have to take time off for any kind of reason. Ugh,

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity and western_heart
bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022
Bonus questions:

Shockingly, it has, but not in the way you think.
and no, i would not like a new job.

i'm a mortician and do autopsies. One time a corpse came in from a person who committed by jumping in front of a train, and although i was already considering suicide before that when i saw the corpse and how disfigured it's torso was i was impressed and thought the entire time about how beautiful a death by jumping in front of a train would be and how bewitching my disfigured corpse would look afterwards. Ever since that day it pushed me over the edge: i knew suicide was the only thing what my pathetic excuse for a life had left to do.

• Wow
Reactions: Celerity and Monique696
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Technically being alive is a job (its a chore for sure) so to answer the question, I fucking hate it.

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Shockingly, it has, but not in the way you think.
and no, i would not like a new job.

i'm a mortician and do autopsies. One time a corpse came in from a person who committed by jumping in front of a train, and although i was already considering suicide before that when i saw the corpse and how disfigured it's torso was i was impressed and thought the entire time about how beautiful a death by jumping in front of a train would be and how bewitching my disfigured corpse would look afterwards. Ever since that day it pushed me over the edge: i knew suicide was the only thing what my pathetic excuse for a life had left to do.
How did you decide you wanted to do the job? I'm training to be a pathologist assistant, so I won't be working with many (or any) whole bodies.

Reactions: bubo
bubo

bubo

Jul 14, 2022
How did you decide you wanted to do the job? I'm training to be a pathologist assistant, so I won't be working with many (or any) whole bodies.
I don't like interacting with humans much and i had always had an interest in biology as a kid. I figured if i got to work with corpses instead then i'd be spared from the annoying presence of people trying to make small talk with me at least a little bit. Other than that, i didn't have much of a reason other than i thought it would be fun. It's kinda odd to hear such a high maintenance job would be obtained by someone because they thought it would be "fun" but that was simply the reality of the situation, I apologize i don't have an entire backstory with a cool plot twist or anything of that sort to tell you. (I'd also like to make a quick note to say: i was incorrect, I realized my error of thinking the definition for "fun" meant enjoyment; amusement and not hard; difficult. So please do not have that same perception i had for a *very* short amount of time that working with corpses is going to be a "fun" job. Unless your sexually attracted to corpses it'll simply be a job at the end of the day, not especially fun or amusing in any way.)

Last edited:
S

Sinfulserenity

May 30, 2022
I got promoted during the pandemic, I'm making exponentially more than I was before. The amount of responsibility and outcomes I'm responsible are putting my anxiety through the roof 24/7. Severe imposter syndrome as well and I'm always exhausted, but then again, I always was before. I guess I have less time to think about suicide, but every fuck up makes me feel worthless and like everyone is watching me, so in one sense it's better but in another it's worse.