K

Ktenacious007

Student
Sep 10, 2019
I was living with my grandparents before moving out. I have 2 uncles, an aunt, and my grandma left for family. And my biological father I haven't spoken to since I moved out when I turned 18 in 2008. Hate him.
Would he still be considered my next of kin legally? Or would my grandmother? Would my dad who also hates me for picking my mom over him get to decide what happens to my body? I want my ashes buried with my dog when I die and don't want my dad deciding what happens to me. Don't really want to write a will because people will know I'm committing suicide

K

KibblesNBits

Student
May 30, 2020
I was living with my grandparents before moving out. I have 2 uncles, an aunt, and my grandma left for family. And my biological father I haven't spoken to since I moved out when I turned 18 in 2008. Hate him.
Would he still be considered my next of kin legally? Or would my grandmother? Would my dad who also hates me for picking my mom over him get to decide what happens to my body? I want my ashes buried with my dog when I die and don't want my dad deciding what happens to me. Don't really want to write a will because people will know I'm committing suicide

I'm curious about these things as well. I already mentioned that I'd like to be cremated after I die and that I wouldn't want a funeral as I'm not religious. But as for my personal effects, I'm sending a few key personal items I cherish to friends to care for and as far as my financial assets go (what few I have), all I can think of is to write a note. I can't stomach the idea of going through the legal system to deal with it, plus it would look suspicious anyway.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Your dad is your legal next of kin. However, he does not have to take that responsibility, and may not if he hates you, in which case it will pass to the next closest next of kin, probably your grandmother.

A will sets out your wishes, but when it comes to things like funerals, it's not legally binding, the next of kin can do what they want. It's more relevant when it comes to the distribution of your estate.

Reactions: Whisperinyourear
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
My guess would be your father would indeed be considered your next of kin: your dislike/estrangment of him will usually make no legal difference. However I can't say this with any degree of certainty as it depends on the applicable law in your country/state.

Even if you were to provide the necessary information and someone knowledgeable in that particular legal system would be able to answer your question I'd still double-check. At the very least do a google search and focus on government websites: you should be able to determine who is considered 'next of kin' which will give you the answer to your question.

I'd think writing a will detailing what you want to happen with your body after your death will probably be necessary. Often it's not even obligatory to go to a notary or someone-else with an official mandate and you can write one yourself. This usually will involve witnesses who'll have to sign the document. In that case you absolutely must make sure your self-written will is in accordance with the relevant law or it will be considered null and void.

Again you'll need to look up reliable information on that subject or (preferably) consult a legal professional.

Whisperinyourear

Whisperinyourear

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, I believe next of kin would mean your father. I once read a news article though a young person with a hefty amount of money, that instead of someone writing a will he did a video recording of his requests like where his estate goes to and how he wanted to be cremated etc and it was upheld as the same as a written will, but a relative argued there was no witness so how could they know the video recording was legit and not coerced.