J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
Another issue I had as a teen was thinking I was Hebrew. I didn't know where my identity came from so I was searching without the internet at the time. I thought I was Hebrew, it took me a long time to finally look to south Saharan African and see I was from west and central west African descent and proud too. The sad part is we are taught to hate our hair, we have to straighten it, I was bullied by black Boys for my skin condition and others. I also hung around my bullies because I feared rejection so deeply. I don't know what my problem was, fear loneliness and lack of resources and education. I feel like if I had access to the internet early on I would have figured out my identity and the importance of looks. These teens today have so much easier. My family was poor, dysfunctional and lacked health resources

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Opichi, BruhXDDDDD, come to dust and 11 others
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Another issue I had as a teen was thinking I was Hebrew. I didn't know where my identity came from so I was searching without the internet at the time. I thought I was Hebrew, it took me a long time to finally look to south Saharan African and see I was from west and central west African descent and proud too. The sad part is we are taught to hate our hair, we have to straighten it, I was bullied by black Boys for my skin condition and others. I also hung around my bullies because I feared rejection so deeply. I don't know what my problem was, fear loneliness and lack of resources and education. I feel like if I had access to the internet early on I would have figured out my identity and the importance of looks. These teens today have so much easier. My family was poor, dysfunctional and lacked health resources
Absolutely but things are changing! Black is beautiful!

• Hugs
Reactions: nightnightnitrite and TrynaChingMyself
indica

indica

🌿
May 27, 2022
i am native american. i was taught to hate my appearance too. i've had many identity crises.
where i lived, there were only bullies. my mother and i were the sole people of color in our town. i grew up in a ku klux klan neighborhood.
my family was also poor and dysfunctional. i struggled with so much fear and loneliness. i lacked resources and education.
i was thirteen the first year i went to school. before that, i was never allowed to attend.
i'm glad when children now have it easier than i did. that's what i'd hope. i want society to evolve. i certainly don't want it to get worse.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Opichi, GentleJerk, 9BBN and 6 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Disliking afro hair isn't cultural/racist at all, it just looks worse. I have thick hair that resembles afro and during the time I ironed my hair I looked way better and had girls even catcall me two times. There's something about a lighter, shiny hair, not too curly and not too thick, that makes your facial characteristics improve in some way.

• Hmph!
  • Yay!
Reactions: nootthenoot, allesistgut, Un- and 3 others
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
Disliking afro hair isn't cultural/racist at all, it just looks worse.
Looks worse to who? To people who aren't attracted to darker skin and African features? Then yes, but to everyone else that's not the case.
I have thick hair that resembles afro and during the time I ironed my hair I looked way better and had girls even catcall me two times. There's something about a lighter, shiny hair, not too curly and not too thick, that makes your facial characteristics improve in some way.
I think this depends on your face. I have family members with fros and they get more atteny than some photogenic white guys.

Also, black hairstyles make anybody look good. From K-pop to white Cali Instagramers, they all adopt braids and cornrows.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, dtjb, Foresight and 2 others
again_noidea

again_noidea

Experienced
Apr 22, 2021
and now it is changing in the other direction. lots of white boys try to emulate black starts. the sad thing is, that the current popular black culture is produced only to funnel money in some higher up pockets. Divide and conquer, that has been the rule for a long time now, and it doesn't matter on what ground the division is achieved. People who are divided will suffer in one way or another.

Reactions: Shu and Un-
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
I think this depends on your face. I have family members with fros and they get more atteny than some photogenic white guys.

Also, black hairstyles make anybody look good. From K-pop to white Cali Instagramers, they all adopt braids and cornrows.
Braids and cornrows aren't afro, though, are they?

Hair that's thick and lacks shine is less attractive in all instances than lighter/slimmer hair that shines. This is why so many African American women straighten their hair or use wigs.

Your argument of 'depends on the person' is valid IMO but for curly hair. Some people look way better with curly hair than straight. But I'm talking specifically of thick hair that grows in a ball shape lol I have that. It looks awful which is why people have resorted to braids, cornrows, rastas, etc. But someone with a lighter hair can just let it grow and it will look attractive.

• Hmph!
Reactions: allesistgut and CTBgenuine
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
People sometimes resort to braids, cornrows, afros because they're easier to maintain, not because afros look ugly.

And African American women often style their hair because society and history has taught them to hate their natural hair for hundreds of years. Kinda like OP was saying. It's only been about 50 years of positive representation of afro hairstyles. That's not very long.

• Love
Reactions: noaccount, nootthenoot, Journeytoletgo and 4 others
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Braids and cornrows aren't afro, though, are they?

Hair that's thick and lacks shine is less attractive in all instances than lighter/slimmer hair that shines. This is why so many African American women straighten their hair or use wigs.

Your argument of 'depends on the person' is valid IMO but for curly hair. Some people look way better with curly hair than straight. But I'm talking specifically of thick hair that grows in a ball shape lol I have that. It looks awful which is why people have resorted to braids, cornrows, rastas, etc. But someone with a lighter hair can just let it grow and it will look attractive.
You're sus! I literally thought your race baiting remarks were jokes but now I'm not to sure.... Afro hair is beautiful and strong and grows up towards the sun. I completely disagree that eurocentric features are more attractive, who TF would say such a thing? Toxic!
People sometimes resort to braids, cornrows, afros because they're easier to maintain, not because afros look ugly.

And African American women often style their hair because society and history has taught them to hate their natural hair for hundreds of years. Kinda like OP was saying. It's only been about 50 years of positive representation of afro hairstyles. That's not very long.
THIS!

• Love
Reactions: noaccount and 𖣴 nadia 𖣴
deleted

deleted

Wizard
Jul 31, 2020
I'm mixed race but I feel something similar, it was at school that I learned that girls would always prefer someone white, blonde, if I had a choice I would definitely be blonde or red, I try to look in the mirror and see some beauty or feel some pride and I do not feel anything

U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
My racist jokes are jokes but sometimes also literally racist. Like Etika said life is confusing sometimes, dog.
Are you one of those white dudes that thinks you've got afro texture but it actually looks like pubes? That's probably why your natural hair looks like trash, ironically, you're probably a dickhead.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: noaccount, nootthenoot, Natty and 2 others
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Are you one of those white dudes that thinks you've got afro texture but it actually looks like pubes? That's probably why your natural hair looks like trash, ironically, you're probably a dickhead.
😂🤣
He's said he's maturbates constantly, watches gore, doesn't work, doesn't have a GF, is racist, has an afro and is addicted to this website. He gives big loser energy! 💯💯
i am native american. i was taught to hate my appearance too. i've had many identity crises.
where i lived, there were only bullies. my mother and i were the sole people of color in our town. i grew up in a ku klux klan neighborhood.
my family was also poor and dysfunctional. i struggled with so much fear and loneliness. i lacked resources and education.
i was thirteen the first year i went to school. before that, i was never allowed to attend.
i'm glad when children now have it easier than i did. that's what i'd hope. i want society to evolve. i certainly don't want it to get worse.
Native Americans have such a rich culture and natural nobility! Hold onto your culture and hold your head high

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: nootthenoot, Journeytoletgo, Natty and 2 others
J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
No! I'm Indian, Welsh and Irish but I experience racism, I was raised in a gospel church and alot of my friends are black. I'm very much an allie!
Oh okay you're native Americans descent or south Asian Indian?

Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Disliking afro hair isn't cultural/racist at all, it just looks worse. I have thick hair that resembles afro and during the time I ironed my hair I looked way better and had girls even catcall me two times. There's something about a lighter, shiny hair, not too curly and not too thick, that makes your facial characteristics improve in some way.
The only other group with Afro hair are Jews. Are you Jewish?

whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
The only other group with Afro hair are Jews. Are you Jewish?
I'm southern Spaniard which probably means semitic to an extent for some people.

Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
You're sus! I literally thought your race baiting remarks were jokes but now I'm not to sure.... Afro hair is beautiful and strong and grows up towards the sun. I completely disagree that eurocentric features are more attractive, who TF would say such a thing? Toxic!

THIS!
Grows up towards the sun? What? Lol
Is having hair with a plant-like quality supposed to be inherently good? I see it as neutral.
I'm southern Spaniard which probably means semitic to an extent for some people.
Moor?

CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Oh okay you're native Americans descent or south Asian Indian?
South Asian. Specifically Bengal. I sympathise with the Black, Native and Aborigine communities because the British invaded my people, stole our riches, food, culture and exploited our people. Then left during ww2 with our resources (which they gave to the British) and it triggered a famine where millions died.
My father was Bengal but looked black and people often thought he was. Very dark skin, a flat nose and curly hair.
The British also left their legacy of self hatred on my people, which is why skin bleaching is so popular in South Asian communities.
Grows up towards the sun? What? Lol
Is having hair with a plant-like quality supposed to be inherently good? I see it as neutral.

Moor?
African hair is the strongest hair in the world! Have you tried braiding European hair? It'll fall out! African hair can be straightened, coiled, twisted, braided, locked and left natural. The most versatile hair in the world!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: noaccount, Journeytoletgo, user_name_here and 1 other person
S

Slimetae

Slimeent🎲
Apr 23, 2022
Damn I'm black never seen other black dudes do that in school tho sorry you had to go through that .

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: waitingforrest
U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
I'm southern Spaniard
Well would you look at that. So you've got that slightly tanned skin? You do realise if you attended a Nazi rally they'd probably kick your ass right? But hey, "lEaSt I'm nOt bLaCk"

Reactions: noaccount
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Well would you look at that. So you've got that slightly tanned skin? You do realise if you attended a Nazi rally they'd probably kick your ass right? But hey, "lEaSt I'm nOt bLaCk"
I don't know why you think I'm like that. I grew out of the racial superiority phase years ago. All races are superior in some domain and inferior in other. They adapted to different environments. If I was black I would take pride in my ancestors.

It just so happens that to the dismay of people like you we are still living in the civilization imposed globally by one particular race: Europeans/whites.

CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Can you explain in what way things are changing?
Historically, black people were undervalued, unprotected and overlooked. Now, society is looking at itself and realising that black lives DO MATTER! There's been a positive step towards inclusivity and yes of course, it's slow and alot more needs to be done but even white girls wanna look black now, because black is beautiful and has always been beautiful. The self hatred forced up the black community will slowly turn to self love in due course.

J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
Historically, black people were undervalued, unprotected and overlooked. Now, society is looking at itself and realising that black lives DO MATTER! There's been a positive step towards inclusivity and yes of course, it's slow and alot more needs to be done but even white girls wanna look black now, because black is beautiful and has always been beautiful. The self hatred forced up the black community will slowly turn to self love in due course.
How is white people wanting to look black have anything to do with self love in the black American community? They hate themselves there is colorism, abuse, bullying, no culture, obesity, and alcohol, gun violence, weaves

• Love
Reactions: noaccount and whatevs
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
How is white people wanting to look black have anything to do with self love in the black American community? They hate themselves there is colorism, abuse, bullying, no culture, obesity, and alcohol, gun violence, weaves
Would they copy you if they didn't think black was beautiful? Everything you mentioned is because of years of oppression.
Here is a youtuber who will answer any questions you have, she has many videos. She'll have everything you need to know

CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Hopefully her videos will help you understand why you hate yourself. I'm not the oracle, I don't have all the answers, especially reg such a complex topic.

J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
Hopefully her videos will help you understand why you hate yourself. I'm not the oracle, I don't have all the answers, especially reg such a complex topic.
I don't hate myself I hate my skin condition and my bullies and sexual abusers and not being aware of this cruel world

• Love
Reactions: noaccount, Fragile and whatevs
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
I don't hate myself I hate my skin condition and my bullies and sexual abusers and not being aware of this cruel world
No, you hate yourself. You just attacked your own community for gun violence, poverty, weaves etc
What skin condition do you have? If it bothers you that much why don't you fix it? A dermatologist can help

Last edited:
J

Journeytoletgo

May 14, 2018
No, you hate yourself. You just attacked your own community for gun violence, poverty, weaves etc

What skin condition do you have? If it bothers you that much why don't you fix it? A dermatologist can help
Hun I tried to fix my skin condition but I didn't have the resources or knowledge at the time. I was dealing with a lot. How is that self hate? That is a toxic society and dysfunctional