Meimi18

Meimi18

I/Me/Myself
Nov 1, 2023
Exactly as the title says.
My friend had it pretty rough back when we weren't as close, I didn't know or try to get closer because I felt like it wasn't my place. Now I'm in that position, and they're reaching out to help me, but I don't feel like I can take it because I wasn't there back when they might have needed it.
I'm taking the help anyways, but I'm not sure what to do with the guilt

get.some.sleep

get.some.sleep

I hope I don't feel like this forever
Nov 17, 2023
You could just address the fact that you weren't there for them and you're sorry for that. Just let them know that you really appreciate them being there and wish you had done the same for them. Also, say that if they ever need anything in the future that you'll be there for them. If they're already helping you, they obviously care about you but getting this off your chest may help clear the air or at least relieve you of the guilt you're feeling.

• Love
Reactions: Meimi18, Dangerdonkey333 and Anonymoususer1234
N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
Many people get a lot out of helping others, so accepting their offer may benefit your friend by them feeling they can pass on what they've learned from their struggles. It isn't an entirely one-sided transaction.

In terms on what to do with the guilt, what would you do if it was the other way round? Presumably you'd forgive them. If that's the case, then consider forgiving yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Meimi18 and Dangerdonkey333