Plankter

Plankter

欠陥人
Aug 14, 2018
This is the Ultra Deep Field image taken by the Hubble telescope:
heic0611b.jpg

You may have seen it before, it's a popular image. Unless you have, let me introduce you to my favorite picture ever.
Everything you see in the picture besides the 3 or 4 bright spots (which are stars) are galaxies (there are about 10000). The Hubble telescope gathered data for a total of 11.3 days to compose this stunning shot of our universe. It is thought that the oldest galaxies in the picture could be 13 billion years old. That's a distance of ~1.2*10^26 kilometers (13 billion light years)! And all this chaotic beauty is only 3.4 arc-minutes (~0.05 degrees) wide diagonally! Sometimes when I feel down, I zoom in and just gaze at the galaxies and remember how insignificant my existence is. I feel overwhelmed by the scale of the universe yet also unwound to realize that no matter how much we try, we will never know everything, we won't even see everything, in fact we won't even know how much of "everything" is left to see. That reminds me that in the grand scheme of things, nothing really matters...

Then literally anything slightly inconvenient happens and I want to cry myself to sleep forever

(sources: spacetelescope.org, Wikipedia (I'm really not an academic person or anything, so I comfortably cite Wikipedia))
(spacetelesope page: https://www.spacetelescope.org/images/heic0611b/)
(you should download it in full resolution if you want to take a closer look)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Twntysix, justamortal, deleted and 37 others
C

CJM

Experienced
Jul 13, 2018
That is an incredible picture and really nails down how puny we all are in the grand scheme of things....unless you believe otherwise of course.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, Death is beautiful, brighter and 3 others
TheCrow

TheCrow

Invisible Spirit
Sep 26, 2018
I LOVE stuff like this! Thank you for sharing.

• Love
Reactions: justamortal, patheticpartner, brighter and 4 others
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
I used to marvel at the universe as well until I realized it's something I'll never experience or be a part of albeit very tiny. All that infinite space and all we got to rationalize the vast emptiness is trying to convince ourselves that we're the universe experiencing itself. The glamour of it all just fades after while atleast with me. Plus think about all the life that has lived and will be in the future, so much needless suffering and for no reason at all other than being a random fractal simulation or something. That constant and lingering 'why any of this' still continues to baffle me.

• Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, brighter and 4 others
21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
It's a beautiful picture!! There's no way we're the only walking and talking people in there.

• Love
Reactions: Scribble Fan, patheticpartner, brighter and 1 other person
Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018
I've seen it a few times long ago .. this image is really awe-inspiring. Every time i see it i ponder for a bit.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, brighter and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Also just another thought think about how most of that everything is literally stuck in the past and because of that we are not seeing those stars and galaxies as they are 'now' but as they were in the past. It all feels fake like a mirage tricking us. Like is any of that real or was real? Is it all fake? Makes me uncomfortable knowing that even the universe is manipulating us and hiding its secrets forever.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, brighter and 3 others
A

Armadillo

Experienced
Oct 24, 2018
I shit you not, this stuff really helps me with depression and anxiety.
Sometimes it really calms me down instantly and reminds me to not take life too seriously, at times I just started laughing 'cause I realized how silly I was to worry so much about things.

I don't remember the exact quote, but Alan Watts once said

"No amount of anxiety has ever made things better"

It may not always be true but that's the story of my life.
90% of the anxiety I've ever felt was totally useless/counterproductive.

• Love
Reactions: Death is beautiful, patheticpartner, brighter and 3 others
Peaceisnear

Peaceisnear

Love it when I die slow
Oct 7, 2021
So pretty ❤

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner and Death is beautiful
MeltedJello

MeltedJello

My brain is a liquid mess.
Aug 18, 2021
Cool picture :heart:

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner and Death is beautiful
Death is beautiful

Death is beautiful

Warlock
May 20, 2021
we are just insects on this tiny planet, and our whole life with all its worries is complete nonsense. I hope that after death we will simply sink into oblivion and everything will lose its meaning.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner