• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
I'm doing decently enough today, at least I'm not as suicidal as I was a few days ago. On days like this I try to remind myself of one of my main goals. I'm currently a med student and I want to become a psychiatrist when I graduate. I know many here have been harmed instead of healed by modern psychiatry and I was as well, which is exactly why I want to become one. I want to be different, I want to make a change. Even if I can't change the whole system, I can still be one of the few who actually gives a shit about their patients well being instead of just making sure they have a pulse even if I turn them into zombies by doing so. As someone who has suffered through ECT and countless medications, I don't want anyone else to go through any of that. Even if I save one life, I think it'd be worth it.

Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
The fact that you have a dream is good to hear. Mental health professionals often cause more harm than help so it's nice to know there is someone out there who wants to be a good one. I wish you luck on your ambitions.

• Love
Reactions: Square251
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
i've had many terrible psychiatrists. But also a few really great ones, and they honestly saved my life. I think that's an excellent goal <3

• Love
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
How would you be able to prevent any of that? All that shrinks do is experiment and see what happens.

Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
How would you be able to prevent any of that? All that shrinks do is experiment and see what happens.

By not being like most of them, by actually treating my patients as human beings and not walking wallets, by prioritizing my patients well being instead of just giving myself a pat on the back because they have a pulse and not care about anything else, by actually using good methods instead of the bullshit modern psychiatrists do. Like I said, maybe I won't be able to change the whole system, but any major change starts with a few people wanting to make it and it just snowballs from there.

Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
"Good methods"? What would those be?
It'll depend on the patient. Actually flexibility in treatment plans instead of just doing the same cookie cutter shit everyone does. Different combinations of therapy and some antidepressants that don't just make you numb. Some actually make you a lot mode active.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
It'll depend on the patient. Actually flexibility in treatment plans instead of just doing the same cookie cutter shit everyone does. Different combinations of therapy and some antidepressants that don't just make you numb. Some actually make you a lot mode active.
Good luck

• Love
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
the psychiatrists I had that were good and helped me gave me options. I was there of my own choice looking for help. The first one, I was really scared of trying psych meds, I was against it bc of things other ppl said about it (ppl who had never taken psych meds). She wasn't forceful at all, she was going to respect my boundaries, but she still gave me information that made me feel comfortable trying something I was against.

She told me about studies in which primates who lacked physical comfort as babies had a different chemical makeup in their brains than their peers when they grew up. She basically let me know that it was ok to try medication, and it made sense that I was depressed and needed extra help. And she let me know to stop taking the medication if I felt any bad side effects. I eventually went off them bc I didn't like the side effects and I realized it was the birth control that was making me more depressed than ever, so I went off of that instead.

The other one who helped me a lot just educated me about the different medications that were available to me. He told me about several types, their pros and cons, and asked me which ones I wanted to try. He said the same thing, if I had any problems with the meds to stop taking them and call him. This was the one who helped me find the right medication for me. I came back to him several times trying to find the right meds. Every time I didn't like the side effects of one, he gave me a new list of meds with pros and cons. He just trusted me that I knew my body and my experience and was actually surprised I kept coming back bc he said most ppl gave up after so many wrong fits lol. But we eventually found the right fit and it kept me from wanting to ctb for 10 years.

there's a difference between experimenting on someone and assisting ppl who come to you seeking a specific type of help. It's a matter of consent. And all medications, psychological or otherwise, are somewhat of a gamble in that everyone's bodies are unique and react to different medications differently. You just have to try something and see how your body reacts. My body reacts horribly to things like advil and tylenol. Doesn't mean anyone was "experimenting" on me by suggesting I try them for a headache or whatever.

anyways OP, you got this <3
and sometimes things come up in life and you need to take a pause on academics or your goals change (that happened to me). It's ok to pause or change your goals if they no longer work for you. I'm proud of you no matter what happens

Last edited:
Square251

Square251

Mar 19, 2023
the psychiatrists I had that were good and helped me gave me options. I was there of my own choice looking for help. The first one, I was really scared of trying psych meds, I was against it bc of things other ppl said about it (ppl who had never taken psych meds). She wasn't forceful at all, she was going to respect my boundaries, but she still gave me information that made me feel comfortable trying something I was against.

She told me about studies in which primates who lacked physical comfort as babies had a different chemical makeup in their brains than their peers when they grew up. She basically let me know that it was ok to try medication, and it made sense that I was depressed and needed extra help. And she let me know to stop taking the medication if I felt any bad side effects. I eventually went off them bc I didn't like the side effects and I realized it was the birth control that was making me more depressed than ever, so I went off of that instead.

The other one who helped me a lot just educated me about the different medications that were available to me. He told me about several types, their pros and cons, and asked me which ones I wanted to try. He said the same thing, if I had any problems with the meds to stop taking them and call him. This was the one who helped me find the right medication for me. I came back to him several times trying to find the right meds. Every time I didn't like the side effects of one, he gave me a new list of meds with pros and cons. He just trusted me that I knew my body and my experience and was actually surprised I kept coming back bc he said most ppl gave up after so many wrong fits lol. But we eventually found the right fit and it kept me from wanting to ctb for 10 years.

there's a difference between experimented on someone and assisting ppl who come to you seeking a specific type of help. It's a matter of consent. And all medications, psychological or otherwise, are somewhat of a gamble in that everyone's bodies are unique and react to different medications differently. You just have to try something and see how your body reacts. My body reacts horribly to things like advil and tylenol. Doesn't mean anyone was "experimenting" on me by suggesting I try them for a headache or whatever.

anyways OP, you got this <3
and sometimes things come up in life and you need to take a pause on academics or your goals change (that happened to me). It's ok to pause or change your goals if they no longer work for you. I'm proud of you no matter what happens
Yes exactly. Thank you for the support, I appreciate it!

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas