Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
That's... actually fine. And you can never, ever leech as much away from other people as any given landlord does. Like you as an individual living passively by subsistence is fine and not hurting anyone. You're not stealing, like, the majority of profit-value that anyone's labor produces... you know, the way every single "employer" does to their employees.

It's important not to have a work ethic because there's nothing ethical about work.
I mean it's mainly because I'm lazy and have no work ethic that I'm not something like a landlord or a CEO or even a middle manager or whatever (also luck). Either way, if I was any of those things, the added responsibility wouldn't make me change. I'd still be just as bad as the existing ones if not worse. My major was even in management.

Reactions: Isisnefert
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Right but I mean there are situations where you could stay home and play video games and not work... without being one of those things. And it's fine.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Right but I mean there are situations where you could stay home and play video games and not work... without being one of those things. And it's fine.
Not for long especially if I don't have any money from not working. You might think it's fine but I'd say society at large wouldn't agree and even if they did I guarantee I'll still be a waste of money, oxygen, and other resources.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
At least you get paid to be a slave these days...

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Not for long especially if I don't have any money from not working. You might think it's fine but I'd say society at large wouldn't agree and even if they did I guarantee I'll still be a waste of money, oxygen, and other resources.
I see what you mean, I think... I'm a bit confused though. Are you saying you have a negative judgement of yourself when you do it, but not a negative judgement of people's bosses doing it?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I see what you mean, I think... I'm a bit confused though. Are you saying you have a negative judgement of yourself when you do it, but not a negative judgement of people's bosses doing it?
Yeah, it doesn't make too much sense but to me it's just way easier for me to give other people more slack and not look at other people as evil even when they obviously are because I'm aware I'd definitely be worse in their shoes.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
At least you get paid to be a slave these days...
I didn't mean to invalidate, I understand how you feel OP. Most jobs are menial and soul-crushing, sometimes pointless but created just so people can 'earn their keep' and have food and a roof of their head. It's ridiculous.

What I meant was, despite what everyone thinks we are still living in a primitive slave-driving society but it doesn't seem like it because people get paid now to be slaves.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo and redd1993
SofterSoftest

SofterSoftest

Student
Dec 30, 2021
Yeah, work is definitely in my top 3 reasons for wanting to CTB. I am trapped in a job that has me working (on average) 70-80 hours a week. The work also involves interacting with people constantly and putting their needs first (which is totally okay and understandable as long as I get some time to myself). If I were wealthy enough to not work, I probably could devote so much more time to my mental health and I would potentially even be open to residential treatment (I think I need it). Unfortunately, I am the sole earner for a few people in my life, so as long as I'm living, I don't really have any choice but to work - I live in a really expensive part of the world and there literally is no other job that would allow me to avoid poverty. I'm just so tired. So, so tired.

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and ncmxm
bloodfallsfirst

bloodfallsfirst

Nov 2, 2021
I feel the same way. I can't stand the idea of eternal monotony, working every weekday, all till I'm too old to be productive anymore. Even though I have the privilege of enjoying my job, I hate the obligation to it and want to end my suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo and ncmxm
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I can relate. There's a lot of very basic things about life that I just don't want to deal with. Working, studying, driving, responsibility of any kind, existing in public spaces, etc. I just don't want to be a part of this society, really. I can't exist comfortably within it.

And I relate to the shame that this kind of existence produces as well. For the longest time I didn't really feel shame, or not very strongly, but it's been catching up with me lately. All my other sources of self-worth are failing me, so I'm more vulnerable to it nowadays I guess.

I do work, but it's a shitty minimum wage job, and I think about quitting all the time. But quitting would mean that I'd eventually need to find a new one. Which is an even more horrifying thought than just simply showing up at the current place for another day.
What happened to this poster? I like what he or she wrote.