• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I mean he could call it "I saved 100 people from committing suicide". Of course not everyone in this forum wants to die because of financials but personally it would increase my likelihood to avoid suicide.

As many recognized this is of course a cynical remark. In the news you can read a lot about his video where he gave 1000 blind people money for an operation to be cured. Some people celebrate him for that as a demi-god. Others kind of demonize him but I don't agree with that either.
This example with suicide forum members perfectly captures a problem of this attempt to improve societal grievances. Well no ad company would want to be associated with the topic suicide. So he would not find any sponsors to finance the video.

It shows a deeper lying issue. There are the mega rich who want to present themselves as altruistic and as philanthropists. They don't really give a shit about poor people. They just have the money and power to frame themselves in a positive way. They suck themselves off for it and portray themselves as saints. There is this one Drake music video I hate so fucking much God's plan. Just when I think about it my disgust increases a lot.

There are billionaires who spend a little percent of their money for charity. And they get celebrated for it. I think in the US this is even a good plan to dodge taxes. They give handouts/pittances to poor people and don't lose much. Their popularity increases. The videos become viral. The supporter count increases. The image improves and the revenue increases. The system is so fucking perverted. I don't live in the US but compared to my country distributing money happens more often on a voluntary basis. This is at least what I read. In Germany the state distributes the money with higher taxes. In the US charity is more common but often only on a voluntary basis. Combined with the tactic to dodge taces this is pretty sick.

However I don't know the details of the US tax system. This plan to dodge taxes in this manner seems to be way easier if you are already rich and can hire legal experts who know the loopholes.

For me it is perverted. This charity is only good on the surface. Sorry it is a little bit political. In the US the inequality is pretty high and the health care system sucks. It is a shame that people have to wait for winning the lottery that a rich content creator wants to exploit them for clicks and good PR in order to get that operation. It should be a human right and not dependent of the good will of a fucking Youtuber/celebrity.

I think now it is too late to beg MrBeast to save my life after that thread. However as I said the topic suicide is not good enough for companies to sponsor it anyway.

Maybe I am too negative with this attitude towards him. I almost never watched him and my first impression of him is he is fake. I could be wrong about his character. But I am still convinced that the system is flawed and that there have to be deep rooted reforms. This charity cures some symptoms of an ill society so that the system does not collapse but we need real change. Not this superficial marketing trick.

What is your take on it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1337
L

lionetta12

Just a random person
Aug 5, 2022
I mean he could call it "I saved 100 people from committing suicide". Of course not everyone in this forum wants to die because of financials but personally it would increase my likelihood to avoid suicide.

As many recognized this is of course a cynical remark. In the news you can read a lot about his video where he gave 1000 blind people money for an operation to be cured. Some people celebrate him for that as a demi-god. Others kind of demonize him but I don't agree with that either.
This example with suicide forum members perfectly captures a problem of this attempt to improve societal grievances. Well no ad company would want to be associated with the topic suicide. So he would not find any sponsors to finance the video.

It shows a deeper lying issue. There are the mega rich who want to present themselves as altruistic and as philanthropists. They don't really give a shit about poor people. They just have the money and power to frame themselves in a positive way. They suck themselves off for it and portray themselves as saints. There is this one Drake music video I hate so fucking much God's plan. Just when I think about it my disgust increases a lot.

There are billionaires who spend a little percent of their money for charity. And they get celebrated for it. I think in the US this is even a good plan to dodge taxes. They give handouts/pittances to poor people and don't lose much. Their popularity increases. The videos become viral. The supporter count increasec. The image improves and the revenue increases. The system is so fucking perverted. I don't live in the US but compared to my country distributing money happens more often on a voluntary basis. This is at least what I read. In Germany the state distributes the money with higher taxes. In the US charity is more common but often only on a voluntary basis. Combined with the tactic to dodge taces this is pretty sick.

However I don't know the details of the US tax system. This plan to dodge taxes in this manner seems to be way easier if you are already rich and can hire legal experts who know the loopholes.

For me it is perverted. This charity is only good on the surface. Sorry it is a little bit political. In the US the inequality is pretty high and the health care system sucks. It is a shame that people have to wait for winning the lottery that a rich content creator wants to exploit them for clicks and good PR in order to get that operation. It should be a human right and not dependend of the good will of a fucking Youtuber/celebrtiy.

I think now it is too late to beg MrBeast to save my life after that thread. However as I said the topic suicide is not good enough for companies to sponsor it anyway.

Maybe I am too negative with this attitude towards him. I almost never watched him and my first impression of him is he is fake. I could be wrong about his character. But I am still convinced that the system is flawed and that there have to be deep rooted reforms. This charity cures some symptoms of an ill society so that the system does not collapse but we need real change. Not this superficial marketing trick.

What is your take on it?
Can't wait for that video to drop.

Infinite Conscious

Infinite Conscious

Experienced
Aug 18, 2020
If you take all the money in the world... and distribute it evenly on 8 billion people.

In 50 years, all the money would be with the same people it is today.
Maybe not ALL of it, as they had thousands of years to accumulate all the wealth, but - a good portion of it would be in a similar pyramid-like structure.

People don't know how to handle money.
Give 100 of us here a thousand dollars, we will only die sooner.
If you gave us a million $ each, maybe we would live a few good years, and 95% of us would be bankrupt in 10 years (even less).

I mean, I get your point - the wealth distribution is criminal.
But there is a good reason for that.
Are you a communist? I am.
But that story hasn't worked either.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
If you take all the money in the world... and distribute it evenly on 8 billion people.

In 50 years, all the money would be with the same people it is today.
Maybe not ALL of it, as they had thousands of years to accumulate all the wealth, but - a good portion of it would be in a similar pyramid-like structure.

People don't know how to handle money.
Give 100 of us here a thousand dollars, we will only die sooner.
If you gave us a million $ each, maybe we would live a few good years, and 95% of us would be bankrupt in 10 years (even less).

I mean, I get your point - the wealth distribution is criminal.
But there is a good reason for that.
Are you a communist? I am.
But that story hasn't worked either.
No I am not a communist. I would prefer Scandinavian countries and their model though.

Dot

Dot

Globl mod - Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021

There are billionaires who spend a little percent of their money for charity. And they get celebrated for it. I think in the US this is even a good plan to dodge taxes. They give handouts/pittances to poor people and don't lose much. Their popularity increases. The videos become viral. The supporter count increasec. The image improves and the revenue increases. The system is so fucking perverted. I don't live in the US but compared to my country distributing money happens more often on a voluntary basis. This is at least what I read. In Germany the state distributes the money with higher taxes. In the US charity is more common but often only on a voluntary basis. Combined with the tactic to dodge taces this is pretty sick.

For me it is perverted. This charity is only good on the surface. Sorry it is a little bit political. In the US the inequality is pretty high and the health care system sucks. It is a shame that people have to wait for winning the lottery that a rich content creator wants to exploit them for clicks and good PR in order to get that operation. It should be a human right and not dependend of the good will of a fucking Youtuber/celebrtiy.

What is your take on it?

Slf agree wth ur assessmnt of th/ systms ovr-all

Bt d/ thnk tht whle MrBst = a cntent cre8tr h/ = nt as bd as mny othrs out thre

H/ hs a channl calld Bst Philnthrpy whch all $$$ raisd = dedc8td 2 feedng 1000s of ppl reglrly in hs st8

H/ also frontd tree-plantng & ocean cleanng initi8tves raisng 10s of millns $$ fr ech

S/ c-ing hs vdeo abt helpng ppl wth thr surgry & highlghtng th/ brriers tht ppl hve 2 gttng it ws nt surprsng 2 C tbh

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Slf agree wth ur assessmnt of th/ systms ovr-all

Bt d/ thnk tht whle MrBst = a cntent cre8tr h/ = nt as bd as mny othrs out thre

H/ hs a channl calld Bst Philnthrpy whch all $$$ raisd = dedc8td 2 feedng 1000s of ppl reglrly in hs st8

H/ also frontd tree-plantng & ocean cleanng initi8tves raisng 10s of millns $$ fr ech

S/ c-ing hs vdeo abt helpng ppl wth thr surgry & highlghtng th/ brriers tht ppl hve 2 gttng it ws nt surprsng 2 C tbh
Yes I don't have in-depth knowledge on MrBeast as a person. My first impression could be biased. He could also convince me of the opposite.

MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
Me! Me! I volunteer as one of the hundred.

• Yay!
Reactions: Rocinante
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
If I'm really honest- yes- I'd love a load of money right now- it would make it easier to hang on. I think that's because I don't actually want to contribute to society anymore though- in the way of a wage slave job. It would allow me to fail more comfortably at a creative 'career' but in all honesty- my drive has been dampered there also.

I don't particularly want to live as a parasite though. (I think we're all living as parasites to a degree-we all likely buy products that exploit other people and the environment.) It would be different if I happened to win the money but to be given it by someone living-I feel like that ought to be an investment- to try and better my situation- and I'm not sure I even want to do that now.

I agree with investing in people who have the talent or work hard but don't necessarily have the financial backing to get started. (Scholarships.) For people who will just spend the money on quick fixes though- that doesn't seem right really. I have this awful feeling that I'm slipping into that way of being. 😬

I suppose what I'd REALLY like would be for our societies at large to either permit us a peaceful exit (in assisted suicide) or- subsidize us- if they insist we have to keep on living against our wills. Lol. Basically a bribe to keep living! That shouldn't come from an individual though- it should come from the people that make the rules.

As it is- in this country- we have recently seen celebrities paying the heating bills for struggling families! That really OUGHT to make our governments ashamed. They shouldn't be allowing these energy companies to charge what they do. Honestly- the world just sickens me- wasn't the former CEO of Boeing at least OFFERED a multi million dollar bonus despite the two disasters with the 747 Max? Ok- he didn't design it but I simply can't believe that people high up in the company didn't realise the risks.

Like other people have said- I'd much rather people were paid more fairly in this world. SOME people get paid too much for what they do and others- not nearly enough. It's not to no longer recognize talent and hard work and to reward it- it's just to be sensible about it.

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Money wouldn't solve my problem, BUT I'd be inclined to try to hang on for a little bit longer if I had a very substantial amount of money. Unfortunately, this experiment wouldn't achieve the desired result with me because I would still end up CTBing anyways. Maybe not this year, but definitely in 2024.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
How many problems for someone could a lousy $1000 solve in today's world?

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe I was a little bit mean to MrBeast I don't know that much of him. However there are some aspects that made me angry. For example the thumbnails and the titles/clickbait of his videos. It is so sensationalistic like in the yellow press. I mean the most horrible newspapers in my country also celebrate themselves for helping other people.

I think my personal relationship with it influenced my take a lot. If I were in the situations of these blind people and MrBeast demanded of me that a very intimate moment when I see my family again is shared with the whole world in exchange for the operation I would feel very conflicted. I would feel used and somewhat dirty. Maybe that is weird of me to think that but I would not like it at all to be in that position.
How many problems for someone could a lousy $1000 solve in today's world?
It is about 100.000 bucks.

T

tiredone

Tired one
Dec 12, 2022
$100000 would for sure help solve many problems for my small family, and made it more possible for me to stay alive ( like investing it and finally buying a flat/house(mortage) so we could have our own place to live).