O

OverTheRainbow

Feb 7, 2019
I have a very good friend online, but sometimes he gets really avoidant with me. One night he told me his dog died and wanted me to leave him alone. I felt terrible for him and tried to respect his wishes as best I could. A week later we had a voice call and I kept hearing his dog barking. I was confused. Every voice call I hear his dog barking and he even says 'hold on I'm seeing what my dog is barking at'. He's only ever talked about one dog to me. I don't remember him saying he has another dog... I'm starting to get really worried that he lied about this so I would leave him alone. I'm really not okay with that and I want to confront him about it. I'm scared I got it all wrong and he thinks I'm an asshole for thinking he would lie about something like that. Admittedly I feel terrible about thinking it too. How should I confront him? I really don't want to come across as accusing him, I'm just confused and want things cleared up.

W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
You should just casually ask, "Hey, wasn't your dog dead?"

Also, give him more space. You probably don't realize but are a possessive person. (I used to be like that)

Wish you the best and hope your relationship with your friend improves soon!

Reactions: omoidarui
WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
In my opinion, if we say he got another dog I'm sure as a "good friend" he would be excited about it and would mention that to you asap. If we say he had multiple dogs im sure he would be proud to say that earlier in the friendship. Again, in my personal opinion, I would assume he lied as well. Your suspension is completely reasonable. Now my question to you, you obviously consider him as a "good friend", do you think he's the kind of person who would joke/lie about that? Cus I know that some people would think it's whatever to lie about something as serious...

Reactions: demuic
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
One of my exes pulled some weird shit on me that reminds me of this...told me he was still going to uni (when he clearly dropped out at this point but we were in a long distance relationship) and that he had recently lost his dog before he met me...which also wasn't true...he never had a dog but had a photo of him with his aunts dog. Some people seem to be pathological liars, some don't even want to hurt you with it but can't help it...I guess.

Give your friend a little space and let him explain about the dog thing on his own.

MrBlue

MrBlue

Arcanist
Jul 1, 2020
He might have had more than one dog. I lost my oldest dog back in September, but I've still got his little brother.