N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have several add blockers installed in my browser. I just get sick by most of the adds nowadays. Though I am not sure whether there really was a decline. Maybe the adds always were so bad. I dislike the cheap irony and the metajokes. Currently I get so many adds for an anti-diarrhea medication (no it has nothing to do with my browser history lol). I just think which actors want to be humiliated like that. Just showing your face as if you would take a huge dump right now. At least these people have jobs in contrast to me. Lol.

I dislike many commercials. They try to address our most primitive insticts. DFW writes wonderfully about that. Many companies are extremely greedy and would do anything to get some cheap money. I recently wrote about that but I now do it again. The sponsors of soccer clubs just digust me. There are many sponsors from dictatorships which violate human rights. Paris Saint-Germain is very cool for many young people. I am disgusted by them. I almost quit watching soccer at all because of this development. There is no morality anymore. Maybe there never was.

But superficially everything must look good. Just some statements in favor of feminism and gender equality but secretly don't giving a fuck about for example the gender pay-gap. These people are such hypocrites.

Another personal reason why I avoid adds: I don't have much money. And adds often create an artifical desire for products you don't need. Often the desire wanting to buy something is way more intensive than the satisfaction when you have bought it. DFW said that. But I think he mainly spoke about the upper-middle class in a broader context. I still can relate to that. But being poor is still pretty horrible. For me it is one of my main reasons why I want to ctb.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: binturong, Seaghost, Fragile and 1 other person
C

CreatifUsrnam

Mar 22, 2022
I hate ads too.

They're very annoying and waste a lot of my time on random, useless products which I don't need nor want.

In my opinion, the biggest issue with ads is that they give many, many websites a shady, legit-ish seeming excuse to invade privacy for whatever reason they feel like.

Something along the lines of "We use cookies to deliver and personalize advertising for you. This includes precise geolocation data, IP address, and recent search history. Please press 'consent' to continue to the site"

"To sign up for this website, you will need to provide us with your home address, phone number, and full name. This is needed to deliver advertisements tailored to your interests. Please read and consent to our privacy policy"

On the way to technological dystopia :)

Reactions: Smart No More and batcountry
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
No kidding. That's like saying " I hate stepping in dog shit."

Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Oh yea. I pay for ad free services. Ads are weird to me. Something about them rubs me wrong.

U

user_name_here

N/A
May 16, 2021
Yeah I can't stand them. I love using a VPN and setting my location to somewhere I don't live like Japan, so all the ads that do get shoved in my face provide slight humour since I have no fucking idea what's going on lol.

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I was thinking about this earlier. Especially at a time like this advertising and its manipulation tactics has got well out of hand and to me it's as bad as incouraging people to gamble. People don't have as much "disposable" income if any and vying over money people don't have by doing everything in their power to hypnotise them into handing it over is dusgusting. Might sound a bit dramatic but don't be fooled, given the choice they would not think twice about hypnotising people as long as it wouldn't hurt future figures.

On the other side of the coin how do brands get their products seen? I think maybe put all advertising in a single platform (similar to a catalogue) online and in print and allow people to seek it out rather than forcing it down people's throats. It's unfortunate though, that advertising hold up many platdeoms these days. Telivision and apps in particular. I'm not sure how you address that. Subscription perhaps. The apps it holds up often aren't healthy platforms so I could happily see some of those disappear. I'm thinking (meta) facebook, instagram etc. All the info these apps/companies has is dangerous in futhering the manipulation tactics of advertising but there's a much bigger issue in that it's foeming very unhealthy minds and essentially swaying humanity in a terribly regressive direction. Our whole approach to things couls use a massive reworking but unfortunately that immorality that drives consumption and creation of ads and services of certain kinds will always be a week spot in the armour of humans and the world they inhabit and affect. So ultimately we need to start looking at ourselves and deciding what we in our own bubles can do to be better for benefit of everyone other than just ourselves. An honest look in the mirror.

It reminds me of something I see written/said here quite often which is that many feel their issues are too great and complex for a mental health worker to address and unravel. The world we live in is in a comparitive position of complexity of issues. We here now will never see the benefits of addressing things. Advertising, greed, narcissism and corruption has it grubby fingers in every aspect of our lives... Medicine & healthcare, government, policing and media. Surmounting that may well be unachievable. Particularly when we see a deflection of criminality and corruption being focused on things like the war on drugs. The further the war on drugs goes the further it gets into the hands of the worst examples of humanity and creates a somewhat self fulfilling circle of blame.

Think my thoughts got away with me a bit there and sent me off topic a bit but it's all related and a huge mirror needs holding up to the world but it's possibly more likely to start the ball rolling if we hold individual mirrors hp to ourselves and make a start at home whilst encouraging those around us to do the same in as little a confrontational manor we can. Stop being ruled by our insecurities and desires and look at a bigger picture and the part we play in it. With the ball already rolling backwards it's hard to really imagine any real acheivemnts in turning it around as it's almost perpetually out of control. Ivm quite embarrassed to be a human when I see what we're capable of and we squander it,. Killing our planet in the process. All those people working to come up with solutions have my highest admiration and its sad to think that a solution isn't enough. It doesn't bwnwfit those in power and that benefit from the way things currently are and therefore their is little motive for them to put solutions into practice. Many solutions to lifes issues already exist but are either quashed or monopolised to turn into something that has the opposite impact than intended.

Sorry. I do go on.

Reactions: batcountry
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I've been browsing the internet ad-free since I discovered my first adbocker in 2008. I'll never go back.

The fact that there are people who use the internet without adblockers is a foreign concept to me. Many ads are very intrusive and a complete waste of time.

Reactions: noname223 and CreatifUsrnam
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Of course many things are essentially free because of advertising, such as google, youtube, etc. Some ads are actually not annoying and some are- I really hate when ads are clearly deliberately annoying in order to try to catch your attention- if they at least try to be entertaining then I don't mind them so much, because I recognize that marketing, when it isn't annoying or manipulative, is actually important for society- it just depends on how the ad is done.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have several add blockers installed in my browser. I just get sick by most of the adds nowadays. Though I am not sure whether there really was a decline. Maybe the adds always were so bad. I dislike the cheap irony and the metajokes. Currently I get so many adds for an anti-diarrhea medication (no it has nothing to do with my browser history lol). I just think which actors want to be humiliated like that. Just showing your face as if you would take a huge dump right now. At least these people have jobs in contrast to me. Lol.

I dislike many commercials. They try to address our most primitive insticts. DFW writes wonderfully about that. Many companies are extremely greedy and would do anything to get some cheap money. I recently wrote about that but I now do it again. The sponsors of soccer clubs just digust me. There are many sponsors from dictatorships which violate human rights. Paris Saint-Germain is very cool for many young people. I am disgusted by them. I almost quit watching soccer at all because of this development. There is no morality anymore. Maybe there never was.

But superficially everything must look good. Just some statements in favor of feminism and gender equality but secretly don't giving a fuck about for example the gender pay-gap. These people are such hypocrites.

Another personal reason why I avoid adds: I don't have much money. And adds often create an artifical desire for products you don't need. Often the desire wanting to buy something is way more intensive than the satisfaction when you have bought it. DFW said that. But I think he mainly spoke about the upper-middle class in a broader context. I still can relate to that. But being poor is still pretty horrible. For me it is one of my main reasons why I want to ctb.
Damn I always wrote "adds" instead of "ads". Kind of embarrassing.