HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
My GF (soon ex gf) thinks that is fair too split our (my) two cats - 1 for me, 1 for her, once we break up.

My plan is to move back to Europe from Asia sooner than later, with both of them. The cats are literally mine, I have done all for them, its only me who takes care of them, and they literally saved my life in this lonely place I am.

They "came from the sky": one of them actually was in her family house, and I rescued him from them (they never really cared about him). The second one is feral, I decided to adopt him while my GF was saying NO to me all the time. I ignored her and i brought him home too. Paradox: now she wants to keep this cat.
She is kind with them, like a friend who visits you often, but they are not the center of her life, and she is clear about that every single day: she complains so much about how expensive they are (i buy them the best food I can afford), how they changed our whole life (not allowing us to travel that often anymore), and things like that.

I told her I understand that she might love them and care for them in some way, and that it wouldnt be easy to accept to separate from them forever. its normal. They have been with us 2 and 1 year each. And I could really do the effort of separating of one of them, as I also consider it to be fair, if I knew that the cats would be the center for her life too (i dont mean like an obssession, but in a responsible way: feeding, caring and not abandoning). No conditions. Total commitment until the moment they pass away (which shouldnt happen soon). Im sure that she would give up on them soon or later, as she did two years ago with a dog she had when she moved to Europe.

How can I convince her about what is best for the cats? Actually she knows it, and she tried to convince me that she would commit. Im really only thinking about the cats wellbeing and happiness. Im not a selfish person. I would accept to come back alone to Europe if that was an option. In the end, it was never my decision to have pets 12.000km away from the home I would come back to soon or later. Im just an animal person and I couldnt refuse to save them. I guess at that time I didnt really think I would separate from my gf someday.

These cats are literally my life now. My only social life, and my motivation to keep having a normal life. I kind of agreed yesterday on giving up on the latest cat I adopted. But today I cannot swallow that anymore. Im pretty sure she wont commit with the cat for 10,12 or 15 years. She cant. She is not mature enough, and animals are not that important for her.

What would you do? how would you convince her? I dont want to talk about this to my family yet, and my friends just suggest me to pack with the cats and leave whenever Im ready. My gf hasnt been really bad to me (just too emotional), so I dont think she deserves that. That's not an option.

Thank you for reading me. And I know that for some of you this might not be a serious issue. If that's your case, I prefer not to read your opinion. I respect non animals people (until the moment the harm animals), but I dont need them here.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
Could you give her sole responsibility for feeding them for say a week and see how it goes?
She would do it, its not the daily care what scares me the most. Im more concerned about the future. Lets say in a year from now. And i wont be close to deal with it (my home is 12.000km away from hers). She is the kind of person that wouldnt stop doing anything she wants because of a cat (for example: moving to another country, non pet friendly place, etc.). Its not a supposition. I got all this from her several comments during the 2 years we have been "sharing" pets.

She moved to Europe before and she didnt take her dog for 5 years. She left it in her family house where they locked it 24/7 in a very small room (while they have a huge house with a huge garden!).

One of my cats, used to be in her family house. He was born there. When i first saw him, he was locked in a cage. They locked him every day, most of the day, because he "annoyed" and meow. It took me a week to convince her asian family to take him out and never put him back again. And once they stopped doing it, they didnt care enough for him to stop him from scaping (once he was gone for 3 days, that was the time i decided to take care of him. No one refused).

I really dont trust her. She might have good intentions, but she has a background, and a lack of commitment with almost everything (except for her job) that gives me no hope on this.

HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
Are the cats microchipped?
Not yet. I need to do it before flying overseas, aside from other paperwork. They are 100% indoor, i dont allow them to go out. Its not safe in here.

• Hugs
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
If you get the Cats microchipped in your name then legally the Cats are your responsibility! Hope things work out for you!

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and HarpoMarx
Carrotcake

Carrotcake

Experienced
Nov 27, 2019
I would argue that it is unethical to separate animals that are used to living together.

HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
I would argue that it is unethical to separate animals that are used to living together.
I did. And she asked me why they have to stay with me instead of with her. I tried explaining why with facts, but it was impossible. She refuses to understand about rights from long responsability. She didnt clean a single poop in 2 years, nor feed them or clean the rests. That should be enough to make me realise im not the one in charge. She is just like a sporadic friend to them.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Isisnefert
Isisnefert

Isisnefert

Student
Mar 17, 2020
I have cats too. They are My Life, I think the cats must be With you, cause you really love them, she doesn't.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Ame, HarpoMarx and 1 other person
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
That is so sad and cruel to separate them. Hope you manage to get them out even if it takes some sort of Taken style operation.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and HarpoMarx
HarpoMarx

HarpoMarx

Jan 28, 2021
That is so sad and cruel to separate them. Hope you manage to get them out even if it takes some sort of Taken style operation.
Yes it is. They havent been together very long though. I rescued the last cat 4 months ago. But still, they are a good company to each other. They fight a lot, but also play. It would be definitely sad.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JustAMatterOfTime and not-2-b-the-answer