N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I wlll mainly talk about the paying with data aspect in this thread. There are way more reasons for me to love the internet.

I read several takes of intellectuals that the internet is injust and the people are too stupid to realize that paying with data is a bad idea.
However I think for people like me somewhat skilled, barely having money there are a lot of tricks to exploit the system as it currently is. There are clearly people who suffer because of all the copyright infringements for example. But for me a poor consumer the internet culture has a lot of advantages. I would agree though that digital companies pay way too less taxes. Though I would not support that huge internet companies get split up.

There are people who pay a price by giving away their data. People with an higher income and barely time to compare prices. There are things like dynamic pricing or people with barely any impulse control get baited into sports bets, gacha, buying useless shit.

But I have a very high impulse control I bypass paywalls as good as possible I use some tricks which are not illegal but in a grey area. Youtube is insanely good. I would be scared that if the whole internet was turnered inside out such platforms would disappear. I also use ad blockers everywhere where it is possible. I don't want to waste time on such horrible ads which aim it is too bait me into buying useless shit.

I prefer paying with data. There are ways too avoid some trackers. I use a VPN but for some things I am too lazy though.

The privacy concern is bigger than the financial argument for me. The internet is an insanely good way for me to save money. And I am scared that major internet reforms would be horrible for people like me. At the same I emphasize I don't believe the lies of ultralibertarians like Elon Musk or Peter Thiel. There clearly is a need for certain regulations of the internet. One can see this with X (former Twitter). There is a huge need for consumer protection for example. Transparency on how the data is used and much more.