Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
So I was scrolling through social media a while ago and came across this picture, whether it was a painting or drawing idk but it was a really pretty cottage core painting with two women and I SWEAR when I looked at one of the women I was shooookkk at how much she looked like me. Like identical of my face and even part of my shoulder, how my lips slightly droop on the sides, my jawline, everything and I just stared in awe. I have no idea who the artist is. Does anyone know if this may mean something? Like maybe the woman in the painting was my past life? reincarnation? IDK but it was so eerie and spooky.

• Hugs
Reactions: Finding Sirius, Pluto, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I wouldn't read into it. It means nothing. Pure coincidence. So many people have doppelgangers. That's why celebrity lookalikes are possible and how body doubles and stunt doubles get work. Whilst we're individuals the sheer amount of numbers make the possibility of doppelgangers a probability. Think of it like rare deseases. They're rare because the specific physiology needed to facilitate them or their occurrence is few and far between but it does happen.

Must say I'm curious to see the pic though lol.

It's funny, I've done a lot of drawing and have accidentally, unwittingly drawn characters that have been in commercial use. There's a kind of logical progression in aesthetics and its not entirely random. It's algorithmic.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and Obliviate
Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
I wouldn't read into it. It means nothing. Pure coincidence. So many people have doppelgangers. That's why celebrity lookalikes are possible and how body doubles and stunt doubles get work. Whilst we're individuals the sheer amount of numbers make the possibility of doppelgangers a probability. Think of it like rare deseases. They're rare because the specific physiology needed to facilitate them or their occurrence is few and far between but it does happen.

Must say I'm curious to see the pic though lol.

It's funny, I've done a lot of drawing and have accidentally, unwittingly drawn characters that have been in commercial use. There's a kind of logical progression in aesthetics and its not entirely random. It's algorithmic.
I'm so fucking mad right now. So I google reversed the image and apparently it's a photograph of two models. Both of the women in the photograph look like women of color like me, the other looks east asian. The models that were tagged were white and look absolutely nothing like they did in the photograph. I am fucking fuming wtf. How do you take two white models and edit them to look like WOC. I'm beyond pissed rn. You're right it means absolutely nothing. In fact its colonization yet again. This whole spiritual universe crap thing is pissing me off.

• Hugs
Reactions: Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I can see how that would annoy you however let me play dwvils advocate for a moment. It may help you. As an artist I have an inside understanding of what may have happened here. The artist may actually have been black. Not that it's important but it could be relevant. When drawing characters (or anything for that matter) many artists will use reference. This particular artist may have wanted a specific scene, depicting two women of colour in their composition. The reference needed would be for posture and general anatomy. So the artist probably searched for references and found the poses they wanted but the colour of the models wasn't of importance. That is to say, if you want to draw a character in a specific pose and they're going to be, say an alien in the final image you don't search for references of aliens. You search for people (whatever their ethnicity turns out to be) in the pose (or a pose near enough) you're looking for as its the anatomy that's needed, not the skin tone.

Does that make sense. I feel I couod have explained that better tbh.

Last edited:
Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
I can see how that would annoy you however let me play dwvils advocate for a moment. It may help you. As an artist I have an inside understanding of what may have happened here. The artist may actually have been black. Not that it's important but it could be relevant. When drawing characters (or anything for that matter) many artists will use reference. This particular artist may have wanted a specific scene, depicting two women of colour in this composition. The reference needed would be for posture and general anatomy. So the artist probably searched for references and found the poses they wanted but the colour of the models wasn't of importance. That is to say, if you want to draw a person in a spwcific pose and they're going to be an alien in the final image you don't search for references of aliens. You search for people (whatever their ethnicity turns out to be) as its the anatomy that's needed, not the skin tone.

Does that make sense. I feel I couod have explained that better tbh.
I get it but this was photography. Like actual photographs, a whole photoshoot, I found the models social media and they are very white and I'm angry. I get what you mean but it would only be valid for a drawing or painting and even that is questionable cuz why not just get POC models?

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
So it's photograph? I thought it was a cottage painting.

In answer to your last question, the reason you might not get POC is because you're only using reference in form of whatever you can find online. I haven't seen the picture in question so I'm only speculating. I'd love to see the two pictures. The photograph and painting.

There's a thing in art called photo bashing. It involves using various photographic sources to piece together the final image you're trying to achieve. This may be a case of that and with regards to the race stuff I'm wondering, were their features changed or did they just change the skin tone of the models?

It would be so much easier to comment on this if we could see the pictures.

Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
So it's photograph? I thought it was a cottage painting.

In answer to your last question, the reason you might not get POC is because you're only using reference in form of whatever you can find online. I haven't seen the picture in question so I'm only speculating. I'd love to see the two pictures. The photograph and painting.

There's a thing in art called photo bashing. It involves using various photographic sources to piece together the final image you're trying to achieve. This may be a case of that and with regards to the race stuff I'm wondering, were their features changed or did they just change the skin tone of the models?

It would be so much easier to comment on this if we could see the pictures
Literally all the features were changed. The other woman looked very much east asian, and my "doppelganger" looked like me, a brown woman. And when I go to see the models who posed for the photograph they were as white as can be, blue eyes and everything. I'm just so disappointed because when I thought it was a painting that maybe the artist and I had some kind of spiritual connection or something. It is what it is. Look racism, again. What a surprisešŸ˜’

S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Well no, I feel you're possibly seeing this incorrectly and the your initial feeling was correct. Somebody had used reference to paint the picture you liked. Not out of racism. Out of necessity. People use reference because they can't draw certain things accurately from imagination. It's like saying putting paint over your home walls and hanging pictures is prejudiced against the plaster of your home. They used the reference as a base to biild from toward their initial goal. They were always going to paint the picture you enjoyed looking at. They just made sure they did it well. I think it stands a good chance they're at least sympathetic the the plight of racism.

Now, if they'd just photoshop'd the white girls skin tone to look black and put them in various itwms of clothing that represent popular elements of black culture that would be cultural appropriation. What you describe is the opposite. This all (for me) rests on the context. If you found the pics you can almost certainly find the artist. Raise it with them but maybe first, post the pics here so others can offer some input. 8'm open to being wrong about this. I just know as an artist this is done regularly without any consideration of the skin colour of the person used for reference. Character design/artist do it all the time. Those that can't confidently draw figures free hand anyway.

assisted

assisted

šŸ„
Jul 7, 2022
is "smart no more" white? if so, they need to stay out of this conversation. you have every right to be upset, obliviate. that being said, a friend of mine found my doppelganger in a photograph on tumblr. i never looked into the picture to see who it was, but it was pretty surreal

• Love
Reactions: Obliviate
Obliviate

Obliviate

Abandon All Hope
Aug 13, 2022
is "smart no more" white? if so, they need to stay out of this conversation. you have every right to be upset, obliviate. that being said, a friend of mine found my doppelganger in a photograph on tumblr. i never looked into the picture to see who it was, but it was pretty surreal
Thank you for actually understanding:heart:

• Love
Reactions: assisted