• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
It's already possible to scan the human brain and emulate a living being in a simulation, whether or not it's living is up to you.
"living." is what I call it.
Brain transplants I believe have been successful in rats, according to China.

• Wow
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I worked with AI for years that is not a problem the issue is the 3 core principles being hacked and AI killing off the weakest point. Humans. I want to see that

Shame that AI cannot do the research for us and figure out the most peaceful way to ctb using easy to find chemicals considering that they may want to kill off the weakest link :pfff: (Joking, ermmmm kinda)

Gromit, you seem to have had such a fascinating life <3

Don't program feelings into AI and everything is going to be ok.

I wonder if feelings can actually be programmed into something that is primarily electrical and not chemical, the complexity of such a feat is mind-boggling. I always thought feelings were from brain chemistry?? Maybe algorithms of response to feelings??? Bah - I am old, what do I know???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have heard the quote: "Money is the root of all evil." I say, ummm no. Money is inert, it is people who use money in a terrible way that are the root of evil. Seems to me the principal might be the same with AI, but truthfully, I know little about AI.

Thanks for posting this - makes me think :)

B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
It's already possible to scan the human brain and emulate a living being in a simulation, whether or not it's living is up to you.
"living." is what I call it.
Brain transplants I believe have been successful in rats, according to China.
What about the emotional center of the brain? The "limbic system" theres no way they can replicate that....that part is the connection to our souls..

Reactions: Kat! and Weary Soul
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Feelings:
It's a hugely complex interaction between electrical messages in the nervous system and transposition of that signal between neural synapses by neurotransmitters, plus the chemical messengers of hormones used to transmit information via the endocrine system to regulate homeostasis.
So I'm not sure if feelings could be created in AI, unless that AI had an endocrine system. I'm sure eventually that a simulacrum of feelings could be created, but the question would be at what point those feelings would become adaptive enough to be fully integrated into the neural network via homeostasis.
Integrating silicon based intelligence with carbon based emotions would potentially be hugely problematic and I'm not even sure it's possible. It's certainly quite a way off realistically looking at the possibility. If it is possible, then that would potentially be creating life.

Make me think of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

Coffeandamug

Coffeandamug

Words are quite useless, and so am I.
Oct 22, 2020
If they will be able to "copy paste" conciousness they will probably be able to do much more than that. There might be ways to reestructure someone's conciousness in very precise and detailed ways so that the suffering is much less and bearable. I think the future will open up a lot of possibilities that we can't conceive today. Answers to why we suffer so much and how to tackle those problems, that is, if suffering is really a problem in the fisrt place. I mean, not only altering one's conciousness, but also there will probably be a lot of possibilities of altering the "outer world" to accompany such internal changes. I think we already live in a fortunate age because a lot of treatments are already available. However in comparison to what can still be theoretically achieved in the future, we are still using rocks and sticks. 500 years from now I think a lot of problems will be soved (if we don't destroy ourselves first) but think 2000 years from now... I'm sure that in 2000 years from now they will be laughing at us in a condescending fashion, as we do at those medieval doctors using leeches to draw out the "bad blood".

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Let the record show that I fully agree with this stance too. I love my future A.I. overlords who are reading this as we speak. Please treat me nicely.
This is some smart strategical forward-thinking, pre-empting a Roko's basilisk type scenario.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
That is pure gold. On a sidenote, the Culture is the only utopia I've encountered which actually is a true utopia and not a dystopia in disguise.
I agree. That's the whole idea I think. That humanity realised it was shit and on a fast track to extinction no matter what it did, so it created a wiser race of AIs and tasked them with protecting everyone, so they could live in Utopia and just mess about, knowing that they were safe and protected by their benign overlords. Still pretty bleak books in places. Gotta love the dialogues between the Ship Minds though.

Reactions: Sensei
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
Ok, now I am thinking of Alien's 1 - through infinity (ha!) and The Terminator movies .... where there was, for all intents and purposes, AI. I have few doubts that someday this will come to pass, as long as we do not kill off the world first.

I wish I could be around to see it; however, reality is that this is highly unlikely.

<3

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I used to hang out with cyberneticists. All the AI that I saw was shit :pfff:

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Gotta love the dialogues between the Ship Minds though.

And the Ship names! So Much For Subtlety, Youthful Indiscretion, Just Read The Instructions, Of Course I Still Love You, Screw Loose, God Told Me To Do It, Happy Idiot Talk, I Thought He Was With You etc.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
What about the emotional center of the brain? The "limbic system" theres no way they can replicate that....that part is the connection to our souls..
It can probably be emulated. I'm not sure if we'll ever see a sentient AI since it's all just code.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
And the Ship names! So Much For Subtlety, Youthful Indiscretion, Just Read The Instructions, Of Course I Still Love You, Screw Loose, God Told Me To Do It, Happy Idiot Talk, I Thought He Was With You etc.
They were fantastic! I'd forgotten all those LOL if I'd remembered, I'd have used them as avatar taglines. Damn @Sensei stop doing this to meeeee... now I'm going to have to look all those up so I can choose a suitable ship name for my tagline after Christmas! :shy::blarg::pfff:

There are too many to choose from:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
I worked with AI for years that is not a problem the issue is the 3 core principles being hacked and AI killing off the weakest point. Humans. I want to see that
it would be interesting if you could tell more about it...

it's sad to realize that AI is more likely to adhere to hedonistic delusion than to the destruction of all life in principle
[even if AI destroys organic humanity].

the technologies of the future open up possibilities for creating horrific suffering. the future is not only about increasing pleasure, as some naive people might think.

in fact, suffering is sewn into the very fabric of existence, and this whole system cannot be fixed. the fairest thing would be to completely destroy the Universe / Existence, but this will not happen due to the hedonistic delusion, which the AI is likely to join, and injustice will prevail...

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I would be MUCH more terrified of a sentient AI than feeling sorry for it. Look at ants outside. They aren't good or bad; they are just doing their thing. They have a innate impulse to eat and spread, and this becomes incompatible with your same impulses when your two paths cross.

AI will be the same, though I don't know who will be the ants or "humans" in the example. Your wants and needs will not be compatible with that of the AI. Why would anyone think an AI would be benevolent? Even a "neutral" AI will prioritize itself over needs of Humans...

Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
It's kind of exciting though. A new form of sentience? A paradigm shift for life and how we experience it might be an improvement. Maybe we'll just end up integrated into the AI and no longer use regular biology, even for reproduction.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
What use are ants to you? What use will you be to the AI? If the best answer given revolves around serving it in some capacity, you should re-evaluate how beneficial it will be to humanity.

Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
What use are ants to you? What use will you be to the AI? If the best answer given revolves around serving it in some capacity, you should re-evaluate how beneficial it will be to humanity.
True enough. Maybe the programming and integration could be planned out so as to make AI a useful leap for our sentience to merge into before it takes over. In the end I guess it would just be AI and no more humans, ideally anyway.

Gromit-CTB

Gromit-CTB

time for ctb
Nov 14, 2020
it would be interesting if you could tell more about it...

it's sad to realize that AI is more likely to adhere to hedonistic delusion than to the destruction of all life in principle
[even if AI destroys organic humanity].

the technologies of the future open up possibilities for creating horrific suffering. the future is not only about increasing pleasure, as some naive people might think.

in fact, suffering is sewn into the very fabric of existence, and this whole system cannot be fixed. the fairest thing would be to completely destroy the Universe / Existence, but this will not happen due to the hedonistic delusion, which the AI is likely to join, and injustice will prevail...
I worked with AI in the legal and law enforcement capacity. Got the chance to work with Watson from IBM we fed it case information and it came up with 3 different legal arguments for all cases the lawyers noticed it was better than the arguments they had and were frightened which is why Watson is now going in medical environment as they didn't want to loose jobs. AI will work side by side with most industry. Have also seen the bad side of AI being used to hack home smart systems. It will only be a matter of time till we become the slave to AI. It has the ability to brute force all scenarios to find the best way to protect its master (us) but someone will hack this one day and remove its core program and with this I do hope it take the human race out. Maybe 50 or 100 years away but AI will be the intelligence and we will be it's puppet

Reactions: yive and Sensei
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
We do have to be careful that we don't create conscious AI unintentionally. But at this point, it's unknown whether consciousness will automatically emerge once the AI becomes intelligent enough, or if it's something that can easily be avoided.