Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I've recently been practicing healthy boundaries. I've been prioritizing how my mind and body feelings in stressful situations. If I am having a trauma flashback. If I am feeling overwhelmed. If I feel the need to leave a particular situation. All these things I try to feel and not gaslight myself into not feeling

I not too long ago was berated by my aunt over me trying to speak up for myself. Its a long story I don't feel like going into (I've talked about it enough and with my therapist) and its a situation where I acknowledge I did nothing wrong. I was speaking up and my aunt chose to react against me. I remember my body shaking and me crying over the phone, to which I promptly hung up. Since then, I also decided to cancel our plans to go to Jamaica. As since I cannot have a conversation with her without feeling unsafe, I can't imagine being stuck with her for a week while I keep my feelings to myself

I had seen her in person yesterday to discuss a personal matter. And the whole time she kept asking me if I had something I wanted to "talk about". Insinuating the blow out. The way she framed it, was as if I was the one "blowing out". But I told her no. I did not feel safe to talk to her as past attempts of being vulnerable did not result in me feeling safe. However, I told her I would listen to her but not give any input. She said if I wasn't going to give input she wouldnt either so she decided not to bring it up. It was awkward between us, but I felt it was better I protect my peace

The reality is that I have always been written off as "sensitive" and "over dramatic" by my family. My feelings which were in a direct response to the severe abuse and trauma I was subjected to in my home was always written off as I was the problem. I had to carry battle wounds alone because no one wanted to step in and protect me, always brushing off my feelings. And their perception has no changed even with therapy and medication

So I know that any way of emotional vulnerability is not going to change their minds. And it's not my job to make them understand how I feel. My aunt just said "I dont know how to understand you". And the reality is that she and nobody else every really tried because it was easier to write off my feelings, just how they do my mom in her passing. No one holds space for authentic feelings/empathy, and I am not going to force anyone to understand me. I will teach them through my boundaries

To them I'm an overly sensitive person who has tantrums and blow outs. To myself, I am a traumatized individual who has been gaslit all her life and is now practicing boundaries

• Hugs
Reactions: nolifezzz, Pluto, Saanyo143 and 1 other person
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
it is so frustrating when emotionally immature ADULTS refuse to be mature about and acknowledge mental illness. im glad to hear you know this is the case, and not letting them make you believe you're the problem anymore. ive found the best thing to do in those cases is just to leave if you can, because they will never change if they cannot see why they need to. its incredibly hard to do but its vital for your wellbeing. props to you for sticking up for urself, even if its hard. i wish you the best of luck.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
it is so frustrating when emotionally immature ADULTS refuse to be mature about and acknowledge mental illness. im glad to hear you know this is the case, and not letting them make you believe you're the problem anymore. ive found the best thing to do in those cases is just to leave if you can, because they will never change if they cannot see why they need to. its incredibly hard to do but its vital for your wellbeing. props to you for sticking up for urself, even if its hard. i wish you the best of luck.
yeah I can't leave fully rn as I still live with/connected to them. The goal is to move out in the long term but in the mean while its just boundaries

But yeah, the more I go to therapy the more I look at my dog shit of a family and go "holy fuck, I dont want to be close to these people"

like its no wonder why they never stood up for me. I could give a laundry list of all the abusive things they've done to each other and how they've harmed one another and excused bad behavior. Even being around my relatives is a trigger as whenever I step foot in I could be walking into a fight/argument. There is no healing or healthy communication. Just rage and "moving on" only for the next fight to happen

• Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
But yeah, the more I go to therapy the more I look at my dog shit of a family and go "holy fuck, I dont want to be close to these people"
fr, realising just what shitty people ur family are is a horrifying realisation, like the fact i never realised before and the fact i most likely have some of their traits because they forced them onto me as a kid. makes me feel like a lost cause but also want to change myself for the better more if that makes sense? i hope you can get out of your situation soon, its really difficult trying to heal while ur still in the environment that caused your trauma. im just waiting for the day i can move out and make my own safe environment.

Saanyo143

Saanyo143

May 1, 2023
Kinda sad to hear always when the people who are suppose to be your closest ones on your life take piss on you again and again. Well I would say to keep convo short of they talk to you, only talk if there's any need to as they might start throwing taunts at ya that you don't even care to even have a chat with them ever. If your aunt does started feeling apologetic then I guess you could give her a chance or atleast she should seriously look genuinely interested in what you have to say about the whole issues. Anyways hoping you get out of there without facing any abuse. Hoping the best for you