• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
We can't know really, I guess that goes without saying.

I feel like the fact that the attempt was a year ago might mean that they won't do something like 'recommend' you for hospitalization. It sounds from the post that it may help you greatly and that you have support nearby. If you think your psychiatrist is a caring person, maybe try it. If the most they do is tell your parents, maybe that would be good. Honesty with the people nearby who can and want to help you is a good idea. Without knowing more of your life situation which could change my mind, I'd say try it.

Reactions: harpy
Flores de Abril

Flores de Abril

Mar 8, 2023
That sounds like a tricky question if u ask me, but since it was last year I think it is pretty safe to say that she won't sing u up for a psych ward or anything of the kind, still you would benefit long term by telling them about it, telling everything to your psychiatrist is the best way to ensure that u will get the treatment you need
I would say that the benefits greatly outweight any risks, you should talk to them about it

stoopid

stoopid

from hell
Feb 27, 2023
Bad idea, you will get detained for sure. In my country the therapist have to get you in, they will get in jail and get his license removed if they dont do it. and I never heard anyone ever say "that's a good idea"

Reactions: HumansAreHell
ratlover223

ratlover223

angelic fairy butterfly
Mar 13, 2023
Bad idea, you will get detained for sure. In my country the therapist have to get you in, they will get in jail and get his license removed if they dont do it. and I never heard anyone ever say "that's a good idea"
they could still benefit.

Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
they could still benefit.
Yeah I was involuntarily committed for a couple months. It kinda had no effect long term I don't think, but at the time it helped I think. But I know there are some places that are not good and they might medicate in a way that is damaging.

M

missingpeace

Arcanist
Feb 4, 2023
They will probably ask why your mentioning this now and whether your still feeling suicidal currently and if you admit to this, you will put your carers under alert and might have to told to see them more frequently. If you want more care or different drugs prescribed then mention it to them. If you want your feelings to be understood better probably talk more about the things that are bothering you currently rather then dig up old things that are not relevant anymore.

Octavia

Octavia

“I’d… rather kill myself.”
Mar 4, 2023
As long as you do not tell them that you are planning to hurt/end yourself in the very near future, then a reasonable professional would not see a reason for resorting to involuntary hospitalisation.

Reactions: redbathingduck
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
I have told therapists in the past about prior suicide attempts. They did not try to hospitalize me because (1) I was speaking of the past, (2) I'd expressed remorse for my past behavior, and (3) they did not deem me an imminent threat to myself or other people.

I've also never had a therapist go behind my back and divulge what I'd confided in them to my parents, significant others, or anyone else. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed, except in cases where the therapist considers the client an immediate risk to themselves or someone else.

Why are you concerned that your therapist might tell your parents what you say?

(I realize other countries likely have varying rules/laws surrounding therapy. I live in the US, so the things I've said are applicable to said country.)

Reactions: redbathingduck
zenishere

zenishere

Jan 23, 2023
I think you should tell them. There is very little possibility of you getting detained or something close to that. It is ultimately your decision though, and you know your psychiatrist and the situation in your location better than any of us.

So, I would recommend thinking it through before taking any sort of action.

Wish you the best.