M

markymark03

Dec 10, 2021
to continue to operate in the uk would require the site owner to meet all laws in the uk, and if they fail to meet the uk laws they will have to shut the doors to the uk or be their liable for prosecution

do you use a vpn to access this website if not then its not banned if yes then its banned in austraila
Yeah that's the theory...but in practice who are they going to prosecute? And how would UK law enforcement prosecute a completely anonymous host in another jursdiction? Are they really going to get some kind of extradition if SS hosts don't comply? I just don't think it'll happen...unless the US authorities want to close it down too.
No VPN, just regular ol' wifi or mobile data. I have stumbled upon a few other Australians here too so not sure what's up with that
I thought Australia and New Zealand had tried to block it and failed. The site put up that letter from New Zealand a while ago, basically saying 'fuck you' we're not censoring for anyone. As far as I know you can still view it in Aus and NZ

• Informative
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
L

lessthanperfect

Student
Mar 30, 2023
They wouldn't be able to do anything if SS hosts don't comply (which they say they won't). The UK might set up its own blocks or track who uses this site but they won't be able to shut it down.

• Informative
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
unfortunately it is true when the law passes this website owner will have no choice but to block all uk residents with or without a vpn, otherwise they will be held accountable for any content users post on this website in uk law so they have to shutdown in the uk, unfortunately there is nobody you can turn too for help it just isn't out there this website is unique on the internet the only place you can talk openly about suicide without being censored.
Does the law only apply to big social media websites? Or any website on the internet?
I just wonder if every website on the internet will be affected or only social media sites like TicTok.

I have no idea how to regulate a website to not appear in UK or even if that law applies to all websites.
Also many VPN's go through UK so make sure yours doesn't.

Youtube is sending out warning popups to everyone saying no bullying.
Absolutely no bullying allowed now. That law seems to apply to any form of bullying so I'm not sure how big websites or any website can even allow the public to comment at all frankly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I wrote this a couple days ago:

Can this prospective law really be as dumb as it looks at first glance? It's like arresting your mailman because he delivered a seditious letter written by your weirdo cousin.

I've had a chance to look into the law more since then, and yeah, it's as idiotic as it sounds. I'm sort of tempted to respond with satire. It would be kind of funny to sue bathroom cubicle manufacturers because people like to scrawl nasty things on them. Surely it's the responsibility of toilet stall companies to protect minors from seeing crude drawings of boobs while taking a crap.

Alternately, it might be an entertaining waste of time and resources to find some not-child-friendly content on one of the UK's state-run media outlets, thus inciting a "stop hitting yourself!" fight between different arms of the government.

Unfortunately, once an assembly enters "Won't somebody think of the children?!!" grandstanding mode, satire is no longer possible. Some idiot really will start making tearful, heartfelt speeches about the need to save the children's tender brains from exposure to badly-drawn pictures of boobs, and by the following month, all public bathroom stall dividers will have been ripped out. We'll all be crapping together like in prison, because if prison crapping saves JUST ONE CHILD THEN IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT even though you can't actually measure the effects of things that could possibly have happened, but didn't.

I suppose the thing to do is get as good a VPN as you can, and pray they don't ban those next. (That's not hyperbole—there are "security"* interest groups in the U.S. that would like to make VPN's illegal.)

* Not your security. Theirs.

• Love
Reactions: lessthanperfect, Per Ardua Ad Astra, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
To force website owners not being resident in the UK and websites not hosted in the UK is gonna be difficult imo. The UK can setup a firewall like China does and filter the complete internet traffic that would be the only effective way.

Anyway such laws are so crazy, a waste of time and money. Don't they have any other problems in the UK?!
It's shocking that they would create such a broad law that effectively makes it off limits to even have a website in the U.K. or even one without comments. Now anyone can claim their child was harmed by something online, basically anything it sounds like.

Reactions: lessthanperfect, Per Ardua Ad Astra and pthnrdnojvsc
S

Sandboard

Sep 10, 2023
I think it would be a good idea to fix the onion and clearnet mirrors in case this domain gets blocked in the future

Reactions: lessthanperfect, Eudaimonic, Meditation guide and 1 other person
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
So any website with comments can be held accountable for the comments?
That incudes all social media including Youtube?
Basically if you have a website that users post comments on it needs to be blocked by the site owner from showing in the UK?
That sounds odd.

It's not possible to block your website from being viewed on a VPN.
Exactly. If you provide the platform, you become responsible for all user generated content on said platform. People forget that even the US is heading the same direction. The FOSTA/SESTA laws are proof of this.

• Informative
Reactions: lessthanperfect, wait.what and Per Ardua Ad Astra
venting247

venting247

Aug 9, 2023
will the site still be available or will it be banned in the uk? I just had a message pop up saying the site won't be complying with it

Reactions: lessthanperfect
L

lopsidedcrawdad1

Experienced
Jun 22, 2023
will the site still be available or will it be banned in the uk? I just had a message pop up saying the site won't be complying with it
Its possible the UK could block access to the site but all you need is a vpn or tor and you should be able to access it. I dont know how they would work around that.

Reactions: lessthanperfect and hunterfla
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question, but the next logical step for the UK would probably be banning VPN's. Who's to say their next steps will be logical, though? Fear and venality are also powerful political motivators.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
The only hope is that laws in UK won't affect websites without a physical presence in U.K. However blocking of websites that are penalized might be the next step, making U.K. effectively a government censured country like China.

I also wonder about the transfer stations, I don't know the correct term for them, the physical servers in U.K. that a website might tie into as it transmits around the world. Websites flow through servers in London on their way to other nations in Europe.

I can see it crashing the economies of such countries.

Last edited:
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
UK blocking access to the website across the board. It won't be overnight though.
UK is going to be blocking social media sites eventually it sounds like. Sad but it was only a matter of time before previously open societies took an ax to the internet, what was a free source of all information in the world had to be shut down on some pretenses so governments can clamp down on what information people have access to.

Reactions: lessthanperfect, spinningmyself, Passersby and 2 others
outlook56

outlook56

Sep 24, 2023
No one can force a person to continue his depressing or sad life. No person can laugh or interact with people while he/she is sad. They are a simple minority who just want to leave in peace.
UK is going to be blocking social media sites eventually it sounds like. Sad but it was only a matter of time before previously open societies took an ax to the internet, what was a free source of all information in the world had to be shut down on some pretenses so governments can clamp down on what information people have access to.
I actually read from some intellectuals that a person cannot go and choose death because he/she "has duties." It made me really upset. What is the difference between those who die by natural death and those who die by suicide? Natural death 10,000X times higher My words in general And not just for a specific country

Last edited:
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
To force website owners not being resident in the UK and websites not hosted in the UK is gonna be difficult imo. The UK can setup a firewall like China does and filter the complete internet traffic that would be the only effective way.

Anyway such laws are so crazy, a waste of time and money. Don't they have any other problems in the UK?!
Theres not enough law enforcers to cope with street crime in UK as it stands. London is awash with knife crime and drug gangs. people are being stabbed and murdered on the streets. I hear on the news today that a child was murdered in London which is appalling. Wheres the safety there?. Many reported crimes go unsolved or investigated.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
SolomonKado

SolomonKado

This is taking too long…
Jul 4, 2023
Can you imagine the things the police don't catch up to this point anyways and then add this new problem for them. I'm sure they only go after what comes across their desk and not so much go looking for it. Police can only do so much and adding more to them doesn't mean it's automatically going to become a problem.

It's funny they add more laws and not more law enforcement. It's like adding 10 new items at a fast food place and not add more workers to do it along with only paying them the same pay. Feels like the whole world is disgruntled about these things already….