• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
"Life is what you make it".

Reactions: 21Neberg, Oblivion Lover, quiet35 and 15 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
It's supposed to help say stuff like this to yourself repeatedly.

"You're a good person. Only the present matters".

You've got to be careful where you practice self-help

Reactions: 21Neberg, Wednesdays&Cyanide, ReleaseMe and 2 others
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
"Everything happens for a reason/ all according to plan" fucked me up for a good 6 months lol I didn't chill tf out until I let that go

Reactions: 21Neberg, puppy9, esclava and 9 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
"Everything happens for a reason/ all according to plan" fucked me up for a good 6 months lol I didn't chill tf out until I let that go
For about 3 months I thought I had MI5 gaslighting me. My phrasebook out went out the window and it was just "You fucking cunts" probably hundreds of times a day. That's what being in a traumatic NHS mental health ward DOES TO YOU! So anyway where were we!!!

Reactions: 21Neberg, not_a_robot, Darkmornings and 4 others
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
There are many phrases that piss me off I call them fortune cookie phrases because that is where they belong in how disposable, empty, forgettable and far removed from reality they are. I guess it depends on the context of how it is said.

Let's take your example.
'Life is what you make it.'

This would only be true if we lived in a vacuum where all efforts were not impeded by external forces. But they are, there is also the subtle insinuation that it is your fault if you are not making it. As if how well you are doing solely rests on you. Sure you are an important aspect of quality of life and if you do nothing, unsurprisingly nothing happens. However, at the same time, you share your existence with other people who may well be toxic and busy unmaking you in various ways. Or destroying you because for them to make the life they want means the need for others to be casualties of lost competition. A lot of people's desires to have what they want in life are chronically suppressed or inhibited by accident of geography and social demographic. Or simply chasing a wage and keeping lights on and food on the table.

Sometimes you are just too busy surviving to make life anything and the next thing you know you have chronic arthritis and your dreams of scuba diving in the barrier reef go to die as your boss informs you they can no longer keep you on. Then your insurance denies you access to effective pain relief because of a government initiative you never voted for or have the power to change wants to keep you from being a potential junkie. The pain though makes you depressed and you can't even enjoy crotchet any more. All the while you eat into your life savings only to find your boiler just broke and you made the mistake of letting in a cowboy outfit to fix it that cause more problems and likely robbed you of your mother's jewellery. You go to the police but they have external targets to reduce knife crime not chase jewellery as the main priority as someone prominent was fatally stabbed recently and the media lens is on their performance.

What you are often left with is a demand to change your perception of your life as if it is faulty.

You also only have to look at social mobility statistics to know what an anomaly it is to escape deprived conditions and how much more of an uphill battle it is. Not at all saying it is impossible. But I can't help but laugh at youtube videos that talk about 'easy or lazy money' or tell you, you are the only thing holding you back. It does not help you have various self-help gurus pushing this idea as if it is easy and they are the poster child of success because of a can-do attitude of just believe in yourself... It is easy though to get wealthy via selling quick fixes and hope to the desperate. My disdain magnifies tenfold when this idea is pushed into the realms of the magical. Where your thoughts apparently manifest reality! Guess that person raped by their uncle just did not have enough positive vibes put out into the universe that day...

Life is also what others make it and what landmines they leave behind that may already have been stepped on or need to be avoided. Add in various societal forces beyond your capacity to control and how at the mercy of them you are. Then how much is life solely what you make it? Throw in some ravaging illness atop that then life gets further reduced to limiting factors and base survival. Wind up in an abusive situation or be born into one and life is then what someone else makes it. Long after you escape what they made of your mind can still live with you. On a psychological level we are also shaped by the people most in our lives and hell sometimes is most definitely other people. Some of those people we don't even see us only existing as numbers on a spreadsheet to them.

Life is what you make it. It is such a shit phrase, sounds wise but is ultimately empty.

Another fortune cookie phrase that aggravates me to the extreme that I will rail against at some point is.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

It is such a trite phrase for so many reasons I am sure I would break the word limit in an attempt to cover why it is so painfully flawed and ultimately dismissive. It makes me want to shatter people's spines in 47 places leaving them in chronic pain for the remainder of their soon to be miserable lives. Then point out the pain is temporary because eventually you will age and die… Is that the temporary you meant? Fuck I am so bitter these days...

There you go Jodes you got your rant from me. ;) I am sad to read you are in so much pain lately drop me a conversation if you like.

Peace

• Love
Reactions: 262653, true faith, puppy9 and 11 others
brighter

brighter

Warlock
Jan 22, 2019
@Misanthrope I just love the way you put words together. I could probably read pages of the above at ease and not be tired. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Reactions: 21Neberg, NoOneKnows, Norest4thewicked and 6 others
JJ-NOHOPE

JJ-NOHOPE

Tantalus - all desire, no hope
Nov 26, 2018
"When one door closes, another opens."

People use this when you lose your job or someone dies. Like you are stupid to grieve or be upset about what just happened.
Infuriates me.

Reactions: 21Neberg, ithappens, Wolfjob_dayjob and 6 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
There are many phrases that piss me off I call them fortune cookie phrases because that is where they belong in how disposable, empty, forgettable and far removed from reality they are. I guess it depends on the context of how it is said.

Let's take your example.

This would only be true if we lived in a vacuum where all efforts were not impeded by external forces. But they are, there is also the subtle insinuation that it is your fault if you are not making it. As if how well you are doing solely rests on you. Sure you are an important aspect of quality of life and if you do nothing, unsurprisingly nothing happens. However, at the same time, you share your existence with other people who may well be toxic and busy unmaking you in various ways. Or destroying you because for them to make the life they want means the need for others to be casualties of lost competition. A lot of people's desires to have what they want in life are chronically suppressed or inhibited by accident of geography and social demographic. Or simply chasing a wage and keeping lights on and food on the table.

Sometimes you are just too busy surviving to make life anything and the next thing you know you have chronic arthritis and your dreams of scuba diving in the barrier reef go to die as your boss informs you they can no longer keep you on. Then your insurance denies you access to effective pain relief because of a government initiative you never voted for or have the power to change wants to keep you from being a potential junkie. The pain though makes you depressed and you can't even enjoy crotchet any more. All the while you eat into your life savings only to find your boiler just broke and you made the mistake of letting in a cowboy outfit to fix it that cause more problems and likely robbed you of your mother's jewellery. You go to the police but they have external targets to reduce knife crime not chase jewellery as the main priority as someone prominent was fatally stabbed recently and the media lens is on their performance.

What you are often left with is a demand to change your perception of your life as if it is faulty.

You also only have to look at social mobility statistics to know what an anomaly it is to escape deprived conditions and how much more of an uphill battle it is. Not at all saying it is impossible. But I can't help but laugh at youtube videos that talk about 'easy or lazy money' or tell you, you are the only thing holding you back. It does not help you have various self-help gurus pushing this idea as if it is easy and they are the poster child of success because of a can-do attitude of just believe in yourself... It is easy though to get wealthy via selling quick fixes and hope to the desperate. My disdain magnifies tenfold when this idea is pushed into the realms of the magical. Where your thoughts apparently manifest reality! Guess that person raped by their uncle just did not have enough positive vibes put out into the universe that day...

Life is also what others make it and what landmines they leave behind that may already have been stepped on or need to be avoided. Add in various societal forces beyond your capacity to control and how at the mercy of them you are. Then how much is life solely what you make it? Throw in some ravaging illness atop that then life gets further reduced to limiting factors and base survival. Wind up in an abusive situation or be born into one and life is then what someone else makes it. Long after you escape what they made of your mind can still live with you. On a psychological level we are also shaped by the people most in our lives and hell sometimes is most definitely other people. Some of those people we don't even see us only existing as numbers on a spreadsheet to them.

Life is what you make it. It is such a shit phrase, sounds wise but is ultimately empty.

Another fortune cookie phrase that aggravates me to the extreme that I will rail against at some point is.

It is such a trite phrase for so many reasons I am sure I would break the word limit in an attempt to cover why it is so painfully flawed and ultimately dismissive. It makes me want to shatter people's spines in 47 places leaving them in chronic pain for the remainder of their soon to be miserable lives. Then point out the pain is temporary because eventually you will age and die… Is that the temporary you meant? Fuck I am so bitter these days...

There you go Jodes you got your rant from me. ;) I am sad to read you are in so much pain lately drop me a conversation if you like.

Peace
I would love for Neil deGrasse Tyson to read that out in his positive, pedantic, patronising tone. I would die of asphyxiation!!!! Thanks for the "rant"… funny how it often cheers me up, ha! I'm impressed with your tenacity, sounds like you remember a bit too much of it all tho

Last edited:
T

time2go

Student
Mar 5, 2019
"Everything happens for a reason"

I don't see any silver lining behind tearing my life apart and becoming totally miserable

Reactions: puppy9, RM5998, NoOneKnows and 3 others
InkBlot

InkBlot

What Do You See?
Sep 17, 2018
"Look, youre so blessed. God blesses us. Everything good comes from God."

Religion in general just pisses me off.

Reactions: Amber1974, 21Neberg, SinisterKid and 8 others
R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
"You are very lucky you didn't die" a psychiatrist in the hospital.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amber1974, 21Neberg, JustLosingMyself and 8 others
Norest4thewicked

Norest4thewicked

Losing it
Nov 4, 2018
Tomorrow is a new day! Yes it is! Filled with the same shit

Reactions: Amber1974, JustLosingMyself, SinisterKid and 5 others
R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
Don't compare to others

I will the day when in a job interview they don't compare me to other job seekers.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppy9, RM5998, NoOneKnows and 2 others
Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
Don't compare to others
It's the only good advice I've ever had!!! But fuck this one: just be yourself. It's fine at home. Or if you're a troll. But not IRL

Reactions: Roberto and NoOneKnows
R

Roberto

Wizard
Jan 19, 2019
It's the only good advice I've ever had!!! But fuck this one: just be yourself. It's fine at home. Or if you're a troll. But not IRL
I've got low self-steem and I always compare to others.
I don't think I'm a troll. I try to be nice to people and I try to be sincere.

Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up
ShadowOfTheDay

ShadowOfTheDay

Hungry Ghost
Feb 14, 2019
It's not a phrase, but a quote by G. K. Chesterton. I recently heard this BS parroted by some self-righteous piece of shit CNN reporter.

"The man who kills a man kills a man.

The man who kills himself kills all men.

As far as he is concerned, he wipes out the world."

What a shitty thing to say; to imply that choosing to end one's own pain is morally equivalent to genocide.

Reactions: puppy9, esclava, Roberto and 1 other person
S

Strumgewehr

Experienced
Jun 7, 2018
"You are very lucky you didn't die" a psychiatrist in the hospital.
Is it just me or the cunts love to declare their patients are on verge of death even if they aren't really. Doctors told my family I will most probably not make it and guess what? I'm still alive and well!

Reactions: 21Neberg
SinisterKid

SinisterKid

Visionary
Jun 1, 2019
Hurt people, hurt people.

WTF?? can someone please explain that to me in terminology I can understand. The first time I heard it about 18 months ago I thought it was bollocks and I still do.

Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
You could've done better

Reactions: Circles
Ruffian

Ruffian

Jumpin Jack Flash, it’s a gas gas gas
Jan 16, 2019
1. God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Really?
2. Calm down (I then proceed to throw every book I own across the room.)
3. If you can dream it, you can be it.
4. Anything I've heard in an AA or NA meeting. Literally almost every word. :mmm:

Reactions: esclava, 21Neberg, Circles and 1 other person
been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
calm dowbn never sees the state of yr place.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
Every principal at every school I've taught at ends the morning announcements with "make it a great day or not, the choice is yours!" SHOOT ME

• Hmph!
Reactions: Ruffian
been_there

been_there

Life cares only for itself.
Jun 5, 2019
yeh, i like that its-in-yr-hands thing. but they neveer talk about... whats that expression for never being able tp move up from where u started?

Damn these meds & booze

Ruffian

Ruffian

Jumpin Jack Flash, it’s a gas gas gas
Jan 16, 2019
Every principal at every school I've taught at ends the morning announcements with "make it a great day or not, the choice is yours!" SHOOT ME
Ugh. Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right. Reminded me of that. Principals are horrible human beings who's sole existence is to catch a teacher, child, office worker, or counselor doing something wrong. I was an administrator at a school, but not at the top and got cc'd on an email I shouldn't have been. It was literally an Excel workbook of every thing he wanted to catch certain people he didn't like doing wrong so he could fire them. The only reason I wasn't on his list was because their student files were totally out of compliance and I was fixing them for a state audit.

Reactions: Morphinekiss
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Constantly beat yourself up mentally for failing to live up to society's unrealistic standards for most people.

21Neberg

21Neberg

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2018
1. God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Really?
2. Calm down (I then proceed to throw every book I own across the room.)
3. If you can dream it, you can be it.
4. Anything I've heard in an AA or NA meeting. Literally almost every word. :mmm:

That 3rd one is super motivating to attempt again lol

Reactions: Ruffian