• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

dogbreath

dogbreath

Youre not even in the hole, are you?
Feb 13, 2023
So basically since I was 12 I've been on meds. Don't know what life is like without them. 12 year old me was an attention whore so lied about a lot like hearing voices and seeing things so got prescribed meds I didn't need. I'm 21 now and I've stopped taking my meds. Meds were for depression. Gone cold turkey. Going thru withdrawals. The doctors keep telling me I should get back on them. But I don't want to. I want to know what life is like without them.

So I wanted to ask if anyone else has stopped taking their meds and if it has helped out. How do you even tell doctors you want to stop? Each time I tell them I dont want to they tell me I need to take my meds.

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I stopped my meds 3 weeks ago, didn't go cold turkey but almost. Spent 1 week taking half the dose of sertraline and risperidone, then the next week was off of sertraline and only taking 1/3rd of risperidone which I stopped on the following week.

I stopped because meds made me gain a lot of weight and killed my libido, that has improved since stopping the meds. I felt a lot more depressed on the first week without sertraline and cried every day. I think I'm more depressed while off the meds but just like you I spent several years of my life on meds and I simply don't want meds anymore.

After the withdrawal symptoms are over it is more manageable.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
I stopped taking my meds multiple times, mostly because I thought they were blunting me emotionally (they were) and I didn't like that they were inhibiting my will to die (which was the point). It's hard to say if it's helped or hurt, it's just a different life experience. I slightly prefer being off of them but medical bureaucracy insists that I'm a danger to myself when that's the case, which is true, which is why I prefer being off of them.

bieatmania

bieatmania

早く殺してくれ。
Dec 22, 2023
I like to search up the medications I'm taking on website like psychonautwiki, there's description for effects and I can focus on how meds are affecting me.
I have taken olanzapine for 2 month, and quit because I knew the meds are dulling my emotion and motivations and making me even more depressed, after quitting it I have recovered to my normal state.
I think it's fine to quit meds if you know it's not working.

F

Forveleth

I knew I forgot to do something when I was 15...
Mar 26, 2024
Was on various antidepressants for two years. Stopped taking them because the side effects sucked. Definitely way more depressed off them but being on them wasn't fun either. It's a no-win for me.

Give it a try and see how you feel. You usually don't realize how much they're helping until you aren't on them anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: dogbreath