• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

T

tiredflower

Sep 28, 2020
Hi everyone. I want to recover so much, but just not sure how. I came across this site due to being told about it as my best friend passed away (ihateliving) ps please can you ban this account to stop people looking at it, as I believe it has had access since she passed.

I just don't know how to get better when I few so fucking shit. I've started dbt but it's not helping me at all. My psych has limited my lorazepams too as he said 'once you start dbt you won't need as much'

It's all so shit. Like dbt isn't a miracle cure?! Why do they think we're all going to get better from it. Ugh

Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020
I don't know that there is a good answer. I think most people need a combination of therapy (DBT, psychoanalysis, etc.), medications, talking with others who understand, effort, caring, and time. How long it takes, or what pieces will be most important to your recovery... I don't know.

But, you want to recover. And I can't image it ever working without that. I'm so proud of you for taking some steps (even if DBT doesn't end up helping that much) toward the recovery that you want.

G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Recovery can be a lengthy process, and for sure seek out therapy. It really is important to be determined to recover since relapses happen. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much, and for your loss. It really just takes time, and to do things to bandaid the sadness. For me it's walks, hot showers, weed, and snacks.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Many in the medical therapy industrial complex view recovery as a sort of warehouse in which to stick medicated patients. Usually patients have a desire to obtain some degree of function and integration to the world around them as an objective or goal. That doctors may not have the same goals can be an unsettling discovery.

For this reason, it can be beneficial to work on your own goals alongside of whatever treatment you get. If the treatment is beneficial, so much the better. If the treatment is ineffective, then your own solutions may provide a more successful path.

The key to self treatment is to experiment with different things to find what works for you. Some try nutrition or supplements, others try new activities or employment, some find religion or philosopy helpful. Exercise, meditation, or even changes in sleep patterns can all offer opportunities to experiment.

In addition to finding things that work, it can be helpful to reduce things that may hinder. Many find reducing drug and alcohol use to be helpful. Some decrease involvement with people who might be deemed "toxic".

One problem is that doing things that help or discontinuing things that harm can be seen as uncomfortable or even difficult. Some find encouragement from friends or family to help. It can also be a help to get support from those here.

drwt

drwt

Dec 1, 2020
It depends what is wrong with you. But usually you need therapy + a healthy lifestyle + support from people who care over a long time.

I find the last part the hardest. Getting into therapy and taking your meds isn't too difficult and neither is adapting a good life style. But if you have no friends or family everything feels so hopeless and difficult.