• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
AA Alcoholics Anonymous meetings seem to help many people but in my opinion u must figure out why the pain, why are u needing to drink. Yea there's certainly dependency but that's actually not the real issue believe or not. I say this all the time because I do think it helps a lot. Start to journal most days of the week for as long as u can. Just write don't think too much or worry wat comes out or if punctuation is bad etc. You are suppressing what u are feeling inside with alcohol or avoiding uncomfortable thoughts and feelings. Make sure if u do journal the pen u use is really good like a zebra ball point otherwise those cheap pens will make u not want to lol! Get a spiral cheap college ruled notebook. Put a date at the top of each day. This won't necessarily cure the drinking but u will process things that lead u to want to drink.

Also u can try a new habit or hobby that happens wen u most want to drink. I notice that there's certain times I want to use more than other times. If u just try to quit or reduce your use it likely won't work so don't beat yourself up if u cannot at this time stop or lessen your use. This is why I think u have to deal with whatever is making u want to and then also change some habits. Loneliness can cause it too so this is why those alcoholic meetings come in. You can feel lonely even if u are with a partner. The problem with the alcoholic meetings is it feels like once u start going it's important to be consistent otherwise the people in there don't really know u or trust u. It's kind of like u have to become part of it and then people go out of their way more for u. You may not feel all that welcome initially until those pple see that u are serious about quitting. They encourage u to get a sponsor to help u get structure and so u will have help preventing relapse and change whatever needs to change in order for u to stay sober.

LegaliseIt!

LegaliseIt!

Elementalist
Nov 29, 2019
A few years ago I used the SMART recovery method to recover from multiple addictions. I attended meetings but also used the website and a workbook. I recommend SMART to anybody struggling with any kind of addictive behaviours.

The international website is www.smartrecovery.org

It is rational not spiritual, based on cbt and peer support.
I have gotten a lot of help from Smart Recovery in the past.
There is also a prescription medication called Naltrexone/Revia that helps 78 percent of alcoholics. I was in the 22 percent. Also my doctor didn't know about the Sinclair Protocol. You take a pill 1 hour before drinking. You don't get ill (it's not Antabuse), but you don't get the "buzz". Because you don't get the "buzz", it makes the cravings go away. PM me if you want more information.
All the best

Last edited:
Reactions: Final Escape
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
For me it was trying to quit when it got out of hand and finding out how absolutely terrifying the withdrawal symptoms are. Mind you I was an evening binge drinker only, never drank throughout the day. I drank about two bottles of red wine and two or three beers on heavy nights.

First night (of tapering, so 3 beers!!) woke up in the middle of a panic attack and in total confusion, ran to the fridge and chugged down a whole can of strong lager. I continued my taper but suffered for months of what I later learned were PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms). If you have done more than one withdrawal, especially if they were cold turkey (imo not recommended at all, always taper or take benzos), you'll develop worse and worse withdrawal symptoms for every future withdrawal, an effect called kindling; I had two withdrawals and suffered horribly for months on end with panic, jitters, weird tingling effects, my body jerking everytime I fell asleep...

So please, if you don't experience any of these symptoms as of yet, read up on alcohol withdrawal, go to r/cripplingalcoholism maybe and see how fucked up it can become. Don't deluded yourself; you'll have developed a depence way before you're ready to admit it and this shit can take a left turn so quick you won't believe what happened to you.

Good luck :-)

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
You don't drink for 3 days straight.

Then, you deal with the week of feeling like shit.

Then, you deal with the 2nd week of feeling like shit but less so.

Then, you feel better.

Then, you don't celebrate a month of sobriety with a drink.
Thank you, friend for the head-on advice. Am planning on maintaining sobriety on Xmas day. From there, i'm To get it out of mylife. Do you think i need AA? I have been drinking six pax of beer daily since nice my wife died a year ago.i don't drink with wine of hard alcohol. —- just beers... any further advice? I like your no nonsense approach to the problem.

WhiteDespair

WhiteDespair

The Temporary Problem is Life
Oct 24, 2019
Thank you, friend for the head-on advice. Am planning on maintaining sobriety on Xmas day. From there, i'm To get it out of mylife. Do you think i need AA? I have been drinking six pax of beer daily since nice my wife died a year ago.i don't drink with wine of hard alcohol. —- just beers... any further advice? I like your no nonsense approach to the problem.
I can't say whether or not you need AA. It can function as a way to increase your community and support network. When I tried NA it was okay until I got a sponsor and the strict regiment caused me to push back and eventually dissolved my desire to attend meetings. You also will need to listen to people talk about their problems which can become grating if you're not a fan of that and people can get crazy involved in it. Since it is religiously based you need to take that into consideration. That can be a turn off in itself. There are some good people in there, and some bad people, but if it helps it helps.

AA is good if you're lacking community. You would need to go a couple of times to get a feel for it.

Go to whyquit.org and check out the pdfs on how to stop smoking. Many of the concepts can translate to alcohol very easily.

The first 3 days are when you purge the alcohol and it's metabolites from your system. Physical withdrawal symptoms usually dissipate at that time though they can linger.

The first time you resist the alcohol and choose not to use it is the toughest. It is also the most important as it's easier to resist after that.

Please feel free to pm me with specific questions as it's a broad subject.

I'll be sober 2 years in Jan.

Reactions: Sensei
Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
I switched to medical marijuana. Haven't had a drink since Feb. 19, 2018

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
Have you tried weaning through strict schedule?
That's my plan for cigarettes, although I can't execute it yet.
1) Set up an absurd, predetermined amount of cigarettes to smoke. For me it was 30, but for no fucking reason my body went down to 18 per (normal) day.

2) declare "God be my witness, I will take smoke a cigarette every round hour, except for when asleep!", except with shots of vodka instead of cigarettes. Again, example. Could be absinthe. What you drink doesn't matter.

First week you take 16 shots a day. No more, no less. Were assuming you get eight hours of sleep.

Next week you take a shot every hour and five minutes.
Next week every hour and ten minutes.
Next week every hour and fifteen.
You see where I'm going with this?

It doesn't have to be a week either. Every day could be a bit too rough. Every three days sounds decent.
In the end you will end up with the morning shot and the evening shot.
I strongly suggest you end the evening shot first. The pain of trying to fall asleep without your (previously) evening shot will be strong, but as your body learns there will no longer be an evening shot (which you will take at precisely the same time), it will be more accepting to the idea.
Waking up grumpy because you haven't had your morning shot will be notably easier.

P

Pan

Paragon
Oct 24, 2019
I can't say whether or not you need AA. It can function as a way to increase your community and support network. When I tried NA it was okay until I got a sponsor and the strict regiment caused me to push back and eventually dissolved my desire to attend meetings. You also will need to listen to people talk about their problems which can become grating if you're not a fan of that and people can get crazy involved in it. Since it is religiously based you need to take that into consideration. That can be a turn off in itself. There are some good people in there, and some bad people, but if it helps it helps.

AA is good if you're lacking community. You would need to go a couple of times to get a feel for it.

Go to whyquit.org and check out the pdfs on how to stop smoking. Many of the concepts can translate to alcohol very easily.

The first 3 days are when you purge the alcohol and it's metabolites from your system. Physical withdrawal symptoms usually dissipate at that time though they can linger.

The first time you resist the alcohol and choose not to use it is the toughest. It is also the most important as it's easier to resist after that.

Please feel free to pm me with specific questions as it's a broad subject.

I'll be sober 2 years in Jan.
Does it take three days regardless of amount. For example, if we, say, drank two six packs daily, would the cleanse still take three days?

WhiteDespair

WhiteDespair

The Temporary Problem is Life
Oct 24, 2019
Does it take three days regardless of amount. For example, if we, say, drank two six packs daily, would the cleanse still take three days?
It depends on the half life of the substance. Many things have a half life that means that they will be completely expelled in 3 days. This also doesn't factor in your own metabolism, health, other substances, etc. A cleanse may help. It may not. I don't have experience with that.