• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Hey guys, bit of a dilemma here, and I could use some advice.

Last month, my boyfriend's kid came out to us as trans. So we've adjusted the pronouns and names we use and are doing everything we can to make sure he feels comfortable and supported. It's been a fairly easy transition for me, but the dad is having a harder time with it. He's trying, but he does slip up, and feels frustrated in general with the situation. He's dealing with a lot of mixed feelings; he feels like he's lost the child he's known for 17 years, he feels guilty for feeling this way, and he feels confused about the whole thing. But he doesn't want to cause his child any pain either, and wants to support and encourage his kid exploring and finding his identity. I'm just wondering what can be done to make this situation easier for everybody, and what we need to do to support this kid.

Now, here's a major layer of complication: his mom. This child's mom is absolutely not supportive, and is thoroughly convinced that this will ruin his life. She constantly mocks and belittles him, tells him that he will wind up being a bum living on the streets, and that she refuses to refer to him how he wants to be referred to. She also wants to put him in some sort of conversion therapy, and has told his counselors not to support his identity. Oh, and my boyfriend has to deal with a barrage of texts every so often, reminding him that he is a shitty father for supporting his kid. And believe me, there is no rationalizing with this fucking woman.

So like... what the fuck do we do lol. This is obviously an extremely toxic environment for the kid to be in, but there's seemingly not much we can do other than provide a comfortable place on the weekends. I'm just really worried that this will cause irreversible damage, especially combined with his already existing issues with depression and anxiety.

I don't really know what to ask specifically, I understand gender identity issues and dysphoria, I've just never actually had someone close to me wind up coming out as trans. So I'd like advice, I want to know if there's something I need to be doing, or... idk. I wanna do things right and be as supportive as possible, and prevent as much damage as possible

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow, Minudah and 3 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Maybe an LGBT group would be able to offer the best advice, sorry if this is obvious but it's all I've got at the moment.

Reactions: Final Escape, Deleted member 4993, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and 1 other person
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Maybe an LGBT group would be able to offer the best advice, sorry if this is obvious but it's all I've got at the moment.

yeah I figured, I'm just throwing it out there in case the right person happens to see it and know what to say. I've seen trans folks floating around here so I figured it was worth a shot

Reactions: Final Escape, Deleted member 4993, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and 2 others
K

KiraLittleOwl

Lost in transition
Jan 25, 2019
You both already are doing a good job by using pronounces and name. I completely understand why your boyfriend is worried, it's a huge change and there's still a lot of stigma, it's not exactly a cakewalk for a transgender person to exist in the society, but acceptance is growing, people are more tolerant and it's the most important thing for us. In supportive environment trans people can thrive.
There's an organization that hold meeting for trans kids parents if you are from the US, it's called PFLAG, look it up. You both need support and information too.
If you can afford therapy for the kid, it also a great idea, growing up while being transgender or gender non conforming can lead to trauma that needs to be addressed.
Some people realise that they are simply gender non conforming, they are minority but it happens, that's why therapy is important.
Mom's reaction is not helpful at all, it only can destabilize the kids psyche and poison their relationships. There's not much to be done about it but your boyfriend can try to invite her to PFLAG meeting.

Good luck

Reactions: Final Escape, wiIIow, Minudah and 2 others
Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

SanitizingDeodorantCakes
Aug 20, 2018
Goddamn good for you for being so supportive and seeking help from external sources. Sorry, I've no personal experience that would qualify me to offer any advice.
Maybe some of the links found here could help? https://growingupcoy.com/resources
I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Circles, Final Escape, wiIIow and 2 others