D

deep_end

How've you been?
Sep 9, 2023
I'm thinking about switching my method from SN to just a simple handgun. The issue is I've been in a mental hospital many times and as recently as August. I've also been to a hospital many times when I was 18/19 and don't remember if I was chaptered or if I went of my "own choice". I feel like the answer is definitely no but would it still be possible for me to pass a background check for buying a gun given my circumstances? Specifically Wisconsin USA if that matters.

Reactions: touhoufan
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023

The eligibility questionnaire asks about mental health commitments, which I would assume to be involuntary. But since you don't know, you could answer no. Who knows what the background check would return. You could go give it a try, maybe check their website and select something beforehand. Fill out the questionnaire and see what happens. Worst case, they deny it. Big whoop.

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
I'm not exactly sure about handguns, but I do know shotguns are very easily obtainable. And they are usually recommended over handguns since they are more powerful and more reliable. I was able to get a shotgun no questions asked in NY, which has the second "strongest" guns laws in the country. I'm not sure about your mental institution visits and how that plays in. When I bought (and shortly returned) a shotgun they didn't ask me any questions. I would say your best bet is to just try, and see if they deny you or not.

W

wontachievehappines

Looking for ctb partner
Sep 22, 2023
I'm not exactly sure about handguns, but I do know shotguns are very easily obtainable. And they are usually recommended over handguns since they are more powerful and more reliable. I was able to get a shotgun no questions asked in NY, which has the second "strongest" guns laws in the country. I'm not sure about your mental institution visits and how that plays in. When I bought (and shortly returned) a shotgun they didn't ask me any questions. I would say your best bet is to just try, and see if they deny you or not.
I live in cal, what about cali's laws? Do you think I could obtain now here?

B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
Cali is #1 in terms of gun laws. But honestly, NY is #2 and it was so simple to just go and buy a shotgun. They didn't ask me any questions or even bat an eye. I told them it was for self defense purposes but they didn't even ask. It's pretty common for people to own shotguns, so I don't think you should have any trouble at all. best of luck, bb

D

deep_end

How've you been?
Sep 9, 2023
I'd definitely prefer a handgun over a shotgun if possible, otherwise I'd probably just stick with my SN. I'm okay leaving a little bit of a mess with the handgun but I think a shotgun explosion would just be too much for me to leave behind for people to see.

B

bluebus

Aug 5, 2023
I'd definitely prefer a handgun over a shotgun if possible, otherwise I'd probably just stick with my SN. I'm okay leaving a little bit of a mess with the handgun but I think a shotgun explosion would just be too much for me to leave behind for people to see.
That's exactly the reason I chose inert gas over shotgun. When I realized that I would end up blowing my face off essentially, I realized that wasn't the method for me. A handgun is definitely less messy and traumatic. I don't know so much about buying a handgun but honestly you can just find a place and try to get one. The worst things they can say is no.

chuerdhmproton

chuerdhmproton

Mr. Water Pig
Sep 9, 2023
Given your involuntary hospitalization record, most likely you can't get a gun. But not every purchase gets a deep personal records search I think, so you could just give it a try.

Reactions: hopeisdead
D

deep_end

How've you been?
Sep 9, 2023
Given your involuntary hospitalization record, most likely you can't get a gun. But not every purchase gets a deep personal records search I think, so you could just give it a try.
How long after involuntary hospitalizations does that not affect the background check? I'd assume it would have to be a non factor after a few years

JordanF

JordanF

Sep 21, 2023
The possibility of surviving a handgun shot is terrifying to me. Especially because of the aftermath. I plan to use SN and then a handgun (or shotgun) to make sure I don't accidentally end up even more disabled from the shot. Although, I plan to do it far away so my family doesn't see my body.

Have you been involuntarily hospitalized before? If you haven't, then you should be able to obtain one. Voluntary hospitalization is fine. There is a 10-15 (forgot which) day waiting period though, so just keep that in mind. They have a waiting period so people can "cool off" from suicidal thoughts.

Reactions: wontachievehappines
U

unoriginalnick

Aug 10, 2023
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Reactions: hopeisdead
chuerdhmproton

chuerdhmproton

Mr. Water Pig
Sep 9, 2023
How long after involuntary hospitalizations does that not affect the background check? I'd assume it would have to be a non factor after a few years
That I'm not sure buddy, I wonder if you could go into a store and ask the workers to run a background check for me to make sure?

W

wontachievehappines

Looking for ctb partner
Sep 22, 2023
The possibility of surviving a handgun shot is terrifying to me. Especially because of the aftermath. I plan to use SN and then a handgun (or shotgun) to make sure I don't accidentally end up even more disabled from the shot. Although, I plan to do it far away so my family doesn't see my body.

Have you been involuntarily hospitalized before? If you haven't, then you should be able to obtain one. Voluntary hospitalization is fine. There is a 10-15 (forgot which) day waiting period though, so just keep that in mind. They have a waiting period so people can "cool off" from suicidal thoughts.
Okay, thanks!