Smelly_ballz

Smelly_ballz

No hope in heaven, No fear of hell
Oct 30, 2023
I'm scared I will accidentally say something or my therapist/psych finding out and doing a welfare check or sending me away. Anyone know the timeline of what could happen if they do?

DeecyTee

DeecyTee

New here
Sep 23, 2023
Immediately after they believe you're a danger to yourself. If you talk to a therapist about CTB, water it down. Say you have suicidal thoughts but no plans and you want to get better.

Reactions: altoids, moonmoon and Kit1
T

TiredOfFailure

Oct 31, 2023
My shrink only suggested hospitalization after a failed attempt to which I refused. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Kit1
Smelly_ballz

Smelly_ballz

No hope in heaven, No fear of hell
Oct 30, 2023
Immediately after they believe you're a danger to yourself. If you talk to a therapist about CTB, water it down. Say you have suicidal thoughts but no plans and you want to get better.
I am doing that lol I just don't want to accidentally say or do anything that could make her want to send me. Do you know how they would make you go to the hospital? Is it cops? And do they call them while you're still in the room?

Reactions: DeecyTee
UtopianSoliloquies

UtopianSoliloquies

Act 3 Scene 1
Jan 21, 2023
I think it depends on where you live. I live in Canada and have told two therapists in detail about my plans to CTB and I have never gotten hospitalized. From my understanding, the issue of involuntary hospitalization is quite common in the US and UK, so I would try to confirm this with people in the country you're in.

• Informative
Reactions: Mateira, Ironweed and Deleted member 82921
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
I think it depends on where you live. I live in Canada and have told two therapists in detail about my plans to CTB and I have never gotten hospitalized. From my understanding, the issue of involuntary hospitalization is quite common in the US and UK, so I would try to confirm this with people in the country you're in.
yeah I live in South Africa and if I tell the therapist I plan on ctb they might encourage me lol

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 82921
ApathyToLife

ApathyToLife

Send in the clowns.
Aug 18, 2023
I'd immediately be locked up in a psych ward. In my country if you tell your therapist that you have suicidal thoughts + you have everything you need for your method it's game over, you're not considered a human being anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 82921 and TimetoGo!
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
From my experience living in the UK, I told my psychologist, psychiatrist and the nurses everything - feeling actively suicidal, researching methods, having chosen one, getting my life in order.

The nurses said they could hospitalise me but that it wouldn't be good for my recovery, that it is only good for keeping me from committing suicide. They were all pretty against hospitalising me. They did ask if I had purchased what I needed, I said no as I haven't. I imagine if I had the things that they would want to keep me there.

They all asked a lot if I could keep myself safe, gave me a long sick note for work and asked for my partner to work from home to keep an eye on me.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 82921 and Kit1
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
They'll call EMS right then and there if they feel they are warranted (personal experience). They are very spooked by liability. If you mention feeling suicidal then always strongly emphasize that you have never intention of acting on the thoughts. If you have acquired a method it is probably best to keep the fact to yourself.

Reactions: Ironweed and Kit1
IsThisEverything

IsThisEverything

Nov 1, 2023
It depends a lot on the country and the therapist. I'm in the UK and generally you wouldn't be hospitalised unless you told them you had a plan that you were going to carry out imminently, and that you had all the resources you needed to carry out that plan. They only turn to it as a last resort. Being passively suicidal or not "setting a date" will not typically get you hospitalised.

I've been hospitalised before and the way it happened for me was I was too honest with my care coordinator, who set up a 'check in' meeting with someone else from the mental health team for a couple of days later. When I went to that they told me I could either go to hospital voluntarily or they were going to do a mental health act assessment where I'd be forced to go under section.

• Informative
Reactions: ApathyToLife, Kit1 and ForgottenAgain
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I live in the UK and hospitalisation is the last resort - not enough spaces in hospitals anyway! I was in hospital (General ward as I had to have the antidote for a paracetamol overdose) for 3 days in 2021. Just before discharge, a psychiatric nurse showed up to ensure that they could discharge me as being safe to be discharged and she asked me to voluntarily admit myself in their psychiatric ward. I refused and told them that I was hasty with taking the overdose and had no plans to do it again and was allowed to walk. Since then I have talked about SI, but thankfully managed to stay away from being admitted. However the 3 day hospitalisation was such a mess up with the hospital and how I was treated by some of the nurses (1 in particular) that even if I took steps to end my life and then changed my mind after taking an overdose or something, I will just finish the job and will never return to the hospital, GP surgery or the NHS. I would rather be dead than survive to face the humiliation and indignities dishes out by some of the NHS staff.
Just feel that once we feel suicidal, some medics can be quite insensitive, confrontational, aggressive, unprofessional and not worth having to go through that to live. Better tontry one's best not to be entirely truthful about any plans.
Just feel that once we feel suicidal, some medics can be quite insensitive, confrontational, aggressive, unprofessional and not worth having to go through that to live. Better tontry one's best not to be entirely truthful about any plans.

fwompie

fwompie

pit rat
Aug 9, 2023
I told my counselor and my psychologist everything, including my plan. Just that it was without a clear date since I want to try out some things first and I've never been hospitalized or admitted to a psych ward. It's very different per country and luckily here people realize that being admitted doesn't actually usually help when there's no direct threat or attempt.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain
donehere24

donehere24

Oct 24, 2023
I told my therapist that my suicidal thoughts were more passive so she wouldn't be mandated to hospitalize me. That way if I let something slip there isn't too much of a surprise.

stoiccactus

stoiccactus

somehow still here
Mar 24, 2022
Yeah, agree with all the above posters. Just say you're having thoughts but have no intent or do not have the means to do so (even if you do). Once they hear that you have the means, that's when law enforcement gets involved and your rights go bye bye.

C

CPY

Student
Oct 30, 2023
In my country they'll send you home unless you actually attempted( or you are severely psychotic). That's because psych hospitals were dismantled in the 70s and there is just not enough space in general hospital.Also the laws are very strict and require approval by two doctors working for the public Sector.So it's very hard for a private practitioner to get you committed

Thats one(of the very few) thing I actually like about living here. I've mentioned being suicidal once to my therapist and even a psychiatrist but never got hospitalized

Toobrokentofix

Toobrokentofix

Experienced
Jul 7, 2020
I'm scared I will accidentally say something or my therapist/psych finding out and doing a welfare check or sending me away. Anyone know the timeline of what could happen if they do?
Depends on you therapist, and where you are in the world.

Reactions: suicidal flapper
DeecyTee

DeecyTee

New here
Sep 23, 2023
I am doing that lol I just don't want to accidentally say or do anything that could make her want to send me. Do you know how they would make you go to the hospital? Is it cops? And do they call them while you're still in the room?
They'll call 911. Sometimes the cops come and interview you while they're waiting for the ambulance to arrive to take you to the ward. My therapist did it in front of me, idk if yours will.

Reactions: suicidal flapper
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
I told mine about everything since the very first meeting when i wasn't 18 and nothing like that happend to me. Even later when I showed her my SH scars i wasn't hospitalized.

S

suicidal flapper

Student
Jul 15, 2023
A few months ago I couldn't even get past the first 20 minutes of a counselor visit without her calling for hospitalization. I managed to leave the building before they did anything

In other words: instantly
They'll call 911. Sometimes the cops come and interview you while they're waiting for the ambulance to arrive to take you to the ward. My therapist did it in front of me, idk if yours will.
It's so freaking insidious that cops get called in. Completely disregarding any trauma related to those fuckers

Reactions: fwompie
D

Deleted member 65988

yeah I live in South Africa and if I tell the therapist I plan on ctb they might encourage me lol
Really?
Would they do that due to the fact that the country is in a shit state of affairs.

Reactions: just_a_guy
S

SafferGuy

Oct 27, 2023

That worries me... I hold back with my therapist

nightmare_moon

nightmare_moon

🌌 Pernicious Nightbringer 🌌
Dec 7, 2023
I don't know, but it happened to me twice! This is why you never tell the truth to your therapist, they're legally obligated to do something if you say you're planning on harming yourself or someone else.