D

Deadroom

Sep 2, 2022
I'm willing to bet a lot of us have.
I think the majority of my relationships have been with people with NPD or at least high traits. I was severely abused in my childhood and everything after has been equally awful. You'd think it would be all uphill from child rape but being treated like shit by someone you love even as an adult feels like a re opening of the wounds over and over again.

Theres too many people like that on this planet. A Dr. whose been at the forefront of studying NPD for over a decade says she is more and more convinced as time goes on that its basically an epidemic. And the rest of us are just living in it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Aim, chronicphysicalpain, Lily (Osako) and 10 others
freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
Yup, I've had a similar experience. I wonder why it's epidemic now if it wasn't before. At 60 I am done trying to be intimate with anyone. Guess I'm just too damaged. On the plus side, the hermit life seems to have improved my mental health. And most days I'm grateful for what I have.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: chronicphysicalpain, Lily (Osako), Sick&TiredURGH and 2 others
C

chronicallybroken

Student
Jul 16, 2022
Yes, from my father.

• Hugs
Reactions: chronicphysicalpain and Deadroom
broken_songbird

broken_songbird

Aug 27, 2022
Yup, I've had a similar experience. I wonder why it's epidemic now if it wasn't before. At 60 I am done trying to be intimate with anyone. Guess I'm just too damaged. On the plus side, the hermit life seems to have improved my mental health. And most days I'm grateful for what I have.
Being a hermit is also positive for me. Granted, I talk with the crows and lizards. But at least their intentions are very clear.
I think the majority of my relationships have been with people with NPD or at least high traits. I was severely abused in my childhood and everything after has been equally awful. You'd think it would be all uphill from child rape but being treated like shit by someone you love even as an adult feels like a re opening of the wounds over and over again.

Theres too many people like that on this planet. A Dr. whose been at the forefront of studying NPD for over a decade says she is more and more convinced as time goes on that its basically an epidemic. And the rest of us are just living in it.
Narcissistic abuse is everywhere. Even social services and mental health offices. My last therapist was disclosing personal information about her other clients and people in our small town and using the sessions I paid for to work through her own frustrations. My theory is that with so many of us jockeying for some kind of position and the acceptability of "white lies," the logical result is an increasing amount of psychopathy within the species. Other animals do it. Hell, look at countries with a history of governmental limitations on offspring. Human animals do it too.

The worst part for me was watching my ex twist every story until I was the perpetrator and he was the victim. He even did it in court, despite over 100 pages of evidence. He had a lawyer. I was told I wouldn't need one for a restraining order. Being abused and left with nothing by this man and then watching the legal system take his side, unofficially labeling me a predator in the process was some of the worst emotional agony I've experienced. Right up there with losing my 12 year old daughter. He treated me like human garbage, bled me dry for everything I had (which was nearly nothing - I live in a car), then convinced everyone it was me who had done that to him. I tried to break up with him literally dozens of times, so he would harass me and make life dangerous for me until I came back. I mean the real kind of dangerous, like telling lies which could get me arrested. The smarter I got, the sneakier he became. I was driving from SoCal to a new job on the east coast; when I made it to Denver, he convinced me to turn around and "just come home, baby," but when I got there he didn't even want me to stay one night. It was my birthday. It's taken almost three years and I'm still not fully convinced he has no conscience in there, but intellectually I know he's a machine built to consume and run over anyone in his path. It's all he knows how to do. And I'm just here examining my life more, trying to decide if I was the real predator, terrified of even making eye contact with any man.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: Lily (Osako), Sick&TiredURGH, NumbItAll and 4 others
D

Deadroom

Sep 2, 2022
I believe the Dr. said the rise of social media is a big factor. People get a lot of accolades for essentially doing nothing of value.
It's also likely always been there to whatever degree but its much more obvious now. Everything is recorded and put on the internet so we just see video after video of the loudest and most vapid the planet has to offer. And people choose to support it, which is probably the scariest part.

Reactions: Lily (Osako), KuriGohan&Kamehameha, freedompass and 3 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
my husband seems to match what i read about gaslighting and manipulation. my friends even saying "youre not happy, this is wrong, leave"....so, yeah i guess ive dealt with it

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), jodes2, broken_songbird and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I believe the Dr. said the rise of social media is a big factor. People get a lot of accolades for essentially doing nothing of value.
It's also likely always been there to whatever degree but its much more obvious now. Everything is recorded and put on the internet so we just see video after video of the loudest and most vapid the planet has to offer. And people choose to support it, which is probably the scariest part.
Yeah, that is actually terifying! People lap up some crazy these days and it's being spread in a way that it wouldn't have been able to without the Internet. The net is the transmitter of the human pathogen. Then we get Trump in office. Soon as I saw that I knew we were doomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lily (Osako), broken_songbird, Hollowman and 1 other person
D

Deadroom

Sep 2, 2022
Being a hermit is also positive for me. Granted, I talk with the crows and lizards. But at least their intentions are very clear.

Narcissistic abuse is everywhere. Even social services and mental health offices. My last therapist was disclosing personal information about her other clients and people in our small town and using the sessions I paid for to work through her own frustrations. My theory is that with so many of us jockeying for some kind of position and the acceptability of "white lies," the logical result is an increasing amount of psychopathy within the species. Other animals do it. Hell, look at countries with a history of governmental limitations on offspring. Human animals do it too.

The worst part for me was watching my ex twist every story until I was the perpetrator and he was the victim. He even did it in court, despite over 100 pages of evidence. He had a lawyer. I was told I wouldn't need one for a restraining order. Being abused and left with nothing by this man and then watching the legal system take his side, unofficially labeling me a predator in the process was some of the worst emotional agony I've experienced. Right up there with losing my 12 year old daughter. He treated me like human garbage, bled me dry for everything I had (which was nearly nothing - I live in a car), then convinced everyone it was me who had done that to him. I tried to break up with him literally dozens of times, so he would harass me and make life dangerous for me until I came back. I mean the real kind of dangerous, like telling lies which could get me arrested. The smarter I got, the sneakier he became. I was driving from SoCal to a new job on the east coast; when I made it to Denver, he convinced me to turn around and "just come home, baby," but when I got there he didn't even want me to stay one night. It was my birthday. It's taken almost three years and I'm still not fully convinced he has no conscience in there, but intellectually I know he's a machine built to consume and run over anyone in his path. It's all he knows how to do. And I'm just here examining my life more, trying to decide if I was the real predator, terrified of even making eye contact with any man.
It's lessened now as an adult but I had therapist after therapist be emotionally abusive to me as a kid.
It ranges from calling me chicken shit because I lived in a group home and had a hard time standing up for myself around the other kids who were violent and domineering. I had another tell me I shouldn't have talked back when my boyfriend hit me. The list goes on. Generally just treating me like I'm and absolute idiot.

I'm losing my cat in this situation, which is gut wrenching. I cant imagine losing your own child. I'm also at risk for being homeless again, for the second time. I cant take a 3rd round.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), Sick&TiredURGH and broken_songbird
Blondie

Blondie

Aug 12, 2022
Yep! My so called mother, I went no contact with her earlier this year

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sick&TiredURGH and broken_songbird
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Add me to the list...

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako) and jodes2
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
*Raises hand.
🥺💔🥺💔
I'm so twisted, torn, and broken. I'll never be the same. I don't even know if you can actually heal this type of psychological damage. It's insidious.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, akana, wljourney and 3 others
broken_songbird

broken_songbird

Aug 27, 2022
It's lessened now as an adult but I had therapist after therapist be emotionally abusive to me as a kid.
It ranges from calling me chicken shit because I lived in a group home and had a hard time standing up for myself around the other kids who were violent and domineering. I had another tell me I shouldn't have talked back when my boyfriend hit me. The list goes on. Generally just treating me like I'm and absolute idiot.

I'm losing my cat in this situation, which is gut wrenching. I cant imagine losing your own child. I'm also at risk for being homeless again, for the second time. I cant take a 3rd round.
What in the actual FUCK?! Doesn't it sicken you that these people got paid to abuse you? As a kid especially. There are all these stupid rules around mental health care that are just as abusive as the garbage they're claiming to try and help us get away from. They get paid to do it, so it's lucrative for us to keep coming back. Adding to the abuse is a great way of guaranteeing customers.

You weren't chicken shit. I was always scared to stand up for myself too. I knew there was nobody to back me up, not even adults, and I figured if I tried to fight back it would make things worse. And what the hell do they expect a person to do when they're alone and surrounded?

I'm SO sorry about your cat. Sometimes the connections with our animals run deeper than with humans. In general, non-human animals are better people. Losing a companion is the worst, no matter the species. And the homeless thing...I so get it. I can't live in this car anymore.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Lily (Osako), KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Sick&TiredURGH and 1 other person
broken_songbird

broken_songbird

Aug 27, 2022
Yep! My so called mother, I went no contact with her earlier this year
Good for you! This can be so hard to do!
I would agree with this. People with money and shock value are able to promote their stuff and the masses plug right into it. It IS scary. And since so many kids have been engrossed in social media and video conferencing during covid, schools are having to retrain them to read each others' facial expressions and body language. It's caused a sort of widespread autism. And as a person who struggles with facial expressions and body language, I've been incredibly vulnerable.
my husband seems to match what i read about gaslighting and manipulation. my friends even saying "youre not happy, this is wrong, leave"....so, yeah i guess ive dealt with it
I read about it too. That was how I knew, from reading other stories that were almost identical to mine.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), Blondie and jodes2

self proclaimed bitchboy
Aug 27, 2022
Yes, my mom was a narcissistic pos who refused any form of treatment and let off all her anger on me. I hate her and she's the reason why the word "love" has no meaning to me. I never told her anything tho, my little sadistic revenge was to leave without saying shit and making very clear that we weren't on good terms at all so she lives with that for whatever time she has left.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), unnoticed and jodes2
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
I am not sure about what a narcissist personality is. I suspect that at some points of my life I was the narcissist. I fear I still am but I would like to be different. Sometimes I really think it is not me acting but somebody else.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako) and Sick&TiredURGH
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
From my parents and my brothers. I had a very hard time living with them and even after moving out, they harassed me like all the time. I'm glad that I moved out as soon as it was possible and I don't know how to say this but I'm glad that their shitty house collapsed.
I really hate them for everything that they did for me.
I feel sorry for my sis but I'm not sorry for my parents. They deserved this and I wonder how they even survived there. I have pictures of the house from 2020 where the house was full of random stuff, the living and kitchen table was full with stuff and the ceiling had a lot of mold almost in every room.
It's kinda ironic that the only room that was in 1a condition, was the room from my sister. It was like completely clean, she repainted it in 2018 her PC setup was similar to the setups that you would see on Instagram.
This month she'll be moving in into my apartment, she already told our parents that she'll be moving to Amsterdam, I got her her own car (a VW Golf 4 in very good condition and 1.4 16v engine) and she already moved some of her stuff into the spare room that I only used to store some boxes with my old clothes and the clothes that don't fit me anymore since I lost a lot of weight over the couple of months.

broken_songbird

broken_songbird

Aug 27, 2022
I am not sure about what a narcissist personality is. I suspect that at some points of my life I was the narcissist. I fear I still am but I would like to be different. Sometimes I really think it is not me acting but somebody else.
I wrestle with this all the time. It's a real catch 22 because abuse by enough narcissists can leave a person wondering if they are the problem. Also, anyone who has circumstances in which they have no choice but to constantly advocate for themselves (infants, severely disabled) can exhibit narcissistic traits. Narcissists act like infants a strong majority of the time and they're very good at blaming others, believing their own lies, and manipulating folks into also believing those lies.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), Sick&TiredURGH and wljourney
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022
You can have some narcissistic traits (almost everyone has one or two) without actually being a narcissist.
The fact that you are introspective about it and question whether or not you are one is usually a good sign that you aren't one.
The only way to know is to be clinically diagnosed.
The best thing to do is read up on it, read up on all of the mental and personality illnesses; narcissism, bpd, etc, and if you see yourself in any of it work on those aspects about yourself.
Don't get discouraged. ❤️

• Love
Reactions: broken_songbird and wljourney
Hangnail

Hangnail

Jul 14, 2022
I think my mom, yeah. I remember being on vacation as a kid. We were going diving and needed flippers. The front desk gave my sister the wrong size (we have the same shoe size) so I took hers and went to exchange hers at the front desk. My mom called ME an idiot for getting the wrong size and scolded me for always being a fuckup. I remember crying and my dad just telling me that was just "how my mom is."

I was looking out for my sister. When I brought this up to my mom years later, she conveniently forgot this ever happened and just told me not to hold a grudge. No apologies even.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lily (Osako), Sick&TiredURGH, wljourney and 1 other person
freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
I think my mom, yeah. I remember being on vacation as a kid. We were going diving and needed flippers. The front desk gave my sister the wrong size (we have the same shoe size) so I took hers and went to exchange hers at the front desk. My mom called ME an idiot for getting the wrong size and scolded me for always being a fuckup. I remember crying and my dad just telling me that was just "how my mom is."

I was looking out for my sister. When I brought this up to my mom years later, she conveniently forgot this ever happened and just told me not to hold a grudge. No apologies even.
Ohmigod that's just what my idiot mother does too! Conveniently 'forgets' or flatly denies ever having said or done what she did. She certainly has many narc traits, but not others. She's not grandiose for instance but she's never been able to take responsibility for anything and has freely admitted this. She can't ever be in the wrong as she has been the self styled victim all her life. Ironically for a trained teacher she seems to have some kind of learning difficulty and has always carefully avoided any exploration of psychology, especially her own. As for me I ended up having to take too much responsibility and blame which I imagine is common for the children of people like her. For years I was crippled with guilt, less so now. I spent an unprecedented amount of time with her this summer and any remaining illusions I had about her finally fell away. She is not the victim she portrays, she is extremely wilful and controlling even at 90.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Lily (Osako), wljourney, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and 1 other person
Hangnail

Hangnail

Jul 14, 2022
Ohmigod that's just what my idiot mother does too! Conveniently 'forgets' or flatly denies ever having said or done what she did. She certainly has many narc traits, but not others. She's not grandiose for instance but she's never been able to take responsibility for anything and has freely admitted this. She can't ever be in the wrong as she has been the self styled victim all her life. Ironically for a trained teacher she seems to have some kind of learning difficulty and has always carefully avoided any exploration of psychology, especially her own. As for me I ended up having to take too much responsibility and blame which I imagine is common for the children of people like her. For years I was crippled with guilt, less so now. I spent an unprecedented amount of time with her this summer and any remaining illusions I had about her finally fell away. She is not the victim she portrays, she is extremely wilful and controlling even at 90.
My mom isn't grandiose either. There are traits I respect about my mother and there are times she's been good to me, but I can't deny that she's mistreated me many times too, and never takes responsibility for any of it. Frankly my mom is one of the reasons for why my life is ruined, and I realized only recently that the reason she is so careless toward me is because she never wanted to have kids in the first place.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Lily (Osako) and Sick&TiredURGH
Brianiskillingme

Brianiskillingme

Slowly Dying Inside
Jan 18, 2022
My ex boyfriend, Brian. That explains my user name.

• Aww..
Reactions: broken_songbird and Lily (Osako)
LossOfWill

LossOfWill

Lowpoly Heaven
Dec 24, 2020
Please don't label me as an epidemic. I already have people who want me dead because I have NPD.

I don't think it's fair to label emotional abuse that everyone is capable of "NPD abuse." All it does is make it seem like NPD folk have no choice of what they do.

• Love
Reactions: Owl_07, noaccount and milkandcoffee
jane

jane

death is not the end
Sep 5, 2022
yep my mom, i even became a lot like her. it sucks...

wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
THAT is the hallmark of a narcissist.
I share a great many of these kind of experiences.

Never ever ever apologize. Always blame someone else. Or worse: play the victim, blame YOU for their mistakes and then make YOU apologize.

It's extremely destructive to a child's psyche and can really fuck you up.

And I keep experiencing the same thing over and over and over and over again.
Just this week. It's so damn tiring and I don't know how to stop it.

For some reason we have learned to doubt ourselves instead of playing as dirty as others do.

sending hugs

• Hugs
Reactions: Hangnail and Sick&TiredURGH
Lily (Osako)

Lily (Osako)

Everything all at once
Jul 30, 2022

Theres too many people like that on this planet. A Dr. whose been at the forefront of studying NPD for over a decade says she is more and more convinced as time goes on that its basically an epidemic. And the rest of us are

Are you referring to Dr R?
She is incredible! When I listen to her I find myself nodding in agreement the whole time, mouth agape in amazement of how she absolutely nails it every time.
Yeah, that is actually terifying! People lap up some crazy these days and it's being spread in a way that it wouldn't have been able to without the Internet. The net is the transmitter of the human pathogen. Then we get Trump in office. Soon as I saw that I knew we were doomed.
As bad as he is, I am grateful to him for doing one thing. He signed Right to Try into law. It's a tiny step in autonomy, but a necessary one considering how our country is run. Anything that affords us more freedom is only done so in tiny increments. This was a much needed first step.

Last edited:
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I have experienced ABUSE and OPPRESSION.

Abuse cannot be blamed on mental illness. ("Personality disorder" or otherwise.)

"The more psychotherapy a client of mine has participated in, the more impossible I usually find it is to work with him. The highly "therapized" abuser tends to be slick, condescending, and manipulative. He uses the psychological concepts he has learned to dissect his partner's flaws and disimiss her perceptions of abuse. He takes the responsibility for nothing that he does, he moves in a world where there are only unfortunate dynamics, miscommunications, symbolic acts. He expects to be rewarded for his emotional openness, handled gingerly because of his "vulnerability", colluded with in skirting the damage he has done, and congratulated for his insight. …
I have yet to meet an abuser who has made any meaningful and lasting changes in his behavior toward female partners through therapy, regardless of how much "insight" — most of it false — that he may have gained. The fact is that if an abuser finds a particularly skilled therapist and if the therapy is especially successful, when he is finished he will be a happy, well-adjusted abuser."
- Lundy Bancroft, Why Does He Do That?

Reactions: Smart No More
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I think the term narcissist gets over used a lot nowadays due to psychology language becoming more popular in everyday lexicon, but two of my biggest abusers had narcissistic traits and behaved in a way that aligned with the characters you see in r/ raisedbynarcissists anecdotes.

My grandmother, on my father's side, has had severe psychosis/schizophrenia since she was young. She has persecutory delusions where she believes other people and spiritual entities (like demons, Satan, etc) are plotting against her. It was well known that she was like this because she would call random people on the phone and rant at them, there were legal documents where my father was on record saying she was dangerous to be around, etc, but no one would stand up to her when she lashed out and everyone pretended like she wasn't an absolute nutcase.

Meds didn't help her for whatever reason, and she constantly would throw fits, cry, and insult you. As a child and teenager I didn't feel comfortable with her hugging and kissing me, but she would start crying and proclaiming that everyone hates her, so I would be forced to let her kiss me and hold me at the behest of other family members. Everything revolved around placating her. It didn't matter that she told her children they were worthless, nobodies, pieces of shit, or eventually started telling me I was an evil faggot who would burn in hell- you were always the villain and she was the innocent victim.

She would go on absurd shopping sprees with money she didn't have and buy loads of junk, including clothes that I couldn't wear or wouldn't wear because I'm autistic and certain textures are like sandpaper on my skin. Of course, a 7 year old child saying they didn't want these things made her fly into a rage, causing her to lament about how she loves her family so much and does all of these nice things, yet no one appreciates her and we're all horrible. She loved to invent conspiracies and would label random kids from my school as druggies or "devil worshippers" with no evidence, so that I wouldn't be allowed to hang out with them.

Everyone enabled her behaviour and let the verbal abuse and threats continue. It got to a point where she beat up her own daughter who was confined to a wheelchair right in front of me, but went around saying how it isn't her fault. She also drove my father to an early death by encouraging him to be a violent alcoholic and constantly degrading him until drugs, alcohol, and dangerous characters, were all he could turn to.

She would attempt suicide multiple times, citing the reason as "everyone is against her." Yet, even if you humoured her, eventually she would snap and start verbally abusing you anyway. She still calls people on the phone unsolicited and picks fights with them, going so far as to call my other grandmother (whom she hates and constantly leaves voicemails calling her a bitch for no reason) to announce smugly that she has no grandchildren anymore and she's disowned me. On top of that, she got a relative of hers to send letters in the mail chastising me for not being part of their family anymore.

Of course, she also goes on social media and posts all caps rants about how she has done nothing wrong and she was wrongfully abandoned for no reason by her lying decietful grandchild whom she loves so much. The way other people would talk about their luxury holidays, promotions, and favorite things, was how she would talk about her children's deaths, playing the grieving mother card to every single person who would listen, even random delivery men or service workers. Anytime she would do something nice for you, she'd just hold it over your head that she did an act of kindness and you should be greatful. Textbook self-centered behavior.

Growing up around such an unhinged and abusive person warped me in so many ways. Hearing anyone cry makes me so uncomfortable, causing me freeze up and go stiff, because for years upon years of my childhood I would have to hear my grandmother tantrum ing, crying, sobbing and throwing fits any time something didn't go her way.

She would severely neglect her family and do nothing but sit in her room, watching TV, shopping online, and smoking cigarettes all day. If she suspected there were any "gay or atheist" characters in a book, movie, or game she would take it away from me, telling me how I wasn't my father's child because he would have hated a "disgusting faggot" like me. Also, yelling how I wasn't meant to be born cause my father had never wanted a child in the first place!

At least she was an idiot though. She was too entrenched in her dogmas to be slick and manipulative like the other self-centered dickhead that abused me.
The man who groomed me when I was 17 (he'd had his eye on me since I was 16 though, because this 25/26 year old grown ass man thought a developmentally delayed teenage girl was SO HOT)

I think what's even worse than getting told to kill yourself by an abuser, not being believed when their best friend rapes you, having most of you possessions stolen by them, constantly being verbally abused in public and having your arms and wrists yanked violently by them, being screamed at, having your nude photos leaked, eventually punching you during an argument, being blackmailed by them, and so on, is when this abuser is so cunning and charming that they convince everyone around you that YOU'RE the mastermind and they never did a single thing wrong.

I'm gonna be fucked up the rest of my life because of what these people did to me, but they only care about themselves. Their ego, pride, and reputation is too high of a price to pay for some respect and decency. If you've ever had to deal with abusive people lole this, I would recommend reading a book called "I'm glad my mom died" because a lot of the feelings and experiences the author discusses will resonate with you.

C

chronicphysicalpain

Jun 28, 2021
My mother is like that, an horrible NPD in every aspect, almost a parody sometimes. If I had a normal mother who had cared for her baby to have surgery as 99.9% of people with my life would have been so much better in every aspect and I'd not be here. But hey, shit happens and evolution chooses a losing side always...