N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I think the term narcissist gets over used a lot nowadays due to psychology language becoming more popular in everyday lexicon, but two of my biggest abusers had narcissistic traits and behaved in a way that aligned with the characters you see in r/ raisedbynarcissists anecdotes.
If I can point something out here - just the very inherent nature of someone being abusive meets these criteria of these traits, these anecdotes: caring much more about themselves than about others, believing they are entitled to control people, acting in ways that needlessly hurt others for personal gain - these things are defining features of all abuse (so yes, abuse survivors in various discussion forums will very commonly highlight having lived through this!) What they are NOT are defining features of anyone diagnosed with a personality disorder.

(So @chronicphysicalpain it's important, when we plainly name that people have abused us, to not scapegoat an entire group of disabled people, like @LossOfWill mentioned, who have only a diagnosis in common with our abusers, and don't have the trait of being-abusive in common with them.)

And as you said Kuri this view of things is spreading because of clinical psychological/psychiatric discourse spreading - so it's not like these concepts were used in "correct" and "harmless" ways by clinical psychs and then became harmful when misapplied by laypeople. RATHER, the nature of how clinical psychs use the terms, reflects clinical psych's interest in demonizing the people they diagnose - and an interest in painting abuse as particularly deviant when in fact it's part of very normal and banal structures of oppression.

Reactions: milkandcoffee, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and chronicphysicalpain
FinalBossu

FinalBossu

Feb 24, 2021
I don't know how it is in other countries, but I feel that narcissistic behavior is enabled, encouraged, and oftentimes rewarded in the U.S.
It's no wonder why everyone is so miserable all of the time.

Reactions: ð–£´ nadia ð–£´
ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

ð–£´ nadia ð–£´

...member...
Dec 15, 2021
I think that's probably true in most countries now, people with a lot of grandiose narcissistic traits are idolised and rewarded for their exhibitionist, attention seeking behaviour and indifference for some reason.

Last edited:
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I don't know how it is in other countries, but I feel that narcissistic behavior is enabled, encouraged, and oftentimes rewarded in the U.S.
It's no wonder why everyone is so miserable all of the time.
It's the basic truth of capitalism and indeed all class-societies that exploiting and abusing others for personal gain is given some kind of sick spiritual/theological justification, so those with the upper hand, our rulers, and petty tyrants like your manager at work and husbands in patriarchal homes, can have their positions of power-over can be treated as natural, right, and not deviant.

So, clearly, we see that the people who get diagnosed with 'Personality Disorders' are a different group than this, they are *not* told by society that what they're doing is natural or right, and rather than gaining power, they're marginalized by how the psychiatric system polices and profiles them.

broken_songbird

broken_songbird

Aug 27, 2022
My ex boyfriend, Brian. That explains my user name.
I can relate. My user name for everything was "hisparasol" for the longest time because it was my job to shield and protect him. Wish somebody would've shielded and protected me. And you. <3