D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
I want to do the nitrogen and bag method but im worried i would take off the bag when unconscious or convulse and block the tube from releasing nitrogen into the bag, or the tube falling out of the bag. How likely is it that this method will fail and i survive with brain damage?

Reactions: dandan and Thatdude
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Yeah if you survive there will be brain damage:/
I'd say it's a pretty complicated method and has a lot of ways that it could fail but I haven't read all the guides regarding this method

Reactions: forced2live
ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
I feel this is one of the methods that require a lot more preparation than others. And can be a little costly. With the research I've done, this is my preferred method. Tank, regulator, mask - it's looking to cost me $500 or more. And it'll take a few weeks to gather everything for me too. Upside is that I can't decide to ctb in a rushed/spontaneous way.

I prefer to be meticulous and do it right. So the cost and preparation doesn't bother me.

• Love
Reactions: forced2live, Greenberg and Pookie
N

needaplan

Student
Jan 31, 2020
unfortunately there is always a danger in failing, but one can try to research as much as possible to ensure all posibilities r taken into account. Did u researched on here? I would look for successful attempts and make a list about what they did right, maybe materials, security measurements, etc. and if still unsure maybe another method or circumstances

• Love
Reactions: forced2live, Mare Imbrium, Greenberg and 1 other person
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Does it rally require that much prep? Tank, tubing, plastic hood. That's it.

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I want to do the nitrogen and bag method but im worried i would take off the bag when unconscious or convulse and block the tube from releasing nitrogen into the bag, or the tube falling out of the bag. How likely is it that this method will fail and i survive with brain damage?
As long as you are conscious you can move your arms and hands and remove the bag, whether you intend to or not, making it highly risky of failure and brain damage.

The very first time I ever read about someone committing suicide was someone who had an exit member with her while she used a bag on her head with helium. The exit member had to hold her arms as she was using the bag, to keep her from reaching up and removing it. He got arrested for that but eventually acquitted of helping a suicide.

Reactions: ineverlearn
ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
Does it rally require that much prep? Tank, tubing, plastic hood. That's it.
To avoid a failed attempt I would much rather prep, test and be certain of success. Being brain dead is not something I want. Maybe the suffering will stop. Maybe not. Do not want to risk that.

• Love
D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
To avoid a failed attempt I would much rather prep, test and be certain of success. Being brain dead is not something I want. Maybe the suffering will stop. Maybe not. Do not want to risk that.
But how will a failed attempt happen? Like what could possibly go wrong?

ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
But how will a failed attempt happen? Like what could possibly go wrong?
With the bag or mask, it's possible SI might kick in or body might have unpredictable movements, introducing air. Or when passing out, gravity takes over and inadvertently displacing bag or mask.

Since the inert gas needs to be continuously breathed in after losing conciousness to correctly ctb, all physical movements after becoming unconscious can potentially lead to a failed attempt. Unlike some other methods where losing conciousness is more of a confirmation of ctb.

And depending on what stage one is at breathing in the inert gas, might just wake up groggy or some degree of brain dead.

• Love
D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
With the bag or mask, it's possible SI might kick in or body might have unpredictable movements, introducing air. Or when passing out, gravity takes over and inadvertently displacing bag or mask.

Since the inert gas needs to be continuously breathed in after losing conciousness to correctly ctb, all physical movements after becoming unconscious can potentially lead to a failed attempt. Unlike some other methods where losing conciousness is more of a confirmation of ctb.

And depending on what stage one is at breathing in the inert gas, might just wake up groggy or some degree of brain dead.
You mean one might wake up if anything wrong happens? Or you mean sometimes people randomly wake up even when nothing goes wrong?

ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
You mean one might wake up if anything wrong happens? Or you mean sometimes people randomly wake up even when nothing goes wrong?
If anything goes wrong, before ctb, extremely likely that one would wake up. But in what state is unpredictable. The brain becomes damaged very quickly when it does not get oxygen but the body can keep going.

• Hugs
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
From what I've read, I think the only way you should even consider this is if you plan on using a scuba mask. They can be very securely strapped to the head. There's a thread on here somewhere that details the process. In the thread, the op mentions losing consciousness in three breaths. He did a test run to make sure it would work.

I think the mask works best because you will evacuate the air very quickly, just leaving nitrogen to breathe.

Reactions: ineverlearn and Spitfire
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
From what I've read, I think the only way you should even consider this is if you plan on using a scuba mask. They can be very securely strapped to the head. There's a thread on here somewhere that details the process. In the thread, the op mentions losing consciousness in three breaths. He did a test run to make sure it would work.

I think the mask works best because you will evacuate the air very quickly, just leaving nitrogen to breathe.
It was the same for me with pure helium. I went unconscious on the third breath. I was breathing it directly from the cylinder (no mask/bag). I was standing and then the next second I was on the ground opening my eyes looking up at the night sky. It was pleasant to lose consciousness this way, but scary when I came back regaining consciousness. I had to remember who I even was for a second, and then where, why, etc...

• Hugs
Reactions: Gnip and ineverlearn
ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020

I agree. And with proper regulators, 1st and 2nd stage. Risks can be minimized. Though, that adds to the cost quite a bit from what I've seen.

• Love
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
The plastic bag method has been known to work for hundreds of people. The mask adds complexity. You might be overestimating the risk of the bag.

• Love
Reactions: Butterfly65, dandan, WearyOfStruggling and 1 other person
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I agree. And with proper regulators, 1st and 2nd stage. Risks can be minimized. Though, that adds to the cost quite a bit from what I've seen.
Let's say it costs $500. I don't think that's exorbitant for a truly painless and quick way to ctb. Not that everyone can afford that, but if you can, it seems like a solid approach.

• Hugs
Reactions: Greenberg and ineverlearn
ineverlearn

ineverlearn

Dec 1, 2020
Let's say it costs $500. I don't think that's exorbitant for a truly painless and quick way to ctb. Not that everyone can afford that, but if you can, it seems like a solid approach.
I completely agree. I can afford it and with what I've read it seems less risky than the bag - for me anyway.
The plastic bag method has been known to work for hundreds of people. The mask adds complexity. You might be overestimating the risk of the bag.
You're right. But if I can reduce risks even fractionally, I think I would prefer to do that.

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg, Spitfire and bov
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I remember people who were thinking to use the bag. I think it was the Exit people? They were talking about how witnesses saw some people were removing the bags and messing it up while they were unconscious. People were contemplating and advising others to use an arm chair and strap their arms down, or even handcuffing themselves as soon as the bag was pulled down over their heads, to help prevent this complication.

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I can't speak to the Exit People's expertise or lack thereof. But it should only take a few inhalations to reach unconsciousness, and once that happens, bodily motion should be limited. I'm not sure the idea of someone ripping off the bag while they're out, like kicking off the sheets when you're asleep, holds much traction.

• Love
Reactions: lobster salad, frostedreef, WearyOfStruggling and 2 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I can't speak to the Exit People's expertise or lack thereof. But it should only take a few inhalations to reach unconsciousness, and once that happens, bodily motion should be limited. I'm not sure the idea of someone ripping off the bag while they're out, like kicking off the sheets when you're asleep, holds much traction.
I think the people who pulled off the bags weren't fully unconscious. Probably because the volume of air in the bag takes a lot longer to deplete, and the flow of gas wasn't regulated. I would attribute those situations to user error. If done right, you would be unconscious in a similar way to anesthesia.

• Love
Reactions: odazai, Butterfly65, Greenberg and 3 others
bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Not regulating the flow of gas? That's a huge error! And would cause serious injury.

• Love
Reactions: WearyOfStruggling, Greenberg and Gnip
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I think the people who pulled off the bags weren't fully unconscious. Probably because the volume of air in the bag takes a lot longer to deplete, and the flow of gas wasn't regulated. I would attribute those situations to user error. If done right, you would be unconscious in a similar way to anesthesia.
I was thinking this too. Also, I think there were reports that people ended up slumped over falling off a chair or something, and this caused it to fail for some of them too.

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
I plan to tape the tank to the floor and lie back-down on the floor with my head slightly elevated (propped against the wall with a pillow under it. Smaller margin of error there).

• Love
Reactions: lobster salad, Greenberg, Gnip and 1 other person
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I plan to tape the tank to the floor and lie back-down on the floor with my head slightly elevated (propped against the wall with a pillow under it. Smaller margin of error there).

I remember reading it was a big deal to be correctly situated, per the witnesses.

• Love
D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020

But I think with a scuba mask you'd need an adapter and the adapter is only available in Europe I think
I remember reading it was a big deal to be correctly situated, per the witnesses.
You mean it's better to sit upright than to lie down?
Are you gonna using a scuba diving mask?

Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
It can seem pricey, but if you have the cash to pay for everything and do not ever have to pay for anything else ever again, it's a completely moot point.

What I like about nitrogen and the application of a mask held against the face is that this method can be practiced. From what I gather, the experience is like going under anesthesia, so abrupt that the survival instinct has no chance to resist before consciousness is overcome.

Since I already have a car that's paid off, I have the means to travel wherever I need to for achieving CTB with no risk of interruptions.

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg and Spitfire
N

needaplan

Student
Jan 31, 2020
I guess the question is: are there statistics about failed attempts qith this method?

D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
It can seem pricey, but if you have the cash to pay for everything and do not ever have to pay for anything else ever again, it's a completely moot point.

What I like about nitrogen and the application of a mask held against the face is that this method can be practiced. From what I gather, the experience is like going under anesthesia, so abrupt that the survival instinct has no chance to resist before consciousness is overcome.

Since I already have a car that's paid off, I have the means to travel wherever I need to for achieving CTB with no risk of interruptions.
But don't we need the adapter for the nitrogen and diving mask method? And the adapter I think is only available in Europe
I guess the question is: are there statistics about failed attempts qith this method?
Yeah exactly

bov

bov

Arcanist
Aug 26, 2020
Are you gonna using a scuba diving mask?
no
I don't think there are since it's the kind of thing people want to keep private, and I wouldn't trust the numbers if there were since it's used for terminally ill people and then not reported

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Greenberg and Gnip