• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Janine

Janine

"The man who hunts two bunnies will catch neither"
Mar 18, 2023
Your mother seems like a very good person for not just dumping you off at the next one. I have a friend who had to live in a mental hospital for a few months and it has really helped him. Of course, as many others have mentioned already, it always depends on the one building you're in, but usually they leave you in peace as long as you don't act up or refuse their treatment. Best wishes!

D

deadhead12!

Mar 12, 2023
So i have tried and failed to ctb, my mom doesn't want me to go to a mental hospital because she's scared of them and don't want to cause me harm
How are they really? Maybe it'll be the rest i so desperately need or maybe it's a worse hell than what i am living in
To those who went or know, please enlighten me
being in a mental hospital worsened my suicidal ideation. the therapy was a joke. we played stupid games like guess the song jeopardy and writes our goals on frogs. i was surrounded by criminals… it made me hopeless for mental health help.

MentalStefan

MentalStefan

Loser
Jul 3, 2022
In my motherland - terrible. The most terrible place in the World. If I had to come back to a mental hospital I would kill myself instantly in any way.
I can add more. Mental hospitals in Poland are terrible. Once a woman was literally almost raped in front of my eyes and personnel didn't give a shit in a mental hosptial. The opressor said to me that he will try to rape me next time for sure but fortunately he didn't do this to me. It was just like a prison. Personnel was extremely rude and unkind. Food was terrible. I think it was even spoiled few times. If somebody didn't behave "well" personnel would forcefully tie them on to a bed even for a whole day. Instead of healing me mental hospital gave me even more traumas.

Janine

Janine

Mar 18, 2023
I can add more. Mental hospitals in Poland are terrible. Once a woman was literally almost raped in front of my eyes and personnel didn't give a shit in a mental hosptial. The opressor said to me that he will try to rape me next time for sure but fortunately he didn't do this to me. It was just like a prison. Personnel was extremely rude and unkind. Food was terrible. I think it was even spoiled few times. If somebody didn't behave "well" personnel would forcefully tie them on to a bed even for a whole day. Instead of healing me mental hospital gave me even more traumas.
Oh god, that's horrible. How are you feeling now?

MentalStefan

MentalStefan

Loser
Jul 3, 2022
Oh god, that's horrible. How are you feeling now?
It was about 5 years ago so I managed to partially recover from that experience... My mother wasn't able to comprehend these things but she gave me as much support as she could even if she was depressed & addicted too. She died one year afterwards... However after my last suicide attempt in June 2022 I self-diagnosed myself as autistic. I gained power and will to life. I received some support from autistic community. However lately I went back to square one and I feel suicidal again... I threw myself into an addiction again.

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem
Janine

Janine

Mar 18, 2023
It was about 5 years ago so I managed to partially recover from that experience... My mother wasn't able to comprehend these things but she gave me as much support as she could even if she was depressed & addicted too. She died one year afterwards... However after my last suicide attempt in June 2022 I self-diagnosed myself as autistic. I gained power and will to life. I received some support from autistic community. However lately I went back to square one and I feel suicidal again... I threw myself into an addiction again.
I'm sorry for your loss. Keep staying strong!

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
if you do go, take pot noodles. Like a hospital packing list. The food is okay at first…then you might need pot noodles

J

juraviel

PL
Aug 11, 2021
i've been in 4 different ones. boring, nothing to do. the crazies are separated from the rest and nothing will be done against your will so don't worry about that.

SleepyRobloxGrl

SleepyRobloxGrl

always sleeping
Feb 22, 2023
I travel a lot and have frequent mental breaks so I've been committed in multiple states. Every time it has been traumatic. I was treated as if I was subhuman by staff who were supposed to be "helping" me. When you are in the psych ward you are not only housed with other suicidal people, you are housed with violent psychotic people. I've been attacked multiple times by other patients and sexually assaulted by my roommate in one facility (another female). Not to mention that the cops who came to pick me up to take me to the facilities during "wellness checks" (even when I was already calm) treated me like a criminal. Once they even slammed me against a police vehicle in handcuffs after an overdose and slitting my wrists. I didn't resist at all (I was too weak even if I wanted to) when they did that and still I was treated like I had murdered someone. The whole shebang is traumatic, at least in America and in my experience.

• Aww..
Reactions: whywere
littlelittlecrow

littlelittlecrow

They/Them
Mar 20, 2023
I was sent to one for a little over a week. When I was sent, it was right after my first attempt so I was in a dissociative state at first. The extreme change in my environment made me feel like my mind was pliable, like I had access to change parts of my life that seemed so permanent before. Suddenly I had no access to the outside world, I was surrounded by nurses and mental health technicians who knew exactly why I was in there, all the other patients knew, my parents knew, I felt like an open book, but I liked it. I felt vulnerable in the way you do when you fully trust somebody, I felt so safe and cared for by the people around me that I felt like it was okay that my life was so open to them. All my worries about how I wasn't using my time wisely or that I was doing something wrong were gone, I no longer had to make those decisions. All the hassle of planning my day just to feel like I didn't do anything right were gone because someone else planned my day for me. They're making sure I don't oversleep or undersleep, that im eating enough, that I always take my meds. I don't need to hide my feelings from anyone, there's always someone nearby dedicated to helping me. It felt incredible, like how I imagine being a pampered dog feels, you don't get to do all the things you used to be able to do but in a way that's freeing because all that choice fatigue is gone. It's a really surreal experience to have your day planned out hour by hour and be surrounded by strangers in a new and small place, but for me it was a very positive one.

Keep in mind I was there against my will and after an attempt where the police got involved, so the facility I placed in didn't give much freedom. From what I've heard, the more freedom the patients have the worse the experience is since you're being forced to be vulnerable without the supportive of properly trained staff. Where I was, you weren't even allowed in the same room as another patient without supervision, and the most physical contact you were allowed to make was a consensual high-five, even if both parties wanted to hug each other they would not be allowed. You could speak to each other quietly, but that was the most you could do.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: whywere