• 20%

• 10%

• 0% (Psychopath presumably...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
How empathetic do you think you are? Has it helped you or hindered you in life do you think? I guess it's quite a difficult thing to judge. Still- this is only meant as a bit of fun really.

Sometimes- I wonder if I am being empathetic- or- whether I am just projecting what I feel on others.

Also- does true empathy encompass being able to detect and understand the more positive emotions out there? I think we tend to view empathy as being able to detect when others are suffering and feel genuine pity for them. Still- surely, it should also encompass the reverse. I think I can probably tell more or less if someone is happy but I'm not so sure I understand it always!

I think I am an empathetic person. I'd say around 70% maybe... How about you?

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Per Ardua Ad Astra, sickbeyondmeasure and 2 others
squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
I think this depends on who you are being empathetic towards.
I've shown empathy to others and it was
needed / rewarding
I've had others empathize with my past situations. Which got me back up.
( positive and negative)

I think pity and empathy are different though.
Pity is like ... pitiful... disappointed pity....
Empathy is more caring.

The issue is when you show empathy to wolf's in sheep's clothing.
Trust. Hard work. Being open. Etc.

It has destroyed me feeling anything really and has proven if you're not a wolf you will get eaten.
In my experiences anyway.

now 10%
Past 60%
( even up to 100% depending on who/why)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, LoiteringClouds and Forever Sleep
CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
No able answr, bfr injury damage 90+ have imgi skll etc now no thing no know answer no work any ni lobe ,make sad

• Aww..
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: squirley, Per Ardua Ad Astra, LoiteringClouds and 1 other person
S

sickbeyondmeasure

May 17, 2023
I think it depends who I'm empathetic with. There are certain family members who are obscenely idiotic and I have no empathy for them. But in general I'm empathetic to people's plight even if I perceive there's to be less than mine. Experiencing pain on a daily basis has certainly made me more empathetic.

• Hugs
Reactions: squirley, Per Ardua Ad Astra, LoiteringClouds and 1 other person
LoiteringClouds

LoiteringClouds

Tempus fugit
Feb 7, 2023
70% - I might not be empathetic to "normal" people whom I meet at work. I try to be funny instead. Empathy at work is problematic - it often involves office politics.
For people who are apparently suffering, I try to have a conversation with them. If they don't have energy to say anything, I guess what they are feeling and ask "Are you feeling like xyz?", "I think feeling xyz is completely valid" or "I feel like xyz. How are you?"

People who feel like they were abandoned tend to appreciate people who actively listen to them. I believe it's important to make sure they get care from somebody else.
I often make rhyme in order to show someone care about them.
It takes some time - I search their post in order to get inspiration, choose right words, and sometimes place their username as the last word in a line - in this way you can't just copy and paste a poem on the internet.

The issue is when you show empathy to wolf's in sheep's clothing.
Trust. Hard work. Being open. Etc.

It has destroyed me feeling anything really and has proven if you're not a wolf you will get eaten.
In my experiences anyway.
I'm so sorry for your experience. It's really demoralising.
Yes there is always "a wolf in sheep's clothing." but I show kindness anyway, because they get nothing from me if they are not suffering.
They might think I'm a fool and my post is worthless. But I can defend myself: "Thank you for giving me a chance to practice. I'm still learning how to communicate effectively. Sorry if it's worthless - I just need more practice, as English isn't my mother tongue."

They can't abuse my kindness. They can't hurt me. I even could spit the cliche "the things which won't kill you make you strong" in their face, if I wanted.

It's like an antidepressants - they might benefited if they are really depressed but they'll get nothing but unpleasant side effects if they aren't. My words aren't an recreational drug which you can abuse.

But yes - I'm genuinely afraid of "side effects" - a bad effect my post might have for people who are suffering.

• Love
Reactions: squirley, Per Ardua Ad Astra and Forever Sleep
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Depends really. Unfortunately i have very little empathy towards those on here that are what i wish i was. Their struggles are valid, but I am unable to look past my envy. For everyone else, im fairly empathetic.

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Forever Sleep and squirley
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I think as humans we tend to be empathetic towards those we care about or those whose struggles mirror our own. Or those who we want to be closer to for whatever reason. So someone can feel like they're a caring person, but they are likely very biased in their empathy. Our self-esteem system is such that we can't help but feel superior to certain people. We have a kind of inbuilt mechanism that looks down on those who struggle with something we've either mastered, or have no real issue with. Then there are sociopaths and psychopaths, and people who use pseudo empathy as a means of getting what they want. So it's a massively flawed system.

Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Forever Sleep, rationaltake and 1 other person