Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Bachelor's in History. Yep I pushed all the chips in a useless degree but i got to study what I liked. I actually liked school and would have stayed to pick up a bunch more religion, and philosophy classes.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Disappointered and *Psyche*
needed_

needed_

waiting for a miracle
Dec 17, 2021
I have a master's degree in psychology and neuroscience and currently I'm doing my PhD but due to the depression I'm almost in my seventh year.. I feel like a failure that I'm so stuck because sometimes I'm just unable to do anything

• Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, LookingforAnswers, GoldLeafIndigo and 2 others
*Psyche*

*Psyche*

Someday, I hope to see you in the light.
Dec 10, 2021
I believe the curse of genius is mental illness. I've already read so many stories here about members who are obviously very intelligent & I speak daily to brilliant people who also have mental health problems. It is also said that many geniuses of the past (e.g., Albert Einstein) were also beleaguered by depression.

As for my own educational experience... I lived with my father from the 6th through 9th grades & he had very high expectations of me. I was an A/B student with the occasional C. Always grounded because of that C, too. It sucked, but looking back, I wish I would have stuck it out & stayed with my dad. I needed the structure he provided.

However, circumstances changed & I had to move back in with my mother. She wanted to be more of a friend than a parent. But when she decided to try to be a parent, it didn't work for her. I had no respect or fear of her in any capacity.

So, my grades went downhill quickly because of the lack of structure & because major depressive episodes started rearing their ugly heads. I technically never made it past 11th grade when I dropped out.

I tried to go back & finish 11th & 12th grades at the same time 😂 Ah, ye naive little girl... crash & burn within three months. I ended up getting my GED about a year later.

But that wasn't the end. I still had ambitions. And I felt like a disappointment to my family & loser in general. I thought that if I could get through college, study what I loved & get a career in what I'd always wanted to do that my mental health would improve. That was my plan. Let's get it done!

When I was 24 I started at community college. I was a diligent student & would only accept A's or B's from myself. Nothing less would be adequate. But my grades started to slide when I began dating the man who would eventually become my husband.

We had problems from the start. But despite these problems we still married. I eventually quit school to focus on work & my marriage. Then I had some major depressive episodes, a major car accident, & found out my dad had terminal lung cancer all within a three month span. HUGE DEPRESSIVE EPISODE!! My husband would try to divorce me twice in the next year & a half, which led to more depressive episodes. I gave up on life & got on disability.

Fast forward almost four years & I was a bit more stable. Still married & not mourning as much as I had been for the three years after my dad passed away. There was an up & coming technology where you could take all your college classes on line! I jumped at the chance.

Some of my community college credits transfered, but I had a long way to go. I got my Associates degree first, then my Bachelors. Then I thought.. why stop there? If it can help me get my dream job? Yeah... I still had ambitions. FINISH IT!!

It took me just over six years to gain a Masters degree. I'm very proud of my accomplishments, especially since my GPA in all of my programs qualified me as an honors student. I even got invited to join a Greek Honors Society for my Masters major, which, of course, I accepted.

Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with my degrees. I'm still on disability because my illnesses won't allow me to hold down a job. But I'm still happy I achieved my goal & a goal I promised my daddy I would accomplish as one of his dying wishes for me at that.

*Psyche*
🥳 GED --> AS in Criminology --> BS in Psychological --> MS in Criminal Justice 🥳

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: GoldLeafIndigo, demuic and cyanol
Grant Me Death

Grant Me Death

Grant
Jul 26, 2021
I'm a high school dropout.

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, Élégie, Disappointered and 3 others
M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
I'm in my third year of university - so 75% of the way there - to get my bachelors in psychology and nutrition

• Yay!
Reactions: WearyHSP
Pen>Sword

Pen>Sword

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Jan 13, 2021
I've got a criminology diploma, which was useless. I'm now in nursing school, which I'm failing right now. I hated every second of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoldLeafIndigo, demuic and noname223
WearyHSP

WearyHSP

Student
Dec 12, 2021
IMO it would make the world a better place if education systems were focused on reducing ignorance, intolerance and encouraged people to empathise, and question everything rather than memorise facts and figures and blindly believe whatever they're told. But that of course would be disadvantageous to any government.

I don't believe in judging people by their academic intelligence or their career, it's more about character for me.
Nicely stated! Education is opportunity. Our circumstances aren't equal, so schooling isn't the same as intelligence. Agreed, character: compassion, curiosity, perceptiveness etc are more meaningful to me than a high education level, per se.

I'm frequently impressed with the level of responses on this forum, regardless of education, people generally are thoughtful and helpful and smarter than me. (I have a disabling neuro-immune illness.)

As for me, I got a Bachelors which would've been with honors except I was suicidal at the time so one class ruined my GPA. Still, it's kind of a miracle I graduated at all (perseverance is my middle name.)

I then went to a vocational school and went into a trade as my first career.

After that I did what Malcolm Gladwell calls your "10,000 hours" in a field that isn't recognized (meditation and clairvoyant training.) I feel like i got my "personal PhD" which will never be valued other than by me. It's certainly not helpful financially, but at this point I'm too sick to work anyway.

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, Message In A Bottle, demuic and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Business Administration with a concentration in General Management.

The fact that Bachelor's of Science can also be what B.S. stands for is no coincidence, just because I have this degree doesn't mean I know anything. In fact, it's pretty much proof that my education meant nothing.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll, GoldLeafIndigo and Pen>Sword
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

It's Just The End Of Something
Jan 20, 2022
I have a bachelor's degree in fine arts. I went to an art college. I've never used it professionally, and have only held low paying retail or nurse assistant positions. I also only speak English. My mother had a high school education at the most, but I'm not sure if she made it past 8th grade.

It wasn't until recently that I realized I only went to college to get away from home and my town. I had absolutely no sense of direction and was deeply depressed, so my grades were horrible in high school and the early years of college. It took me 14 years to finally graduate, with quitting and going back.

It's a really useless degree, because now when I am able to fully apply myself, I'm not eligible for federal grants, because I already have a degree.

• Aww..
Reactions: WearyHSP
Thankyoufortoday

Thankyoufortoday

Dec 13, 2021
I am in college working on my bachelor's in nursing. I currently work as an EMT. All this medical knowledge and yet I still can't successfully ctb haha

• Yay!
Reactions: WearyHSP and Ringo
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

Jan 20, 2022
I am in college working on my bachelor's in nursing. I currently work as an EMT. All this medical knowledge and yet I still can't successfully ctb haha
Wow, I would have thought that training would give you a lot of insight. I guess it's one thing to know what can mess a body up, and another to know how to end things cleanly. 🤷‍♂️

Thankyoufortoday

Thankyoufortoday

Dec 13, 2021
Wow, I would have thought that training would give you a lot of insight. I guess it's one thing to know what can mess a body up, and another to know how to end things cleanly. 🤷‍♂️
I think better understanding the possible medical consequences and damages of a failed attempt have scared me a bit too much. It's a blessing and a curse

T

Teas

Nov 4, 2018
im not smart. god knows how long i've been in college. im tired of studying hard and getting nothing but shit on my work. and what comes next if i somehow manage to get pass this is just endless servitude in a menial job
yea im not educated and bright enough for this world

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LastFlowers, GoldLeafIndigo and noname223
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
I'm just sort of in college I guess

Reactions: rationaldeath
S

SimpleSimon

Dec 13, 2021
I did a Bachelors degree, then decided to do an extra year for an Honours degree. First major depressive episode meant that Honours year took me three years to complete.

I recovered, and started by accident working in a field that I found I loved. All of it. I eventually used it to move half way around the world. Then things started getting hard about a year after I got married, and I had to stop work. 20 years later, still not working.

From personal experience I think there can very easily be a link between high intelligence and severe depression. My father, who won an international scholarship to one of the top universities in the UK, and completed his phd, also ctb. Followed by my mum, who also won an international scholarship to do her PhD in the UK. So they were "bright," but academic "success" didn't help them

Reactions: cyanol
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

Jan 20, 2022
I think better understanding the possible medical consequences and damages of a failed attempt have scared me a bit too much. It's a blessing and a curse
I sooo get that. I've worked in hospital med/surg and cardiac/renal as a tech. And, yeah. You see some things, and it is scary.

• Hugs
Reactions: Thankyoufortoday and noname223
S

subj

Student
Dec 16, 2021
I have very low intelligence, I failed education as I was not capable of any of that. I do not know any languages apart from English. I have always struggled to concentrate. I have no future, there is nothing that I want to do. The only option for me is death. I am not meant for this world.
Are you ure you have low intelligence? Your writing here suggests to me tht you have a higher IQ. You may want to be tested or to even accept that if you have a low IQ mit doesn't mean there aren't places for you. i have talked to many people who say they aren't smart because they didn't get a good education yet they are carpenters , painters, etc. Intelligence measured just because you have an education is a myth. Many so called intelligent people cant use a screwdriver. Please look into your strengths not your weaknesses.
You are probably right. Very interesting. I always was interested to communicate with a suicidal psychiatrist/psychologist. I even asked about one some time ago. Noone answered though.
Someone pointed out a while ago that psychologists and psychiatrists might not want to be identified out of fear of losing their license.

Last edited:
Reactions: noname223 and GoldLeafIndigo
GoldLeafIndigo

GoldLeafIndigo

Jan 20, 2022
I'm a non-native English speaker from Europe, graduated with an honors degree in Business, IT, Tourism, and Accounting.
I work side jobs cause of an expired visa.
Always been suicidal and depressed, but my economical situation made it a million times worse.
Definitely true that poverty is violence. It takes so much more energy just to be a breathing, functioning adult.
I have very low intelligence, I failed education as I was not capable of any of that. I do not know any languages apart from English. I have always struggled to concentrate. I have no future, there is nothing that I want to do. The only option for me is death. I am not meant for this world.
IQ tests don't measure a person's full intelligence. Curiosity, for one thing. Being inquisitive can make people seem more intelligent than their test score, because they naturally seek out information to educate themselves.

You probably have many skills you are downplaying due to low self esteem, maybe because people told you you were worthless or incompetent. That has happened to me.

Also, depression and anxiety really makes it much harder to concentrate and perform. I wish you wouldn't be so hard on yourself.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, including geniuses. My IQ is average, I've not accomplished much in my life by society's standards, but I do have some mad skills. I'm sure you do, too. 😊 they just aren't making us money, or giving us recognition.

Last edited:
Reactions: noname223
TomFrost

TomFrost

Melancholia
Dec 15, 2021
I like your question, very interesting.
Personally I'm a high school graduate who luckily succeed with a poor GPA. If I found classes uninteresting I didn't bother giving any effort, resulting in zero grades. On the flip side of that I took honors classes is Literature, History, and Psychology/Sociology and did outstanding. I enjoy learning and fill most of my free time studying various things.

In my adolescence I grew up very poor and found out how much of a scam higher education is (United States).
Had no intention to ever put myself in that type of debt for a sub-par paying profession. Ultimately I ended up going into factory work where in a few years time I climbed my way up to an operations manager position where I'm making very good money.
I've taken a few IQ tests just for shits and giggles and I'm scored around 125.
Take that as you, tests are silly.

Either way I believe you might be searching for the old question of intelligent people being more prone to suicide. That's a possible reality, although I think if anyone actually sits and ponders about society, modern politics, world struggles, economics, etc. they'll conclude how miserable life can be for many.
Life is a struggle for everyone, some people just have it better than others.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I like your question, very interesting.
Personally I'm a high school graduate who luckily succeed with a poor GPA. If I found classes uninteresting I didn't bother giving any effort, resulting in zero grades. On the flip side of that I took honors classes is Literature, History, and Psychology/Sociology and did outstanding. I enjoy learning and fill most of my free time studying various things.

In my adolescence I grew up very poor and found out how much of a scam higher education is (United States).
Had no intention to ever put myself in that type of debt for a sub-par paying profession. Ultimately I ended up going into factory work where in a few years time I climbed my way up to an operations manager position where I'm making very good money.
I've taken a few IQ tests just for shits and giggles and I'm scored around 125.
Take that as you, tests are silly.

Either way I believe you might be searching for the old question of intelligent people being more prone to suicide. That's a possible reality, although I think if anyone actually sits and ponders about society, modern politics, world struggles, economics, etc. they'll conclude how miserable life can be for many.
Life is a struggle for everyone, some people just have it better than others.
Honestly I did not have the question "are intelligent people more prone to suicide" in mind. As far as I know there is no empirical evidence for that. But there are many anecdotes about (mentally) ill geniuses.

Reactions: LastFlowers and TomFrost
Somber

Somber

Arcanist
Jan 6, 2022
Maybe it would have been better if this thread would have been in the shape of a poll?

Bachelor's degree in finance. Wasn't really a choice of mine, as I had no clue what to do at the time, but I had to choose something so...

Reactions: LastFlowers
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe it would have been better if this thread would have been in the shape of a poll?

Bachelor's degree in finance. Wasn't really a choice of mine, as I had no clue what to do at the time, but I had to choose something so...
Thought about a poll too. But in my other threads which were polls noone told more details. And I think the details are very interesting.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I speak 4 Languages. I have a master degree also. If it was today I wouldn't get any of those two.

• Hugs
Z

zzdam

Jan 5, 2022
I'm a medical student, done a bachelor's, doing a master's currently.

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
The media pretends like we were all so young. For me the answers of this thread show me this depction is not that accurate. Many of you already have a bachelor degree or at least spent a lot of times in college.

Reactions: LastFlowers and Dr Iron Arc
EvilStepSister

EvilStepSister

Feb 15, 2022
4 undergrads and a Masters.

It was an expensive hobby. 🤓

Reactions: Grav and noname223
Frog

Frog

Jan 4, 2022
Bachelor's in Computers. Still dumb though.

• Hugs
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I want to push this thread. With all the new faces of this forum there are probably some interesting stories to read.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Interesting question. I've got a master's, but working in a relatively unskilled field at the moment.
Same. If you don't mind me asking, why?

I "mastered out" of a PhD program and am now working a retail job around school. I hope to join an obscure medical laboratory career.

Reactions: Ashu