N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I know it is a weird question and probably noone is interested except me. How educated is the average member of this forum? I do not expect many suicidal doctors or professors in this forum. (Though fo example DFW was a professor and ctb.) I have met some witty people on here.
I could imagine two effects. Most of us have a broken health and suffer from several underlying conditions. Often this causes problems during time in college or even already in school. This is why I think the average SS member has less education than the average non-SS member.

However we are an international forum. People from non- native English speaking countries only have access when they understand English. (Though I think some people manage to communicate with google translator but this is only a minority or am I wrong?
I also encountered people who had better English skills than me but had horrible jobs in their country and I think less education. Many people are skilled by knowing at least one foreign language.

What are your thoughts on this?

(One remark if this thread gets more attention than I thought and many see it I want to say sorry to all lurking doctors or professors. They must feel excluded by my words.)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, JealousOfTheElderly, ooglah and 9 others
J

Jack'sWastedLife

Oct 28, 2021
Interesting question. I've got a master's, but working in a relatively unskilled field at the moment.

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity, t-rex, Mixo and 2 others
absoluteanimal1

absoluteanimal1

Death by chocolate
Dec 17, 2021
I have a Master's degree but I am currently unemployed due to crippling depression. I am only fluent in English though, I do not speak any foreign languages.

I suspect there may be a surprising number of educated people.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: MellowAvenue, Wannagonow, *Psyche* and 5 others
F

fdnglnslanlnvlonfbo

Aug 8, 2021
I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I work in a shit and underpaid job.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: clown_17, GoldLeafIndigo, Pen>Sword and 3 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have not even made it to Bachelor. But I am very ill since I am a teenager. :(
And I probably will never be able to work. Though many therapists said I would have had a great career without my illnesses hehehe...as if I would get any benefit from that...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: LastFlowers, š–£“ nadia š–£“, LionsTigersAndBears and 2 others
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
neet, unfinished secondary education. i never cared about it and never will

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, BeautifulMosaics, Message In A Bottle and 7 others
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
High school graduate. I'm the first ever in my family to even make it that far--Dad was expelled in 8th grade, Mom and half-brother both dropped out in 10th grade to do drugs.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, BeautifulMosaics, stupidmansuit and 9 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I have a bachelor's from a normal school. It took me 8 years to get because of my issues. It's one of the more pathetic aspects of my life instead of a point of pride. I am not successful and do seasonal work in my field.

• Hugs
Reactions: ooglah, LastFlowers, Disappointered and 6 others
A

AlwaysAnhedonia

Penchant for excess
Dec 14, 2021
I dropped out of HS with some college towards being an X-ray technician. Years of dealing with MDD and GAD, coupled with addiction issues ,left me sapped of motivation and energy to pursue a solid education. I agree with your hypothesis that most folks on here have probably dealt with years of mental and physical ailments throughout their lives, impacting the requisite drive to finish degree.

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, BeautifulMosaics, LastFlowers and 8 others
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

ā€œYe shall be as gods..šŸŽ šŸā€
Jun 22, 2021
Bachelors of science in Information systems. High diploma in massage therapy

• Hugs
Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears and Suicidebydeath
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
There was a psychologist or psychiatrist asking for advice here the other day. I forget the username but the thread was themed around being able to be honest with coworkers about being suicidal if I remember correctly. They were saying they can't be honest and have to take time from work in the best interests of their patients. Wish I could remember their name now. There are other details that have slipped my mind too but in the spirit of your thread/question I thought I'd share what I could as I found it quite interesting to find somebody from that profession speaking candidly here. I suspect there are other that lurk rather than speak up for fear of consequences to their career etc.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Disappointered, WearyHSP and 5 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
There was a psychologist or psychiatrist asking for advice here the other day. I foeget the username but the thread was themed around being able to be honest with coworkers about being suicidal if I remember correctly. They were saying they can't be honest and have to take time from work in the best interests of their patients. Wish I could remember their name now. There are other details that have slipped my mind too but in the spirit of your thread/question I thought I'd share what I could as I found it quite interesting to find somebody from that profession speaking candidly here. I suspect there are other that lurk rather than speak up for fear of consequences to their career etc.
You are probably right. Very interesting. I always was interested to communicate with a suicidal psychiatrist/psychologist. I even asked about one some time ago. Noone answered though.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Smart No More, Disappointered and 4 others
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
I graduated high school with honors. I went to university for about five years, but I was (am) too messed up to even get my bachelor's; it was just one crisis after another and I only ever got worse. I'm severely disabled and am completely unable to work, despite having tried for years and being put through hell by the system for being disabled and having the audacity to ask for medical and financial assistance.

I'm a native English speaker and I'm fluent in German and Swedish. Used to also be fluent in Spanish and Japanese but my cognition is in the shitter and I haven't had to use them very often, but I understand everything I read/hear. I can get by with French, Hebrew and Czech. I can also read and write Russian, Ukrainian, Arabic and Persian, but (aside from some common slavic words from the first two that are similar to those in Czech) I have no idea what the words actually mean.

I'd have a lot of potential if I weren't so ill and fucked up. I've done a lot of grieving over the years.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: chronicallybroken, Eternally Dottie, Zegers and 12 others
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
I know it is a weird question and probably noone is interested except me. How educated is the average member of this forum? I do not expect many suicidal doctors or professors in this forum. (Though fo example DFW was a professor and ctb.) I have met some witty people on here.
I could imagine two effects. Most of us have a broken health and suffer from several underlying conditions. Often this causes problems during time in college or even already in school. This is why I think the average SS member has less education than the average non-SS member.

However we are an international forum. People from non- native English speaking countries only have access when they understand English. (Though I think some people manage to communicate with google translator but this is only a minority or am I wrong?
I also encountered people who had better English skills than me but had horrible jobs in their country and I think less education. Many people are skilled by knowing at least one foreign language.

I'm a non-native English speaker from Europe, graduated with an honors degree in Business, IT, Tourism, and Accounting.
I work side jobs cause of an expired visa.
Always been suicidal and depressed, but my economical situation made it a million times worse.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: GoldLeafIndigo, WearyHSP, š–£“ nadia š–£“ and 5 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I only have a qualification somewhere between A-levels and a degree (between college and university). I quit two universities because it got too much and I had to run away from home. Coursework has always been really difficult for me, I blame the C-PTSD. I have a high IQ (above very gifted) and was academic, had no problems with schoolwork just struggled when I was at home and I really hated being at college and university.

I had poor school attendence and got A*s (grade above A where I am). I had poor college attendence and got B's. They gave me some mid-level qualification at university after I had to quit for various reasons. Basically the further away I got from primary/secondary education the worse my education problems landslided for me. Candle that burned bright and didn't last very long is me.

Talentwise, I focused on my hobby, and I've been #1 ranked world-wide gamer in maybe 100 different online games, I'm consistent at that. Mostly games relying more on strategy than skill although I've placed #1 every time with some hybrids. I was only skilled while young and would not rank as a top player on skill alone, e.g. in a FPS, but still good enough to beat all the gamers I knew in college, and uni too I guess. It did not bring me much enjoyment, imagine being accused of cheating all the time when you have C-PTSD and you're not cheating, I got triggered a lot lol.

My biggest regret is that I suck at learning languages. I don't know how y'all managed to get degrees and half-decent jobs, that's all amazing to me. I hate being around people, and I hate stress.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Gordy99, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Pen>Sword and 5 others
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I finished high school with honors and started higher studies in my hometown with a scholarship but I couldn't finish them due to major circumstances, I start them again where I'm now.

My parents always insisted on getting me into extracurricular activities so I completed courses in french, music, cooking and theater. I also studied english and japanese but I couldn't finish those courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, š–£“ nadia š–£“, LionsTigersAndBears and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I have very low intelligence, I failed education as I was not capable of any of that. I do not know any languages apart from English. I have always struggled to concentrate. I have no future, there is nothing that I want to do. The only option for me is death. I am not meant for this world.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, Meaninglessness, gomenasai and 13 others
gr1lledcheese

gr1lledcheese

Student
Dec 18, 2021

(One remark if this thread gets more attention than I thought and many see it I want to say sorry to all lurking doctors or professors. They must feel excluded by my words.)
Bachelors in English. Parents raised me to be a housewife (I'm divorced). I've always lacked direction in life, and now I'm approaching retirement unemployed and am unable to support myself.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WearyHSP, markimobzzdeasui, noname223 and 7 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
I'm a high school dropout and my iq is 85.

• Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, Ashu, Sherri and 5 others
JinZhin

JinZhin

we are in hell
Nov 2, 2021
HS graduate, currently working towards a bachelors in mathematics, will most likely ctb before i get it.
I used to be honors student in hs, I loved (still love) books and knowledge, and I used to read LOADS of books on various topics, All useless

I'm good at picking up languages,besides my own I learned English, some French, some Japanese and bit of Swedish,German etc. but it's like a low-effort hobby for me now so my language skills are subpar & I don't think I could be called 'skilled' as I never took official tests for certificates so... Useless as well
I fee like such an impostor, but I love(d) art. Would cry if I have to show it, so that's even more useless lol

In the end, I'm somewhat bright with possibility to get educated in the next few years, but I feel like it's wasted on me as I can't and don't want to go on living in this world

• Hugs
Reactions: GoldLeafIndigo, Suicidebydeath and š–£“ nadia š–£“
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
Formerly homeschooled, neglected education. I guess education of a fourth grader.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: 0000000000000, GoldLeafIndigo, gr1lledcheese and 3 others
UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
I have a Bachelors degree from a very selective college and a Masters degree from a different one.

Now that I collect a disability pension, it all seems like a bit of a waste.

I do think about getting another Masters in a related field, but it would only be for my personal growth. If the program requires a working component, I won't be able to complete it, which would suck.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and Suicidebydeath
t-rex

t-rex

Jan 8, 2022
I have a Masters in Computer Science. When I was young and in school I had no mental health problems at all. Those ambushed me around the age of 30, still trying to figure out why then. I had cancer when I was younger, maybe it had to do with that. I have not worked in a few years at all, which is miserable, but my depression is so bad I can't seem to do it. Have tried to go back into IT work several times and keep failing. I used to be pretty competent and contentā€¦ then one day I woke up and had an existential crisis and realized how meaningless my IT work was, and I've never been able to shake that feeling since. I just don't give a shit about computers anymore, at all. That I ever liked computers is now strange to me.

I think by this point there's no going back to my old career and I have to give it up completely. Need to reinvent myself, if only I wasn't so goddamn depressedā€¦

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: JealousOfTheElderly, GoldLeafIndigo, 710 and 3 others
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
I have an associates (2 yr degree) which took me 7 years to complete. I want to go back to school but my mental health won't tolerate it. And unfortunately only speak one language.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, Suicidebydeath and š–£“ nadia š–£“
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
I only have a qualification somewhere between A-levels and a degree (between college and university). I quit two universities because it got too much and I had to run away from home. Coursework has always been really difficult for me, I blame the C-PTSD. I have a high IQ (above very gifted) and was academic, had no problems with schoolwork just struggled when I was at home and I really hated being at college and university.

I had poor school attendence and got A*s (grade above A where I am). I had poor college attendence and got B's. They gave me some mid-level qualification at university after I had to quit for various reasons. Basically the further away I got from primary/secondary education the worse my education problems landslided for me. Candle that burned bright and didn't last very long is me.

Talentwise, I focused on my hobby, and I've been #1 ranked world-wide gamer in maybe 100 different online games, I'm consistent at that. Mostly games relying more on strategy than skill although I've placed #1 every time with some hybrids. I was only skilled while young and would not rank as a top player on skill alone, e.g. in a FPS, but still good enough to beat all the gamers I knew in college, and uni too I guess. It did not bring me much enjoyment, imagine being accused of cheating all the time when you have C-PTSD and you're not cheating, I got triggered a lot lol.

My biggest regret is that I suck at learning languages. I don't know how y'all managed to get degrees and half-decent jobs, that's all amazing to me. I hate being around people, and I hate stress.
Gaming is the only escape I can afford right now. Wouldn't know what to do without my PS4.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223 and Suicidebydeath
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I did 4 years of university but dropped out due to anxiety. Ordinarily a person would have their bachelor's after 4 years but I took fewer credits per semester because my school was expensive.

I do speak 3 languages though.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ashu, WearyHSP, Suicidebydeath and 2 others
Insomniac

Insomniac

š”„ š”² š”± š”¦ š”° š”Ŗ
May 21, 2021
I have a degree in communication and marketing. Graduated 2 years ago, unemployed ever since. It took me 5 years to complete that degree because of anxiety. I'll be 25 this year.

I haven't applied for any job yet because I can't deal with the anxiety of making and sending resumes.
I did 4 years of university but dropped out due to anxiety. Ordinarily a person would have their bachelor's after 4 years but I took fewer credits per semester because my school was expensive.

I do speak 3 languages though.
Your anxiety must have been really bad for you to drop out after 4 whole years of effort :(

• Love
Reactions: Ashu, LastFlowers, WearyHSP and 2 others
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft Ć¼ber verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
My highest educational achievement is the Matura, which is the exam you need to take in Austria in order to be elligable for studying at a uni. I'm not that smart tho, so I never bothered signing up for uni afterwards.

• Hugs
Reactions: Ashu, LastFlowers and WearyHSP
C

Cheza_mus

Experienced
Jul 1, 2021
I have a bachelor's degree in Quantity Surveying... I speak English and Chinese language

Reactions: Ashu and WearyHSP
*Psyche*

*Psyche*

Someday, I hope to see you in the light.
Dec 10, 2021
I graduated high school with honors. I went to university for about five years, but I was (am) too messed up to even get my bachelor's; it was just one crisis after another and I only ever got worse. I'm severely disabled and am completely unable to work, despite having tried for years and being put through hell by the system for being disabled and having the audacity to ask for medical and financial assistance.

I'm a native English speaker and I'm fluent in German and Swedish. Used to also be fluent in Spanish and Japanese but my cognition is in the shitter and I haven't had to use them very often, but I understand everything I read/hear. I can get by with French, Hebrew and Czech. I can also read and write Russian, Ukrainian, Arabic and Persian, but (aside from some common slavic words from the first two that are similar to those in Czech) I have no idea what the words actually mean.

I'd have a lot of potential if I weren't so ill and fucked up. I've done a lot of grieving over the years.
You're obviously wickedly smart & talented with linguistics! I feel you, though, on grief & depression affecting your ability to do anything at all. My best wishes to you on your journey.

• Love
Reactions: littlelungs