K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
Do you celebrate them with family and friends? just alone? or is it just another day for you?

Reactions: Circles, sadghost and Distopic
Distopic

Distopic

Jul 27, 2020
I never do nothing special on my birthday but is not a problem for me. I usually order a pizza and that's my celebration. I never do anything with my friends because I hate organizing things, It stresses me. For me being alive one more year is not a reason to be specially happy or proud.

Reactions: AprilsBlessings, _Minsk and sadghost
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
There aren't a lot of people left in my life so that sort of narrows options as far as birthday stuff. I might do something nice and quiet during the day or go out to eat with my boyfriend. Sometimes I'll order something for myself as a gift for making it another year.

They're pretty dark days, especially the last few. It's such a bummer scrapping for any kind of accomplishment or milestone that may have occurred during the previous year. We had a lot going on during my last birthday so it got sort of swept under the rug and I really enjoyed it. It was nice not having to pretend I was super jazzed about limping my way through another year for the sake of other people's emotions.

Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
Suicidal. I usually reopen my scars, wash off the blood, then fall asleep.

UPD.: ...I do not appreciate the "hug" reactions.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: almost_dead and Fragile
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
birthdays for me were always stressful. being a twin took away the meaning of the day and having it around mother's day meant it's always been shared with 2 other people.

any celebrations were never more then going out to eat. it shocked me to learn that some people go out to eat on a regular basis. it took a long time to not associate restaurants as a place to 'buy love'. even places like McDonald's or Wendy's.

now I do my best to make it another day because the expectations I want could only be met if I time traveled.

• Hugs
Reactions: Abgrundanziehung and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
I thought itd be a grand idea to make one of the biggest mistakes of my life on my 15th, so I get to "have a good time" for family and friends while trying to push a gut wrenching memory to the back of my mind.

L

Leshen

Oct 31, 2018
I curse the day I was born, I don't think it's something that should be celebrated.

Reactions: WOODESITY, Sarahlynn, PhilipBrush and 3 others
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I'm in a bad funk on b-days. Just proof that I've stuck around another year for no good reason other than not getting off the wheel. It's more miserable because in-laws are very huggy and all that. So normally I just want to be left alone.

• Hugs
Reactions: Abgrundanziehung
R

ryla2090

Student
Feb 22, 2020
Just with my immediate family, and it's a small affair, but it's enjoyable enough.

• Love
Reactions: Lorntroubles and Abgrundanziehung
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Nothing special, usually just stay at home and treat it as another regular day

Shinkansen

Shinkansen

life is pain
Jul 14, 2020
on my birthday I eat a cupcake, alone.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lorntroubles and Abgrundanziehung
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
On some years, I celebrate them, especially when I was younger. However, ever since I been to college, it's just been another day for me. Some years, I do take the time to celebrate them, either by buying something for myself (because I don't have many friends) and/or treating myself to dining out or what not.

Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
It used to be an intensely painful reminder of the fact I was brought into the world by two people who didn't have what it takes to be good parents, to put it kindly. Just hearing someone say happy birthday is so difficult because it is not a happy day for me. A couple years ago though, I found out that my birthday falls on Krampusnacht (Krampus Night) in some countries. I love the folklore around krampus and the wonderfully dark alternative to the commercialized American version of Christmas. Now I just sort of celebrate that instead, and I genuinely enjoy the day somewhat now. They actually have celebrations with parades of people dressed as krampus a few hours drive away from me, and if I make it that long, I want to go to one for my birthday this year.

Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
I honestly have no IRL friends, at least no real friends. I have mixed feelings against the only person I can meet in person, they are not in vain.

The point is that my birthday is just a normal day, nothing changes. Although it really bothers me to be years old, since as I get older it is more visible that my life is not worth it, it just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Skathon
weird_wannabe

weird_wannabe

Jul 31, 2020
I prefer to do nothing, but people who know it's my birthday get really clingy and tell me to smile more and go out more and such, it just feels off because suddenly everyone's jumping around me and tries to make me feel special? And receiving presents is honestly embarrassing (I don't want to be a bother and I don't deserve them anyway). It makes me feel really guilty for being so annoyed at people, they either just want to be nice or want me to feel special, and there's nothing bad about it
That's just something I've disliked since 12, realized I don't like being the center of attention. So I don't mention my birthday to people who don't remember it or don't even know the day
Also turning a year older makes me feel a lot more depressed, the voice "I'm now X years old and I'm still a failure "gets really hard to ignore, my youth years are fleeting away and I wasted so much time on nothing. Literally nothing

Reactions: Grav and Kain10th
PhilipBrush

PhilipBrush

Jun 11, 2020
Even my own mother doesn't remember my birthday. So I know it's not worth celebrating. I just buy a bottle of vodka, drink till I pass out, wake up and get on with another day.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Skathon and XYZ
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Yeah, I have a very little celebration with loved ones. It's more for them than for me at this point.

Reactions: searchingfreedom, XYZ and ocd is bad
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Since I am a recluse, and quite incapacitated by my health issues, I "celebrate it" alone. It's just another day. I used to love birthdays though.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I celebrate separately with my family and then with my friends. My most recent birthday was right before things start going south with the worldwide pandemic so i got to hang out with a bunch of my friends at once (10 total) We went to Olive Garden as a joke (because of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie) and all had a great time.
That said, I still felt pretty depressed the whole time internally that I was turning 26 and still never had a girlfriend. I was just really good at hiding it I guess.

Sarahlynn

Sarahlynn

Deep breath, stand back, it's time.
Aug 19, 2020
I curse the day I was born, I don't think it's something that should be celebrated.
Agree, I loathe (my own) birthdays. I never wanted to be born, and it is nothing that should be celebrated. As a kid I hated the attention.

I usually still have a small dinner or something with my parents, because they really want to. I want them to be happy, so I let them buy me some gifts and cook me a meal/take me out, as I know it is making them happy, and that is one of the few good feelings I still have left, making other people happy. But big parties or celebrations are not happening.

Tabbyql

Tabbyql

Chronic people pleaser
Mar 13, 2019
I usually would of celebrated with family in the day then go out wiv mates at night. But last couple of years I just haven't. Most my family don't bother to even text. I don't see my mates much, and they know I can't go out and be around people. My bf actually got the day wrong last year and I literally sat alone all day. He doesn't make any effort usually anyways. My mate did offer take me out 4 meal when he heard I had bin forgotten, but I just couldn't do it. I'm guessing will be same again this year. If I'm around.

Misery99

Misery99

Student
May 12, 2020
My birthday is just another day for me. Actually birthday is a more depressing day for me because it reminds me that I'm getting older and wasted another year of my life. My siblings don't even remember my birthday most of the time even though I remember all of their birthdays.I get no surprise birthday parties or gifts like other people so I just spend that day feeling sad and worthless.I hate birthdays.

Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
They're pretty decent. I go out with my family to get my favourite food, usually either Mongolian BBQ or Persian food, and ice-cream cake from DQ. Very rarely, I'll do stuff with friends but it's been many years since I have.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
I've never really celebrated my own birthday - never seen the purpose of it or "believed" in it even from a young age. To me birthday's are just another one of those annual rituals that we do just for the sake of doing.

There was 1 time in my young adulthood were I tried to celebrate my birthday; thought I might as well try it out for once just to see what it was like... It wasn't very fun. Most of the other kids that I was around at the time had groups of close friends, and families that would come together each year to celebrate them. I thought my birthday would be the same, but it wasn't. When the day came no one realised it was my birthday; no well-wishing, no celebration, nothing. I felt so low. Unwanted. And that's when I remembered why I hate my birthday.

MorningstarMornings

MorningstarMornings

leave a beautiful corpse
Aug 20, 2020
I avoid my birthday. A week before my 15 my life changed. My birthday is just a reminder that I'd rather not have.

VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
i'll just go out with my immediate family members to a restaurant or something. as of late, though, i've just wanted to get some takeout or money, as selfish as that sounds. i just feel like parties and the songs are all useless.

Zorya

Zorya

Aug 21, 2020
Small party at my mother's place, just both of us. Occasional phone call/gift from my godmother.

searchingfreedom

searchingfreedom

Jun 5, 2020
I absolutely dread my birthday. A day that I desperately wish never happened.

Reactions: Skathon and dieornottodie
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
On my birthday my mum feels sorry for me that I have no friends so takes me out to dinner.. isn't that sad

Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
Mine are normally celebrated by my entire family, thing is I don't like all the attention and the presents they get me don't really bring me joy.