WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I really don't know what to do study for college and I am completely lost in what I want in life. I believe that I am a pretty fragile and weak person who is incapable of doing most things so that is a really hard barrier to get past when I am considering what to do study for college. I am in my 2nd year right now but taking 1st year CS classes (last year I was taking prerequisites) and I have discovered that I do not like CS. My parents believe that I have just wasted a year and I am feeling pressure by just about everybody to quickly figure out what I want to do in college. Information Systems is a possibility but I am not interested in business, but it's what I've been told is good for a CS major who does not like CS but wants to do something related in that field. I was also thinking about English because I feel like my brain is better suited for liberal arts but there's no real work in that field besides teaching.

Advisors aren't of any help to me either so far... please help, for those who have struggled with college or have even felt suicidal about it, what path did you choose? Were you as lost as me? I am scared...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: chloramine, EternalShore, Freyja13 and 2 others
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
Accounting - You'll always have a well-paying job

Let us know what your best classes were and what kind of job setting you'd like. That way I can suggest more. Also, how long you want to be in college

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore, UnwillingSavior and WhatPowerIs
P

poached

Dec 4, 2023
Take a personality test.

Maybe your school counseling office gives them or you could take an online mbti test.

The goal is to find out what kind of work would match your personality and leave you the most satisfied.

Reactions: WhatPowerIs
themisfell

themisfell

May 31, 2023
I really don't know what to do study for college and I am completely lost in what I want in life. I believe that I am a pretty fragile and weak person who is incapable of doing most things so that is a really hard barrier to get past when I am considering what to do study for college. I am in my 2nd year right now but taking 1st year CS classes (last year I was taking prerequisites) and I have discovered that I do not like CS. My parents believe that I have just wasted a year and I am feeling pressure by just about everybody to quickly figure out what I want to do in college. Information Systems is a possibility but I am not interested in business, but it's what I've been told is good for a CS major who does not like CS but wants to do something related in that field. I was also thinking about English because I feel like my brain is better suited for liberal arts but there's no real work in that field besides teaching.

Advisors aren't of any help to me either so far... please help, for those who have struggled with college or have even felt suicidal about it, what path did you choose? Were you as lost as me? I am scared...
Take a wide range of gen-eds and find what interests you most. You'll be required to take them regardless most likely in your degree program. If you're already struggling with mental health, don't force yourself to go into a degree you find "profitable"... you'll only make yourself more miserable. ofc try and figure out a plan, don't waste your time, but profitiability < not wanting to die because you hate your job

Reactions: WhatPowerIs and poached
T

Thia

recovering
Nov 24, 2023
I am not sure if I am the right person to reply, since I am still in uni myself. But if you have access to a university library, flipping through some introductory first-year textbooks in each field might give you an idea of what to expect. This does have its downsides, but it is at least quicker than taking classes.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Do they have any job search/placement department? I know a tech school by me had tons of info on job & personality, salaries, employment prospects, etc. The university I went to had the hype on History majors (mine) and guess what? Teaching or law school. Wow the choices were abundant! Knowing now what I do I would have gone to tech school. I did well in school but my interests weren't in business, and I tried CS since I was already working in data processing, so I just stuck with History since I liked it. In the end a big waste of money. So if you can get your hands on, or talk to someone, a means of finding what you would enjoy doing and how those things pay out that will be best IMO. My daughter graduated and her Criminal Justice degree isn't really too valuable unless you'll be a cop, which she doesn't want to do. So we're talking about going to tech school for something she'd like more. Yep a bunch of $$ she'll be paying back now and money she got from us gone, but if she can course correct now it can stave off 30+ years of working a job she hates.

Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
Can you turn your CS degree into a minor, so the time you spent feels less "wasted"?

What do you dislike about CS?

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023

What don't you like about CS?

I am switching out of CS to MCB right now. It is easy to convince parents because they think it's for the sake of becoming a doctor (it's not). It's okay to not know what to do yet, just try to do it in a community college instead of a 4 year university...

English majors make good money in certain fields. UX writer.
Do they have any job search/placement department? I know a tech school by me had tons of info on job & personality, salaries, employment prospects, etc. The university I went to had the hype on History majors (mine) and guess what? Teaching or law school. Wow the choices were abundant! Knowing now what I do I would have gone to tech school. I did well in school but my interests weren't in business, and I tried CS since I was already working in data processing, so I just stuck with History since I liked it. In the end a big waste of money. So if you can get your hands on, or talk to someone, a means of finding what you would enjoy doing and how those things pay out that will be best IMO. My daughter graduated and her Criminal Justice degree isn't really too valuable unless you'll be a cop, which she doesn't want to do. So we're talking about going to tech school for something she'd like more. Yep a bunch of $$ she'll be paying back now and money she got from us gone, but if she can course correct now it can stave off 30+ years of working a job she hates.
Yeah this can become a problem. I'd suggest looking into what job you want and choose the major from there, not the other way around. University is 4 years, job is 50 years.

Let us know what your best classes were and what kind of job setting you'd like. That way I can suggest more. Also, how long you want to be in college
It's important to assess how much the field will change due to AI. Accounting is at higher risk of being automated, so the material that will be learned from the college could become obsolete. https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/accountants-and-auditors

Last edited:
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022

I can't really tell you what my best classes were in college, they were all either really easy or really hard. I guess maybe it would be easier to tell you the classes I liked best and performed best in high school, which was usually English. I can't really think of any other classes. Historically I have always performed pretty poorly in math, and while I liked history, it isn't really something I thought I would see myself studying in the future. I wasn't good at nor was I interested in the sciences.
As for how long I would like to be in college, I would preferably like to be out of college in the shortest time possible but I have been failing lots of my classes and having to retake them so this is becoming a slimmer and slimmer possibility. It is a big reason for my depressive / suicidal thoughts.

Take a personality test.

Maybe your school counseling office gives them or you could take an online mbti test.

The goal is to find out what kind of work would match your personality and leave you the most satisfied.
My university's career center offered a personality test, or some kind of career aptitude test which would best configure my results for my future. I am not sure as to the accuracy of the results, but here is what it provided me when I took it a month or two ago.

The top careers it provided me were: Games Tester, Game Level Designer, Game Producer, Office Clerk, Computer Programmer, Network Administrator, Cybercrime Investigator, Video Game Creative Director, Systems Administrator, Social Media Manager, Quality Assurance Analyst, IT Security Consultant, Commercial Artist, Full Stack Developer, Front-End Developer

The top degrees it provided me were: Game Design, Cyber Security, Library and Archives Assisting, Literature, Computer Graphics, Web Design, Animation, Psychology, Psychotherapy, Interactive Media, Organizational Behavior, Ethics

As you can see, it provided me a lot of computer science related fields of study and careers which is weird because this is what I specifically wanted to veer away from. In the personality test I reacted very strongly to questions which dealt with working with others, because I prefer doing work alone in school and I thought that maybe it would be best if I could work alone when I transition into a career as well, but it still gave me CS related stuff, which I don't get because a lot of CS seems to be working with other people - at least that's what my CS professor tells me.

Should I take this career aptitude test again? Do you have any tests to recommend besides the MBTI test?

Take a wide range of gen-eds and find what interests you most. You'll be required to take them regardless most likely in your degree program. If you're already struggling with mental health, don't force yourself to go into a degree you find "profitable"... you'll only make yourself more miserable. ofc try and figure out a plan, don't waste your time, but profitiability < not wanting to die because you hate your job
I already took gen eds classes last year, and they didn't really give me a good basis of what to go off of. My experience in my English 102 class, for example, was horrible, and I dealt with a truly terrible professor who didn't cultivate any desire to learn or to improve - I found her really cruel, and the other students in my class seemed to have thought the same. I do agree with what you are getting at though, I would hate to get into a career that makes me miserable just as school is making me miserable too... it's just tough trying to find something that actually speaks with me. Depression is making me interested in fewer and fewer things, and school is also making me take a hit to my self-esteem - not even the school counselors are really of much help in this regard but maybe I just need to talk to them more...

I am not sure if I am the right person to reply, since I am still in uni myself. But if you have access to a university library, flipping through some introductory first-year textbooks in each field might give you an idea of what to expect. This does have its downsides, but it is at least quicker than taking classes.
Thanks, I can try looking into this. It sounds time-consuming however but so is college in general unfortunately :( Is this something that you did, flipping through textbooks before you found something you liked?

There is a career center and an exploratory degree advising center, the latter of whom I have been in contact with and the former has told me to only seek them out when I am seeking jobs - they cannot be of much help for me academic-wise. My exploratory advisor was able to narrow it down to "Information Systems" and "English". I see what you mean regarding degrees that aren't of much use though... this is such a massive headache.

Can you turn your CS degree into a minor, so the time you spent feels less "wasted"?

What do you dislike about CS?
So my advisor is telling me to switch into Information Systems because the introductory CS course I am taking will count towards it. I was thinking about taking a cybersecurity minor but I am unsure about really committing to it, my cybersecurity class was rough this semester because the class changed professors and the next professor that came in doesn't really seem like he knows what he is doing and in the end I did not learn much about cybersecurity at all, it felt like.

As for what I dislike about CS, I really just don't like programming in general and the way the program is structured at my university is really math-heavy, and I am really terrible at math. I thought I could get by with computer science because I already use computers so much but in the end I really didn't like how it turned out at all, I do feel like I wasted my time and I hate myself a lot for it. Sorry...

I am switching out of CS to MCB right now. It is easy to convince parents because they think it's for the sake of becoming a doctor (it's not). It's okay to not know what to do yet, just try to do it in a community college instead of a 4 year university...

English majors make good money in certain fields. UX writer.

Yeah this can become a problem. I'd suggest looking into what job you want and choose the major from there, not the other way around. University is 4 years, job is 50 years.

What is MCB and what do you mean it isn't for the sake of becoming a doctor? Unfortunately, I am committed to a 4 year university right now. I really do wish I had gone into a community college, or perhaps no college at all given how depressed I have been since enrolling, but I had gotten a nice honor diploma coming out of high school, a high GPA, and a scholarship. I ended up losing that scholarship due to poor grades, I am now getting by through financial aid - sorry I have limited so many of your options here, it seems like my situation is becoming more and more hopeless...

What is a UX writer? And as for searching for a job I'd like to do instead, my view is murky there also... I just don't know what, because it is hard for me to conceive of these jobs, something I can see myself doing for 50 years.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
What is MCB and what do you mean it isn't for the sake of becoming a doctor? Unfortunately, I am committed to a 4 year university right now. I really do wish I had gone into a community college, or perhaps no college at all given how depressed I have been since enrolling, but I had gotten a nice honor diploma coming out of high school, a high GPA, and a scholarship. I ended up losing that scholarship due to poor grades, I am now getting by through financial aid - sorry I have limited so many of your options here, it seems like my situation is becoming more and more hopeless...

What is a UX writer? And as for searching for a job I'd like to do instead, my view is murky there also... I just don't know what, because it is hard for me to conceive of these jobs, something I can see myself doing for 50 years.
MCB = molecular and cell biology. A user experience (UX) writer creates content, including copies and interface texts for web experiences and products aimed at helping users navigate the product. In a narrower sense, a UX writer focuses on specific elements, such as menus, labels, error messages, or chatbots.

You can always go to CC right now. Nothing stops you. Take a gap semester in uni?

WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
MCB = molecular and cell biology. A user experience (UX) writer creates content, including copies and interface texts for web experiences and products aimed at helping users navigate the product. In a narrower sense, a UX writer focuses on specific elements, such as menus, labels, error messages, or chatbots.

You can always go to CC right now. Nothing stops you. Take a gap semester in uni?
Maybe that could be good for me. Someone I know in Information Systems told me I could do a dual-enrollment into the community college and take the prerequisite business classes for that major online through the community college. As for taking a gap semester, I'm not sure... I know it's just a semester, but I saw a lot of people took gap years in uni for a break, and one year turned into two, two to three, three to four, etc. I am scared of letting myself slip. I am, well, not really a hard-worker at all and I like to take the easy path, or the path of least resistance, when it comes to school and I have been doing so since the time I was first able to start using the computer.
But I will take everything you said into consideration. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy MCB.

UnwillingSavior

UnwillingSavior

Mr. Self Destruct
Nov 2, 2023
I think what helped me a bit was seeing the upper level work for different fields. What does it look like and what is the general difficulty? What fields and specializations are there for a particular major? For instance, I switched from electrical engineering to mechanical because of a good professor who explained well what kind of subjects would be emphasized in upper division courses, and subsequently, what you'd do in your job. I realized it wasnt for me and dove into Mech. Eng. (ME). I've always been into car machinery, so I'm looking to get into the automotive field :P.

Additionally, the intellect and soft skills required for a very technical person as yourself (from what I see!) can be virtually applied anywhere, so don't be afraid of being stuck in one spot :).

P

poached

Dec 4, 2023
wasted my time and I hate myself a lot for it. Sorry...
If you are university aged you aren't wasting time looking for a career you' won't be miserable in for fifty years.

The reason you may be getting English suggestions is that writers can spend a lot of time alone.

As for business majors, not all business majors are the same. Many of them will put you in sales where you would have to interact with others. Finance with a good GPA, financial analyst, or accounting might work.

Keep in mind that being part of a small team of computer people isn't the same thing as working with the general public at large (imagine hospitality or customer service).

Depending on how alone you want to be there are trades like truck driving and electrician that don't require a college degree.

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
One thing I was looking at as a career, and would match my writing skills with tech was a technical writer. Speaking for my company alone they dumped all that 10+ years ago. With bots and overseas workers it may be a dying market here. Others can speak to this more but to me being in tech means constant learning, "like doing tech". Personally for me I don't like tech, I'm just good at it but that means I don't spend the extra time really getting good. We have people who love it and are really good but that's not me, it's a job and I'm counting down the years assuming a bus doesn't come along sooner.

As one who spent $ on my kid's college, yes I'd like her to work in the major we/she bought but I also don't want her in my spot, so we'll probably just eat it and move on. It would be nice if schools would provide more info on careers and future schooling so you're not burning through money deciding what you want to do. Besides English do you have any "things" you like to do? Would it be worth looking at a tech/trade school? My nephew was a Journalism major, did that for a few years and saw the market, now he's working for a construction company. He liked to build and tinker, and being more clued in to business than many of his coworkers, has moved up pretty quickly. Just some other things to think about.

pinkbluebutch

pinkbluebutch

Dec 5, 2022

My great grandmother always told us "You work to live, you don't live to work," and I think it's important to keep in mind that you don't need to be in love with your job, it helps yes but at the end of the day your job should not be your life. I know university is expensive and so the prospect of taking more time to finish can be hard, but I would really recommend taking time off or changing to something completely different and seeing how you feel about it. My recommendation as a university student about to graduate is to try taking some non-required classes in a subject that interests you, maybe thats anthropology, literature, or linguistics. If you're having a hard time with school, do try to choose a subject that doesn't require a master's for a career (as an anth major, most jobs in the field require a masters or phd).

Also, I promise there's jobs in English aside from teaching. You can be an editor, writer, public relations manager, etc, it's all about how you are able to advertise yourself in a resume and job application. If these interest you, try getting a job at your school related to them and see how you feel, most school newspapers hire editors and if you already have a job you could look into helping them start a social media identity or managing that identity, etc etc.

If you do need to take time off from school, try to score a job where you can spin it to your benefit, something that will help you understand yourself and your interests rather than the first job that pays the bills (if you can afford to do this, of course, no judgment if not, everyone has different circumstances and not everyone has the luxury of doing so).

I hope you don't get too hopeless about it all, school can be really difficult, especially for depressed people like those on this forum, and I applaud you for making it as far as you have so far and reaching out for help with this rather than graduating and being miserable with your job.

Reactions: Little_Suzy
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
Maybe that could be good for me. Someone I know in Information Systems told me I could do a dual-enrollment into the community college and take the prerequisite business classes for that major online through the community college. As for taking a gap semester, I'm not sure... I know it's just a semester, but I saw a lot of people took gap years in uni for a break, and one year turned into two, two to three, three to four, etc. I am scared of letting myself slip. I am, well, not really a hard-worker at all and I like to take the easy path, or the path of least resistance, when it comes to school and I have been doing so since the time I was first able to start using the computer.
But I will take everything you said into consideration. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy MCB.
For my university we're restricted to one semester with it that has no formal procedures, anything after that we have a formal process. So it's much easier to just do one gap semester.

EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ 💕✨
Jun 9, 2023
I would look at a career that looks tolerable and choose the rest from there! :)

• Love
Reactions: Little_Suzy and Grav
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
Should I take this career aptitude test again? Do you have any tests to recommend besides the MBTI test?
My college's career test rather sucked~
I liked this one: https://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/personality_test.pl
:D It has a bunch of different personality stuff on it and even says what careers might be good for you! ^_^ While my MBTI part was more than likely inaccurate, the career part was actually pretty good and had a lot of careers I was at least somewhat interested in! hehe~ :)

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
This thread is awesome, and everyone contributed valuable information!

Twenty years ago, I saw women forced into tech, but they persevered and created successful careers.

My spouse works in tech. Though he doesn't have a mental illness, tech is a great work-life balance for people with depression.

Realistically, if you are failing courses, you should prioritize your mental health and choose a career in which the two can coexist harmoniously.

Conduct research on viable occupations for those with depression.

This is the most important consideration if you want to stay employed.

What type of work can I do without exacerbating my depression?

If you want to be a writer, choose one discipline and become an expert in it. As a hobbyist sommelier, I can write about wines and wine tourism. During the winter break, write a good article and see where it leads you. I wish you the best!

leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
Go on indeed and look at the actual job offers in your area. Now look at the ones that pay above minimum wage and those are your options. But generally, medical field and skilled trades can't be a wrong pick. I would also recommend googling top jobs that are going to replaced by AI in the near future.

WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I think what helped me a bit was seeing the upper level work for different fields. What does it look like and what is the general difficulty? What fields and specializations are there for a particular major? For instance, I switched from electrical engineering to mechanical because of a good professor who explained well what kind of subjects would be emphasized in upper division courses, and subsequently, what you'd do in your job. I realized it wasnt for me and dove into Mech. Eng. (ME). I've always been into car machinery, so I'm looking to get into the automotive field :P.

Additionally, the intellect and soft skills required for a very technical person as yourself (from what I see!) can be virtually applied anywhere, so don't be afraid of being stuck in one spot :).
Thank you, I guess I'll have to research the upper division courses as well... I wouldn't really call myself a technical kind of person at all. I just feel like these are the only options available to me because my mom has pushed me into engineering from a very young age (even though I had no interest in it) and all my life I was told that STEM was the only real option I have in order to make money.

One thing I was looking at as a career, and would match my writing skills with tech was a technical writer. Speaking for my company alone they dumped all that 10+ years ago. With bots and overseas workers it may be a dying market here. Others can speak to this more but to me being in tech means constant learning, "like doing tech". Personally for me I don't like tech, I'm just good at it but that means I don't spend the extra time really getting good. We have people who love it and are really good but that's not me, it's a job and I'm counting down the years assuming a bus doesn't come along sooner.

As one who spent $ on my kid's college, yes I'd like her to work in the major we/she bought but I also don't want her in my spot, so we'll probably just eat it and move on. It would be nice if schools would provide more info on careers and future schooling so you're not burning through money deciding what you want to do. Besides English do you have any "things" you like to do? Would it be worth looking at a tech/trade school? My nephew was a Journalism major, did that for a few years and saw the market, now he's working for a construction company. He liked to build and tinker, and being more clued in to business than many of his coworkers, has moved up pretty quickly. Just some other things to think about.
Sorry, I can't say there's anything that I like to do either. The best time to have been thinking about that kind of stuff would have been high school, but my high school years were afflicted by COVID and I spent a lot of it wallowing in depression so I never really figured out any passions or things of that nature that I would have naturally liked to lead up on in college or some other kind of school. Now it sort of just feels like it's too late. You have listed some options though, they are also worth looking into - sounds like the people in your life have their stuff sorted out? If they had one thing that were studying but they didn't like it they had some other skill or knack or talent to fall back on?

My great grandmother always told us "You work to live, you don't live to work," and I think it's important to keep in mind that you don't need to be in love with your job, it helps yes but at the end of the day your job should not be your life. I know university is expensive and so the prospect of taking more time to finish can be hard, but I would really recommend taking time off or changing to something completely different and seeing how you feel about it. My recommendation as a university student about to graduate is to try taking some non-required classes in a subject that interests you, maybe thats anthropology, literature, or linguistics. If you're having a hard time with school, do try to choose a subject that doesn't require a master's for a career (as an anth major, most jobs in the field require a masters or phd).

Also, I promise there's jobs in English aside from teaching. You can be an editor, writer, public relations manager, etc, it's all about how you are able to advertise yourself in a resume and job application. If these interest you, try getting a job at your school related to them and see how you feel, most school newspapers hire editors and if you already have a job you could look into helping them start a social media identity or managing that identity, etc etc.

If you do need to take time off from school, try to score a job where you can spin it to your benefit, something that will help you understand yourself and your interests rather than the first job that pays the bills (if you can afford to do this, of course, no judgment if not, everyone has different circumstances and not everyone has the luxury of doing so).

I hope you don't get too hopeless about it all, school can be really difficult, especially for depressed people like those on this forum, and I applaud you for making it as far as you have so far and reaching out for help with this rather than graduating and being miserable with your job.
Unfortunately at the point I am at in university I am told I must declare a major soon because I am reaching a certain credit threshold so it is very difficult for me to take non-required classes in subjects that interest me... if I didn't have to declare a major and I had some time to explore I would have liked to do that but it looks like that time is running out (and I already spent a lot of that time last year looking into courses like Sociology or Political Theory, neither of which really interested me as something that I would like to dedicate four years of study to but found the coursework easy, if overwhelming).

I think finding a job if I were to take some time off of school would be a good thing, it would be nice to have some money that I can spend stuff on. Thank you for applauding me but, it is hard to feel like I have come so far because I hear so many other university students juggling their mental health, work life, and school life all at the same time and they seem to be doing fine grades-wise meanwhile I have virtually no worries besides school and I feel really guilty about complaining about this stuff. This is why I like to keep a lot of this stuff private and only vent on the forum because it is the only place I can go to without feeling judged. Or maybe I am being judged and I just don't know it, I don't know. But thank you.

My college's career test rather sucked~
I liked this one: https://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/personality_test.pl
:D It has a bunch of different personality stuff on it and even says what careers might be good for you! ^_^ While my MBTI part was more than likely inaccurate, the career part was actually pretty good and had a lot of careers I was at least somewhat interested in! hehe~ :)
Thank you for your kindness. The link you sent me didn't work and when I tried going to the website SimilarMinds it looks like they offered a bunch of personality tests, I'm not sure which one it is... can you help me here? Thank you in advance! Did this career test help you find a major that you were suited for?

It seems like everybody in the thread seems to have everything figured out, thank you...

• Hugs
Reactions: pinkbluebutch and EternalShore
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
Thank you for your kindness. The link you sent me didn't work and when I tried going to the website SimilarMinds it looks like they offered a bunch of personality tests, I'm not sure which one it is... can you help me here? Thank you in advance! Did this career test help you find a major that you were suited for?
https://similarminds.com/personality_test.html Sorry about the earlier link! >_<
It didn't help me find a career, but it gives you career options at the end, and I found most of them to be ones I very much would like to do if I wasn't doing my one! xD

It seems like everybody in the thread seems to have everything figured out, thank you...
Just reminding you that we're all on a sewer slide forum~ Same as you! xD

themisfell

themisfell

May 31, 2023
I definitely think it's less we all have it figured out, and more "the grass is greener on the other side". Piggybacking off what the last person said, this is a suicide forum but I doubt there's many people who enjoy the idea of people suffering, and a large part of the population of this website are older. Just wanna give you some advice and hope it helps ^^

• Hugs
Reactions: chloramine, UnwillingSavior, EternalShore and 1 other person
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I definitely think it's less we all have it figured out, and more "the grass is greener on the other side". Piggybacking off what the last person said, this is a suicide forum but I doubt there's many people who enjoy the idea of people suffering, and a large part of the population of this website are older. Just wanna give you some advice and hope it helps ^^
https://similarminds.com/personality_test.html Sorry about the earlier link! >_<
It didn't help me find a career, but it gives you career options at the end, and I found most of them to be ones I very much would like to do if I wasn't doing my one! xD

Just reminding you that we're all on a sewer slide forum~ Same as you! xD
I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I understand that we are all suffering, just in our own ways. I got caught up in suffering through college, though I suppose many don't see it as suffering - I know some even enjoy it and considered it the best years of their life. I feel an intense pressure from my family on getting a worthwhile degree and transitioning into a high-paying career, failure to not live up to these standards seems so terrible and it always felt like the best alternative was dying. Thank you all for your help though, I'm going to take this day by day and try to find something reasonable…

Thank you for the link. Also sidenote you remind me of someone who talks to an online friend of mine on another social media site, similar typing style. Probably coincidence though, it's unique and something that makes you you, so it is good to hold onto that.

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalShore
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I understand that we are all suffering, just in our own ways. I got caught up in suffering through college, though I suppose many don't see it as suffering - I know some even enjoy it and considered it the best years of their life. I feel an intense pressure from my family on getting a worthwhile degree and transitioning into a high-paying career, failure to not live up to these standards seems so terrible and it always felt like the best alternative was dying. Thank you all for your help though, I'm going to take this day by day and try to find something reasonable…
yeahhh :( Well, those people are wrong and complete jerks who live the high life all the time~ I wish my life was good too~ But Good luck with all you do! ^_^ Parental expectations do cause a lot of suffering unfortunately :( I hate them~ ig, my parents don't really care about my job anymore like yours, but the gendered expectations are what does it for me... :(((

Thank you for the link. Also sidenote you remind me of someone who talks to an online friend of mine on another social media site, similar typing style. Probably coincidence though, it's unique and something that makes you you, so it is good to hold onto that.
huh, that's nice! :) hehe~ Does that person have Twitter or Discord? I'm both of those! xD Then again, I talk about sewer slide a whole lot on both, so it'd be rather easy to notice~

WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
yeahhh :( Well, those people are wrong and complete jerks who live the high life all the time~ I wish my life was good too~ But Good luck with all you do! ^_^ Parental expectations do cause a lot of suffering unfortunately :( I hate them~ ig, my parents don't really care about my job anymore like yours, but the gendered expectations are what does it for me... :(((
Sounds like in some ways your parents do expect something out of you but for different reasons. I'm sorry. It's so painful. Just having to deal with it at all is incredibly stressful.
huh, that's nice! :) hehe~ Does that person have Twitter or Discord? I'm both of those! xD Then again, I talk about sewer slide a whole lot on both, so it'd be rather easy to notice~
Yep, he is my friend on Twitter. Well, not sure if he considers me a friend, but I feel like I know him intimately because he vents a lot. He's suffering a lot too, health conditions and stuff :(

• Hugs
EternalShore

EternalShore

Jun 9, 2023
Yep, he is my friend on Twitter. Well, not sure if he considers me a friend, but I feel like I know him intimately because he vents a lot. He's suffering a lot too, health conditions and stuff :(
oooo. Can you dm me who it is? :3 Or let me dm you someone who I think you might be speaking of~ hehe~ cuz I wanna know now! >_<

WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
oooo. Can you dm me who it is? :3 Or let me dm you someone who I think you might be speaking of~ hehe~ cuz I wanna know now! >_<
Okay!

In some other news related to the thread, I have two appointments set up with Information Systems and English advisors. Unfortunately one appointment is from 10 to 10:30 and then the next appointment is from 11 to 11:30 and I've asked both of them if I could reschedule but they're both booked until the next semester… I just hope the first one doesn't go on for too long. Neither degrees really interest me but I guess they seem like lesser evils (sorry to CS majors for saying that) compared to CS. Please if anyone else has other advice chime in and make yourself known.

• Hugs
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
College is a stepping stone to the next thing you want in life. Things aren't going to go exactly as you plan. The best thing to do is pick one (maybe 2) things that you want to be or do after college.
I've got degrees in cs, biochem, and financial engineering. The fun part is applying what you learnt.

I'd advise against something that you don't see applicable after college (the English major) as college is a stepping stone to being able to do interesting things.
Cs is fun. I got into it before college writing programs that played games for me.

Last edited:
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
I think any advice I could give has been said, but for what it's worth I don't think you wasted your time with CS. Even if it's not for you, the fact that you know that is information you didn't previously have and that's valuable. You've even identified why it doesn't fit you which means you can apply that going forward. I know there's a lot of pressure to have everything "figured out" but very few people really do. You're doing okay and you're not failing by looking and exploring. Also the government of Canada has a job site thing with a few quizzes that focus on different aspects of choosing a job (I know there's at least interests and abilities- can't remember the last one) that I'll link at the end. I hope you're able to find something that's sustainable and that improves your quality of life.