A

Alamonocuricu

Apr 23, 2021
I am currently 25 and never actually diagnosed with ADHD. However, I experienced most of the symptoms and I assume I have it. I have passed my hardest year struggling with it, though.

I have always been considered as an academically gifted child, and never had problems in school. I have always been the best in every class so I can see why people never see me as having trouble organizing my life or focusing on things.

The most severe time for me was when I work on my bachelor thesis. I was overly perfectionist, always confused, not realistic with my target, cannot stop reading the materials and busy finding too much data without actually start the writing until 1 year later. I was so anxious and stresses about starting it and procrastinate a lot. I also act very impulsively and having a lot of affairs that eventually ruin my relationships.

For the past 2 years, though, I feel like the symptoms are quite manageable. Sometimes I don't even think I still have ADHD anymore because of how high functioning and productive I am now.

However, I can see that the pattern is actually still quite fluctuative. I would have some period of several months of super high productivity, but then I would be like "off" For one month or so, where I would like mot aware of my surroundings and past time without realizing it. It's like I use the autopilot mode.

Another thing that still lingers and bother me a lot is I never have a regulae sleep schedule. I often become extremely hyperfocus that I would not sleep until 9 am or even 12 noon. I have poor self control, tend to binge eat and getting fat, and have failed to stop smoking eventhough I have wanted to stop since forever. I am also very slow in my effort to understand social cues better.

Sorry that this writing is super diorganized. I just want to know if there are any of you here who are also high functioning ADHD and how is your experience?

Thanks if you're willing to read and respond to this. :) cheers

Reactions: Celerity, demuic and JustAMatterOfTime
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
My therapist thinks I might have ADD, but we're not 100% sure and I'm going to ask my nurse practitioner in another week. I was also pretty good in school, but there were a few things that might point to ADD.

One thing was sometimes, when reading outloud and being asked questions about it, I would say idk because I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading. Another thing was that sometimes once a teacher or professor got through with giving instructions, I'd have to ask a classmate what the teacher or professor meant/said. Another thing is that sometimes it will take me several minutes to actually focus on an assignment I'd have to do. I can't just jump right in. Another thing was also forgetting most conversations that I have with people. There's a lot more that point to it, but these are some of the things that I did.

Reactions: demuic and Alamonocuricu
A

Alamonocuricu

Apr 23, 2021
My therapist thinks I might have ADD, but we're not 100% sure and I'm going to ask my nurse practitioner in another week. I was also pretty good in school, but there were a few things that might point to ADD.

One thing was sometimes, when reading outloud and being asked questions about it, I would say idk because I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading. Another thing was that sometimes once a teacher or professor got through with giving instructions, I'd have to ask a classmate what the teacher or professor meant/said. Another thing is that sometimes it will take me several minutes to actually focus on an assignment I'd have to do. I can't just jump right in. Another thing was also forgetting most conversations that I have with people. There's a lot more that point to it, but these are some of the things that I did.
It's so nice to have a therapist, I would like to consult with someone too, but sometimes I hesitate because I am afraid that the therapist would think of me as "looking" for non existent problems.

Btw, I also have very short term memory and always forget past conversations or even the people I talked with. I don't know that's also a symptom of ADD but thanks for the info.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic and Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
It's so nice to have a therapist, I would like to consult with someone too, but sometimes I hesitate because I am afraid that the therapist would think of me as "looking" for non existent problems.

Btw, I also have very short term memory and always forget past conversations or even the people I talked with. I don't know that's also a symptom of ADD but thanks for the info.
Maybe you could just tell them your symptoms without saying the disorder?

I feel so bad sometimes forgetting conversations. My friend poured her heart out to me a few days ago and I only remember about 10% of it :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Alamonocuricu and demuic
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I wish you luck. As someone seeking ADHD meds, I'm curious as to how they'll treat a good academic history. I suppose I could always lie.

Reactions: Alamonocuricu and Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I wish you luck. As someone seeking ADHD meds, I'm curious as to how they'll treat a good academic history. I suppose I could always lie.
I'm also wanting to try ADHD meds as I hate dealing with these symptoms, but I'm afraid my nurse practitioner is gonna say no because of my psychosis and mania. I also had a good academic history, but it was extra hard obtaining it as sometimes, it would take awhile to memorize things and it would take awhile to get focus on an assignment

Reactions: Alamonocuricu
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I'm also wanting to try ADHD meds as I hate dealing with these symptoms, but I'm afraid my nurse practitioner is gonna say no because of my psychosis and mania. I also had a good academic history, but it was extra hard obtaining it as sometimes, it would take awhile to memorize things and it would take awhile to get focus on an assignment
Ooh boy, that's tough. I'm not sure how someone who experiences mania would do on such drugs. I think I have heard of people w/ Bipolar & ADHD, so there must be some drug cocktail. The NP may refer you to a doc for such a case though. NPs tend to be a bit skiddish about this stuff.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Ooh boy, that's tough. I'm not sure how someone who experiences mania would do on such drugs. I think I have heard of people w/ Bipolar & ADHD, so there must be some drug cocktail. The NP may refer you to a doc for such a case though. NPs tend to be a bit skiddish about this stuff.
I heard there's a non stimulant, though not sure he would put me on it. I kinda want to try a stimulant, though a bit scared to experience more psychosis. I have Schizoaffective bipolar type. My NP is pretty good so I doubt he'll refer me to a psychiatrist

Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
I heard there's a non stimulant, though not sure he would put me on it. I kinda want to try a stimulant, though a bit scared to experience more psychosis. I have Schizoaffective bipolar type. My NP is pretty good so I doubt he'll refer me to a psychiatrist
Well, good luck in either case. I hope it works out for you.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Well, good luck in either case. I hope it works out for you.
Thanks :) I think the most annoying symptom for me is my short term memory and forgetting what people say in conversations

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Thanks :) I think the most annoying symptom for me is my short term memory and forgetting what people say in conversations
I don't typically do that, but then I don't have ADHD. I just want something to help me focus and to kill my useless libido.

Reactions: Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I don't typically do that, but then I don't have ADHD. I just want something to help me focus and to kill my useless libido.
My libido is okay, but my focus sucks sometimes. When in person conversation with someone, I'll sometimes be thinking about other things

• Love
A

Alamonocuricu

Apr 23, 2021
Yes this is indeed annoying. I often introduce my self again and again to the person that I have met once or even twice. The worse part is they remember me well so it was kinda awkward.

I also sometimes forget my feeling (?) I don't know if it makes sense. Sometimes like I get very emotional and tell my friend about it and when they start to emphatize and trying to comfort me, I was like lose those feelings already and cannot relate (?) it's so weird my best friend told me that I left her in my feeling and I feel bad about that.
I hope you will find the best combination of meds you need for both symptoms. Lots of hugs for you

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Squiddy
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Yes this is indeed annoying. I often introduce my self again and again to the person that I have met once or even twice. The worse part is they remember me well so it was kinda awkward.

I also sometimes forget my feeling (?) I don't know if it makes sense. Sometimes like I get very emotional and tell my friend about it and when they start to emphatize and trying to comfort me, I was like lose those feelings already and cannot relate (?) it's so weird my best friend told me that I left her in my feeling and I feel bad about that.

I hope you will find the best combination of meds you need for both symptoms. Lots of hugs for you
I can relate to the feeling thing. Sometimes, I'll forget why I was feeling upset in the first place and I'll forget in a couple of days.

Thanks, because these cognition issues are a big reason I want to ctb :)

• Hugs
A

Alamonocuricu

Apr 23, 2021
I can relate to the feeling thing. Sometimes, I'll forget why I was feeling upset in the first place and I'll forget in a couple of days.

Thanks, because these cognition issues are a big reason I want to ctb :)
It's so nice to know someone who can relate. :)

I understand. It's so damn frustrating to be played by our brain like that. I hope you get better and got to enjoy more things, though. ❤❤❤❤❤

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
It's so nice to know someone who can relate. :)

I understand. It's so damn frustrating to be played by our brain like that. I hope you get better and got to enjoy more things, though. ❤❤❤❤❤
Yeah it is frustrating. Just a few more days til my appointment and I get to hear whether I can start a stimulant or not. Red Bull seems to help out in the mean time, though they're expensive. It helps me with my motivation and I focus slightly better. No effect on my memory though. It still sucks

• Hugs
E

ElizabethsFault

Had an abusive therapist
Jun 9, 2021
I am currently 25 and never actually diagnosed with ADHD. However, I experienced most of the symptoms and I assume I have it. I have passed my hardest year struggling with it, though.

I have always been considered as an academically gifted child, and never had problems in school. I have always been the best in every class so I can see why people never see me as having trouble organizing my life or focusing on things.

The most severe time for me was when I work on my bachelor thesis. I was overly perfectionist, always confused, not realistic with my target, cannot stop reading the materials and busy finding too much data without actually start the writing until 1 year later. I was so anxious and stresses about starting it and procrastinate a lot. I also act very impulsively and having a lot of affairs that eventually ruin my relationships.

For the past 2 years, though, I feel like the symptoms are quite manageable. Sometimes I don't even think I still have ADHD anymore because of how high functioning and productive I am now.

However, I can see that the pattern is actually still quite fluctuative. I would have some period of several months of super high productivity, but then I would be like "off" For one month or so, where I would like mot aware of my surroundings and past time without realizing it. It's like I use the autopilot mode.

Another thing that still lingers and bother me a lot is I never have a regulae sleep schedule. I often become extremely hyperfocus that I would not sleep until 9 am or even 12 noon. I have poor self control, tend to binge eat and getting fat, and have failed to stop smoking eventhough I have wanted to stop since forever. I am also very slow in my effort to understand social cues better.

Sorry that this writing is super diorganized. I just want to know if there are any of you here who are also high functioning ADHD and how is your experience?

Thanks if you're willing to read and respond to this. :) cheers
If you're a member of this site, I'm guessing you may suffer from depression. Depression can cause inattentiveness, a lack of motivation and can affect you differently, with your stress levels ever changing. Just a thought.

• Hugs
H

hyunmin

Dec 29, 2020
How do you hyper focus?
I am easily distracted so my focusing is not long.