• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Hank

Hank

Nov 29, 2018
Not long ago I subscribed to this forum. So, hello my fellow humans.

Anyway. Things are coming to an end at my place. In my search for the best and fail proof method, I think I found a good one, Hypothermia instigated with alcohol. Now i have seen thread similar here, but those were older, and I could not respond.

The reason why I concluded that hypothermia is the best method for me, is because many other methods have a risk on failing, and also, some of of the other methods might cost my family money. I do not have lots to pass on when I die, but for example in my country, when you jump in front of a train, the family has to pay for the costs to the train company for the cleanup, and the delay it might have caused. I would really like it when my close ones would inherit my money and house without deduction of the costs.

From what I have read from hypothermia, is that of course the initial part is rough, but the further the process gets, the less aggravating it gets. It's also almost impossible to fail. especially the way I plan to do it.

The plan is to drive to the north of Finland or Sweden, which is still quite far away from me (but i have a car), with a bottle of vodka and maybe some painkillers. Drive close to a nature reservation with little population density. and walk into the forest into the night. Winter is coming fast now. perhaps up there in December or January it can get down to -20C (-4F).

Get a nice spot, and start drinking. while taking of the outer layer of clothes, and just keep running until i get lost. That way there is no way back. And just sit down and start emptying the bottle. The alcohol might help a bit to through the extreme cold, and hypothermia will set in fast.

These are the symptoms of hypothermia, which i found online:

The signs and symptoms of the three different stages of hypothermia are:
  • First stage: shivering, reduced circulation;
  • Second stage: slow, weak pulse, slowed breathing, lack of co-ordination, irritability, confusion and sleepy behaviour;
  • Advanced stage: slow, weak or absent respiration and pulse.

I think At very low temperatures at night, while drinking alcohol, I will fairly quickly reach stage 3, which probably means i will hardly notice anything. And I won't really freeze to death. Because death should set in just because organs and the heart can't coop with this low body temperature.

As far as I have understood from everything I've read from hypothermia, this method will guarantee my death within an hour. And, in the night with -20C, I'll probably be in shock within 15-20 minutes, and be unconscious. And perhaps i will be found after the winter.

Has anyone more info on this method? Or perhaps some tips to get through the first phase?

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Pegasus and 6 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Sounds like a plan that may work. Just make sure that you aren't discovered by anybody around and that you are really, really secluded for sure. Also, be aware of paradoxical undressing, which is when your body experiences extreme heat (from being too cold) and removes a lot of clothes which causes you to freeze even faster. If anything, I think as long as you reach a secluded area and not found for a significant amount of time, then it's about 100% guaranteed that you will die of the cold.

Reactions: _Minsk, sif, Lifeisatrap and 3 others
C

checking out

Sep 17, 2018
Not long ago I subscribed to this forum. So, hello my fellow humans.

Anyway. Things are coming to an end at my place. In my search for the best and fail proof method, I think I found a good one, Hypothermia instigated with alcohol. Now i have seen thread similar here, but those were older, and I could not respond.

The reason why I concluded that hypothermia is the best method for me, is because many other methods have a risk on failing, and also, some of of the other methods might cost my family money. I do not have lots to pass on when I die, but for example in my country, when you jump in front of a train, the family has to pay for the costs to the train company for the cleanup, and the delay it might have caused. I would really like it when my close ones would inherit my money and house without deduction of the costs.

From what I have read from hypothermia, is that of course the initial part is rough, but the further the process gets, the less aggravating it gets. It's also almost impossible to fail. especially the way I plan to do it.

The plan is to drive to the north of Finland or Sweden, which is still quite far away from me (but i have a car), with a bottle of vodka and maybe some painkillers. Drive close to a nature reservation with little population density. and walk into the forest into the night. Winter is coming fast now. perhaps up there in December or January it can get down to -20C (-4F).

Get a nice spot, and start drinking. while taking of the outer layer of clothes, and just keep running until i get lost. That way there is no way back. And just sit down and start emptying the bottle. The alcohol might help a bit to through the extreme cold, and hypothermia will set in fast.

These are the symptoms of hypothermia, which i found online:

The signs and symptoms of the three different stages of hypothermia are:
  • First stage: shivering, reduced circulation;
  • Second stage: slow, weak pulse, slowed breathing, lack of co-ordination, irritability, confusion and sleepy behaviour;
  • Advanced stage: slow, weak or absent respiration and pulse.

I think At very low temperatures at night, while drinking alcohol, I will fairly quickly reach stage 3, which probably means i will hardly notice anything. And I won't really freeze to death. Because death should set in just because organs and the heart can't coop with this low body temperature.

As far as I have understood from everything I've read from hypothermia, this method will guarantee my death within an hour. And, in the night with -20C, I'll probably be in shock within 15-20 minutes, and be unconscious. And perhaps i will be found after the winter.

Has anyone more info on this method? Or perhaps some tips to get through the first phase?

Thanks for reading.

Hey there mate. That's an interesting method and not one I've come across or thought of. It reminded me of a story my friend told me from when he was working in Canada. Apparently someone he knew got drunk one night at the ski resort, and fell over/passed out by the side of the road during the walk home. They found him dead the next day. So perhaps you could just sit down somewhere comfy in the forest, take sleeping pills, drink vodka quickly, and then you'll probably just pass out without the discomfort of feeling the cold at all. There's a nurse/health professional on this site but I can't remember his/her name - but he/she would probably be a good person to talk to. Does anyone else know who I mean?

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Pegasus and 5 others
C

checking out

Sep 17, 2018
@gingerplum

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kdawg2018 and 3 others
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
I've briefly discussed this idea with another member here via PM. It sounds like it might work.

A couple suggestions:

1) Don't wear wool or synthetic; wear cotton. Cotton won't keep you warm, so should accellerate the hypothermia.
2) Either get yourself wet, or while you're running into the wilderness make sure to get yourself sweated up. Being wet accellerates heat loss.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Pegasus and 3 others
Lunaemoth

Lunaemoth

Dec 14, 2018
That's really interesting. I haven't read up on this method, but I can see how painkillers and alcohol would make it less brutal. I could never do it, I hate the cold too much and would probably give up on the car ride out there. Its good of you to consider your family before you go as well. I don't have anything to leave mine, so I'm just hoping they'll cremate me as cheaply as possible and won't stress over it.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Pegasus and 2 others
Hank

Hank

Nov 29, 2018
Sounds like a plan that may work. Just make sure that you aren't discovered by anybody around and that you are really, really secluded for sure. Also, be aware of paradoxical undressing, which is when your body experiences extreme heat (from being too cold) and removes a lot of clothes which causes you to freeze even faster. If anything, I think as long as you reach a secluded area and not found for a significant amount of time, then it's about 100% guaranteed that you will die of the cold.

Up north in finland the population densitity is superlow. No people at all live in the areas that I have selected.

Hey there mate. That's an interesting method and not one I've come across or thought of. It reminded me of a story my friend told me from when he was working in Canada. Apparently someone he knew got drunk one night at the ski resort, and fell over/passed out by the side of the road during the walk home. They found him dead the next day. So perhaps you could just sit down somewhere comfy in the forest, take sleeping pills, drink vodka quickly, and then you'll probably just pass out without the discomfort of feeling the cold at all. There's a nurse/health professional on this site but I can't remember his/her name - but he/she would probably be a good person to talk to. Does anyone else know who I mean?

Yes. I'm not really into drugs or medical drugs. But I've been able to get hold of some Lorazepam, which is supposed to makes one sleepy. I never had them before, so i think even one will be enough. More might cause vomiting and/o increase discomfort.

I've briefly discussed this idea with another member here via PM. It sounds like it might work.

A couple suggestions:

1) Don't wear wool or synthetic; wear cotton. Cotton won't keep you warm, so should accellerate the hypothermia.
2) Either get yourself wet, or while you're running into the wilderness make sure to get yourself sweated up. Being wet accellerates heat loss.

Realistically, I don't think it matters what I will wear ( not bashing your advice though), if it is just one layer of clothing. This is not a movie. More north in Finland during winter it can get really cold. And at night, in a forest covered with snow at -15C or -20 C with wind, and no place to take shelter my body should not be able to coop with the loss of heat. The running part is a good advice indeed. Should give the body the idea of warming up, while actually it's losing heat fast and pushing the liver to the max in trying to regulate the temperature. By the time I stop running I will also be lost, since everything will look the same in a forest at pitch black night time. So survival instinct will have no chance.

That's really interesting. I haven't read up on this method, but I can see how painkillers and alcohol would make it less brutal. I could never do it, I hate the cold too much and would probably give up on the car ride out there. Its good of you to consider your family before you go as well. I don't have anything to leave mine, so I'm just hoping they'll cremate me as cheaply as possible and won't stress over it.

Yes I got this Idea of an article on a news site about a french couple who booked a hotel room in a ski resort. They went outside at night, with a bottle of booze. And both died of hypothermia on purpose. It was suicide. Luckily I can stand cold very well.

To have some consideration for your family/close ones should be the first thing to think about. Admittedly, I am not depressed at all ( in my case it's a conscious decision to end my life) , which might help me to think this through more clearly. Plus my wife is the best, and she does not deserve more trouble. Leaving her, will already leave her devastated, but then add financial problems to it, would be an absolutely horrific act. She deserves better. And I am insured. And as far as I have read the small prints, this will still leave her with a pay out. Perhaps I should make it look more accidental.

Anyway, thank you all for even thinking this through.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Pegasus and 4 others
Sinbad

Sinbad

Self-Annihilation is loading...95%
Nov 27, 2018
Don't do it!

What about the cost to find you? The rescue mission.. serach troops etc?
The pain you will inflict to your family (for months maybe) for not knowing about your whereabouts?
Your family won't inherit anything as long as you are still missing, right?
If you give me more time I could list more reasons not to do it!

and what about you? Don't you want to die with as little pain as possible? Could it be that you want to punish yourself? Do you think you deserve to die this way?

Why don't you simply hang yourself in the woods? (like other suicidals)

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kdawg2018 and 1 other person
Sanguinius

Sanguinius

Chicken of ss
Aug 9, 2018
Welcome!
It was my favourite method for long, and is still very attractive. With alcohol it will be a peaceful death, I think. I often hear from people here which went to a bar, and on their way back home, they fell asleep, and in the morning they were found dead.
If you take enough alcohol, it shouldn't be painful. If you get sleepy, It's the best.
If you are in water around 0 degree, it will take around 8 Minutes.
If you combime this method with i.e. partial, it will be very very sure.
Btw, have you thought about jumping from preikestolen? This would be super sure and immediately too.

Good luck!

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kdawg2018 and 2 others
SiArc

SiArc

sassy and sarcastic-y
Dec 10, 2018
Don't do it!

The pain you will inflict to your family (for months maybe) for not knowing about your whereabouts?

and what about you? Don't you want to die with as little pain as possible? Could it be that you want to punish yourself? Do you think you deserve to die this way?

They said they are trying to make sure their family gets the money. Hanging would completely invalidate the insurance.

It is a good plan. Maybe say you want to take a drive and let them know the general direction. Would help in the search. There are ways to make the chances better to be found without making it look suspicious.

Hank

Hank

Nov 29, 2018
Don't do it!

Well, there will be no rescue mission, since I will do this in a foreign country. And I will leave my ID on me. I will just get found. Perhaps there will be transport costs. It is true that while I am missing, nothing will be arranged, but we are not in financial trouble at all. so they will manage that aspect.

No I don't want to punish myself. That would be the ego talking. The same goes for deserving or not deserving. Like I mentioned, I am not depressed, nor sad nor angry at all. As a matter of fact, I'm actually content with how my life went. Just some random fact. Even if i did nothing impressive, my dog, that died 2 years ago, I took her out of a pet shelter, I gave that dog the best life and home. With attention, activities in nature, and food. So I can think back in certain satisfaction. I already succeeded. So no, no reason to punish myself. And it is not a punishment.

Hanging sounds terrible to me. Pain, anxiety and failure are some terms that I associate with this method. Especially because It requires a state of mind that I do not have. You have to be in real despair to even succeed with hanging. I don't have that. I am not depressed at all, nor am I in despair. Mine is a rather calculated decision, and the method can have no fail safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kdawg2018 and 2 others
Hank

Hank

Nov 29, 2018
Welcome!
It was my favourite method for long, and is still very attractive. With alcohol it will be a peaceful death, I think. I often hear from people here which went to a bar, and on their way back home, they fell asleep, and in the morning they were found dead.
If you take enough alcohol, it shouldn't be painful. If you get sleepy, It's the best.
If you are in water around 0 degree, it will take around 8 Minutes.
If you combime this method with i.e. partial, it will be very very sure.
Btw, have you thought about jumping from preikestolen? This would be super sure and immediately too.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah that is what I thought. That it would be a rather peaceful and painfull way to die. Also, I dont think i will find unfrozen water up there. And even if I could, I would not use that. I think it would only add to the discomfort.

jumping of preikestolen is not for me. That's a violent act.

I will go for hypothermia within the next 2 months whenever the weather is best suited, and I've found most decent opportunity to leave. Currently its about -12C at night, at the place I have selected, which is already sufficient enough. It will get colder soon though.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kdawg2018 and 1 other person
gingerplum

gingerplum

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2018
@gingerplum
Hey there. I'm flattered that you mentioned me, but I can't even pretend that this is my area of expertise. I don't know any more than the average person about hypothermia, and as a native Floridian, I've never seen it in person. I watch movies like Fargo with a sense of wonder and astonishment: Wow, people live in that?!? That snow is waist deep! Here, spending a night outdoors in January would result in nothing more serious than moderate discomfort.

That said, it certainly sounds like a viable method, and-- while I can't speak authoritatively on this, it sure sounds like it would be written off as "death by misadventure" by law enforcement and the insurance companies.

Reactions: sif, Redt2go, Lifeisatrap and 2 others
Sinbad

Sinbad

Self-Annihilation is loading...95%
Nov 27, 2018
I am not depressed at all, nor am I in despair.
Avoiding old ago I assume..

Ok. Now partial hanging is not necessarily painful if done right. And you are unconscious within seconds.

Anyways go for it then if you are sure about this method.

But for me, just thinking about the cold makes me extremely uncomfortable. Therefore, I do not understand someone trying to die this way.

Good luck to you, Hank. :)

M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
I have considered this method but my biggest worry is being found with frostbite. But then I live nowhere near a snowy and deserted area. It sounds like a peaceful way to go if you get it right, especially with a sleeping tablet and alcohol.

Reactions: sif, Redt2go, Lifeisatrap and 6 others
Hank

Hank

Nov 29, 2018
That said, it certainly sounds like a viable method, and-- while I can't speak authoritatively on this, it sure sounds like it would be written off as "death by misadventure" by law enforcement and the insurance companies.

yes, that was my thought. Especially since it will be costly to examine the remains. Insurance companies base their actions on cost benefit analysis. And it might very well that my remains will be used by animals for food, which would probably make analysis even more costly then the worth of the payout.

Anyway, this thread actually helped me out thinking things through. And I think It's good.

So thanks all. And hopefully good things will happen to you all.

Last edited:
S

sólstafir

Experienced
Nov 1, 2018
Do you know how long the first stage lasts until you get to that second stage? I guess it depends on temperature. Buuut.. I don't think the first stage is only 'unpleasant', it's more than that, it's painful as hell! I'm living in a country where winters can get really cold. Feeling you're loosing your fingers and toes was so, so painful yuccck... But I guess you'll reach to the point when they're completely numb eventually.
When I first got suicidal I also bought a bottle of rum and went to drink that in cold night in forest trying to freeze myself to death, but I just got back home being drunk :D It's too unreliable for me, I must have a more concrete plan than 'I guess I'll start drinking now and wait for death'. But seems like you've thought it more through.

M

Mixk009

Nov 26, 2018
I've thought about freezing with xans/opiates/alcohol, but idk there's just too much room for error. I don't want to be found with frost bite. Also I'm not sure if it'll be painful. I live in a city too, but there is a forest near me that should provide be able to hide me away from people at night... Idk

I don't even have money for any drugs so rip.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kingkelly and 3 others
Kdawg2018

Kdawg2018

Still here...
Nov 10, 2018
Why not go on a ski trip and crash off trail? Its a common way ppl die. Also alcohol will help u die faster in the cold. When ppl in midwest crash in snow and are trapped, they think alcohol will keep them warm and help stay alive, but it doesnt...

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Kingkelly
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I've thought of this method, but I hate being cold. So that's a no for me.

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kingkelly and 2 others
B

Be brave

Dec 7, 2018
yes, that was my thought. Especially since it will be costly to examine the remains. Insurance companies base their actions on cost benefit analysis. And it might very well that my remains will be used by animals for food, which would probably make analysis even more costly then the worth of the payout.

Anyway, this thread actually helped me out thinking things through. And I think It's good.

So thanks all. And hopefully good things will happen to you all.

Are you sure the animals won't try to eat you while you're still alive? That would be a horrific development . I know nothing about wildlife though so I fear this question could end up making me look stupid!

Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, Kingkelly and 1 other person
Kdawg2018

Kdawg2018

Still here...
Nov 10, 2018
Thats a real threat depending on what animals live out there. In winter, I've had bears or mountain lions about in the snow

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Kingkelly
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Dear Hank (if you are still with us),

I can offer you comments on two practical matters. First, you should be aware that in northern Sweden or Finland in midwinter, the snow is often deep and soft. You might not be able to get far without snowshoes, and "running" would probably be out of the question. It might be difficult to get far from a road. (Long ago I did some cross-country skiing in that area in winter, and even with skis it was difficult.) Second, have you considered not eating for several days (up to a week) before you travel there? That would deplete your body's energy reserves, so you would not be able to maintain normal body temperate for as long as usual.

Hypothermia and death can occur very rapidly at much milder temperatures - close to freezing point - if it is also wet and windy. (That is why there are so many accidental deaths by hypothermia in the mountains in Scotland.) That offers an alternative if you are concerned about waking up with frostbite.

This method of suicide has been filed away in the back of my mind for half a century, in case I ever need to take matters into my own hands. While at school a friend related to me how his mother, who was Russian, had to make a long forced march in the Russian winter during word war 2. She became very tired, and eventually all she wanted to do was to "lie down in the nice warm snow" - her words. Her companions forced her to go on, which is how she came to tell the tale. I realised then that it's not a bad way to go - especially for someone like myself who has spent some of her best years in the outdoors.

If I ever need to do this, I would prefer not to use alcohol or sleeping pills. I reckon that if I can't do it with a clear head I probably shouldn't be doing it at all. But that's just my personal view, and others need not feel the same way.