• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

loslassen

loslassen

call me June
Dec 8, 2023
pls lmk if this should go in the recovery section, though I don't think so, they didn't do too much to help me and I want to share that here.

I texted a suicide prevention line for the first time today, it didn't go too bad, but the replies were too dry and made me question if I was talking to a real person, all they did was recognize what I said and make very direct questions such as if I was planning to ctb and how, they looked empathic, but it was like talking to a wall kind of, they tried giving me resources but couldn't since I refused to tell them my state and such, I left the chat open as I had to do other things but since I took over 20 min they ended the conversation on me.

much to say the least, I was curious to see if they could make me feel better and "prevent my suicide" I never threatened but I did share my intentions recently. I wouldn't call it a bad experience, but certainly disappointing. I want to call a line eventually hoping they might say something nice though they'll unlikely change my mind, but I don't have a phone number atm and I don't want them tracking my number or anything if they perceive I'm being a threat to myself.

Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
It's a blur so forgive me for any vagueness.

Usually like talking to a wall, hotline or text. Therapy gets a lot of hate here but you're genuinely better off throwing away hundreds in an attempt to do therapy than using the hotline to help you stop being genuinely suicidal. You could probably talk to them about other stuff and it might help, but ultimately they never helped me feel any less suicidal.

When I was so depressed that I could not leave my bed, a kind lady on the hotline talked me into eating and taking a shower. It wasn't about suicide, just depression that way on its way to suicidal thoughts, but she did genuinely help me in that instant. I really did feel better after that phone call. That's just one instance though.

anastenka

anastenka

Rosa
Apr 25, 2024
they are such a pain in the ass omg,, I texted one last year, maybe September??? i had to sit there from 1am to 6am talking to someone who 1, took like 20 minutes to reply to each message and 2, threatened to call the police on me if I fell asleep and ended the chat. they are NOT worth the hassle, believe me, they will spout some nonsense about how they understand but at the end of the day they're probably just as tired as you, just wanting to get the day over with. don't bother

painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
i text the UK one (I think called Shout or something similar) a few months after it was released. To my knowledge I didn't say anything concerning yet after 3 or 4 messages police turned up at my door. I then had to wait about 5 hours with them just sat watching me in my house, because I refused to go to hospital with them, until mental health team arrived (its about 3am by this time) who spoke to me for 2 minutes and advised I speak to my GP in the next few days.
0/10 - wouldn't recommend, they escalate things without any reason

loslassen

loslassen

call me June
Dec 8, 2023
i text the UK one (I think called Shout or something similar) a few months after it was released. To my knowledge I didn't say anything concerning yet after 3 or 4 messages police turned up at my door. I then had to wait about 5 hours with them just sat watching me in my house, because I refused to go to hospital with them, until mental health team arrived (its about 3am by this time) who spoke to me for 2 minutes and advised I speak to my GP in the next few days.
sounds horrible..

Saturn_

Saturn_

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
Apr 22, 2024
Called a text lifeline when I was 12-13. They got the police called on me because I hung up abruptly.

Reactions: HereTomorrow
T

TheUnkn0wn

Jul 2, 2021
I've called/texted a line a couple times in the past. The person on the other end asked plenty of questions and held a conversation enough to try and change my mindset.

The last time I called, I was in absolute crisis, had a plan, explained it to them and ended the call with no help. I woke up the next morning, became a missing person and attempted to ctb.

The times I texted a line, the responses were extremely, extreeeeemly slow. A similar set of standard questions were asked, then I was literally given links to colouring books to try and keep myself occupied. It was of no help to me personally

painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
sounds horrible..
I have heard that samaritans wont call police even if you tell them you are actively ctb while talking to them but after my experience already I wouldn't want to risk it.
If you are looking for somebody to just talk to though, without any mention of suicide, they sound ideal. I am aware nearly every reply here is negative experiences so just wanted to give an option which might work if thats going to be helpful for you

T

thenamingofcats

annihilation anxiety
Apr 19, 2024
That's plain harassment. It makes me wonder if we're putting ourselves at risk just by being on this site.

bussy

bussy

“my sin, my soul”
Mar 30, 2023
i emailed them one time and never again, theyre pretty much useless. replied to me saying "oh it sounds like youre going through a lot right now, why do u feel this way" and that was pretty much where i just gave up trying to seek for any more "professional" help

Wormfood

Wormfood

I like people... I said it
May 23, 2022
You have a better chance at winning at a slot machine than finding help. I think they're reading from a script. A lot of them have no idea where we are coming from. They're just saying what they're tried to say
They're also incentived to keep you alive because of consequences they will receive. Your misery isn't as important to them. They just want you to suffer in silence and pretend you're okay. To hell with them.

sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
They do absolutely nothing, the conversation always just goes:
"Hi how can I help?" "that sounds tough. Are you thinking about hurting yourself?" "okay, can you tell me what you plan on doing?" "okay, well can you [not use whatever method] and calm down?" "ok call back if you need to bye"

loslassen

loslassen

call me June
Dec 8, 2023
"Hi how can I help?" "that sounds tough. Are you thinking about hurting yourself?" "okay, can you tell me what you plan on doing?" "okay, well can you [not use whatever method] and calm down?" "ok call back if you need to bye"
the "that sounds tough" is so real, like why

F

Forveleth

I knew I forgot to do something when I was 15...
Mar 26, 2024
Bonus points if they mention "go for a walk" or "take a bath" as a solution.

PINKIESISU

PINKIESISU

Apr 21, 2024
pls lmk if this should go in the recovery section, though I don't think so, they didn't do too much to help me and I want to share that here.

I texted a suicide prevention line for the first time today, it didn't go too bad, but the replies were too dry and made me question if I was talking to a real person, all they did was recognize what I said and make very direct questions such as if I was planning to ctb and how, they looked empathic, but it was like talking to a wall kind of, they tried giving me resources but couldn't since I refused to tell them my state and such, I left the chat open as I had to do other things but since I took over 20 min they ended the conversation on me.

much to say the least, I was curious to see if they could make me feel better and "prevent my suicide" I never threatened but I did share my intentions recently. I wouldn't call it a bad experience, but certainly disappointing. I want to call a line eventually hoping they might say something nice though they'll unlikely change my mind, but I don't have a phone number atm and I don't want them tracking my number or anything if they perceive I'm being a threat to myself.
Why would I waste my time and energy talking to a service that I don't support and I do not feel the same way that they do unless secretly I truly didn't want to die which I do so no I have never dealt with any of those programs and never will if you do and you have the desire to do it then maybe you aren't suicidal and if you can survive and be in this life and be okay with it then I don't see a problem with that

Thx4DFish

Thx4DFish

Swimming with the Fishies 🫧
Feb 29, 2024
Useless in the long term, but got me one hell of a good laugh once. Suicide and adjacent dark humor genuinely cheers me up when I long for the bus stop, but one time I was so desperate I called. Nobody picked up after 30 minutes and I laughed so hard and made my day a little better.

homesoon.

homesoon.

i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶.̶
Apr 15, 2024

I have contacted a hotline several times. In my experience, I wouldn't say it is a good place to try and talk yourself down with. If anything, it's a place to provide a distraction until you wear yourself down. As prior members have said, it almost felt like they had a script to run off of (which I understand; you never know how many people they talk to in a given day); but it didn't feel personal at all enough for it to be 100% sincere. I haven't done a physical phone call, purely because I didn't think I could handle it. But, even if you're just texting them (for example), it feels as though it could be taken more personably without having to take the risk of saying, "I'm going to kill myself right now."

Cut to the chase: In personal experience, I support crisis hotlines, but they have HUGE room for improvement with actually meeting the needs of those they serve.

Last edited:
SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
So I'm in Canada and I contacted a crisis help line last night. I can definitely say it was very awkward and I didn't end up talking to them very long. I can see how it could be helpful, but really all she said was that I it sounds like I'm tired and burnt out and that if I'm a danger to myself I should find support. Idk, it wasn't great, but at least the person I talked to was nice. I could see myself resorting to this again if I was lonely enough, idk.

Reactions: Patches
Felodese

Felodese

Mar 31, 2024
All the stories of having the cops show up at your house... 😬 Makes me glad the suicide hotline in my country is completely anonymous.
I've contacted them a couple of times when I've been really desperate for someone to talk to, and it's been kind of a mixed bag. Mostly the usual "that must be so difficult for you" and "think of your family". One kept trying to get me to call the emergency services on myself... But there was one time where I ended up having a pretty good talk with the guy, mostly because he gave up on trying to instill hope in me and went off script. I might have slightly killed his spirit, though....

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking
LilysAngel

LilysAngel

Student
Apr 30, 2024
I volunteered with a hotline for years. I personally wouldn't call one because I know how they train you. I know what they're going to say, what they're allowed to say and what they're ultimately going to do. It would be pointless in my case.

However, I do believe they can be very beneficial for some.

Reactions: pilotviolin