リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
So I have ADHD, which among many "fun" things also means that my sleeping schedule is completely fucked, thanks to never being consistent with anything. These days I go to sleep at around 9-10AM and wake up at 7-8PM.

Used to be okay with it, but now I'm noticing that it has worsened my physical and mental health. I don't live alone now, so having to tiptoe and stay quiet at night is an absolute nightmare to me. I also tend to talk to myself out loud, which I obviously cannot do when there is a person sleeping in a room next to me. I'm fed up and determined to fix this.

Problem is, I've been trying to do that for weeks now, and I always give in and go to sleep out of exhaustion. Caffeine doesn't affect me. Basically, nothing but sheer determination and distraction helps, so I'm hoping that today I can finally stay awake out of spite - because I genuinely want to change this situation.

Anyway, would love to hear some of your personal experiences or any tips, because I desperately need all the distractions I can get my hands on lol

Reactions: Harrow
Harrow

Harrow

Aug 20, 2023
I often stay up for 24-48 hours in order to get work done for tight deadlines. In these cases I have adrenaline and practice on my side lol, but I also highly recommend just eating and drinking. Whenever you feel tired try to eat a little bit of something and drink some water. Also just keeping yourself as busy as possible so you can't think about how tired you are. Good luck, I also have a disordered sleep schedule and I know how much it can get in the way of life.

Reactions: リンさん
リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
I often stay up for 24-48 hours in order to get work done for tight deadlines. In these cases I have adrenaline and practice on my side lol, but I also highly recommend just eating and drinking. Whenever you feel tired try to eat a little bit of something and drink some water. Also just keeping yourself as busy as possible so you can't think about how tired you are. Good luck, I also have a disordered sleep schedule and I know how much it can get in the way of life.
Thank you for the advice! Keeping busy and eating some nice carb rich food definitely helps with the energy levels. Will try to do my best😅

Harrow

Harrow

Aug 20, 2023
But to be honest, it might just be easier to go back to sleep if you have 8 hours to spare. Say you wake up at 8pm, take a melatonin, fall back asleep at 9pm, then wake up at a reasonable hour in the morning. I'd try that if this doesn't work out.

リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
But to be honest, it might just be easier to go back to sleep if you have 8 hours to spare. Say you wake up at 8pm, take a melatonin, fall back asleep at 9pm, then wake up at a reasonable hour in the morning. I'd try that if this doesn't work out.
Yeah, it'd definitely be easier this way tbh. So far I'm doing fine and feeling decent, so I'll try to hold out. In case it gets too bad I'm going to follow your advice. Thank you :)

• Love
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
I'd suggest you try a gradual change. Maybe stay up till midday. Then set an alarm for 4pm. Hopefully you'd have the energy to stay awake until late. At night I'd go to bed, maybe midnight and get up at 4. Hopefully you will get some sleep at night but if you don't resist the temptation to go straight to bed. Wait until midday, then go to bed and set the alarm for 4pm. As things improve, and I hope they do, you can reduce your daytime sleep and inceease your night sleep.

Perhaps this idea doesn't appeal.

リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
I'd suggest you try a gradual change. Maybe stay up till midday. Then set an alarm for 4pm. Hopefully you'd have the energy to stay awake until late. At night I'd go to bed, maybe midnight and get up at 4. Hopefully you will get some sleep at night but if you don't resist the temptation to go straight to bed. Wait until midday, then go to bed and set the alarm for 4pm. As things improve, and I hope they do, you can reduce your daytime sleep and inceease your night sleep.

Perhaps this idea doesn't appeal.
Gradual is definitely the best way overall, unfortunately it's very hard for me since I get severe anxiety when waking up at an hour I'm not used to (either has to be early morning or evening before 8PM), I usually end up waking up too early anyway and then I'm not able to fall asleep again. It's a convoluted mess to say the least, lol

But thank you nonetheless for trying to help, I appreciate it a lot!

F&Inside

F&Inside

🌊🌊🌊
Aug 9, 2023
Hello.
I understand you perfectly, I always suffered from insomnia and when I lived with my family, I was very worried about not making noises. I felt very uncomfortable. Being alone awake at night. Unfortunately that feeling never went away, only until you lived alone and you achieve serenity. What I did at those times was read or watch something and try not to move from the room. Good luck.

• Hugs
cosifantutti

cosifantutti

Student
Aug 27, 2023
Gradual is definitely the best way overall, unfortunately it's very hard for me since I get severe anxiety when waking up at an hour I'm not used to (either has to be early morning or evening before 8PM), I usually end up waking up too early anyway and then I'm not able to fall asleep again. It's a convoluted mess to say the least, lol

But thank you nonetheless for trying to help, I appreciate it a lot!
Anxiety is a nasty thing and when it involves your sleep it's worse. I know from experience.

Well I hope you manage to solve this. Take care x

• Love