• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

OneMoreStep

OneMoreStep

Dec 3, 2020
I've read a few people want to die because they are losing their homes...and I also can empathize how scary the unknown can be.

I've learned how to survive homeless for the last 3 years. It sucks, but no lifestyle is without cons anyway. If you are built for it and know what youre doing, I would go as far to say some positive things about it. That's probably a coping mechanism of mine, but trust me, homelessness isn't rock bottom. You legitimately wouldn't believe how hard the lives of some I've met are. Some of them are even happy still.

The streets don't come with a handbook. You either learn the hard way or somebody adopts you as a "street brother/sister" and they school you and watch out for you.

Keep in mind, I'm from Canada, and I'm one person. I have many others experiences in my outlook, but there are specifics about your location that I may not know. Not every country and city have the same resources, so what works for me might not work for you...still, I believe it's valuable to have some insight into the life if it's something you may experience.

Anyway, if you have any questions, anything you thought too rude to ask, just shoot away. There are no dumb questions, only stupid answers, so pressure is on me lol.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
How do you eat when you have 0 money? Or how do you get at least a little bit of money for food? Do you starve for some days or do you always manage to get something everyday?

Reactions: OneMoreStep
OneMoreStep

OneMoreStep

Dec 3, 2020
How do you eat when you have 0 money? Or how do you get at least a little bit of money for food? Do you starve for some days or do you always manage to get something everyday?

There are multiple shelters and organizations that hand out 3 meals a day to anybody who lines up. The portions are usually impressive, quality is average as you're eating leftovers/expired but safe food. Lots of groups like hockey teams and schools do regular food/cloth donation drives around the shelter areas fairly frequently. Food banks are also a option once every few weeks.

Assuming you live in a place with shelters, there are likely places for free food. No government is going to put in place homeless resources without including places to get fed. Nobody would use the resources because we would die of hunger.

The down side is, it takes a majority of your day, and it's not typically a drama free experience. 1-2 hour line ups, figuring out a way to get there if you can't walk, etc..there are perfectly legit reasons you can miss a meal or two. Like if you're actually working, you may go hungry before the first paycheque because you obviously don't have time to line up anywhere. Most shelters will hook you up with a sand which and fruit in the morning if you are going to work though.

Even just google "free food in my city" and you might be surprised. The people you see in the same spot everyday asking for change for food? Yea they are likely working. When they are truly starving, they know where to go.

I'm lucky to live where I live. Some places don't have anything. In that case, you budget food. You can go 3 weeks without food. If you can't hustle a way to feed yourself a couple times every 3 weeks, you ain't trying.

Obviously that's not sustainable..but between the kindness of others, government programs, and brushing up on survival skills, food shouldn't be your main concern. You will be in a constant struggle and never get out if you are forever on a hunt for food. Figure out how to keep yourself fed, then move onto the next problem lol

Last edited: